Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 1999
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 89 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish/French Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Ron Livingston, Stephen Root, Gary Cole, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman, John C. McGinley
Written & Directed by: Mike Judge
Music by: John Frizzell
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 3, 2009

"Work sucks.."

Film Synopsis:

Unable to endure another mind-numbing day at Initech Corporation, white-collar peon Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) has had enough. Armed with a bold new attitude and a sexy new girlfriend (Jennifer Anniston), he neglects his job with a vengeance-and is quickly promoted to upper management!

My Take:

Mike Judge's cult classic about one man's struggle to break down the walls of his cubicle and do absolutely nothing offers a hysterical perspective on what life can be like when you work within the confines of an office. The movie and several of its characters were conceived and initially developed from an animated short of the same name by Mike Judge. The story centers around three disgruntled Initek employees named Peter, Samir, and Michael. Peter is an affable, wimpy fellow who rarely speaks his mind to those that deserve it. Michael's last name is Bolton and he is forever being asked if he is related to the pop music singer (which he resents). Samir Nagheenanajar is a largely unnoticed software designer whose last name is constantly mispronounced. Peter can't stand Lumbergh and whines constantly about his dissatisfaction with his job. His girlfriend Anne takes him to see a hypnotherapist in order to help him relax. After putting Peter into a deep state of relaxation the therapist suffers a fatal heart attack leaving Peter in this condition. The result is that he no longer feels any of life's pressures and cares little about pretty much anything. Peter Goes on a binge where he comes to work only if/when he feels like it, breaks up with his cheating girlfriend, and decides to ask out the attractive waitress he has a crush on.

Two efficiency experts are brought in to begin downsizing at Initek and the whole staff is in an uproar due to fear of being laid off. Peter goes into his interview with them and completely impresses them with is brutal frankness and honest take on the everyday employee. He is offered a promotion and learns that both Samir and Michael are going to be laid off. He informs them of this and the three of them devise a plan to steal big bucks from the company using an implanted computer virus that will siphon a fraction of each penny that is processed by the company. They figure it will take roughly two years to make a quarter of a million dollars. The problem is that between Friday and Monday morning they make over three hundred thousand. They panic and try to figure a way out of being caught and going to prison. The outcome is an interesting one and should come as no surprise.

Amidst all of this are plenty of hilarious exchanges between the main players as well as those who have smaller parts in the story. Milt is the epitome of the squirrelly guy that probably works in offices everywhere and his attachment to his red stapler is part of his charm. According to Judge the original idea for Milt's character was based upon someone he once worked with. Stephen Root is such a talented character actor and he is simply marvelous in the role of Milt Waddams. Gary Cole based his portrayal of aggravating, slow speaking boss Bill Lumbergh directly on the character from Judge's animated film. Neither Milt nor Lumbergh have significant roles in Office Space but without them it simply would not be the same film. Work sucks, but Office Space will cure anyone who is suffering through a case of the Mondays.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Office Space comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 mbps.

I own the Special Edition DVD and thought that it looked decent in standard definition. This Blu-ray video presentation from Fox takes it up a notch (or two) and marks a discernible improvement over the DVD. Images are clearly resolved with refined articulation and excellent dimensional perception. Colors are natural with bright textures and satisfying delineation. Flesh tones are warm with rosy complexions and lifelike depiction. Like the DVD, contrast is boosted slightly but never to the point of noticeable white detail degradation. Grain is well preserved and gives the video an even layered texture that is never intrusive. The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio sound quality features clearly intonated dialogue, lucid clarity, and brief but weighty bass response. Discrete directional sound effects are limited to a short dream sequence. The majority of surround activity is light ambient and diffused background sounds that are effectively used to broaden the depth of the front channels. Low frequency effects are almost entirely associated with the thumping bass rhythms of the film's hip hop/rap music. This lossless encoding offers a discernible improvement over the DVD's Dolby Digital track and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• Office Space - Out of the office:

1. The cast
    2. Mike Judge
    3. The printer
    4. The red stapler
    5. The reality factor

• Executive games: Play the feature with the Grab the stapler, Printer beat down, and Whack the drone games

• Jump to conclusions 2.0 - Based on the Tom Smykowski invention/idea from the movie

• Post-it pandemonium/apathy of man: pop up history track

• 8 Deleted scenes

• Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Office Space has rightfully earned its place among fans as a cult classic. Almost ten years after its release it holds up incredibly well which is a testament to Mike Judges's vision for the characters and story. Its release on Blu-ray Disc from Fox gives fans the opportunity to experience it all over again in high definition and the results are excellent. All of the bonus supplements from the 2005 Special Edition DVD are included which make this upgrade an easy one. If you have never seen Office Space I can't think of a better introduction than this. Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeahhhhhhhhh. I may have to pick this one up just because it is a classic. Mmmmkay?
post #3 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM

Liked: 14
Great Review, I picked this up yesterday

post #4 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This is one of those rare movies that I can never get tired of, no matter how many times I've seen it.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 AM

I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

Stephen
post #6 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Never understood the appeal of this movie. Personally think its overrated, with hit/miss humor throughout. Perhaps if I worked in an office I would understand it. .
post #7 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I would agree with MSmith83 about never getting tired of this film....I could watch it over and over.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post

Never understood the appeal of this movie. Personally think its overrated, with hit/miss humor throughout. Perhaps if I worked in an office I would understand it. .

Trust me...work in an office setting, and you'll realize why this is movie is so funny, and sadly, so true.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Trust me...work in an office setting, and you'll realize why this is movie is so funny, and sadly, so true.

I'm in the office setting and can completely relate to this movie. LOL I even come in on certain saturdays. lol
post #10 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm filling out a TPS report as we speak lol
post #11 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Anyone who works in an office needs to see this movie. This may be one of 5 movies that I upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray. I have seen this over 50 times easily and could watch it hundreds more.

I am going to have to look for this now.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #12 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

I'm filling out a TPS report as we speak lol

....Don't forget your cover letter.......mmmmkay.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #13 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
No bull, an e-mail showed up from my boss today that had this line in it.

"If I could have that this afternoon, that'd be great."

Hell yeah I thought of this film. ^_^

•

post #14 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 PM

I never have worked in an office and hopefully never have to, but I believe you have my stapler .
post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM

My last office had an old crappy printer that actually had the "PCLOADLETTER" error. I think almost everyone I worked with blurted out at least once "What the #*#& does that mean!?" when visiting the printer!

I'm definitely picking this one up.

"Smart people become engineers. Smarter people don't."
post #16 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 AM

lol this is one of my favorite movies of ALL time!!!

Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't be taking an
...:)
post #17 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Really fun movie, glad this one came out on Blu!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm going to get this film and show it to the new girl in accounting,if she's lucky I may even show her my "O" face.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

One day at work, I made a rookie mistake. It wasn't the end of the world, but I should have known better. Shortly afterwards, approximately eight fellow employee's and bosses stopped by one by one to tell me I had made a mistake.

I instantly thought of this movie!
post #20 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 PM

I love this movie. Ron Livingston's dad worked for me (in an office environment) when this was released.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM

post #22 of 22 Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM

I watched this the other night and for the first time noticed the name of Peter's apartment complex when he pulls in. LOL!

The scenes in Chockies were great -- I used to live less that a block from The Alligator Grill in Austin where they were filmed and have eaten there many times.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page