Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2008
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 111 Minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Cantonese
Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart, Cameron Boyce
Directed by: Alexandre Aja
Music by: Javier Navarrete
Written by: Alexandre Aja & Gregory Levasseur
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 13, 2009

"There is evil….on the other side"

Film Synopsis:

Attempting to pick up the shattered pieces of his life, a disgraced former cop (Sutherland) takes a routine security job guarding the charred ruins of the once-famous Mayflower department store in New York. But the terrifying ominous images he sees in the building’s ornate mirrors will send him on a pulse-pounding mission to unravel the secrets of the store’s past...before they destroy his entire family!

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=129919&d=1232050192

I guess it would be fair to say that I like horror films as a rule. Supernatural elements are tolerable for me as long as they don’t involve the demonic possession of the kids. The trailer for Mirrors looked okay although seeing Kiefer Sutherland in the lead didn’t inspire lots of confidence. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with him but as it stands currently I have a hard time seeing him as any character other than Jack Bauer (from Fox’s “24”). This film’s screenplay tells a disjointed tale about The Mayflower Department store fire that occurred 5 years earlier as the result of arson. The arsonist (who is identified later in the film) set the fire in an attempt to destroy the mirrors in the store as he claimed that they were evil. The story opens with a night watchman who seems to be running from something although there is no one apparently present. He ultimately ends up in front of a mirror in a subway locker room and begins begging for his life. His reflection takes a shard of glass and cuts its throat. This simultaneously cuts his throat and kills him. Ben Carson (Sutherland) is then introduced as a former undercover cop who left the job after an accidental on duty shooting. He is estranged from his wife and two kids, is living with his sister Angela (Smart) and seems to be trying to get his life back on track. He takes a night security job at the site of the burned remains of the Mayflower Department store which is required by the insurance company. His first night at work he notices that every mirror located in the burned out remains is intact and as clean as a whistle. He also begins seeing and hearing things in their reflections that he doesn’t understand initially. After these visions become more intense and begin to manifest themselves not only physically but outside of the confines of the store’s mirrors, Ben begins to understand that he must find the answer to their origin.

There were aspects of this story that I liked and I think that as a horror movie it has its share of frightening moments. The problem lies in the screenplay which doesn’t follow a logical path that allows the story to flow smoothly. The truth behind what is occurring, and why, feels a little bit like an after thought which doesn’t make for a rewarding explanation later on. The ending has a bit of a twist which I thought was okay. Sutherland is his usual gravelly voiced, intense (ala Jack Bauer) self but I didn’t think it was a problem based upon the character he plays here. Paula Patton seems to be finding her way into lots of movies I have watched lately. I don’t think she is a great actress but her performance in this was fine. I like Amy Smart and was disappointed that she played such a small role. The special effects were quite good and feature a pretty impressive sequence involving Smart. I think that this movie is best enjoyed if you just sit back and take it in without hoping for answers to all of its questions. Seen in that light it is a half way decent horror/thriller. I watched the unrated cut which appears to add an additional minute of footage to the theatrical version.

Parental Guide:

This film contains strong violence, disturbing images, language, and brief nudity. Not for younger viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=129918&d=1232050192

Mirrors comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

This film has a pretty even balance between the use of dark and light elements. There are many sequences shot in the low light, many of which take place in the burned out department store. The walls are charcoal colored with an uneven blend of dark grays, blues and deep blacks. In contrast there are scenes such as those shot in the interior of Amy’s house, Michelle’s apartment and outside during the day that are well lit, colorful and bright. I was happy with the way both looked as the dark segments had excellent depth with appreciable shadow delineation and deep blacks. The brighter segments were punchy with crisp, dynamic whites and notable object detail. Colors weren’t eye popping but they were naturally rendered and didn’t appear muted or flat. Images exhibited above average detail that on occasion rose to higher levels that made close ups very revealing. Long range shots appeared resolute with good dimensional depth and visible texture. Grain was intact and slightly uneven in texture which made its presence more obvious in certain scenes but I never felt that it was problematic.

Films like this rely heavily on their soundtracks to help enhance the build up of tension and to augment the intensity of jump scares. This is done primarily through the use of music and sound effects that correspond with what is occurring onscreen. I found that this DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix from Fox handles this very well through the use of bold dynamics, deep bass extension, and highly detailed sonics that play upon the aural senses. This is a crystal clear encoding that offers realistic reproduction of the elements in the recording so that it elevates the presence of eerie off camera sounds as well as those that are meant to be in your face. The creepy music score is intelligently coupled along with low frequency effects to punctuate jump scares and frightful moments with room filling orchestration and deep bass emphasis that occasionally reached sub bass depth. Voices were supremely textured with excellent tonal character and estimable room penetration. The surrounds were actively engaged during suspenseful moments and generated an immersive 360 degree sound field that heightened the “scary” experience. This didn’t apply solely to those segments though. There was plenty of atmospheric ambience and directional cues that made things like falling rain, echoing sounds or front to rear panning effects feel enveloping. I thought this mix complimented the film and sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Featurettes:

1. Anna Esseker hospital footage - short
    2. Reflections: The making of Mirrors – 48 minute featurette
    3. Behind the Mirror – 18 minute effects featurette
    4. Animated storyboard sequence – The bathroom scene

• 8 Deleted scenes and an alternate ending – with optional commentary

• Bonusview PiP – Mirror Images: Commentary with Director Alexandre Aja and Writer/Producer Gregory Levassuer

• Unrated and Theatrical versions of the film

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc – A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• D-Box Motion Code
attachment.php?attachmentid=129920&d=1232050192

Final Thoughts:

Mirrors isn’t the scariest or most original horror/thriller that I have seen but if looked at in the right light it has enough going for it to make it a decent rental on a dark stormy night. Fox has done a fine job with its presentation on Blu-ray disc as it offers great audio and solid video quality that is complimented by a good set of bonus features that unfortunately are not in high definition.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
coolio review.... checking this out tonight ...

J :-D
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman_99 View Post

coolio review.... checking this out tonight ...

J :-D

why do my dealer send King Kong,Bourne Collection which have a later week out for street date first,but no this title and Max Payne.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
EESEKER is scary as hell.I saw as a local dvd but want to see as BD,must sound great in DTSHDMA.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for opening up a slot in my queue, Ralph. With our dueling schedules and a 2-year-old, movie nights can be too rare to waste. Despite your last screen cap, I'll pass.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ralph,
Your final thoughts sum this movie up perfectly!!..I wish more BR rental copies were available around here .
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
There were aspects of this story that I liked and I think that as a horror movie it has its share of frightening moments. The problem lies in the screenplay which doesn't follow a logical path that allows the story to flow smoothly. The truth behind what is occurring, and why, feels a little bit like an after thought which doesn't make for a rewarding explanation later on. The ending has a bit of a twist which I thought was okay.

This sums it up pretty well for me.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

My 2 cents.

Not even close in the rental department. Direct TV maybe.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

IIRC, this was a (loose) remake of the Korean movie Into the Mirror. It was kind of a supernatural murder mystery, as apposed to horror. The commercials for this version imply its pushed much more towards the horror side of things.
J
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice review. I blind bought this being a huge fan of horror and Kiefer. Watched it this weekend, not horrible, not great, will keep it in my ever growing horror BD collection though.

I did notice some weak blacks on my Sammy A650, not sure if it's my set or the source. I should get it calibrated either way.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM

What differences are there between the unrated and rated cuts?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

IIRC, this was a (loose) remake of the Korean movie Into the Mirror. It was kind of a supernatural murder mystery, as apposed to horror. The commercials for this version imply its pushed much more towards the horror side of things.
J

When Asian horror stories are remade for American audiences, they tend to fall apart. On the other hand, American tend not to like Asian horror movies, because they don't make sense to us. The big problem is that we in the west like to have logical explanations for what happens. It is dissatisfying when there is not a logical reason for the ghosts to go haunting, and it is dissatisfying when the victims are seemingly random. Finally, and definitely not least, is that it is very dissatisfying when there is no closure or solution.

I think if you can get past this, Mirrors is a much better film. Ghosts haunt whoever for whatever reason and it just is.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I finally got around to seeing Mirrors recently, so thanks to Ralph for his review.

First, I thought even more highly of the video and audio than Ralph did. I thought they were both reference quality. In fact, I thought the soundtrack was the star of the show; it sometimes made me jump out of my skin.

I was less impressed with the movie itself. As someone else has noted, there is no pretense at closure and in the end the spooks and goblins win -- sort of. Nevertheless, suspense was nicely maintained and that, coupled with how great the film both looked and sounded, made me give it a pass, albeit marginally.

I was underwhelmed by the performances. Keifer Sutherland simply channels his tortured man of action, Jack Bauer, Schtick -- including at least four "Damn it!" lines, plus other such stuff we have become accustomed to hearing from Jack Bauer. I thought Paula Patton, the beautiful actress who plays Bauer, err, Ben Carson's wife, was simply awful. Based on what I saw here, she has come as far as she has on her looks and not much else. The rest of the cast were fine, particularly Amy Smart, as Carson's sister. She is a competent actress but, as Ralph noted, doesn't get to do much in this film.

If you have Mirrors on hand and have absolutely nothing better to do, by all means watch it. Otherwise, forget about it.