Feature running time: 113 Minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Anne Hathaway, Rosemarie Dewitt, Bill Irwin, Tunde Adebimpe, Anisa George, Debra Winder
Directed by: Jonathan Demme
Music by: Zafer Tawil
Written by: Jenny Lumet
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 10, 2009

"Who is to blame?"

Film Synopsis:

When Kym (Anne Hathaway - Golden Globe Nominee, Best Actress, Motion Picture (Drama)), returns to the Buchman family home for the wedding of her sister Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt), she brings a long history of personal crises, family conflict and tragedy along with her. The wedding couple's abundant party of friends and family has gathered for a joyful weekend of feasting, music and love, but Kym - with her biting one-liners and flair for bombshell drama - is a catalyst for long-simmering tensions in the family dynamic. Filled with the rich and eclectic characters that remain a hallmark of Jonathan Demme's films, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED paints a heartfelt, perceptive and sometimes hilarious family portrait.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=135489&d=1236115372

Rachel getting married is a film that depicts the trials, tribulations, and heartbreak that can often effect families. While the degree to which is does can vary there is no mistaking the truth that this film portrays. Rachel (Dewitt) is marrying Sidney, and the wedding is being held at her father's house. They seem a bit mismatched but appear to be very much in love. Kym (Hathaway), Rachel's sister, is in the wedding party, and is a recovering drug addict. It clear right from the beginning that Kym is the problem child and resident drama queen. Their parents Paul (Irwin) and Abby (Winger) have divorced and remarried which is something that is not an issue in this story. Paul appears to try very hard to please everyone and especially treats Kym with kid gloves. This is something that Rachel has become accustomed to but clearly resents. Kym has just completed a stint in rehab and is picked up be her father and brought over to the house. The wedding is planned for the next day and everyone is busy preparing. Kym immediately goes to work on Rachel after she learns that Emma (a longtime friend) is the maid of honor and not her. The little snit that she flies into provides a basis for what she is capable of. She gives a speech later on at the rehearsal dinner that culminates in a rather awkward apology to Rachel that leaves everyone present feeling pretty uncomfortable. The last integral piece of the pie is an underlying issue between Kym and Abby that goes unexplained until later when it erupts in the film's best scene. The ending, as in real life, didn't tie up every loose end or resolve every issue. It left feeling abrupt, but perfectly satisfying for these characters, which seemed just so apropos. I enjoyed the performances by the talented cast as Director Demme carefully guides the story so that we can truly get a feel for the characters. I felt that several scenes played out a bit too long and detailed but that is just Demme's style. Hathaway's Academy Award nomination was justly deserved. I have never seen her work to the depth that she did in this role. I also thought that Rosemarie DeWitt gave a strong performance that was worthy of note. Winger is of course phenomenal and that scene with Hathaway stayed with me after the film was over. This movie probably isn't destined to become a classic but it tells an interpersonal story about seemingly real people that strikes a chord. I thought it was worth watching and very good.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=135488&d=1236115372

Rachel getting married comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.6 mbps.

This video presentation offered pristine image quality with plenty of high level detail and crisp resolution. Colors aren't overly bright and the majority of the film maintains a bit of a dreary aesthetic that suits the tone of the source material. The clothing worn by the members of the wedding party and guests were made up of variety of colors that looked appreciably vivid and departed nicely from the rest of the film's appearance. Fleshtones were tonally sullen with natural highlights that allowed them to retain lifelike quality. Blacks were respectable but not especially strong and shadow delineation was excellent. Contrast was bold without overstatement which produced dynamic whites and deep primary colors. This disc represents another solid video encoding from Sony that looked great.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD multi-channel sound quality was also quite good. Dynamics were defining without being strident or edgy. Dialogue was rendered with deep clarity and tonal character that had above average room penetration. The front soundstage was diffused with excellent separation and well articulated detail. The presentation didn't offer much in the way of discrete surround sound however spatial dimension was occasionally detectable as environmental sounds and front channel extension through the rear channels opened up the sound field. Bass response wasn't room filling but it appropriately supported the source elements and provided a tight, occasionally tactile low end.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Producer Neda Armian, Screenwriter Jenny Lumet, and Editor Tim Squyres

• Commentary with Actress Rosemarie Dewitt

• Featurettes:

1. The wedding band - 7 minutes
    2. A look behind the scenes of Rachel getting married - 15 minutes
    3. Cast and crew Q&A at Jacob Burns Center, Pleasantville NY - 49 minutes

• 9 deleted scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=135490&d=1236115372

Final Thoughts:

Rachel getting married is a portrait of a single family that like many has their share of issues. In their case the pain for some runs deep and the wounds may never heal but sometimes that is the way life can be. That coupled along with the superb performances by the cast is what makes this an engaging film to watch. Here is another solid high definition video release that shows Sony's strong commitment to the Blu-ray disc format. The inclusion of lossless audio and a decent bonus feature set make this an easy purchase recommendation for fans. At a minimum those who enjoy genre films like this should rent it because in my humble opinion it will be time well spent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're looking for a combination of a good drama and comedy, this if definitely one of the films to see. Saw this in theatres and thought Anne's acting was great.

The story was pretty good too imo.

Definitely a collectors item. My copy should be on it's way once it gets released.

Thanks again for the review Ralph.

Cheers,
James
post #3 of 20 Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I liked the movie....but the "toasting" scene, and the "dancing" scene needed to be cut WAY down. They nearly ruin the movie
post #4 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is one of my lists.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be picking this up on a sale for sure.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

I liked the movie....but the "toasting" scene, and the "dancing" scene needed to be cut WAY down. They nearly ruin the movie

I totally agree with you...those were very long scenes that didn't do to much for the movie..
post #7 of 20 Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I wanted to watch this Blu-Ray, but the amateurish shaking the camera directorial technique made me nauseous and after several aspirin for the headache, turned it off.

Too bad this is not mentioned in the initial review, for I would have never rented it.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

I wanted to watch this Blu-Ray, but the amateurish shaking the camera directorial technique made me nauseous and after several aspirin for the headache, turned it off.

Too bad this is not mentioned in the initial review, for I would have never rented it.

I agree. I made a blind purchase. I thought my wife would like this one and with Anne Hathaway nominated for best actrees I figured it would be worth the buy.

Man I was wrong about that. This movie was not very good IMO.

The toasting scene was WAY too long. The dancing scene, not much better.

Also, after watching it, I didn't think her performance was in anyway near Oscar caliber.

Sorry.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

If you're looking for a combination of a good drama and comedy, this if definitely one of the films to see. Saw this in theatres and thought Anne's acting was great.

The story was pretty good too imo.

Definitely a collectors item. My copy should be on it's way once it gets released.

Thanks again for the review Ralph.

Cheers,
James[IMG]http://www.***************/img/io/iy.gif[/IMG]

Absolutely, good mix of both drama and comedy, when I say comedy, this seemed like good/clean comedy.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Ironic, that you bring this up. It did ruin it for my wife and I, we couldn't take it any more and turned it off. From what I've read here, if we could have gotten past this "torture", we may have found a somewhat enjoyable movie.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #11 of 20 Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Sometimes in life, things happen to us that are, for the most part, out of our control. Other times, things happen to us in life because we're morons and we just never learn. Many films in the drama genre are based on circumstances that all into the first category. But there are other films that center on the "manufactured drama" that can just be infuriating and nauseating to observe, and that's what this film was all about.

That being said, this movie made me want to take a taser to my crotch. I guess that means the acting was very good if it had that effect on me, but this is not the sort of film that I care to spend time with.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Sometimes in life, things happen to us that are, for the most part, out of our control. Other times, things happen to us in life because we're morons and we just never learn. Many films in the drama genre are based on circumstances that all into the first category. But there are other films that center on the "manufactured drama" that can just be infuriating and nauseating to observe, and that's what this film was all about.

That being said, this movie made me want to take a taser to my crotch. I guess that means the acting was very good if it had that effect on me, but this is not the sort of film that I care to spend time with.

ROFL! With those statements, I now don't see the need to revisit this movie. Thanks!

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #13 of 20 Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

lol, I had some pretty strong reactions to this film....
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Ralph,

I agree with your review. Really liked this film! Ann Hathaway was great.

Swanny is the host of "The Home Theater Show" from Studio City California
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny1 View Post

Ralph,

I agree with your review. Really liked this film! Ann Hathaway was great.

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #16 of 20 Old 05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This movie is a unique drama surrounded by a cool wedding, and the cinematography is organic and wonderful. The viewer may get the feeling that they are viewing almost everything the character would. I disagree about the shakey camera ... its used very subtley and too excellent affect.

And the acting is pretty much breathtaking. Major and minor characters are fully fleshed out in rare detail, that you just don't see on this scale. Then theres all these incidental characters that the viewer observes, in some detail.

Oh and the Music!

The music in this movie is (often) performed by people in the scene, yet its not a musical. Its simply a musical family and a very musical wedding. You may see an electric guitarist practicing playing the wedding march in full hendrix distortion. Then it may switch to a saxaphonist tuning up beautifully. Yet the movie is not about music, musicians just permeat it.
Yet the viewer is never forced to enjoy a musical scene just for the music.

The movie is long and meandering, I can see why people complain about the length of some scenes, but its obvious that this director was not concerned with pacing that might ruin its organic core.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Watched the rental with my wife last night. Funny that the synopsis includes the word 'hilarious' because it's anything but. This is probably the most depressing movie I've seen since Requiem For A Dream (2000) and that's saying something. Both 'Requiem' and 'Rachel' may be filled with great acting but the end result is a painful concoction to watch. Demme's 'run and gun' cinematography used to convey the 'you are there' feeling is unwelcome and though this style of filming may work in the Bourne movies it doesn't here. "Just sit the camera down and focus - please!" was the thought that ran through my mind during the movie. The rehearsal dinner and the wedding/party were two events that ran way too long and were like that dreaded wedding you were forced to attend and couldn't wait to leave. And the movie featured some of the most irritating music heard in a motion picture, so in the scene where the musicians were asked to stop playing I said AMEN! The ending when it came was brief and pointless which left me wondering why someone felt this movie needed to made.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #18 of 20 Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

lol, I had some pretty strong reactions to this film....[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Hm what do you mean? very nice review Ralph going to check this one out soon enough.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

Hm what do you mean? very nice review Ralph going to check this one out soon enough.

Hope you like this one more than some of us did!
post #20 of 20 Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

And the movie featured some of the most irritating music heard in a motion picture, so in the scene where the musicians were asked to stop playing I said AMEN!

I wanted to whack that hippy with his instrument too after he played with it incessantly thruout the whole movie.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page