AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews - General Discussion Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #481 of 498 Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I guess Ralph you will be reviewing Captain America 2 this week? Looking forward in receiving my copy next wedneday
Greetings,

Hi Frank, my screener disc (no 3D! ) is on the way and should arrive mid week.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 498 Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Hi Frank, my screener disc (no 3D! ) is on the way and should arrive mid week.

Regards,
Looking forward in reading your review Ralph
Franin is online now  
post #483 of 498 Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Apache
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question X-MEN Days of Future Past

Hi Lee, Ralph

Any word yet on X-MEN Days of Future Past? If I'm not mistaken, I think it is due to release this coming Tuesday, Oct. 14th.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best,
thebesthereis is offline  
post #484 of 498 Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It may be less expensive to buy Blu Rays, especially if you buy them on sale and a door buster sales. Here's an explanation:chipbrown.me/2013/05/16/is-physical-product-cheaper-than-netflix/

The quality is also better (less compression) and you also get a lot more extras and it's way cheaper than actually going to the movie theater.
Instantchip is offline  
post #485 of 498 Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post
Hi Lee, Ralph

Any word yet on X-MEN Days of Future Past? If I'm not mistaken, I think it is due to release this coming Tuesday, Oct. 14th.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best,
Greetings,

20th Century Fox has changed their policy with respect to forwarding Blu-ray screeners for review. They have now opened a "Digital Screening Room" online for press to watch new releases in advance. The titles are in watermarked HD and of course there is no option for surround sound playback, lossless or otherwise. This will make it impossible for writers to report on the quality of both the image and sound.

Any Blu-ray screeners that are sent out will go only to a limited few online reviewers probably on a case by case basis. I have something arriving today from 20th Century Fox but if I had to guess it's not X-Men but probably a DreamWorks title that streets today (Fox distributes DreamWorks so their screeners come from them also). I will advise.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #486 of 498 Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post
Hi Lee, Ralph

Any word yet on X-MEN Days of Future Past? If I'm not mistaken, I think it is due to release this coming Tuesday, Oct. 14th.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

20th Century Fox has changed their policy with respect to forwarding Blu-ray screeners for review. They have now opened a "Digital Screening Room" online for press to watch new releases in advance. The titles are in watermarked HD and of course there is no option for surround sound playback, lossless or otherwise. This will make it impossible for writers to report on the quality of both the image and sound.

Any Blu-ray screeners that are sent out will go only to a limited few online reviewers probably on a case by case basis. I have something arriving today from 20th Century Fox but if I had to guess it's not X-Men but probably a DreamWorks title that streets today (Fox distributes DreamWorks so their screeners come from them also). I will advise.


Regards,
Greetings,

I am happy to report that X-Men Days of future past arrived today from Fox. Look for my review on Thursday..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #487 of 498 Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Hey Ralph are you getting Maleficent ? The reason why I ask is because the Australian copy says DTS HD MA but its actually only DTS. Curious to read if US version is DTS HD MA

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #488 of 498 Old 10-17-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hey Ralph are you getting Maleficent ? The reason why I ask is because the Australian copy says DTS HD MA but its actually only DTS. Curious to read if US version is DTS HD MA
Greetings,

I have requested it Frank and expect it to arrive in the next week. To my knowledge it contains a 7.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack..


Regards,
Franin likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #489 of 498 Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,



I have requested it Frank and expect it to arrive in the next week. To my knowledge it contains a 7.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack..





Regards,

Thanks Ralph! Will be keeping an eye out for your review.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #490 of 498 Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Member
 
DistractedJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
any one get the Blu-Ray version on the original version of Nutty Professor? If so how is it?...
DistractedJohn is offline  
post #491 of 498 Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Variation in BD PQ

I have a technical question and was thinking about opening up a new thread and asking it there instead but I figure most of the experts follow this one already so here goes:

Why do some blu rays look much better than others? Let me explain by what I mean.

Riddick and Jobs are my two reference blu ray discs that look absolutely unbelievable and had me rewinding, pausing and gushing every few minutes when I first saw them. As to the actual movies themselves- sadly they were a meandering mess

Does it have anything to do with how the movies were shot (camera, lenses, type of film?) Or are we talking about the quality of transfers, the film used or the amount of film grain?

Or is this just personal preference? For example I hate film grain. Probably because I have a Panasonic 65VT60 which already has dithering as a drawback to its PDP technology so any grain added to it only makes it worse in my opinion.

Maybe I need a videophile doctor to diagnose me because even though I can't say I enjoyed a second of the 2 movies mentioned above, I still bought them afterwards to show off my Panny to family and friends. It could mean that I like colors that pop off coupled with a sharp picture but who doesn't? All I can say is that it's been a good couple of months and I haven't seen any BD close to those two when it comes to PQ.

Can someone tell me why I like the PQ of those 2 movies so much and wish every blu ray disc looked like them?

Last edited by Chere; 10-27-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Chere is online now  
post #492 of 498 Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Member
 
toddbigeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Merlin Complete Series Blu Ray - Sound format?

Happy Thanksgiving week!
Does anyone know what sound format Merlin Complete Series Blu Ray is? 7.1 hopefully? I can't find any information out there.
thanks,
Todd
toddbigeasy is offline  
post #493 of 498 Old 12-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Good day, Ralph!

Just wondering if you'll be posting a review of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (released on blu-ray on Dec 02, 2014)?

Sorry if it has been posted already and I've missed it.

Thank you for all the fine reviews.

oz
ozar is offline  
post #494 of 498 Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Good day, Ralph!

Just wondering if you'll be posting a review of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (released on blu-ray on Dec 02, 2014)?

Sorry if it has been posted already and I've missed it.

Thank you for all the fine reviews.
Greetings,

Thanks for checking in oz. 20th Century Fox did not send a review copy. I picked up the Best Buy Metal Pack yesterday. I may put a Spotlight Review together although to be honest since the studio didn't send a copy I am torn about providing coverage for them.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #495 of 498 Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
20th Century Fox did not send a review copy. I picked up the Best Buy Metal Pack yesterday. I may put a Spotlight Review together although to be honest since the studio didn't send a copy I am torn about providing coverage for them.
Thanks, Ralph... can't say that I blame you. Maybe they will get around to sending your review copy. In the interim, I hope you enjoy watching the Best Buy Metal Pack purchase.
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
ozar is offline  
post #496 of 498 Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
CaptMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got my 3D tv and would like some recommendations on the best 3D titles that really show off the TV to purchase.

Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA
Yamaha TSR-6750WA
Sony S6200
Dish 211K
JM lab speakers
CaptMike is offline  
post #497 of 498 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Just finished watching TNMNT on BLU Ralph I think you will be impressed especially with the audio


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #498 of 498 Unread Today, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,536
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Just finished watching TNMNT on BLU Ralph I think you will be impressed especially with the audio


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greetings,

Finished it this morning Frank and yeah it sounds great..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Futurama by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off