Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
attachment.php?attachmentid=131803&d=1233342423
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 90 Minutes
Genre: Romance/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic, Dutch,
Starring: Michael Cera, Kat Dennings, Aaron Yoo, Ari Graynor, Alexis Dziena,
Directed by: Peter Sollett
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Written by: Lorene Scafaria
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 3, 2009

"Every night has a soundtrack"

Film Synopsis:

After a chance encounter, Nick and Norah embark on a journey through New York's indie rock scene on a quest to find the secret show of a legendary band, and wind up finding each other.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=131806&d=1233342723

I enjoyed this film more than expected. Its young cast (especially Cera and Dennings) gave performances that were smart, contemporary and fun. This is a romantic comedy that is aimed at today's tech oriented, spontaneous, and guileless young people but there is enough here to satisfy most genre fans. I found it to be a fresh take on teenage comedies that worked without having to resort to incessant one liner's, overtly crude humor, or over the top situations that seek audience approval via shock value. Although there is an interesting scene involving chewing gum that might qualify.

The story gets right to the point and revolves around a group of high school kids who go on a quest to seek out a concert by an infamous band called Where's Fluffy? The location isn't widely known but it is said to be a local NYC club. Nick (Cera) has recently broken up with his girlfriend, Tris and is depressed. His friends and musical bandmates in the queercore band The Jerk-Offs (Nick's the only straight member), Thom and Dev, convince him to leave the house to perform at a club later that night. Tris shows up with her new beau and Nick sees her in the audience. Norah (Dennings) and Caroline (Graynor) are at the club and Norah is checking Nick out as the band plays onstage. They go to school with Tris and Norah knew that she had a boyfriend named Nick who frequently made CD Mixes for her. After their break up he continued making them for her but she would throw them in the trash. Norah picked a few from the garbage and liked them as well as the original artwork on the cover. Norah bumped into Tris at the club and Tris asked who she was there with. Norah said that she was there with her boyfriend. The Jerk-Offs completed their set and Nick was eyeing Tris and her date. Tris scoffed at the idea of Norah having a boyfriend so Norah approached Nick and asked him to be her boyfriend for five minutes to prove to Tris that she is going out with someone. Norah kissed Nick, not knowing that Nick is Tris' ex, and Tris became jealous. Caroline got drunk and Norah decided to take her home, but Nick's friends want to set Nick and Norah up, so they offer to bring Caroline home and Norah gets a ride with Nick. In the meantime Thom and Dev (who are gay but not an item) meet Lethario who is a rather interesting character who decides to tag along. The three of them find that drunken Caroline is more of a handful then they thought which leads to a bizarre series of events.

Obviously there is more to the story as things don't go as smoothly as planned. Amidst the chaos that ensues Nick and Norah discover that they share an attraction as well as a common bond in their love of music. Will they end up together? Will they find the location of the allusive Where's Fluffy? concert? What becomes of Tris, Caroline, Thom and Dev? The answers are revealed over the last hour of the movie which is lots of fun and easily 90 minutes that was well spent.

Parental Guide:

Mature thematic material including teen drinking, sexuality, language, and crude behavior.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=131805&d=1233342723

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.7 mbps.

This video presentation boasts vibrant, punchy primary and well balanced secondary colors that don't suffer from over exaggeration or poor delineation. Images were routinely sharp with appreciable detail and depth that was rewarding but came up just short of the definitive visual acuity of the best high definition available on Blu-ray. Blacks weren't inky and on occasion appeared rather flat and lacking in depth. There were several instances where the video took on a bluish cast that lasted until the next switch of the camera's perspective. I honestly couldn't say whether it was innate but it appeared to be. Dark backgrounds tended to highlight grain which sometimes made them appear noisy. Otherwise film grain was naturally rendered in even layers that rarely took on a prominent visual perspective. Fleshtones had a lustrous quality and convincing nature that came across beautifully in high definition.

The star of this film is clearly its music and the lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound didn't disappoint. Imaging was well focused across the front three channels as its delivery was well defined and spatial. Dialogue was rendered with subtle distinction and refinement which lent solidity to voices. Clarity and detail were first rate as the variety of music featured in the film filled the sound field with crystal clear and acoustically transparent auditory. The surrounds were used to articulate smaller but intricate aspects of the audio's presentation. This included both directional and ambient/spatial cues that combined with the front soundstage to construct a realistic atmosphere within the film's different interior/exterior venues. Bass maintained a purposeful non-dominant presence that effectively reproduced the mid bass frequencies associated with the rock music and musical score used in the movie. This was a very pleasing mix that kept pace with the movie's theme and sounded great doing so.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with Director Peter Sollett, Authors Rachel Cohn & David Levithan, and Screenwriter Lorene Scafaria

• 9 deleted/alternate scenes

• Outtakes - 4 minutes

• A Nick and Norah puppet show by Kat Dennings - 5 minutes

• Ari Graynor's video diary: A look behind the scenes - 4 minutes

• Storyboard animations

• Faux interview with Michael Cera, Kat Dennings and Eddie Kaye Thomas - 3 minutes

• Peter Sollett's - Photo album

• Music video - Middle management by Bishop Allen

• (HD) 7 Sony BD Previews

• BD-Live access

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• Blu-ray Disc Exclusives:

1. Cinechat: Interactive feature that lets you send onscreen instant messages to friends around the world while watching the movie together
    2. Telestrator commentary with Director Peter Sollett, Michael Cera, Kat Dennings, and Ari Graynor
    3. Nick and Norah's interactive playlist: Enhanced trivia, learn about the film's music and create a playlist that can be e-mailed to friends while you watch the movie - BD-live registration required
attachment.php?attachmentid=131804&d=1233342723

Final Thoughts:

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist is an entertaining film that features a fresh take on the teen comedy/romance genre. It doesn't introduce anything new conceptually but it seems to press the right buttons thanks to solid cast performances and intelligent writing/direction. Sony has been consistent in their support of the Blu-ray Disc format with strong day and date releases and this one is no exception. It contains a host of fan friendly bonus features which are highlighted by Blu-ray exclusives that offer cool interactive capability and BD-Live access. Add excellent audio/video quality and the ability to take the film on the go via a Digital Copy Bonus Disc and this shakes out to be a well rounded package that fans will appreciate.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld Ultraviolet & BetterCables Silver Serpent Reference HDMI Cabling
Best Deal Cables - Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great Review, I look forward to checking this out.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw this film in the theaters and was surprisingly impress with it. I have pre-ordered this one a while ago, so now I can't wait to watch it...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yeah, this was a decent movie and a fairly good Blu-ray transfer. I was fairly pleased. Hopefully Zach and Miri is a good movie on Blu-ray.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will pick this one,Thanks Ralph for good review.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Ralph, If I may make a suggestion, Could you put the release date in the title of the post? I subscribe to this as an RSS feed on my phone and that would be super cool to see in the heading.

if not thats cool, just thought i'd ask.

I can win a game of connect four in three moves.

post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Just picked this one up and will watch it soon. Thanks for the review Ralph.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It was out in my country now,must pick one today to watch this weekend.Your review is great and unbelievable ,the sound was great as the film like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Just caught this one tonight...I was less than impressed with the transfer, but thought the film overall was quite entertaining. Thumbs up!

post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 AM

I heard this movie was really cute. I think that Michael Cera is adorable.

Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't be taking an
...:)
post #11 of 14 Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Movie was good, but I still don't understand how a bunch of High School kids are able to do these things. It was like a movie with college/adult activities, but with kids in high school. Very strange.

Video transfer was good, but nothing spectacular. The music was good and enjoyable.

Film 3.5 out of 5, PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5

Dan
post #12 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Movie was good, but I still don't understand how a bunch of High School kids are able to do these things. It was like a movie with college/adult activities, but with kids in high school. Very strange.

Video transfer was good, but nothing spectacular. The music was good and enjoyable.

Film 3.5 out of 5, PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5

Dan

I thought the same thing, but I'm thinking this movie was more based on non-alcoholic dance clubs, not bars. These kind of clubs didn't really exist when I was younger. In those days it was pretty much school dances.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

I just watched this movie last night. I found it entertaining. It didn't have much surround information or LFE but I guess that is to be expected with this genre of film.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM

I watched this one last night and thought it was really good. Michael Cera does an excellent performance. [IMG]http://z09a0222gshv273.imageshacknow.info/img/3044************************[/IMG]
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page