Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 89 Minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Jay Hernandez, Columbus Short, Greg Germann, Steve Harris, Daina Ramirez, Jonathan Schaech
Directed by: John Erik Dowdle
Music by: N/A
Written by: Drew Dowdle & John Erik Dowdle
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 17, 2009

"Sealed in…here is what happened"

Film Synopsis:

When a news crew decides to trail a brave fire-fighting team, they never suspect that the first call for help they respond to that night may be their last. Now they're trapped in an apartment complex sealed off by the government. With no way of escape, they find themselves surrounded by frightened residents who are infected with a deadly mutant virus. What happens next is only known because of the footage they left behind.

My Take:

Quarantine is based upon the Spanish horror film REC, and details what happens to a group of people who are sealed in an apartment building in Los Angeles after authorities discover that a mutant viral strain may have originated there. The events are captured by a young reporter and her cameraman who were shadowing a local group of firemen that got dispatched to a medical emergency call at the apartment building just prior to its sealing by government personnel. Then entire film is seen from the camera’s perspective. Once inside they encounter the building’s residents as well as two LAPD officers who also responded to the medical emergency. The call went out as a report of screams being heard from the apartment of a sickly elderly woman whose lives on one of the upper floors. The camera crew, firemen and cops go to her apartment and what they find there is the beginning of what will be a night filled with terror.

I like horror films like this that don’t involve the supernatural but contain similar elements. The building of suspense and the anticipation that precedes a good jump scare is part of the fun. This film reminded me a little of Cloverfield because of its strict use of telling the story through the camera’s eye. There were aspects of its implementation that were similar but not to the point were it felt as though it mimicked it. I think this is effective at allowing brief glimpses and quick pans that cause just enough of something to be seen that it leaves exactly what it might have been up to the viewer’s interpretation. This film’s premise obviously isn’t an original concept but I thought this was an above average horror/thriller that was paced well and offered a couple of decent jump scares. Tension and suspense ebbed and flowed nicely as the body/victim count increased. Once you come to realize what has slowly been building from the moment they enter the apartment house the ending is upon you. It is important to remember that this is a horror movie. The people in horror movies tend to be of limited intelligence which is why they are there in the first place. Don’t over analyze the whys and wherefores but just sit back and enjoy the ride like I did.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for Bloody, violent and disturbing content, terror and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Quarantine comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average of bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

This video presentation had a stylized appearance that was used in order to replicate the impression of seeing everything through the eyes of a video camera. The 1.85:1 aspect ratio was a great choice as it visually drew me into the picture. Colors were intentionally muted but were delineated enough so that they didn’t appear lifeless. Bright colors (such as the yellow worn by the firemen) came across with better depth and stood out but comparison. Fleshtones were bland and lacking in tonal warmth but I didn’t find it distracting. Images were well resolved but not definitively sharp which gave them a subtle smoothness in texture. Fine detail was appreciable in close ups while mid level shots were rendered with less defining articulation. Blacks were stable with good contrast and discernible gradational quality. Shadow detail was excellent and revealing of multi-stage visibility in low lit backgrounds and dark areas. I didn‘t notice any compression related artifacts or video anomalies associated with the encoding.

A movie like this lives or dies (no pun intended) by its soundtrack and the Dolby TrueHD presentation on this Blu-ray Disc nailed it. This is a captivating surround sound mix that features an immersive array of well placed sound effects that literally pray upon your aural senses. Near field sounds such as those that the “cameraman” was hearing as well as those picked up through the camera’s microphone were appropriately spaced within the sound field. This gave them a multi-dimensional perspective that placed you right in the middle of what was occurring. After the building is sealed the sounds of helicopters, voices, sirens etc can be heard outside. Their position rotated within the soundstage as the camera moved throughout the interior of the building. The effect was incredible as the helicopter continued to circle overhead, the sounds of footsteps on floors above or screams from off to one side or the other seamlessly encapsulated the listening position. The entire room was illuminated with an array of sounds that were both directional and ambient in nature. I was impressed with the attention to detail that went into reproducing the environments featured in the film. There is a scene where the camera crew is conducting an interview in a handball court at the firehouse. The acoustics and time delayed echo effects that we have all heard in open yet closed venues like that sounded superb. Shortly after that they enter the cab of a fire truck and its enclosed non reverberant aspects were delivered with same level of realism. Bass was rich, authoritative, and room filling as it accentuated the audio’s excellent dynamic range. Dialogue intelligibility was never a problem even during the film’s busier moments. This was a great surround sound experience that certainly made this film more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Writer/Director John Erik Dowdle and Writer/Producer Drew Dowdle

• Locked in: The making of Quarantine - 10 minute featurette

• Dressing the infected: Robert Hall‘s makeup design - 7 minute featurette

• Anatomy of a stunt - 3 minute documentary

• (HD) 6 BD Previews

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Quarantine is an above average horror/thriller that may not offer viewers a brand new concept but it has enough going for it to keep the adrenaline flowing. Its high resolution Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is very well done and augments its presentation on Blu-ray Disc. Video quality is solid and the bonus content is middle of the road but the total package makes it worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld Ultraviolet & BetterCables Silver Serpent Reference HDMI Cabling
Best Deal Cables - Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another great review,Ralph This is a must buy BD again.I think REC.Spanish movie was better but if you gave such this highly rate for PQ and SQ,Therefore this BD are a must owned one.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I thought it was an interesting movie when I saw it in the movies.

Ralph, are you planning on reviewing "My name is Bruce"? I'm not sure if your a Bruce Campbell fan or not

Joe.T
post #4 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ralph, Thanks for another great review. Does the whole movie employ the same kind of first person shaky camera work like the Cloverfield? While it may work for some scenes i do prefer normal third person view camera viewing rather than the shaky cam for the whole movie.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #5 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Ralph, Thanks for another great review. Does the whole movie employ the same kind of first person shaky camera work like the Cloverfield? While it may work for some scenes i do prefer normal third person view camera viewing rather than the shaky cam for the whole movie.

Greetings,

The whole film is shot that way. It isn't nearly as shaky as Cloverfield though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #6 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 53
If members get a chance, as Ralph memntioned, the Spanish version that the film is based on is very good. I really enjoyed it...can't wait to see what the American director has come up with.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #7 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

If members get a chance, as Ralph memntioned, the Spanish version that the film is based on is very good. I really enjoyed it...can't wait to see what the American director has come up with.

Completely agreed. US version is a pretty weak copy of the original. REC is a horror masterpiece and the feeling you get while watching REC is completely different from the feeling you get watching US version. REC version is so much more convincing as being real because you are viewing it as a true news report in Spain. US version again was softened and commercialized.

The make up in REC is by far the best one I've seen so far. "The" actor really outdid himself with his body and make up did the rest. It's all pretty real.

As always Ralph's rating is on the mark. REC is easily 4-5 star horror while Quarantine's 3 stars is right on the money.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
post #8 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a spanish version of this? Daamn! Maybe i should get the spanish version instead of this?
post #9 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Good luck with the [Rec] BD, you can find it as an import, but only Region B locked and
1080i50
I have the PAL region 2 version DVD and it looks great on either my multiregion Denon DVD-2930 or my Pioneer BDP-51FD, also multi for DVD. I can watch it without PAL to NTSC conversion because my Vizio LCD is NTSC/PAL capable. I'm thinking of ordering it on BD and making a region free backup BD-R, but it's kind of expensive to order
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I had this in my BB queue but now I'm wondering if I should check out REC instead? Is REC really that much better than Quarantine?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #11 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I had this in my BB queue but now I'm wondering if I should check out REC instead? Is REC really that much better than Quarantine?

I haven't seen both. I've only seen the spanish original, so I can't compare the two. I am still looking forward to seeing the US version.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #12 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Would rather have [REC] on Blu Ray, but will give this one a rent.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #13 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

REC.was better in story telling,this BD is great for picture and sound which may be a decision to buy if high scores as review.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 AM

Have to admit that, watching this movie gave such headache,
dizziness and stuffs. You might enjoy it on BR though.

The movie was irritating and there were scenes that made me wanted to turn it off.

But I got so many shocked times, panically.
It could have been better with better ending.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor08 View Post

Good luck with the [Rec] BD, you can find it as an import, but only Region B locked and
1080i50
I have the PAL region 2 version DVD and it looks great on either my multiregion Denon DVD-2930 or my Pioneer BDP-51FD, also multi for DVD. I can watch it without PAL to NTSC conversion because my Vizio LCD is NTSC/PAL capable. I'm thinking of ordering it on BD and making a region free backup BD-R, but it's kind of expensive to order

The Spanish release is Region Free. I already ordered it, but I'm waiting for them to get stock. I think it is the only release of [REC] that is Region Free and has English subs.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The movie wasn't that bad, but the shaking of the camera was extremely annoying. I was more annoyed with the shaking in this movie than I was with Cloverfield. I felt like picture quality was good, but there were a few scenes where I felt they were a little too dark.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Yup. Night and day.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

The movie wasn't that bad, but the shaking of the camera was extremely annoying. I was more annoyed with the shaking in this movie than I was with Cloverfield. I felt like picture quality was good, but there were a few scenes where I felt they were a little too dark.

The original handles the camera shakes MUCH smoother, just as a REAL news cameraman out on the field when hell breaks loose handles it to catch the good stuff, and not like the crazy panic monkey in the remake

No matter how good the PQ and AQ is on this disc I wouldn´t spend my money on this. The actors are SO annoying and nothing in this version feels as real and scary as in the original. As always the americanised versions pale in comparision.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM

I didn't even finish the movie. PQ sucked big time. Worst than a DVD, IMO!

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page