Studio and Year: Disney - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 91 Minutes
Genre: Family/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Uncompressed 5.1 PCM, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Piper Perabo, Manolo Cardona, Jaime Lee Curtis, vocal talents of: George Lopez, Drew Barrymore, Andy Garcia, Luis Guzman, Edward James Olmos
Directed by: Raja Gosnell
Music by: Heitor Pereira
Written by: Analisa LoBianco & Jeff Bushnell
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 3, 2009

"I Chihuahua…"

Film Synopsis:

Get ready for a hilarious fun-filled adventure starring Chloe (voiced by Drew Barrymore), a diamond-clad ultra-pampered Beverly Hills Chihuahua who gets lost while on vacation in Mexico. Papi (voiced by George Lopez), an amusing Chihuahua who's crazy about Chloe, springs into action and heads south of the border to rescue her, while Chloe gets help from Delgado (voiced by Andy Garcia), her newfound friend and self-appointed protector. Beverly Hills Chihuahua from Walt Disney Pictures is a heartwarming and outrageously funny tale proving once again that good things do come in small packages. It's a real treat for the whole family.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134990&d=1235761063

Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a cute and cuddly movie that hits all the formulaic highlights that make these types of films appealing. The story is elementary which strikes the appropriate chord for young viewers. On the other hand there is enough clever dialogue and thematic situations so that adults can partake in the fun also. Dog lovers get the best of both worlds. There are pooches of all sizes and shapes that get plenty of face time. The CGI work that enables them to speak and have expressive features is really quite good. This adds a subtle air of authenticity to the characters that sort of allows you to forget that they are animals and become more involved in the story. The cast that lends their voices to the dogs is filled with well known actors and I always enjoy trying to figure out who is playing what part. Funny men like George Lopez, Cheech Marin, and Paul Rodriguez keep things light while Edward James Olmos, Placido Domingo, and Andy Garcia lend strength to their characters. Drew Barrymore has a special place in my heart. I always find her appealing and this case was no different. I like feel good movies and when all is well that ends well that is just fine with me. Chloe, Delgado, Papi and the gang hit some rough patches but manage to persevere. That gives nothing away really (after all this is Disney) but the fun is watching them interact as it things out over the course of film. I thought that the script, pacing and direction were right on the money which makes this an easy watch for parents as well as enjoyable for the little ones.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mild thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=134992&d=1235761063

Beverly Hills Chihuahua comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 mbps.

This is reference quality video presentation from Disney that simply looks stunning. Images are impeccably detailed with enriching transparency and three dimensional depth that seems to reach as far as the eye can see. Fine rendering is as good as I have seen from any Blu-ray disc. Close ups of the animals looked extraordinary as varying degrees in the texture of their fur coats was easily discernible. The extensive palette of colors, are vibrant, deeply saturated and visually stimulating. Primary colors are particularly striking which made the lush, gradational greens of the vegetation covered landscapes, and various blues and reds really pop. If I had one nit to pick it would be that fleshtones are a golden bronze that gave them a sun burnt tonality that didn’t seem to vary from person to person. It didn’t make them unnatural looking and considering the fact that the animals were the main focus it didn’t warrant a deduction in my opinion. Blacks are deep and rich, with extended dynamic range that gives them incredible visual depth. Contrast is strong which seemed to energize colors and bright sequences without compromise to fidelity. Shadow delineation is equally impressive which provided a near infinite level of depth perception to dark backgrounds and low lit scenes. A great example of this is during the wide angle long range nighttime shot of the Chihuahua infested Aztec pyramid valley. Even in the low level lighting I could easily make out the various shapes and texture of the stones in the pyramid at the far end of the compound. Of course resolution this good made some of the CGI effects such as the encounter with the mountain lions and Manual the mouse look a little cheesy but that’s a small price to pay okay for image quality that is this good. Disney continues to set the bar with superb, high quality video on their day and date Blu-ray Disc releases.

The lossless uncompressed PCM soundtrack was the highest quality option available and while it didn’t live up to the video it presented the source elements with aplomb. The quality of the dialogue was unwavering as voices sound crisp and tonally balanced. Dynamic range was very good which lent subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is readily conveyed by the front channels. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. The sequence in the finale when Chloe finds her “bark” is one example and another is at the conclusion of the run in with mountain lions as the “sandstorm” approaches. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but it handily delivers a satisfying experience that didn’t leave me in any was disappointed. Kudos to Disney on a fine job with this presentation.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Legend of the Chihuahua – 3 minute animated feature

• (HD) Pet pals: The voices behind the dogs – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Hitting their bark: On set with the dogs of Beverly Hills Chihuahua

• (HD) 10 deleted scenes with director introduction – 24 minutes

• (HD) Blooper scooper – 3 minutes

• Audio commentary by Director Raja Gosnell

• Disney BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=134991&d=1235761063

Final Thoughts:

Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a fun family film from Disney that can be enjoyed by both parents and kids alike. It doesn’t bring anything new to the table but that’s okay because it uses a formula that works. Disney brings it to Blu-ray featuring captivating high definition video quality that will look stunning no matter how large your display is. It offers very good lossless sound and fun bonus supplements that provide a behind the scenes peek at the production. This one is worth a rental on family video night so enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have one of these little things that I jokingly call my "rat dog"... Not very manly but I am looking forward to seeing it. Mine is a charecter and a half so I have a soft spot for these little dogs I never thought in a million years that I would have ha...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
wow 100 for video, i have to watch this

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I thought the encode looked fantastic, but colors are a tad oversaturated and I only rated it 9/10. But using Ralph's scoring, it would have come out to 98/100!

Also, Piper looks amazing...man she is HOT!!!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I thought the encode looked fantastic, but colors are a tad oversaturated and I only rated it 9/10. But using Ralph's scoring, it would have come out to 98/100!

Also, Piper looks amazing...man she is HOT!!!

Greetings,

I considered that Dave, but it didn't seem overstated to the point where it degraded the overall balance of the presentation's elements. As a package it really looked great...

BTW - I agree that Piper looked pretty spectacular in high definition.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph,

I agree, I could have gone either way, but in this case I guess I'm the tougher grader

The scenes in Mexico look amazing, especially the nighttime shots.

David Vaughn

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wasn't planning on being eager to see this one, but if the picture quality is that good it will move close to the top of my queue.

Dan
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Wasn't planning on being eager to see this one, but if the picture quality is that good it will move close to the top of my queue.

Dan

If you like dogs and have kids, it's worth the rental. My wife and I laughed as much as the kids did!

David Vaughn

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
My wife and I have this movie in our Netflix queue. Since we're dog lovers and the owner of a spoiled golden retriever, we can't wait to see this movie.

As for my golden retriever, she will have to remain in the bedroom during the moive. There's no way I'll let her lick my new Samsung LN52A650 TV.

Randy
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Ralph,

Thanks Ralph for another excellent review. Once again I concur with you on your video analysis. Here is what I wrote on the PQ thread last night after viewing it:

I feel constrained to elaborate on the virtues of this worthy Tier 0 contender, but before I do allow me to expose the few MINOR flaws that I detected. In the first 10 minutes I saw, on two brief occasions, some digital noise on the skin of Jamie Curtis' niece. I also thought that the colors were a wee bit oversaturated at times. And finally, there was one short shot in a desert scene which lacked the detail that absolutely dominated the rest of the film. So there, these are my only criticisms, which one can EASILY overlook when compared with the other 98% of the movie.

Now for the VIRTUES:

1) Colors....Rich, warm and vibrant! The backyards of Beverly Hills (with exquisite flower gardens and lush lawns) are a feast for the eyes...true EYE CANDY, my fellow AVS members! When the scenes turn to Mexico, whether on the beaches or in Mexico City, we are treated to the beautiful color palette that Mexico is known for (and I speak with some authority having vacationed there several times).

2) Blacks & Shadow Detail....Strong and impressive! The daytimes scenes are literally filled with inky, inky, blacks....and the night scenes, which number a good half dozen, also reveal rich blacks and some of the most impressive shadow detail I have ever seen, bar none. (I am NOT exaggerating here one iota!)

3) Contrast....Equally strong! There is a nice balance of blacks and whites throughout and again it is pure EYE CANDY.

4) Depth....I won't say, as some professional reviewers have, that 3D pop carries every scene, but there were some shots that were jaw-dropping.

5) Detail....I purposely left this for last, because IMHO this is the greatest virtue of all. Except for the desert scene I alluded to in the 2nd paragraph, the detail was simply amazing in EVERY scene. I'm not resorting to hyperbole when I say that outdoor scenes (backyards of Beverly Hills, city streets of Mexico City, Aztec pyramid ruins of northern Mexico, etc.) rivaled those of Baraka. Facial close-ups ("canine," that is) betray every whisker and color gradation. Indoor scenes in homes and hotels reward us with the same.

Well, I hope I'm not guilty of exaggeration or too much hype, but again, if this title isn't worthy of Tier Blu, nothing is. (End of Quote)

Denny

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Ralph,

Thanks Ralph for another excellent review. Once again I concur with you on your video analysis. Here is what I wrote on the PQ thread last night after viewing it:

I feel constrained to elaborate on the virtues of this worthy Tier 0 contender, but before I do allow me to expose the few MINOR flaws that I detected. In the first 10 minutes I saw, on two brief occasions, some digital noise on the skin of Jamie Curtis' niece. I also thought that the colors were a wee bit oversaturated at times. And finally, there was one short shot in a desert scene which lacked the detail that absolutely dominated the rest of the film. So there, these are my only criticisms, which one can EASILY overlook when compared with the other 98% of the movie.

Now for the VIRTUES:

1) Colors....Rich, warm and vibrant! The backyards of Beverly Hills (with exquisite flower gardens and lush lawns) are a feast for the eyes...true EYE CANDY, my fellow AVS members! When the scenes turn to Mexico, whether on the beaches or in Mexico City, we are treated to the beautiful color palette that Mexico is known for (and I speak with some authority having vacationed there several times).

2) Blacks & Shadow Detail....Strong and impressive! The daytimes scenes are literally filled with inky, inky, blacks....and the night scenes, which number a good half dozen, also reveal rich blacks and some of the most impressive shadow detail I have ever seen, bar none. (I am NOT exaggerating here one iota!)

3) Contrast....Equally strong! There is a nice balance of blacks and whites throughout and again it is pure EYE CANDY.

4) Depth....I won't say, as some professional reviewers have, that 3D pop carries every scene, but there were some shots that were jaw-dropping.

5) Detail....I purposely left this for last, because IMHO this is the greatest virtue of all. Except for the desert scene I alluded to in the 2nd paragraph, the detail was simply amazing in EVERY scene. I'm not resorting to hyperbole when I say that outdoor scenes (backyards of Beverly Hills, city streets of Mexico City, Aztec pyramid ruins of northern Mexico, etc.) rivaled those of Baraka. Facial close-ups ("canine," that is) betray every whisker and color gradation. Indoor scenes in homes and hotels reward us with the same.

Well, I hope I'm not guilty of exaggeration or too much hype, but again, if this title isn't worthy of Tier Blu, nothing is. (End of Quote)

Denny

Greetings,

Thanks for posting your impressions Denny. Obviously I couldn't agree more..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A good review again,I love dogs,pug is my favourite.I picked this one already,Thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM

I love chihuahua's...lol..plus my daughter is killing me to get this one.

[IMG]http://z09a0222gshv273.imageshacknow.info/img/3044************************[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 AM

I really liked the PQ of this film, and my wife loved it.

Our chihuahua (Trigger) sat up and watched most of the movie, which is odd because usually he only watches movies with gunfights and he loves on screen choppers.

I can babysit that dog for two hours with Black Hawk Down.