AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews - General Discussion Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 473 Old 10-05-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi Ralph! Have you had a chance to review "Mud" ? its simply a stellar movie and a must see wink.gif

Greetings,

I have seen it audiofan1 (rented on Vudu) but didn't receive it for review. I liked it as well...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 473 Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Mud reminded me a lot of Sling Blade" and by that I mean it had such a easy to watch flow perhaps due to the small town feel, not felt pushed or forced performance wise and the story had me very involved in how it would all end. The A/V pristine and the audio made itself known when needed and some of those sunsets took my breath away. And I must say I loved the soundtrack as well.

Did this even hit the theater or strait to disc?
post #453 of 473 Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That's one film I would like to see
Hi Franin! its worth the watch and there are some notable performances as well smile.gif
post #454 of 473 Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Mud is one of my favorite movies of the year.
audiofan1 likes this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #455 of 473 Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I have made a modification to my review template in the audio ratings category. I have changed the bass rating category from Low Frequency Extension to Low Frequency Effects. The rating parameter for Low Frequency Effects will continue to be evaluated as I always have which takes into account the track's low frequency support as it pertains to the overall blend/balance within the surround mix.

I have added an additional non-factored rating element that will be called Low Frequency Extension. This will be found beneath the other audio rating elements and will be scored from 0.5 to 5.0 (like the others) however it won't be factored in the overall audio rating. The purpose of this addition is to provide some frame of reference for readers interested in my perspective on the presence of ultra low frequency content in the audio mix. I have made my viewpoint on how I rate soundtracks on Blu-ray clear however this will allow readers at a glance to get a feel for this aspect of the presentation.

That may or may not mean that the presence of ultra low content is pervasive, as many times it is momentary/fleeting, however I usually add my thoughts on that in my comments. This will not be done using measurements but will be a subjective analysis based upon what I hear. In the event there is nothing applicable with respect to the new rating element for Low Frequency Extension within a particular soundtrack (my review of Samson and Delilah is an example) it will be marked NA for not applicable.

I will give this and try and see how it goes as I am aware that there are those that follow our reviews who have expressed an interest in this area.

As always we appreciate your support and while we don't always hit the nail on the head it surely isn't due to a lack of trying. wink.gif

Best regards,
audiofan1 and ambesolman like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #456 of 473 Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I have made a modification to my review template in the audio ratings category. I have changed the bass rating category from Low Frequency Extension to Low Frequency Effects. The rating parameter for Low Frequency Effects will continue to be evaluated as I always have which takes into account the track's low frequency support as it pertains to the overall blend/balance within the surround mix.

I have added an additional non-factored rating element that will be called Low Frequency Extension. This will be found beneath the other audio rating elements and will be scored from 0.5 to 5.0 (like the others) however it won't be factored in the overall audio rating. The purpose of this addition is to provide some frame of reference for readers interested in my perspective on the presence of ultra low frequency content in the audio mix. I have made my viewpoint on how I rate soundtracks on Blu-ray clear however this will allow readers at a glance to get a feel for this aspect of the presentation.

That may or may not mean that the presence of ultra low content is pervasive, as many times it is momentary/fleeting, however I usually add my thoughts on that in my comments. This will not be done using measurements but will be a subjective analysis based upon what I hear. In the event there is nothing applicable with respect to the new rating element for Low Frequency Extension within a particular soundtrack (my review of Samson and Delilah is an example) it will be marked NA for not applicable.

I will give this and try and see how it goes as I am aware that there are those that follow our reviews who have expressed an interest in this area.

As always we appreciate your support and while we don't always hit the nail on the head it surely isn't due to a lack of trying. wink.gif

Best regards,
Looking forward to reading more of your reviews Ralph.

Max
post #457 of 473 Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Best regards,

Class act Ralph smile.gif
post #458 of 473 Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks for giving this a trial, Ralph. It's one of those things I'm always wondering about with certain films but haven't been able to determine what to expect based on most reviews. cool.gif

oz
post #459 of 473 Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks guys. My next review, The Hunger Games Catching Fire, will use the new ratings. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #460 of 473 Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks guys. My next review, The Hunger Games Catching Fire, will use the new ratings. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph, thanks for incorporating this into your reviews.

As a frame of reference for us "bass heads"; have you done a sweep to see how capable your current sub is in regards to low frequency extension? I'm only asking because if your setup is only good to say 16 hz before falling like a rock; it's hard to give an accurate rating in regards to LFE for the masses. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do know there are more and more single digit capable systems popping up on this site. There are other sources to find this information, but it would be nice to be able to incorporate the entire enchilada, so to speak, into a single review.

Thanks,
Travis

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #461 of 473 Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Ralph, thanks for incorporating this into your reviews.

As a frame of reference for us "bass heads"; have you done a sweep to see how capable your current sub is in regards to low frequency extension? I'm only asking because if your setup is only good to say 16 hz before falling like a rock; it's hard to give an accurate rating in regards to LFE for the masses. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do know there are more and more single digit capable systems popping up on this site. There are other sources to find this information, but it would be nice to be able to incorporate the entire enchilada, so to speak, into a single review.

Thanks,
Travis

While not trying to speak for Ralph, perhaps small steps are in order, but to be honest its completely unnecessary and that's why DB exist cool.gif We already have our cake and can eat it too wink.gif If too much emphasis is focused on this single aspect of the review, I would honestly find it distracting to say the least and if this is done next thing you know the guys with 11.2 or 5.1 or 16.4 capable systems will want their pound of flesh as well and in the end we'll just be looking at graphs. This thread is just fine as it is, for me of course smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #462 of 473 Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

While not trying to speak for Ralph, perhaps small steps are in order, but to be honest its completely unnecessary and that's why DB exist cool.gif We already have our cake and can eat it too wink.gif If too much emphasis is focused on this single aspect of the review, I would honestly find it distracting to say the least and if this is done next thing you know the guys with 11.2 or 5.1 or 16.4 capable systems will want their pound of flesh as well and in the end we'll just be looking at graphs. This thread is just fine as it is, for me of course smile.gif

Greetings,

I agree Jeff. As I stated this is how it will be implemented as I don't want it to be become the focal point in the review.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and interest. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #463 of 473 Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

I agree Jeff. As I stated this is how it will be implemented as I don't want it to be become the focal point in the review.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and interest. smile.gif

Regards,

I'd hate to see you scrambling to get those graphs ready for a deadline biggrin.gif and not to mention the money you'd have to spend to keep ahead of this ever changing hobby of ours wink.gif
post #464 of 473 Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Sticky..!

Regards,
imagic likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #465 of 473 Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rumor was that the Blu Ray of The Abyss was due out last fall...still no where's to be found. Does anyone have a clue as to the extended versions release?
post #466 of 473 Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Rumor was that the Blu Ray of The Abyss was due out last fall...still no where's to be found. Does anyone have a clue as to the extended versions release?
Greetings,

Great question Steve. I have heard nothing on the North American release of The Abyss. It is among my favorite James Cameron films. Should I hear anything I will post back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #467 of 473 Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The wife and I watched the extended release of the "Abyss" last night and while a few tweaks via the Oppo 105 ( zoom etc..) the experience was as one would expect from this stellar movie, its been far too long since viewing it and I got tired of waiting for the Bluray release!

here's to hoping its still coming
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #468 of 473 Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
The wife and I watched the extended release of the "Abyss" last night and while a few tweaks via the Oppo 105 ( zoom etc..) the experience was as one would expect from this stellar movie, its been far too long since viewing it and I got tired of waiting for the Bluray release!

Greetings,

I hear ya Jeff. I may have to pull my extended edition DVD out and give her a spin as well...

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #469 of 473 Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ralph,

I also would like to see The Abyss. But even more so True Lies. Any word on True Lies? I have heard for the past two or three years that True Lies would be released that year but it never happens. I am getting worried that these two titles will never be on blu ray.

Thanks,

Austin
post #470 of 473 Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

The Abyss and the Haunting ( The one with Liam Neeson ) for me. Still waiting
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank

post #471 of 473 Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Ralph you should be reviewing Capt America 2 and Spider-Man 2 ( not Tobey McGuire one ) soon?
post #472 of 473 Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hey Ralph you should be reviewing Capt America 2 and Spider-Man 2 ( not Tobey McGuire one ) soon?
Greetings,

I have requested both of them Frank. Spider man 2 comes out August 19th while Captain America: The Winter Soldier comes out September 9th.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #473 of 473 Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I have requested both of them Frank. Spider man 2 comes out August 19th while Captain America: The Winter Soldier comes out September 9th.

Regards,
Excellent. Captain America 2 actually comes out a week earlier over here Ralph. Looking forward to your review regardless.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page