post #91 of 482 Old 09-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Greetings,

Gladiator and Braveheart arrived today from Paramount. I will watch them and get them posted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the delay!

Enjoy! Looking forward to your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 482 Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Gladiator and Braveheart arrived today from Paramount. I will watch them and get them posted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the delay!

Regards,

Awesome I am really looking forward to your review!
early word was that Braveheart was amazing (for an older pic) and that Gladiator could have been better (although the Extended version is MUCH better than the theatrical). So I hope you take the time to compare both versions of Gladiator
post #93 of 482 Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Is there a list on here somewhere that says which Blu Ray titles include the DTS or Dolby Digital tracks? I seem to be getting a lot of discs lately that only have the HD audio track or stereo and since my receiver doesn't have audio over HDMI it would appear that in those cases I would be getting a better surround track with a regular DVD.
post #94 of 482 Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
I picked up both on Tuesday morning and just test drove real quick to make sure they load, play etc etc...

My 1st take/impression is that Braveheart has the better jump up in picture quality (especially surprised due to it being older) ... I have not really gone to the reference scenes in Gladiator yet. Gladiator did look awsome as well.

9/1 was the biggest BLU day ever for me since Gladiator is my favorite movie and Braveheart is a top 5 for me in itself.

All I need is "Lawrence of Arabia", "Saving Private Ryan", the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy and all "Star Wars" and I will be almost complete at upgarding the old std dvd library.

Awsome format.....still amazed.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #95 of 482 Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Ralph, I would like to say thank you for your reviews. What distinguishes one web site from another is how much of themselves members put into the site. It is clear to me that you go far beyond what most members put into most sites. Your reviews help make AVS forums one of the best sites on the net.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
post #96 of 482 Old 09-13-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by q3131a View Post

Ralph, I would like to say thank you for your reviews. What distinguishes one web site from another is how much of themselves members put into the site. It is clear to me that you go far beyond what most members put into most sites. Your reviews help make AVS forums one of the best sites on the net.

Greetings,

Thank you very much q3131a. I can't think of a nicer compliment..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 482 Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 AM

I have a Panasonic player and Crank 2 would not play, it would take forever to start anything and displayed a small graphic of something electrical looking with a download progress and eventually when an image did appear it was a super small display. I am guessing its an incompatibility software issue but never the less I am taking Crank 2 back and getting a refund, I'll wait until it comes out on cable.

I do not have any access to a high speed internet setup to upgrade software on my player.
post #98 of 482 Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Something is wrong with Crank 2 and my Panasonic BD 601 even with another disc that I exchanged, this movie won't work on this player and I cannot upgrade it, I'm tossing this movie into the trash, any other BD movie will play.
post #99 of 482 Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
X-Men Wolverine just came out today.

Hope you get a chance to review it Ralph. I appreciate all your hard work and putting your unbiased thoughts down on paper for us to read. It really does help when it comes to making a purchasing decision on some DVD you just don't know if you want them or not. Your doing great work.

Anyone else pick up this movie yet?

My HT / Family Room:

Calibration Settings for my Samsung HL67A750:

post #100 of 482 Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

I have a Panasonic player and Crank 2 would not play, it would take forever to start anything and displayed a small graphic of something electrical looking with a download progress and eventually when an image did appear it was a super small display. I am guessing its an incompatibility software issue but never the less I am taking Crank 2 back and getting a refund, I'll wait until it comes out on cable.

I do not have any access to a high speed internet setup to upgrade software on my player.

Why not just call Panasonic and have them ship you the CD with the (July 2009) firmware update?

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...MP-BD601K.D#ts

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #101 of 482 Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

X-Men Wolverine just came out today.

Hope you get a chance to review it Ralph. I appreciate all your hard work and putting your unbiased thoughts down on paper for us to read. It really does help when it comes to making a purchasing decision on some DVD you just don't know if you want them or not. Your doing great work.

Anyone else pick up this movie yet?

Greetings,

This hasn't shown up from Fox as of yet. I will get push to get it done as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #102 of 482 Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

X-Men Origins: Wolverine arrived. I will have the review up by weeks end. I also have Star Trek TOS Season 2 and hope to have that done in the coming days.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #103 of 482 Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Ralph,
How about starting a separate thread on Concerts or Music Videos? Looks like you have Video and Audio covered, but both are very broad and general.
I just got my HT setup and understand The Band's "The Last Waltz" is excellent and just ordered it.
Thanks

post #104 of 482 Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mr Ralph sir,

Did the Charlie Brown Christmas special find its way to you? I'd like to know what you think, if it did.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #105 of 482 Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Mr Ralph sir,

Did the Charlie Brown Christmas special find its way to you? I'd like to know what you think, if it did.

Seggers

Greetings,

Yes it did. It arrived a few days ago. Look for my review in the next day or two.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #106 of 482 Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in two weeks.
I hope they get it to you early so we can hear your impressions of it ralph!

I enjoy reading all your reviews. Keep up the great work!

My HT / Family Room:

Calibration Settings for my Samsung HL67A750:

post #107 of 482 Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in two weeks.
I hope they get it to you early so we can hear your impressions of it ralph!

I enjoy reading all your reviews. Keep up the great work!

Greetings,

Thanks! I will post back once it has arrived..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #108 of 482 Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks! I will post back once it has arrived..

Regards,

Looking forward in reading your review Ralph.

Frank

post #109 of 482 Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 AM

It would be nice if you could ask the webmaster (or whomever) if it could be arranged for your most recent reviews to be listed at the top of the page. Unless I'm missing something, there's the archive listing that's alphabetical, and the general review page that has the sticky section at the top, and beneath it a section that seems very random. Looking at the various titles, it's hard to believe that they represent even the most recently viewed.

Alphabetical is a very good way to display an archive, but for recent reviews, the review itself is sometimes my first exposure, leading me to seek out a particular title. In that regard, alphabetical is of little use.

Something on the order of another section at the top, about the same size as the sticky section, listing only the most recent reviews, which at some point would drop down into the general review section.
post #110 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I was just informed that due to limited availability I will not be receiving this disc for review. Sorry..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #111 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

I was just informed that due to limited availability I will not be receiving this disc for review. Sorry..

Regards,

Limited availability? If this movie wasn't one of the summers biggest blockbusters then i can understand it being limited but hard to imagine this is limited.

In any case this is definitely a collect for me. Just hope i don't get disappointed in the A/V dept.
post #112 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Limited availability? If this movie wasn't one of the summers biggest blockbusters then i can understand it being limited but hard to imagine this is limited.

In any case this is definitely a collect for me. Just hope i don't get disappointed in the A/V dept.

Greetings,

James, the limitation is for review product availability. I am sure that consumer product availbility will be fine.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #113 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

James, the limitation is for review product availability. I am sure that consumer product availbility will be fine.

Regards,

Hey Ralph,

Is there a difference between review product and the consumer ones? I would assume they're the same but maybe not since it's for review only?

Cheers
post #114 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm not Ralph, but I'll explain the rationale. The major Hollywood studios are in very dire straights right now. They're heavily tied to Wall Street financing their films and that money source has tightened-up and is virtually non-existent. So the "Cash Flow Machine" that has had an open spigot is now closed.

For those who don't understand, cash flow is the lifeblood of business. When it's limited (as it is right now for virtually all businesses), it inhibits growth opportunities. The studios have limited short-term funds to finance "new" projects, so in order to get their financial house in order, all budgets have been cut, particularly the PR budgets--hence, limited copies for review. In the past, the studios have sent out hundreds and hundreds of copies of movies to all forms of media--print, TV, radio, and online. Now they are having to select the "best" outlet for their films.

This is where common sense takes over. Do you think another poor review of "Transformers 2" will stop people from buying the disc? Probably not...it's a review proof movie as you could see by the box office success (19% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes) Regardless if it has great A/V or not, people are going to buy it. All a bad A/V review would do is stop some enthusiasts from purchasing the film, but J6P (Joe Six Pack) will buy it anyway...just look at the sales of "Wolverine," which wasn't a very good movie either.

Sorry for the long explanation...but I won't be reviewing it either. Here's a great article from the LA Times explaining the "horror" situation in Hollywood: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,702751.story

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #115 of 482 Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm not Ralph, but I'll explain the rationale. The major Hollywood studios are in very dire straights right now. They're heavily tied to Wall Street financing their films and that money source has tightened-up and is virtually non-existent. So the "Cash Flow Machine" that has had an open spigot is now closed.

For those who don't understand, cash flow is the lifeblood of business. When it's limited (as it is right now for virtually all businesses), it inhibits growth opportunities. The studios have limited short-term funds to finance "new" projects, so in order to get their financial house in order, all budgets have been cut, particularly the PR budgets--hence, limited copies for review. In the past, the studios have sent out hundreds and hundreds of copies of movies to all forms of media--print, TV, radio, and online. Now they are having to select the "best" outlet for their films.

This is where common sense takes over. Do you think another poor review of "Transformers 2" will stop people from buying the disc? Probably not...it's a review proof movie as you could see by the box office success (19% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes) Regardless if it has great A/V or not, people are going to buy it. All a bad A/V review would do is stop some enthusiasts from purchasing the film, but J6P (Joe Six Pack) will buy it anyway...just look at the sales of "Wolverine," which wasn't a very good movie either.

Sorry for the long explanation...but I won't be reviewing it either. Here's a great article from the LA Times explaining the "horror" situation in Hollywood: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,702751.story

Greetings,

Thanks Dave, I couldn't have summed it up better. James to answer your last question, the answer is that review and consumer copies are generally identical.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #116 of 482 Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave and Ralph,

Thanks for the insight and good information guys.
post #117 of 482 Old 10-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Ralph,

Thanks for all of the great work!

One thing I would like to see in the reviews is your opinion (when you have one) of whether the Blu-Ray release is a significant enough upgrade from a DVD release to justify the purchase when somebody already owns the DVD.

For example I know the Pixar films all receive excellent ratings with regards to their picture quality but the DVD releases were all solid too. Given a finite amount of money, is it worth it to upgrade? (right now I'm not asking specifically but more suggesting this type of info as valuable in future reviews).
post #118 of 482 Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another schmo View Post

Ralph,

Thanks for all of the great work!

One thing I would like to see in the reviews is your opinion (when you have one) of whether the Blu-Ray release is a significant enough upgrade from a DVD release to justify the purchase when somebody already owns the DVD.

For example I know the Pixar films all receive excellent ratings with regards to their picture quality but the DVD releases were all solid too. Given a finite amount of money, is it worth it to upgrade? (right now I'm not asking specifically but more suggesting this type of info as valuable in future reviews).

Greetings,

Thanks for your comments.

I already include that information in most cases where I own or have seen the DVD release of a Blu-ray Disc that I am reviewing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #119 of 482 Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM

I guess I haven't been reading the right reviews or I'm having speed-reading issues again.

Sorry.
post #120 of 482 Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another schmo View Post

I guess I haven't been reading the right reviews or I'm having speed-reading issues again.

Sorry.

Greetings,

Not at all. Remember I can only offer comparisons on those discs that I am reviewing that I have previously seen/own on DVD. Of the hundreds of reviews I have written this ony represents a small percentage.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Futurama by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page