Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 482 Old 04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph or Lee,

Any upcoming review for The Jackal and/or It's Complicated?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 482 Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good day Ralph, my second post in the BD review section(first post was in wrong section). Just like to say that I enjoy your reviews, very informative. I am picky when it comes to making a BD purchase for my library. Your reviews really come in handy when deciding whether to rent or purchase. However, one set that I will purchase is Band of Brothers. I know it's a long series, but I am just wondering if you are going to review this set. Thanks, JoeB
post #183 of 482 Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Good day Ralph, my second post in the BD review section(first post was in wrong section). Just like to say that I enjoy your reviews, very informative. I am picky when it comes to making a BD purchase for my library. Your reviews really come in handy when deciding whether to rent or purchase. However, one set that I will purchase is Band of Brothers. I know it's a long series, but I am just wondering if you are going to review this set. Thanks, JoeB

Greetings,

Thanks for your query Joe.

I don't plan on covering Band of Brothers at this time but if the opportunity presents itself I very well may.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 482 Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Warner Bros. is releasing Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes on June 1. This will be a definite purchase for me, as I rate Where Eagles Dare as one of the greatest war flicks ever made. I am not as interested in Kelly's Heroes, but for $20-30 price range, it's a steal.
post #185 of 482 Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

Warner Bros. is releasing Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes on June 1. This will be a definite purchase for me, as I rate Where Eagles Dare as one of the greatest war flicks ever made. I am not as interested in Kelly's Heroes, but for $20-30 price range, it's a steal.

JoeB,
I agree, I LOVE W.E.D., dad took me to the drive-in when it came out...i took my g.i.Joe with me (LOL)...I still have the dvd. I do like Kelly's Heroe's so that'll be in there as well for me.

Band-Of-Broothers: This is my FAVORITE single item of my collection, favorite war related film/series...and the picture is simply Razor-Sharp detail, great resolution...the dtshd sound is agressive...you will love it. Color palet is styled and muted somewhat like Saving Private Ryan.

Buy this NOW!

HINT: check out German made "Stalingrad" for a grizzley, accurate and graphic war film...early 90's foreign release...hardcore!

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #186 of 482 Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

JoeB,
I agree, I LOVE W.E.D., dad took me to the drive-in when it came out...i took my g.i.Joe with me (LOL)...I still have the dvd. I do like Kelly's Heroe's so that'll be in there as well for me.

Band-Of-Broothers: This is my FAVORITE single item of my collection, favorite war related film/series...and the picture is simply Razor-Sharp detail, great resolution...the dtshd sound is agressive...you will love it. Color palet is styled and muted somewhat like Saving Private Ryan.

Buy this NOW!

HINT: check out German made "Stalingrad" for a grizzley, accurate and graphic war film...early 90's foreign release...hardcore!

Thanks Bladerunner, I am getting Band of Brothers for sure. As I will be making this purchase on Amazon, I will also check out Stalingrad. I am familiar with the history of the battle and have no doubt it was hardcore. Hopefully Warner has done a good job with W.E.D.!
post #187 of 482 Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bladerunner, I am getting Band of Brothers for sure. As I will be making this purchase on Amazon, I will also check out Stalingrad. I am familiar with the history of the battle and have no doubt it was hardcore. Hopefully Warner has done a good job with W.E.D.!

JoeB,
On the same topic...the bluray of "A Bridge too Far" is a nice blu disk of what I think is 1 of theee best WWII films ever. My guess is a Ralph review would put video in 80 ish and sound in mid 80's but it is a solid step up from the dvd. "Battle of Britain" on blu is sweet as well

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #188 of 482 Old 05-14-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

JoeB,
On the same topic...the bluray of "A Bridge too Far" is a nice blu disk of what I think is 1 of theee best WWII films ever. My guess is a Ralph review would put video in 80 ish and sound in mid 80's but it is a solid step up from the dvd. "Battle of Britain" on blu is sweet as well

Greetings,

BR1959, I reviewed A bridge too far a few years back. Your estimates for my A/V ratings are a little high.

My review

Actually I wish I still had it because I have only have limited recollection of its presentation.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #189 of 482 Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

BR1959, I reviewed A bridge too far a few years back. Your estimates for my A/V ratings are a little high.

My review

Actually I wish I still had it because I have only have limited recollection of its presentation.

Regards,

Ralph, excellent "total recall"...thank you. I was a bit optomistic wasnt I??? LOL.. That said, after revisiting your review, you are pretty much dead on as always. I cut it more slack due to me being blinded and deafened to it's mastering because of my love of that movie and story. It's another movie I'd own in every new/better format. I am actually midway thru the book as I type this. Reading "Band of Bro's" next. Thanks again for your excellent work and dedication to this forum. Your "stuff" is one of the few things on the internet I regulary visit and read.

post #190 of 482 Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph, excellent "total recall"...thank you. I was a bit optomistic wasnt I??? LOL.. That said, after revisiting your review, you are pretty much dead on as always. I cut it more slack due to me being blinded and deafened to it's mastering because of my love of that movie and story. It's another movie I'd own in every new/better format. I am actually midway thru the book as I type this. Reading "Band of Bro's" next. Thanks again for your excellent work and dedication to this forum. Your "stuff" is one of the few things on the internet I regulary visit and read.

Greetings,

Enjoy your reading BR1959 and thanks for the support.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #191 of 482 Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM

Hi all!

Any recommendations on a Blu-Ray based CALIBRATION DISC for my plasma TV???

Thanks!

Don't die wondering...
post #192 of 482 Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacv75 View Post

Hi all!

Any recommendations on a Blu-Ray based CALIBRATION DISC for my plasma TV???

Thanks!

Greetings,

I use several but the Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc is the one I reach for most often.

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-...4203139&sr=8-1

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #193 of 482 Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

I use several but the Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc is the one I reach for most often.

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-...4203139&sr=8-1

Regards,

Thank you! Just ordered it!

Don't die wondering...
post #194 of 482 Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Its been awhile since ive seen a really good scary movie!! Anyone have any suggestions??
post #195 of 482 Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton1158 View Post

Its been awhile since ive seen a really good scary movie!! Anyone have any suggestions??

Greetings,

That depends. What scares you?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #196 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a concrete clue as to when "Lawrence of Arabia" is really going to come out on Bluray? It's my favorite movie of my 1st 25 years....

post #197 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hey Ralph, I posted this in another thread, this thread may actually be the right on, not sure. Anyway, have you heard of this problem with Apollo 13 on bluray:

Would love to see a review by Ralph on the new Apollo 13 bluray, as customer reviews on Amazon are bad with many saying it takes forever for it to load up, some saying it wont load on their machines at all, some saying it wont load if you are NOT connected to the internet, and some saying it loads better if you are NOT connected to the internet due to an incredible number of ads and other things coming over from the net. Overall though, a lot of negative stuff about whether or not the menu and previews work at all. I would love to see Ralph take this on and give us the true story. Right now I am afraid to buy it.

never take life seriously
post #198 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Hey Ralph, I posted this in another thread, this thread may actually be the right on, not sure. Anyway, have you heard of this problem with Apollo 13 on bluray:

Would love to see a review by Ralph on the new Apollo 13 bluray, as customer reviews on Amazon are bad with many saying it takes forever for it to load up, some saying it wont load on their machines at all, some saying it wont load if you are NOT connected to the internet, and some saying it loads better if you are NOT connected to the internet due to an incredible number of ads and other things coming over from the net. Overall though, a lot of negative stuff about whether or not the menu and previews work at all. I would love to see Ralph take this on and give us the true story. Right now I am afraid to buy it.

Universal's latest batch of discs are streaming trailers from the Internet and do take a lot longer to load. I've personally have turned BD Live off in my main player (Oppo BDP-83) and the discs loads much faster this way.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #199 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Universal's latest batch of discs are streaming trailers from the Internet and do take a lot longer to load. I've personally have turned BD Live off in my main player (Oppo BDP-83) and the discs loads much faster this way.

Thanks Dave, you know, i have seen a few people complain about Universal and their latest blurays. Some have gone so far as to say they wont buy any. As for me, i dont have my bluray connected to the net, (its a Panny BD-35), so maybe that will work in my favor i hope, although a few people said they couldnt get Apollo 13 to work without an internet connection, but i cant believe that, i think they just didnt wait long enough.

never take life seriously
post #200 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Does anyone have a concrete clue as to wheny going to "Lawrence of Arabia" really going to come out on Bluray? It's my favorite movie of my 1st 25 years....

Greetings,

Haven't seen any official annoucement yet. Fingers crossed that it will be soon though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #201 of 482 Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Greetings,

I have heard about the problem but don't currently have the disc to try it. I have had similar problems as Dave describes with some Paramount discs for the same reason (streaming trailers). Keeping BD-Live turned off from troublesome discs solves the issue but the root of the problem needs to be explored.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #202 of 482 Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Good day all, just wondering if anyone will be doing a review of the Where Eagles Dare/Kelly's Heroes combo? Lookint to make the purchase, but am wondering about the transfer, and if it's worth getting the BD...
post #203 of 482 Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good day all, just wondering if anyone will be doing a review of the Where Eagles Dare/Kelly's Heroes combo? Lookint to make the purchase, but am wondering about the transfer, and if it's worth getting the BD...

Hey Joe,
I'll most likely buy the combo if/when price is very reasonable. My dvd's of both are nice transfers for their age but...the cost was so reasonable that the upgrade to blu is justifyable as long as the price is not stupid! I'm such a WWII freak that I want those in blu as long as it makes sense.

post #204 of 482 Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Everbody!

I just bought a Blu Ray copy of "Alice in Wonderland" and I'm having audio problems. I have an LG BH200 dual format player despite the latest firmware I keep losing my audio. Has anyone experienced this with their copy?
post #205 of 482 Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Hi Everbody!

I just bought a Blu Ray copy of "Alice in Wonderland" and I'm having audio problems. I have an LG BH200 dual format player despite the latest firmware I keep losing my audio. Has anyone experienced this with their copy?

Not here. I use a Sony s550 (3rd FW) and it was flawless. Sorry to hear of your issues. My player has only been tripped up by 3 Netflix only disks in the last 18 months.

post #206 of 482 Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Hi Everbody!

I watched it threw my Sony BDPs550 and my Pioneer BDP320 with no issues. It must be your BDP or possibly your disc but not likely .

My current HT
post #207 of 482 Old 08-07-2010, 03:00 AM

Hi there Ralph!
I must say i really enjoy reading your reviews before buying, but there is one im missing/looking out for, it's the 3D Blu-ray IMAX "Grand Canyon river at risk" are you planning a review or is there one that i missed?

and
post #208 of 482 Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinskoog View Post

Hi there Ralph!
I must say i really enjoy reading your reviews before buying, but there is one im missing/looking out for, it's the 3D Blu-ray IMAX "Grand Canyon river at risk" are you planning a review or is there one that i missed?

Greetings,

It hasn't come my way. If it does I will post back..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #209 of 482 Old 08-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Greetings,

It hasn't come my way. If it does I will post back..

Regards,

Thank's Eagerly awating...

and
post #210 of 482 Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any chance of a review for "Kick-Ass" and "The Ghost Writer"?
These were by far the best blu-ray movie releases for this week, IMO.

Jeffrey

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Futurama by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page