Studio and Year: Warner - 2008
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 115 Minutes
Genre: Action/Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.4:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese
Starring: Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson, Thandie Newton, Mark Strong, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Jeremy Piven, Chris Bridges
Written & Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 27, 2009

"A story of SEX, THUGS, and ROCK ’N’ ROLL"

Film Synopsis:

“I own this town.” But owning is getting expensive for old-school London gangster Lenny Cole (Tom Wilkinson). A wealthier foreign mob is moving in with a riverfront property swindle. A small-timer (Gerard Butler) and his crew think they can play both sides and become big time. Now add a hard-as-ice accountant (Thandie Newton), a rocker playing dead to boost sales, wannabe music moguls (Jeremy Piven and Chris Bridges), a missing painting and a mad mosh of money and muscle, and youve got this funny, smash-mouth smack down of sex thugs & rock-n-roll from writer/director Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch).

My Take:

I consider myself fortunate. I love movies and I am in a position where I receive quite a bit of exposure to them. There are times where I have to sit through uninspiring films that border on drivel. On the other hand I find that every now and then I come across a film that I have never heard of that turns out to be quite good. RocknRolla is just such a movie. It has a cast that is chock full of wonderfully entertaining characters, smart/witty dialogue, and slick direction. Writer/Director Guy Ritchie does a great job with the establishment of the characters and the straight forward telling of the story. His direction keeps things on point nicely and the blend of action, drama, and humor is well balanced so that there is plenty to go around. Lenny Cole (Wilkinson) runs things in London and does so through his contacts in the local government that controls both the court system and local real estate planning boards. He enters into an agreement with a Russian mobster named Uri, regarding a payoff to obtain the permits necessary to complete a rather expensive building venture in London. There is a local gang of small time crooks who are looking to branch out and expand. The problem is that they owe Lenny “2 large” and need to find a way to come up with the cash or else. These three entities represent the film’s primary focal point. However there are several others who play an integral role in spinning the story. There is the beautiful and very capable accountant (Newton) that handles the Russian’s finances, and the rock n roll crack head who occasionally fakes his own death to spark his music sales. These two ignite the fuse on each end of the powder keg which results in a three way detonation that erupts in gunfire, treachery, and retribution.

Tom Wilkinson steals the show as the London crime boss Lenny Cole. He is a gifted actor who seems so diverse that every character he plays feels fresh. Gerard Butler, Idris Elba, and Tom Hardy (One Two, Mumbles, and Handsome Bob) are the three small time hoods who are in debt to Lenny and are looking for a means to score some cash. Gerard Butler might be the recognizable name among that group but both Elba and Hardy were perfectly cast while Butler didn’t really standout. The British dialect was sometimes hard to understand but this was more so the case with Butler. To me he would have been better suited with the character name Mumbles. The story is told by Archie (Strong) Lenny’s number two in command. His view on the situation is conveyed via narration and provides a global perspective on the situation. In my opinion the charming aspects of this film lie in the intelligent and sometimes laugh out loud dialogue as well as the dialect used in its presentation. The story comes full circle in a satisfying turn of events that is ultimately rewarding. Kudos to Guy Ritchie because I thought this film well done and lots of fun.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for pervasive language, violence, drug use and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

RockNRolla comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

This film has a distinctive visual style that utilizes a light sepia toned chromatic that permeates the images onscreen. This left colors and skin tones appearing muted and devoid of natural looking hues and tonal saturation. Actually I didn’t find that it was distasteful in any way and appreciated the fact that the director maintained it over the length of the film which gave it more consistency. Blacks were average looking which didn’t provide a good sense of depth during darker scenes. Detail in dark backgrounds and low lighting was appreciable but not as definitive as the best that I have seen. Resolution and detail were distinguishable however I noted that the video lacked the subtle delineation and defining sharpness to give it the three dimensional high definition clarity associated with the better releases available on Blu-ray. The lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack was well designed and sounded great. A large portion of the film is dialogue driven however as things escalate the soundtrack kicks in with hearty dynamics and clean, deep bass extension. Dialogue is placed firmly in the center channel and is easily discernible even during the active onscreen moments. The primary focus is retained up front with excellent channel integration that enhances the sound and panning effects that traverse the left, center and right speakers. Sounds mixed to the rear channels are well balanced and engaging which provides a good sense of depth when the action kicks in.

Bonus Features:

• Behind the story: Commentary by Guy Ritchie and Mark Strong

• (HD) Blokes, Birds, and Backhanders: Inside Rock-n-Rolla – 15 minute making of feature

• (HD) Guy’s Town – 8 minute production feature

• 1 deleted scene – “Will you put the cigarette out?”

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc – A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=130417&d=1232470664

Final Thoughts:

RockNRolla was a pleasant surprise and features a good blend of intelligent writing, slick direction, and excellent casting. The result is an entertaining film that flows nicely and provides some laughs, a little action and a bit of a twist that make it an easy and fun watch. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc comes day and date with the DVD and offers good high definition video quality and better lossless Dolby TrueHD surround sound. The bonus features are just average in quality but include two short features that are offered in high definition.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for another great review Ralph! I'm looking forward to this one, been a fan since Snatch.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Great review Ralph! I agree with you 100% on your review (except that I knew about this movie before it was released in theatres).

Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. If you were a fan of Lock, Stock and/or Snatch, then you'll be a fan of RockNRolla too!
post #4 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
For anyone that has seen this movie, is it hard to understand what the hell the characters in it are trying to say? I never have this problem except with the rare brit movies and it's too annoying to bother with.

Thanks

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #5 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

For anyone that has seen this movie, is it hard to understand what the hell the characters in it are trying to say? I never have this problem except with the rare brit movies and it's too annoying to bother with.

Thanks

If its in the same lines as Lock,Stock and Snatch i would say it would be hard to figure out what the characters are saying in this one as well.

I always turn on the subtitles for these kind of movies.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #6 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

If its in the same lines as Lock,Stock and Snatch i would say it would be hard to figure out what the characters are saying in this one as well.

I always turn on the subtitles for these kind of movies.

That's what I'm afraid of. Does Guy Ritchie seem to think that having the actors overdue their accents makes the film better somehow?

I'm hoping that's not the case with this 1.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #7 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Greetings,

It's not that bad except in the case of Gerard Butler. At times I couldn't make out what he was saying...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Ralph,

Have you seen the movie Snatch which I love? If yes, did you find Rocknrolla to be as good or better?

Thanks!!!!!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #9 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

That's what I'm afraid of. Does Guy Ritchie seem to think that having the actors overdue their accents makes the film better somehow?

I'm hoping that's not the case with this 1.

It's not a matter of the character "overdoing" their accent. In Lock, Stock and Switch, the accents reflect where they are from in London, which has a bearing on the character's background.

I had a similar reaction, until my wife (who lived in London for 6 years) explained the different accents and where the character would come from in London or regionally.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #10 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Greeting I saw it in theater and it was a good one.So I must buy this BD again.
post #11 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Was a long-time Ritchie fan who fell of the bandwagon after Revolver. I didn't even know this movie was released until I saw the review posted on the front page, thank you! Loved it.

My only concern with the review is the "three small time hoods" comment. I don't know if that is appropriate given the denominations used throughout the movie, as "2 large" is 2MM Euro.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hi Ralph,

Have you seen the movie Snatch which I love? If yes, did you find Rocknrolla to be as good or better?

Thanks!!!!!

Tom

Greetings,

Sorry Tom, I haven't seen Snatch. I would hope that this one would be up your alley if you liked it though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Sorry Tom, I haven't seen Snatch. I would hope that this one would be up your alley if you liked it though.

Regards,

Snatch is excellent! You must see it. I bet you'll never ever see Brad Pitt as a gypsy again. Characters are always strong in Ritchie's movies. So far, I find it to be Ritchie's best movie! I am looking forward to this one.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 AM

Im English from the north of the country and I cannot tell what they are saying. Hate these cockney crap movies anyway.

Gimme Goodfellas anyday.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM

3,5 stars to this movie?!

Ridiculous, it doesnt deserve more than 2,5. Its just Guy Ritchie being a shadow of his former self.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hi Ralph,

Thanks!!!!!

Tom

If you liked Snatch and Lock Stock you will find this just as good if not better!
post #17 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bass View Post

Its just Guy Ritchie being a shadow of his former self.

...and how is that a bad thing?
post #18 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ridiculous, it doesnt deserve more than 2,5. Its just Guy Ritchie being a shadow of his former self.

Wooo, here is my opinion and it's ridiculous to have your own. Someone is pretty full of himself
post #19 of 36 Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw this movie in the theatre and thought it was awsome!

Definitely getting this one.

Thanks for the rundown on this Ralph.

Cheers,
James
post #20 of 36 Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicM3 View Post

...and how is that a bad thing?

Yeah, sorry for thinking that an artist should improve over time instead of watering down his own past works. Its a decent movie, but its nowhere close to Snatch or Lock Stock.
post #21 of 36 Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bass View Post

Yeah, sorry for thinking that an artist should improve over time instead of watering down his own past works. Its a decent movie, but its nowhere close to Snatch or Lock Stock.

X2

Good and worth watching but not as good as Snatch and Lock Stock.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched this last night. Not a bad flick and not a bad transfer. The review is spot on. Like Ralph said, the director maintained consistency throughout the film. Even though this wasn't the best transfer, it certainly isn't a bad one by any means. I was fairly pleased with it.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

I saw this over the weekend. The movie lacks the punch, intrigue and comedic elements found in Snatch. I found the characters a bit lacking in this one whereas Snatch had very good characters who carried themselves well with brilliant dialogue. The story is good enough to keep you engaged for the entire time but this one lacks compared to Snatch.

On the bright side, it is better than Revolver IMO which was a let-down after Snatch.

Is it just me or did anyone else get the impression that the Russian owner in the movie was a direct dig at Chelsea Football Club's owner Roman Abramovich? I'm hoping that Ritchie's next project will have the same punch and grip as Snatch.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM

To me, RockNRolla was one of those movies where you watch it and like it. Then as you let it sink in, you start to think back on the movie and say to yourself "That was a good movie!" It really grows on you after the fact.....
post #25 of 36 Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Liked: 19
80 for video? I thought it looked fantastic but that I was missing something,guess I did miss it. I got it at Wal-mart 11 days early.

I found it to be similar to Snatch but with a painting instead of a diamond,crayfish instead of pigs and music instead of boxing.

Don't ever buy anything from Sony...just don't.
post #26 of 36 Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, but I thought it had more in common with Layer Cake.
post #27 of 36 Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yep. I found it to be Layer Cake, meets Snatch. Or perhaps Snatch meets Jackie Brown. Spot on with the video rating. Detail was fine. Razor Sharp. Colors were...well...muted. Do agree with the poster above that this movie grew on me. I find myself wanting to fire it back up for a second time this evening. Loved just about all the scenes with Johnny Squid.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #28 of 36 Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Definately Layer Cake and definately good! Well worth the time to watch. Thanks for the review Ralph steered me the right way when I went to rent this week.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 253
post #30 of 36 Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 PM

it was another Guy Ritchie movie, but for me that is a good thing. Big fan of snatch, lock stock. If you guys liked that you should definitely pick up Revolver with Statham as well, one of my favorite flicks of all time. I thoroughly enjoyed Rocknrolla, its a flick that you can get more out of with repeat viewings.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Rocknrolla Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page