AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews - General Discussion Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 482 Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks, Ralph. A quick correction: use of a magnifying glass (really!) showed me that the cover didn't list any extras, and there's an "Alliance" logo in the bottom right corner of the cover. Of course, I couldn't see that with a blind buy online.

The three soundtrack options on this version are DTS HD Master Audio in English and in French, and an English Dolby Digital version. All are 5.1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 482 Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
LEJ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just bought the blu ray of x-men first class, and I noticed neon blue, broken lines horizontally acorss the screen in a couple of scenes (one blue line in the middle of the screen in the scene in argentina, and a few blue lines in the scene where Havoc learns to use his power in the bunker). I haven't noticed this happening with any other DVDs, and it is just in those two scenes. I have a oppo player. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it is the disc or the player?

Thanks so much for your help!

Update: I went and exchanged the disc for another, and the blue lines are still showing up in the same sections. Any suggestions?? Also, I heard from someone who is having the same issues with the same movie (to an even greater extent), when they try to watch it on their computer or PS3, so maybe it is something to do with the settings on my player?
post #333 of 482 Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Because an Amazon Marketplace buy that comes off the "other buying options" list from the main product page doesn't take you to a product page for the other seller, but only shows what that seller writes for a short squib in the list, it's a risky proposition.

We assume that it's the same product, but it may be a variant version of the disk that only shares the same title.

Even Amazon's order history is keyed only by title - so it linked to a different seller's product page every time I clicked on it, none of them the same as the guy I bought it from - who took the hit and issued me a full refund (including initial shipping). He didn't know there were different versions of the disk, and only had the Canadian. (He's going to have to try to resell that disk, used, for nearly nothing.) I paid for return shipping myself, though Amazon could have made him pay.

I advised him to put the name of the publisher and any version info in the squib that appears in the list to avoid having the same thing happen in the future. At least he could say the buyer was on notice that it wasn't the more expensive version.

So if you see a really tempting offer in the "other buying options" list, try to navigate to - and buy from - that seller's product page at amazon to make sure it's the version you want.

post #334 of 482 Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post

Update: I went and exchanged the disc for another, and the blue lines are still showing up in the same sections. Any suggestions?? Also, I heard from someone who is having the same issues with the same movie (to an even greater extent), when they try to watch it on their computer or PS3, so maybe it is something to do with the settings on my player?

Just got my copy over the weekend and was watching it and didn't notice any type of blue line. If there was a blue line then it's hardly noticeable at least for me.

Ralph,

Any upcoming review for X-Men First Class?
post #335 of 482 Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Just got my copy over the weekend and was watching it and didn't notice any type of blue line. If there was a blue line then it's hardly noticeable at least for me.

Ralph,

Any upcoming review for X-Men First Class?

Greetings,

Just posted James..

I didn't have any problems with the video LEJ.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #336 of 482 Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
LEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

You're seeing lens reflections.

I'm sorry, I don't know much about this... what are lens reflections, and is there anything I can do about them? Thanks!!
post #337 of 482 Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Hey I just watched the blu ray on my PS3 and i noticed the same lines. It looked like lens reflection but I've never had that happen before. Also the lines came out at the same spots as the other member (argentina scene and havoc training.) I watched the movie on my projector but I'm going to rewatch those scenes on my plasma and see if the lines appear again.
post #338 of 482 Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 AM

I purchased the new star wars original set on blue ray yesterday and it's totally awesome......watched a new hope the sound is truly amazing in THX also the picture is perfectly crisp and clear in detail.
post #339 of 482 Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

I purchased the new star wars original set on blue ray yesterday and it's totally awesome......watched a new hope the sound is truly amazing in THX also the picture is perfectly crisp and clear in detail.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it! I am hoping to post my review tomorrow..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #340 of 482 Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

Picked up my copy today and am watching Episode IV and am amazed by the quality of the BR (although contrast and colors shift across the spectrum); it has rejuvenated this film for me.

I'm saddened that the original theatrical release wasn't included but I don't think we'll see it until Lucas regains his sanity or he leaves us for greener pastures.

Here's to hoping the rest of the films are given an effective transfer to BR (without too many CGI "improvements" by Lucas). Looking forward to Ralph's review too!

-Shimon
post #341 of 482 Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, I finally picked up a copy of Band of Brothers(great deal a CC). After watching the first two episodes, it didn't disappoint. What a fantastic series. I saw this when it first came out on HBO, but the blu-ray version is phenominal. I am going to try to savour this series, and not blaze through the episodes.
post #342 of 482 Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Well, I finally picked up a copy of Band of Brothers(great deal a CC). After watching the first two episodes, it didn't disappoint. What a fantastic series. I saw this when it first came out on HBO, but the blu-ray version is phenominal. I am going to try to savour this series, and not blaze through the episodes.

Especially the sound is absolutely amazing... The Pacific's image/sound quality is way better; but BOB is a better show.
post #343 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it possible that during production of Blu-Rays that an issue could occur on a small percentage of them? I am hoping so, because I unexpectedly detected a contrast issue with a new Blu-Ray disc. Before getting the disk, I saw Book of Eli on cable TV and was able to see the actors faces and clothing detail just prior to the first battle scene near the overpass. Bought the Blu-Ray and in the same scene, the actors were almost completely in silhouette; almost the same as when they genuinely were in silhouette when the action retreated underneath the overpass. Just prior, it was hard on the eyes trying to see detail that was so lost in shadow. It made me doubt my TV calibration and I checked it. All was okay. In fact, the forced preview videos on the same disk had good looking video. Just the movie showed lack of middle range detail. I subsequently returned the disc to Amazon and await a replacement.
post #344 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Is it possible that during production of Blu-Rays that an issue could occur on a small percentage of them? I am hoping so, because I unexpectedly detected a contrast issue with a new Blu-Ray disc. Before getting the disk, I saw Book of Eli on cable TV and was able to see the actors faces and clothing detail just prior to the first battle scene near the overpass. Bought the Blu-Ray and in the same scene, the actors were almost completely in silhouette; almost the same as when they genuinely were in silhouette when the action retreated underneath the overpass. Just prior, it was hard on the eyes trying to see detail that was so lost in shadow. It made me doubt my TV calibration and I checked it. All was okay. In fact, the forced preview videos on the same disk had good looking video. Just the movie showed lack of middle range detail. I subsequently returned the disc to Amazon and await a replacement.

Greetings,

Anything is possible I suppose. What are you using to ensure that your white/black levels are accurate?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #345 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Be sure to check what picture mode your display is in when watching TV versus the Blu-ray. It sounds like your gamma is messed up via Blu-ray, which could be cause by your picture mode or even possibly your Blu-ray player. Have you messed with any of the internal settings in the Blu-ray player (contrast, brightness, gamma, etc.)? Which brand of player do you have?

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision MagazineĀ (Print & Online)

post #346 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Ralph, I used the Disney WOW disc for those levels. I had eventually graduated myself to the advanced tests and gotten nicely acceptable results. As an example, a prior movie like The Dark Knight displayed as expected.

David, it's an Oppo BDP-93. I don't think I messed with its video controls, but I sure will check on that.

What's amusing about the situation is that my viewing of the same movie dates back to before my four year old Sony Bravia LCD broke and was replaced in late 2011 with a Samsung plasma D7000 series. The movie looked okay on the old LCD; where on the televised version I saw detail in the clothes and faces during the tense threats leading to the battle.
post #347 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ralph, I used the Disney WOW disc for those levels. I had eventually graduated myself to the advanced tests and gotten nicely acceptable results. As an example, a prior movie like The Dark Knight displayed as expected.

David, it's an Oppo BDP-93. I don't think I messed with its video controls, but I sure will check on that.

What's amusing about the situation is that my viewing of the same movie dates back to before my four year old Sony Bravia LCD broke and was replaced in late 2011 with a Samsung plasma D7000 series. The movie looked okay on the old LCD; where on the televised version I saw detail in the clothes and faces during the tense threats leading to the battle.

Double check the Oppo settings, just in case, but this seems very strange. The WOW disc is super accurate and if you follow their instructions, then things should look pretty darn good. I would check the TV settings as well to make sure you're using the same picture mode for TV and for your Blu-ray input, just to be sure.

David Vaughn

post #348 of 482 Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Will do. Thanks.
post #349 of 482 Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes...you do need to check your Oppo BDP-93 settings...I have seen some that require adjustment. For example, my Cambridge Azur 751BD, which is an Oppo BDP-93 with an Audio upgrade, required the Contrast setting to be turned down to -10 ... a HUGE adjustment ... to get the BD Player Properly Calibrated.

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #350 of 482 Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I waited until the replacement came; showed up yesterday, and put it on without checking anything - the lazy man's way to start out. Same issue. In the meantime, I had sauntered over to the calibration thread and learned about bias lighting. Controversial subject, it appeared. So, next test will be the Oppo check plus a re-calibration for dark room, then touched up with a bias light on. Maybe the movie in question has demonstrated defects in my setup, whereas most other movies I looked at gave me a pass.

btw - RBFilms, my setup is Oppo going HDMI into Receiver, then Receiver HDMI into the TV. Any calibration I have done was strictly on the TV. I suppose it's okay to change settings on the Oppo as well? (assuming that Oppo settings have been untouched/ at factory settings across the board)?
post #351 of 482 Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph or Lee,

Any chance this will be coming up for review?

Thx
post #352 of 482 Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, all of my BD Players

2 - Oppo BDP-93
1 - Cambridge Axur 751BD
1 - Sonly PS3 - (Old Style)

ALL needed calibration settings tweaked to get ideal results. The cambridge was off by -10 clicks on contrast. I could not even get my TV Calibrated using WOW without fixing the BD Player first.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I waited until the replacement came; showed up yesterday, and put it on without checking anything - the lazy man's way to start out. Same issue. In the meantime, I had sauntered over to the calibration thread and learned about bias lighting. Controversial subject, it appeared. So, next test will be the Oppo check plus a re-calibration for dark room, then touched up with a bias light on. Maybe the movie in question has demonstrated defects in my setup, whereas most other movies I looked at gave me a pass.

btw - RBFilms, my setup is Oppo going HDMI into Receiver, then Receiver HDMI into the TV. Any calibration I have done was strictly on the TV. I suppose it's okay to change settings on the Oppo as well? (assuming that Oppo settings have been untouched/ at factory settings across the board)?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #353 of 482 Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Yes, all of my BD Players

2 - Oppo BDP-93
1 - Cambridge Axur 751BD
1 - Sonly PS3 - (Old Style)

ALL needed calibration settings tweaked to get ideal results. The cambridge was off by -10 clicks on contrast. I could not even get my TV Calibrated using WOW without fixing the BD Player first.

What TV were you using during those times?

I'll check my settings as soon as vacationing visitors leave. I might even download the same film from Vudu in order to see a comparison prior to tweaking, due to the display looking okay with other flicks (which doesn't necessarily mean that what I am seeing with other flicks might need improvement; maybe they possess lots of leeway).

Added this: I read the Oppo manual in the relevant section and they advise tweaking the blu-ray player after having had exhausted the possible tweaking in the TV controls (using a disk such as Spears & Munsil, or in this case, Disney's WOW.)
post #354 of 482 Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Just a suggestion that I thought I would post up here and see if anyone else agrees.

I think that there need to be more reviews of the older releases that are new to Blu. For example, there are no reviews for either North By Northwest or Bullitt.

It could just be that there is only enough time for some of the releases to Blu, or maybe the reasoning is that these classics will be purchased regardless of quality because of being favorite flix.

No biggie, just a suggestion.
post #355 of 482 Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphrider74 View Post

Just a suggestion that I thought I would post up here and see if anyone else agrees.

I think that there need to be more reviews of the older releases that are new to Blu. For example, there are no reviews for either North By Northwest or Bullitt.

It could just be that there is only enough time for some of the releases to Blu, or maybe the reasoning is that these classics will be purchased regardless of quality because of being favorite flix.

No biggie, just a suggestion.

Greetings,

Thanks for the suggestion. I cover titles like those when they are sent to me for review. I recently reviewed To kill a mockingbird. If you take a look at the 900 plus reviews I have posted (in the review database) you will see some of the classic releases I have covered.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #356 of 482 Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the following PDP Display Panels:

* Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M - (Master Bedroom)
* Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M - (Home Theater)

It did not matter which TV I used, the Plasmas are reference quality and they are professionally calibrated. Cambridge messed with the firmware of the Oppo BD-93 that their system is based on. Cambridge typically makes a great product, but it is impossible to reach them for tech support. You must go through a dealer, and not all dealers are on top of communicating with Cambridge. I cannot recommend the Cambridge Azur 751-BD Player due to this issue. STick with an Oppo if you want a reference BD Player.

VUDU is the best of the streaming services as far as quality, but it is a far cry from Blu-ray Disc. For evaluation purposes, I would try to view high quality content that is know to be reference quality off a Blu-ray Disc.

Quote:

What TV were you using during those times?

I'll check my settings as soon as vacationing visitors leave. I might even download the same film from Vudu in order to see a comparison prior to tweaking, due to the display looking okay with other flicks (which doesn't necessarily mean that what I am seeing with other flicks might need improvement; maybe they possess lots of leeway).

Added this: I read the Oppo manual in the relevant section and they advise tweaking the blu-ray player after having had exhausted the possible tweaking in the TV controls (using a disk such as Spears & Munsil, or in this case, Disney's WOW.)

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #357 of 482 Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

VUDU is the best of the streaming services as far as quality, but it is a far cry from Blu-ray Disc. For evaluation purposes, I would try to view high quality content that is know to be reference quality off a Blu-ray Disc.

I couldn't agree more...Vudu is great for what it is, but it pales in comparison to Blu-ray.

David Vaughn

post #358 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I couldn't agree more...Vudu is great for what it is, but it pales in comparison to Blu-ray.

Greetings,

^ make that +2..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #359 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

Plus 3, lol.

I temporarily misplaced my WOW disc, so I cracked open a cellophane wrapped Spears & Munsil that I had in the cabinet (initial buying frenzy). That disc took boning up on the documentation because the Spears & Munsil didn't come with Goofy to help me out. Afterward, I happened across the WOW disc. I'll probably flip a coin as to which to use for the next testing session, but I'm real curious about the patterns on Spears & Munsil.
post #360 of 482 Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph or Lee,

Any chance of the Immortal movie review coming up? Pretty excited about this one.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Futurama by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page