Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 110 Minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Thai/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Indonesian, Korean
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Kerry Washington, Patrick Wilson, Jay Hernandez, Ron Glass
Directed by: Neil Labute
Music by: Mychael Danna & Jeff Danna
Written by: David Loughery & Howard Korder
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 27, 2009

"What could be safer than living next door to a cop?"

Film Synopsis:

A young couple (Patrick Wilson and Kerry Washington) has just moved into their California dream home when they become the target of their next-door neighbor, who disapproves of their relationship. A stern, single father, this tightly wound LAPD officer (Samuel L. Jackson) has appointed himself the watchdog of the neighborhood. His nightly foot patrols and overly watchful eyes bring comfort to some, but he becomes increasingly aggressive to the newlyweds. These persistent intrusions into their lives cause the couple to fight back.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=130216&d=1232312042

Lakeview Terrace is built upon a premise that has been done many times. It has taken slightly different forms but essentially deals with a person or persons being terrorized by a wacky neighbor. The spin here is that the neighbor just happens to be a police officer. The victims are a young recently married interracial couple, Chris and Lisa Mattson (Wilson & Washington) who have just bought their first home in a fairly upscale LA County suburb. Abel Turner (Jackson) is a single father of two, is respected in the community, and is a senior member of the LAPD. Abel apparently takes a pretty staunch position when it comes to interracial couples and immediately takes a dislike to his new neighbors, particularly Chris. Initially when little things happen the couple chalks them up to coincidence or perhaps a misunderstanding. However it soon becomes obvious that Abel is not to be trifled with and that he has every intention of convincing his new neighbors that perhaps they should live elsewhere. Chris seems to be the main target of Abel’s disapproving actions however after a terrifying incident involving Lisa it becomes clear that perhaps he is capable of much more. When the couple discovers evidence that could prove that Abel is complicit in the incident involving Lisa they find out just how far he is willing to go.

I thought this was a typical thriller that had enough suspense to keep it interesting. Movies like this tend to paint police officers as people with ever reaching authority that can achieve the impossible to get at their intended targets. I found Able to be an interesting character. Here is a guy that lives in a racially diverse neighborhood. There are Whites, Asians, Hispanics, and Blacks living right on top of one another in a small culdesac which he seems to have no trouble with. In moves a young professional couple, seemingly decent, and he is instantly offended at just the sight of them. This is something that surely goes on in today’s society to some degree. His problem with them was simple, stick to your own kind and don’t try to be something your not. Abel was brought up in LA’s tough South Central and fought hard to get where he is. This along with his position gave him a feeling of entitlement when it came to passing judgement on others. As for the Mattson’s they had their own issues to deal with long before they moved to Lakeview Terrace. Lisa’s father (Glass) was a well to do businessman who openly felt that their relationship had a dismal future. The couple were at odds over when to have children which added another layer of stress. I liked the development of the characters (Abel and the Mattson’s) and thought that it was important that we as the audience see a little of who they were aside from their interaction so that perhaps we might understand them. This made some of the events that transpire in the film to seem plausible. Of course being a Hollywood production there are many things that were out of the realm of plausibility but hey that’s why we watch movies. Sam Jackson is one of my favorite actors and although he doesn’t have a varied repertoire of characters in his arsenal I think that this one, like most, played to his strengths. I thought that both Wilson and Washington gave strong performances and I liked the film’s pacing. It didn’t bring anything new to the genre but I think that all the elements needed to make it enjoyable were present (including the formulaic ending).

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense thematic material, violence, sexuality, language and drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=130218&d=1232312042

Lakeview Terrace comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.4 mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation that boasts warm, inviting colors with deeply saturated primaries and vivid hues. Fleshtones are nicely delineated with warm tonality and diverse complexional quality among the cast. Detail is in abundance as images look crisp with clearly resolvable fine minutia, and three dimensional depth that on occasion provides a near infinite visual perspective. Blacks are dense in appearance with excellent dynamic range and noticeable gradational stages. Contrast is strong which provides plenty of pop to colors and whites without washing them out. The video had a dynamic, pleasing, and pristine quality that looked great throughout the presentation. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack featured crystal clear dialogue, snappy dynamics and a subtle, yet strong surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and source material, to build tension and help drive the story.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Director Neil LaBute and Actress Kerry Washington

• 8 deleted scenes with optional commentary by Director Neil LaBute

• (HD) Welcome to Lakeview Terrace: Featurettes

1. An open house: Behind the story -5 minutes
    2. Meet your neighbors: Casting - 5 minutes
    3. Home sweet home: Production - 6 minutes

• (HD) 7 Sony Pictures BD Previews

• BD-Live enabled - Access to trailers, Blu-ray Club membership, Hancock special features promo

attachment.php?attachmentid=130217&d=1232312042

Final Thoughts:

Lakeview Terrace is a thriller that doesn’t break new ground but is entertaining just the same. It offers enough suspense, strong characters and competent direction to make it worth watching. Sony continues to support the Blu-ray Disc format by delivering first rate video presentations, and high quality lossless audio encodings on their day and date Blu-ray Disc releases. While this film may not hold up well under repeat viewings it is definitely worth checking out via a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the review is good so I must say"run Forest run"to grab this BD.Suspense/horor flicks is my type of movie but the brutalised a victims for a long period of time as SAW5 is too much violent.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw it free and wanted money back.

ads weren't exactly convincing but thought Kerry and Sam couldn't be that bad.

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #4 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks Ralph. I'll be renting this when it comes out. The story does sound familiar but as long as it's done well it should be an enjoyable watch.

You might want to go over your review as I saw a couple of grammatical errors in there.

"I found Able to be an interesting."

"Abel was brought in LA’s tough South Central and fought hard to get where he is."
post #5 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

Thanks Ralph. I'll be renting this when it comes out. The story does sound familiar but as long as it's done well it should be an enjoyable watch.

You might want to go over your review as I saw a couple of grammatical errors in there.

"I found Able to be an interesting."

"Abel was brought in LA's tough South Central and fought hard to get where he is."

Greetings,

Got it. Thanks..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
actually I'm really looking forward to watching this BD title, especially since I live in L.A. and am familiar with the area portrayed in the film.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Got it. Thanks..

Cheers,

Hey Ralph isn't this based loosly on you and the nieghbors complaining about the sound from your theater...

J/K...stay safe brother...

Stephen
post #8 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great review as always Ralph I'll be picking this up for sure as it was very enjoyable when I saw it in theaters. Samuel Jackson carried his role well and Kerry Washington is always easy on the eyes. Glad to hear the picture looks great!

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

post #9 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logain2000 View Post

Hey Ralph isn't this based loosly on you and the nieghbors complaining about the sound from your theater...

J/K...stay safe brother...

Greetings,

VERY loosely based...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 24 Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Need a little more convincing on this one. lol
post #11 of 24 Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Liked: 12
Not too bad. I thought the brush fire added a nice touch. I'm just a little puzzled as to why the movie is called Lakeview Terrace when the street they live on is called Lakeview Circle.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechnice View Post

Nice observation. As for the movie it's curious to see how the police officer played by Jackson lives surrounded by a mixed background of races and suddenly takes a disliking with this couple.

Greetings,

None of the neighbors were mixed couples...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Mixed Reviews, Huh? I like reading other peoples opinions before I see a movie. It seemed interesting from the trailers so I put it in my Nexflix Que. I just didn't get to see it on the big screen. Thanks for posting your review Ralph.

dmibo
post #14 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i watched it last night a ok movie to rent.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Some nece tense, dramatic spots. I liked the movie, but it lacked serious depth to the characters, expecially the new neighbors, Chris and Lisa.

Sound 4 out of 5, Video 4 out of 5.

Movie, 3.5 out of 5.

Dan
post #16 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 PM

i rented it also and thought the movie was soso video wise it was a solid 4/5 maybe a tad better

113 Blu ray movies 600+ dvd
post #17 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I though the movie was very good. PQ and audio were fine. Samuel Jackson is a BMF in this one. Kerry Washington is HOT and she was incredibly sexy on Bill Maher last year.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 AM

Excellent acting by Sam but everyone else was mixed. The actress, and her character itself, detracted from the movie. She was necessary but irritating.

Rent before buy.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a Samuel L. Jackson fan, and think he often is overlooked while supporting another lead actor. But, he works a lot, and that sometimes means he doesn't wait for ideal roles. I bought this BD used for $15.99 basically because of Sam, and probably won't keep it. The plot was as well done as a (very) predictable plot could be, but I saw almost everything coming. (Actually, saw the dust on the horizon hours before I saw it coming...)

In this film, Sam is not up to his performances in Black Snake Moan, or Long Kiss Goodnight, but he didn't have much to work with either. Worth a rental for SLJ fans, though, IMO.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #20 of 24 Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Ralph,

I think you are right on here. Film was no Pulp Fiction for Samuel L Jackson.

Swanny is the host of "The Home Theater Show" from Studio City California
post #21 of 24 Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I come belatedly to this thread because I rented Lakeview Terrace and watched it last night. That was a big mistake. Despite outstanding performances by its stars, Samuel L. Jackson, Patrick Wilson, and Kerry Washington, I thought the movie was a failure. I agree with Ralph, however, that the movie looked and sounded just fine.

Neal LaBute, who directed Lakeview Terrace approached the film's over the top story in a completely humorless way. Its inherently preposterousness and depressing story, unleavened by any humor, made watching the movie painful, to me at least. I got through it finally but it wasn't easy. I should add that I hated LaBute's misogynistic In the Company of Men even more that I hated Lakeview Terrace. In fact, I haven't seen a single LaBute movie that I liked. Maybe now I will learn.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I come belatedly to this thread because I rented Lakeview Terrace and watched it last night. That was a big mistake. Despite outstanding performances by its stars, Samuel L. Jackson, Patrick Wilson, and Kerry Washington, I thought the movie was a failure. I agree with Ralph, however, that the movie looked and sounded just fine.

Neal LaBute, who directed Lakeview Terrace approached the film's over the top story in a completely humorless way. Its inherently preposterousness and depressing story, unleavened by any humor, made watching the movie painful, to me at least. I got through it finally but it wasn't easy. I should add that I hated LaBute's misogynistic In the Company of Men even more that I hated Lakeview Terrace. In fact, I haven't seen a single LaBute movie that I liked. Maybe now I will learn.

What ruined it for me was the ending. I won't give anything away, but I felt that it was way over the top and an opportunity lost. I would have completely re-done the last 20-30 mins and made it a completely different film. The tension was created very effectively for me, and a lot of it was believable, but whereas they could have really made Samuel L. Jackson a deeper, more interesting character, they just sold him out and wasted him in the end.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-31-2009, 01:11 PM

I thought it was a pretty lame movie, and I'm generally a huge fan of the suspense / thriller genre. Didn't have enough action to make up for the ridiculousness in the story.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #24 of 24 Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

PQ and AQ were fine, no distractions. The movie?? It wasn't that bad to tell the truth as a rental. I'll never buy it though.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page