AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews - General Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 473 Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ralph, I searched the thread and checked your list, but didn't see "Once Upon a Time in America". Will you be reviewing it? Your reviews are thoughtful and very well written... thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 473 Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,...

For future reference we have a Blu-ray Disc review database here with alphabetized links to all of our reviews so that readers like yourself don't have to pour over pages searching for a particular review. Here is the link:

AVSForum Blu-ray Disc review database

Regards,

Ralph, I searched the threads and checked your list, but didn't see "Once Upon a Time in America". Will you be reviewing it?

PS: Your reviews are thoughtful and very well written... thanks.
post #273 of 473 Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Ralph, I searched the threads and checked your list, but didn't see "Once Upon a Time in America". Will you be reviewing it?

PS: Your reviews are thoughtful and very well written... thanks.

That is one of top 5 films. I have a copy here and am considering a write up once my slate is clear.

Yours Truly,

Chopped Liver
post #274 of 473 Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

That is one of top 5 films. I have a copy here and am considering a write up once my slate is clear.

Yours Truly,

Chopped Liver

Greetings,

I like chopped liver..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #275 of 473 Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yours Truly,

Chopped Liver

Looking forward to your review. I didn't realize you were doing them along with Ralph. I had never read the blu-ray forum until buying Inception and reading Ralph's review. Then I picked up Goodfellas, my favorite movie, and found his review. Last week I picked up Once Upon a Time in America, and wrote to see if he was going to review it.

I just now read your fine Lebanon review and several others. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Once Upon a Time. It's in my top five list, too. Thanks.
post #276 of 473 Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Enter The Void.
Any plans on reviewing that one? It comes out today
post #277 of 473 Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 86
Quote:

Looking forward to your review. I didn't realize you were doing them along with Ralph. I had never read the blu-ray forum until buying Inception and reading Ralph's review. Then I picked up Goodfellas, my favorite movie, and found his review. Last week I picked up Once Upon a Time in America, and wrote to see if he was going to review it.

I just now read your fine Lebanon review and several others. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Once Upon a Time. It's in my top five list, too. Thanks.

I was just messing around man! thanks fot the kind words...I have a bunch in the cue to get through, before I can even think about watching OUATIA...
post #278 of 473 Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just messing around man! thanks fot the kind words...I have a bunch in the cue to get through, before I can even think about watching OUATIA...

I really did think you were kidding, but wasn't sure, since I hadn't spent any time in this forum. So I decided it wouldn't hurt to drop a line.

They are turning out blu rays like there's no tomorrow, so I can imagine you guys are swamped. Don't hesitate to fast forward through some crummy ones to get to OUATIA.
post #279 of 473 Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just got the Dragon Hunters BD today, and it was awesome.

I am, as many here are, a big fan of the animated films. This one I found on Netflix and watched it without knowing anything about it.

Even via Netflix the art of the movie blew me away. Possibly the most creative CGI movie I have ever seen. Story was simple, cute funny. Eye candy was awesome.

The BD version graphically is great, I am no expert and I wont comment on anything lacking in the video quality. For me it seemed excellent. But beyond technical purity in the CGI presentation the artwork and creativity in this film stand out making it a joy to watch over and over again.

I would encourage anyone to seek out this hidden gem and see what you think. For me and my daughter it is a flight of fantasy that is near the top of our list.
post #280 of 473 Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude417 View Post

Not sure if this is the right spot for this post but here goes...
I am looking for a music BD that will highlight my recently purchased surround set up. I love rock music but I am thinking that a BD of classical music would be awesome. Does anyone know of a BD that features great audio and video, preferably classical/symphony orchestra or jazz? I am open to other suggestions outside of that as well.

Check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361558/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Iron-M...-Blu-ray/5254/
Iron Maiden's "Flight 666"

It's live tour footage from various venues and produced by Sam Dunn, The chap from Victoria BC who did the "Metal: A headbangers journey" and "Global Metal" documentary. It's a 1080p title with DTS-HD and it's some of the best sound I've heard from live concert footage. Great picture as well.
post #281 of 473 Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

They are turning out blu rays like there's no tomorrow

No kidding! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say my wallet is hurting
post #282 of 473 Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
WARNING

Beware of the new movie RED. Summit studios has released two version of the bluray movie. One is a movie only version with only a dd5.1 sound track and a video bitrate of (BD25): 25779 kbps.

The special addition has a DTS-MA sound track and a video bitrate of (BD50): 28024 kbps.

You are getting an inferior version if you buy the "movie only" version. They do not state these changes clearly on the box. I was duped into the movie only version thinking i was getting everything but all the extras. Found out I was wrong. Target how ever is aware of this and is allowing to return my movie which is kind of them since this isn't their fault.

Found most of this info here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...io-comparisons

PS: i wonder what Ralph has to say about this new alarming trend. I hope it doesn't become the norm.
post #283 of 473 Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Dalumberjack, thats dangerous, i really dont like that. Anybody know of others like this? I dont care for extras and many times i look for just a bluray or dvd without a second disc or a bunch of extra stuff, i never considered it wouldnt be the best version of the movie stats.

never take life seriously
post #284 of 473 Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

WARNING

Beware of the new movie RED. Summit studios has released two version of the bluray movie. One is a movie only version with only a dd5.1 sound track and a video bitrate of (BD25): 25779 kbps.

The special addition has a DTS-MA sound track and a video bitrate of (BD50): 28024 kbps.

You are getting an inferior version if you buy the "movie only" version. They do not state these changes clearly on the box. I was duped into the movie only version thinking i was getting everything but all the extras. Found out I was wrong. Target how ever is aware of this and is allowing to return my movie which is kind of them since this isn't their fault.

Found most of this info here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...io-comparisons

PS: i wonder what Ralph has to say about this new alarming trend. I hope it doesn't become the norm.

I guess that's why the movie only edition sells for $13 bucks while the special edition is more.
post #285 of 473 Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

I guess that's why the movie only edition sells for $13 bucks while the special edition is more.

some stores still sell it for $22 dollars. For example, target sells it now for $22.99. I must of gotten it on "sale" at target lol.
post #286 of 473 Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM

I bought my basic BD version of Red at Walmart and the price on the shelf was higher than the $13 amount at the checkout, surprised me.

From now on I will double check and see if I am getting a watered down BD "generic" brand instead of a quality BD.

And frankly this smells of a class action lawsuit in the making, or a massive counterfeit ring selling BD copies to the big box stores. Most people would not have noticed if a BD was actually a real BD, just because it plays in a BD player.

On a conspiracy theory view it could be that the big box stores fully know that these generic BD movies have the bare thrills in them, basic audio and no extras and are not letting the public know this. Cheaper to manufacture, larger profit margin?
post #287 of 473 Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

JoeB,
On the same topic...the bluray of "A Bridge too Far" is a nice blu disk of what I think is 1 of theee best WWII films ever. My guess is a Ralph review would put video in 80 ish and sound in mid 80's but it is a solid step up from the dvd. "Battle of Britain" on blu is sweet as well

Just wanted to let you guys know that I picked up the Criterion release of The Thin Red Line yesterday and watched it last night. Although not your typical WWII movie, it's a good analysis of the human condition when put in the horrifying face of infantry wartime.

I must say Criterion did a really nice remastering job on this one. Video quality ranks right up there with some of the best, with audio maybe at second tier level.

Now I wish someone would do a critical remastering job of The Guns of Navarone. I remember seeing this as a kid with my dad and was mesmerized. I watch it whenever it is played on cable, but it clearly is in need of some love!
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #288 of 473 Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Just a suggestion to Ralph and Lee:

If you could include the releases UPC number right after the release dates, it would be a nice bit of information to include. Especially with the plethora of releases now sporting several different combo sets. Also makes it easy and quick to go look them up at retailers.
post #289 of 473 Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is there any chance to see a review of the Complete Series of Deadwood they released on blu ray a few months ago? It may be one of the best, if not the best show HBO has ever done. David Milch is a genious. He should've written Starz's Spartacus series and it would've been even better.

P.S. I saw above about the movie only version of Red only having a Dolby Digital track. I bought the 2nd Pirates of the Carribean on BD a few days ago and on the back it says it has a DTS HD audio track but when I played it, I realized that it had an uncompressed 5.1 PCM track (which still sounded great) and not the DTS HD track as stated. Anyone know anything about this?

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #290 of 473 Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just picked up the BD set of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy. I have read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and am hafway through The Girl who Played with Fire. They are fantastic stories. Can't wait to watch Part 1 tonight! I am just wondering if there will be a review on these films??
post #291 of 473 Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

WARNING

This kind of stuff is very scary to someone like me. I dont care for extra's, I never find time to watch them, so I am always happy to get a version with only the movie, but I certainly dont want a lessor version of the movie!!!!! What kind of crap is this?????????

never take life seriously
post #292 of 473 Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11
Just wondering if you would be reviewing the Stanley Kubrick Collection that was just released on BR?

Thanks
Andrew
post #293 of 473 Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Should review A SCANNER DARKLY, has SUPERB image quality, sound is only average tough
post #294 of 473 Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I sent the following info to VideoSales@entonegroup.com. Thought forum readers would like to know about it as well.

I received my copy of the Blu-ray release of Rookie Blue, from Amazon.com, and over the weekend did a viewing marathon of all the episodes, and the special features.

Unfortunately the release contains programming and production errors. It is as if no one bothered to test the discs before duplication was started.

Discs 1 and 3 are fine. Here is a list of the issues:

Disc 2:

1) Episode 5 - Pop-up menu is not there/not available. It is for all 12 of the other episodes on the discs.

Disc 4:

1) Featurette aspect ratio is wrong. It appears as though the 16:9 video was shrunk vertically to around 2.35:1 and then letterboxed for 16:9. It really looks bad.

2) After doing a "Play All" of the Stryker report pieces, instead of returning to the Special Features menu, episode 13 is played. I do not know what happens when each of the reports are played separately.

3) Trailer #1 has the same wrong aspect ratio issue as #1 above.

4) After Trailer #1 plays, it returns to episode 13 at the point where I used the pop-up menu to return to the special features.

5) After Trailer #2 plays, it returns to episode 13 at the point where I used the pop-up menu in #4 to return to the special features.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #295 of 473 Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Ralph,
Just wondering if you had gotten a copy of this great film, due out in a couple of days (June 7), for review. This is one of my favorites, and it's in my shopping cart to purchase.

While I normally just hit "Buy Now" on favorite films, I've been disappointed at a number of recent blu ray releases, most notably "The Greatest Story Ever Told", which should be re-titled "The Greatest Disappointment Ever Sold". There are a couple of others that have made me gun-shy lately, so I'm hoping you or other people with honest observations can post an informative review of this upcoming blu ray release. This movie deserves a good transfer, so here's hoping that it gets it.
post #296 of 473 Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

Ralph,
Just wondering if you had gotten a copy of this great film, due out in a couple of days (June 7), for review. This is one of my favorites, and it's in my shopping cart to purchase.

While I normally just hit "Buy Now" on favorite films, I've been disappointed at a number of recent blu ray releases, most notably "The Greatest Story Ever Told", which should be re-titled "The Greatest Disappointment Ever Sold". There are a couple of others that have made me gun-shy lately, so I'm hoping you or other people with honest observations can post an informative review of this upcoming blu ray release. This movie deserves a good transfer, so here's hoping that it gets it.

Greetings,

It didn't come my way for review SC. Sorry about that..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #297 of 473 Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

any plans to review The Stunt Man? Just released on Bluray, one of greatest movies evarrrr!!!
post #298 of 473 Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Hi Ralph I've just read you've received your copy of LOTR EE I'm looking forward in reading your review especially the first. Unfortunately I cannot trust screen caps downloaded from torrent sites so at least I know I'm getting a review from legitimate copies. Can't wait!!

Frank

post #299 of 473 Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi Ralph I've just read you've received your copy of LOTR EE I'm looking forward in reading your review especially the first. Unfortunately I cannot trust screen caps downloaded from torrent sites so at least I know I'm getting a review from legitimate copies. Can't wait!!

Greetings,

Thanks Frank!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #300 of 473 Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
How long before your review for LOTR EE is out Ralph?

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page