Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 120 Minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Derek Luke, Denzel Washington, Joy Bryant, Salli Richardson, Novella Nelson
Directed by: Denzel Washington
Music by: Mychael Danna
Written by: Antwone Fisher
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 20, 2009

"Who will cry for the little boy? "

Film Synopsis:

Denzel Washington makes his powerful directorial debut with a film inspired by the extraordinary true story of Antwone Fisher, who penned the poignant screenplay. Magnificently portrayed by newcomer Derek Luke, Fisher struggles as a sailor in the U.S. Navy with his deep-seated psychological issues from childhood until a compassionate Navy psychiatrist, played by the incomparable Washington, helps him find the courage to heal.

My Take:

Antwone Fisher is a gripping and poignant story of the true life experiences of a troubled young man who endured a loveless childhood filled with physical/mental abuse, rejection and loss. In his heart he felt abandoned, first by his mother, and then by the only other person who meant anything to him during his childhood. He longed for a family that he could turn to for love, friendship, and support. He would have to wait until he was an adult, in the U.S Navy, and on the brink of self destructive anger. This lead Antwone to Naval psychologist Jerome Davenport, a man who shows him that there is someone he can depend on and that in order to truly silence the deep rooted anger inside him he needs to first find himself and then seek out his real family. While helping Antwone Jerome discovers that he needs to confront his own inner struggles. His relationship with Antwone Fisher sheds light on them and in turn helps him become a better man.

This is an inspiring film that I enjoy revisiting every now and then. Derek Luke is simply marvelous in the title role and I think that Denzel Washington's directorial debut is a solid one. Seeing the life that Fisher had to endure as a child is saddening. It's easy to understand the anger/frustration/rejection he felt as a foster care child who suffers varying levels of abuse at the hands of the Tate family. He was born in a correctional institution and never really knew his mother. His father died (violently) before he was born. This left him with no ties or knowledge of his real family. He often dreamt of being surrounded by a loving family who welcomed him with open arms. Something that most of us have and sometimes take for granted. After a significant event in his already turbulent life, Antwone joined the Navy. Little did he know that this would put him on road to understanding his inner pain and meeting the man who would forever change his life. I enjoy success stories and Antwone Fisher's is a good one. He overcame difficult adversity, abandonment and abuse to become an example for others to follow. I am glad to see this wonderful film released in high definition and am happy to add it to my collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, language and mature thematic material involving abuse.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Antwone Fisher comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

This is a high bitrate encode that looks solid throughout. High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolute, with defining sharpness and two dimensional depth during long range camera pans. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation and tonal warmth. This is especially apparent during the Thanksgiving dinner sequence at Jerome's residence. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Grain is visibly moderate and appears to be well preserved.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack rendered clear, articulated dialogue that maintained a position of prominence across the front three channels. Sound effects had good dynamic energy so that they sounded full bodied and authoritative. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere from time to time. The mix excelled at reproducing sounds at the right levels and placing them appropriately in the sound field's acoustic environment. Detail was rendered with aplomb which attenuated slight environmental cues and augmented the subtle texture of voices and sound effects. There was no real deep bass associated with the sound track but its good dynamic quality gave it impact where appropriate.

Bonus Features:

• Filmmakers audio commentary

• Meeting Antwone Fisher - 14 minute featurette

• The making of Antwone Fisher - 22 minute featurette

• Hollywood and the Navy - 4 minute documentary

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Antwone Fisher is an inspiring true story that brings a smile to my face and puts a lump in my throat each time I watch it. I am very pleased with its audio/video presentation. All of the bonus content from the 2003 DVD release is included which makes it easily worth an upgrade for fans. If you have never seen this movie I can think of no better way to experience it than this. Kudos to Fox for bringing it to High definition Blu-ray Disc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld Ultraviolet & BetterCables Silver Serpent Reference HDMI Cabling
Best Deal Cables - Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I couldn't agree with you more on this film Ralph. This is a great moving film that everybody should see. I never watch extras but had to just to see this great man in real life. The next time I complain about something trivial I will think about this guy and just shut up and move on.

Thanks for turning me on to this film Ralph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I couldn't agree with you more on this film Ralph. This is a great moving film that everybody should see. I never watch extras but had to just to see this great man in real life. The next time I complain about something trivial I will think about this guy and just shut up and move on.

Thanks for turning me on to this film Ralph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Greetings,

You are quite welcome Tom.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version