Feature running time: 115 Minutes
Genre: Horror/Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Swedish DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Kare Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson, Peter Carlberg, Ika Nord, Henrik Dahl
Directed by: Tomas Alfredson
Music by: Johan Soderqvist
Written by: John Ajvide Lindqvist
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 10, 2009

"To flee is life, to linger, death"

Film Synopsis:

Lonely, 12 year old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates. A new friendship develops when Eli - a pale, serious young girl who only comes out at night moves in next door. Coinciding with her arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders. As Oskar becomes more aware of Eli's tragic plight, he cannot forsake her. However, Eli knows that to continue living, she must keep relocating. But when Oskar faces his darkest hour, Eli returns to defend him the only way she can....

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=135910&d=1236470605

Let the right one in is based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist who also wrote the film's screenplay. The story takes place in 1982 Sweden and opens with Oskar who is a 12 year old loner type who lives with his mother in a modest apartment. His parents are divorced and he sees his father on occasion. Oskar is the favorite target of a small group of bullies at school. They are lead by Conny who seems to take particular pleasure in tormenting Oskar. One night a cab pulls up in front of the building and Oskar sees a man and a young girl get out. They move into the empty apartment next door to his. He notices that the man puts up brown paper and posters over the widows but doesn't think much more of it. Several days later while playing out in the courtyard at night the girl appears. They talk a little and afterward she informs him that they cannot be friends. The next evening she comes out again and Oskar shows her his Rubik's Cube. She has no idea what it is but seems interested in it so Oskar shows her how to use it and lends it to her. He notices that she is not wearing a coat or shoes. Since it is the dead of winter he asks if she is cold and she tells him she is not and that she doesn't remember what being cold was like. He subsequently asks her name and she says it's Eli and they exchange proper greetings. Eli looks like an average 12 year old but Oskar can't help but notice that there is something different about her. Their evening meetings continue and the two become friends.

Oskar shows up with a cut on his face received courtesy of Conny and his minions and Eli asks what happened. He tells her and she advises that he fight back and that he should hit them harder than he dares to in order to get them to stop. Oskar hesitates and asks her what if? She tells him that in that case she will help him as only she can'. The local paper begins to report strange goings on. A boy is murdered and drained of his blood and a witness sees a local man attacked under an overpass bridge by what appears to be a girl but later his body cannot be located. Oskar and Eli become closer and he tells her he has feelings for her. She hesitates but can't help what she feels for him too. Her father watches from a distance and warns her about seeing that boy. Things escalate for Eli and Oskar when her father is arrested and Oskar follows her advice and stands up to Conny at school. The events that follow lead them on paths that don't go in the same direction. Oskar knows the truth about Eli and ends up coming face to face with it. Eli has been down this road before and knows that to flee is life, to linger, death. She says goodbye to Oskar and leaves. Several nights later Conny and his friends set Oskar up by luring him into the school at night in order to exact revenge on him for standing up to them. Things begin to spiral out of control but not before Eli fulfills her vow to Oskar as only she can.

This film was all that I hoped it would be. When I saw the press announcement I had never heard of it but it sounded intriguing. This isn't a perfect film but all of its ingredients give it a bittersweet flavor that is inspiring. This is unlike any other genre film in that it's horror based elements take a backseat to the relationship between these two characters. On the other hand the story doesn't work without the fact that Eli lives on the blood of others. Certain aspects go unexplained but if you read between the lines you can surmise most of the answers. There are aspects of this film that some may feel are inappropriate but remember that this isn't a Hollywood production so keep an open mind. This is a movie about friendship (and a little romance), courage, trust, and of course vampirism which makes it a little bloody/violent. Lina Leandersson is simply amazing as Eli and Tomas Alfredson's tight pacing and clever direction entices the audience so that we bond with these characters regardless of their misdeeds. The ending was what I hoped it would be and is a bit ambiguous depending on how you want to look at it. I thoroughly enjoyed this film as it offered a rewarding and fresh spin on an age old horror genre concept.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody violence including disturbing images, brief nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

attachment.php?attachmentid=135911&d=1236470605

Let the right one in comes to Blu-ray Disc from Magnolia HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bit rate of 2.3 mbps.

This is a dark film both in tone and visual design and this video presentation capably conveys that. The color palette uses lots of pale secondary colors that give the film a stark visual aesthetic that coincides with the cold climate and dreary subject matter. When brighter colors such as shades of red or yellow are present, they pop with a vivacious, and inviting quality. Fleshtones seem to accurately reflect the often lighter and sun starved complexional tones of the cast. Detail in dark areas and low lighting is above average which provides discernible but limited visible structure within backgrounds. Blacks are respectable but not definitively deep enough to add dynamic punch to dark scenes. The varying levels are gray used in backgrounds has excellent gradational highlights which enhances depth perception. High definition resolution is satisfying as close ups are well delineated and long range visuals are reasonably sharp. This film was obviously shot on a limited budget but I found little to complain about with the overall quality of this video presentation.

Magnolia HE seems to be right at home in offering DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on their Blu-ray Discs (which is just fine with me). Both the English dubbed and Swedish language tracks are included. I utilized the Swedish soundtrack with English subtitles as I don't care for using dubbed audio. This isn't an overly complex sound design but its wide dynamic range, and superior clarity work very well within the scope of this film to create an invigorating experience. The music score is played back over the entire system as it sets the stage by building suspense, punctuating its release, and creating a subtle musical presence that can denote endearing moments. At times the beautiful instrumentation takes center stage with equal balance from both front and rear speakers as only it can heard in support of the events occurring onscreen. Other than that it maintains an open, frontal perspective with rear channel ambience that broadens dimension. LFE is effectively used throughout the presentation to heighten suspense so that it culminates in a low frequency crescendo that fills the room with deep, authoritative and multi-layered bass that is impressive.

An example of this occurs with the attack under the overpass. Directional spacing and off axis perspective across the front three channels is excellent. The blend of ambient and discrete sounds that join both the front and rear soundstages is cohesive and spatially proportionate. This is evident in a scene where a potential victim is caught in a school locker room. He begins to scream for help as his friends try to gain access to the locked room he is in. The dull echo within the room as well as the discretely located sounds of their pounding on the door and calls at the widow have realistic near field proximity within the acoustic environment. This entire sequence which is highlighted by his seemingly unending (and unnerving) screams sounded great. Dialogue is crisp, has defining vocal intonation and is centrally focused within the sound field so that it is infinitely intelligible. This lossless encoding enriches the fidelity inherent in the recording and brings it to the surface. I thought it sounded superb.

** CIH users can note that the subtitles are contained within the picture area.**

Bonus Features:

• 4 deleted scenes

• Behind the scenes featurette - 7 minute making of

• Photo gallery

• Theatrical poster gallery

attachment.php?attachmentid=135909&d=1236470605

Final Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this film. It offers us a chance to see another perspective on the vampire genre. What it might be like for a young girl trying to survive, how she affects the life of a lonely boy who wants acceptance, and finally what they come to mean to one another. I thought that the cast, specifically Lina Leandersson as Eli, Director Tomas Alfredson and screenplay writer/author John Ajvide Lindqvist painted a vivid portrait of this story bittersweet tale of violence, trust, friendship and sacrifice. Magnolia HE brings it to Blu-ray Disc day featuring solid audio/video quality but a light dose of bonus supplements that left me wanting. That is a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things as the film more than makes up for it. If you can find this one and enjoy genre films like this I highly recommend it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Again,nice review,this one look like worth buying.
post #3 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Can't wait to see this one. Amazon should be shipping it this week!
post #4 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am usually not into vampire films, but this was actually pretty good. [IMG]http://z09a0222gshv273.imageshacknow.info/img/3044************************[/IMG]
post #5 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Great review, i've heard mixed things about this one. Might pick it up anyway
post #6 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You should watch this when its dark outside, and let nothing interupt you during the viewing. Then you get your reward at the end of the movie.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #7 of 102 Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Ralph....great to hear that the subs are CIH-friendly. There are far too few foreign language BD's where this is the case....although I'm thankful that 'The Passion of the Christ' is reportedly ok (title n/a in Canada yet). The only BD in my collection with this attribute is 'The Orphanage'. Other titles that I wish were CIH-friendly: Shinobi, Black Book, La Femme Nikita, Letters From Iwo Jima, Saawariya.

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #8 of 102 Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just added this to my Netflix queue. Thanks Ralph!

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #9 of 102 Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Greetings,

You're more than welcome. I look forward to hearing feedback now that it is available...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 102 Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

I guess you have convinced me to get this one.
post #11 of 102 Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I watched this movie tonight and I have to say I'm in the awkward position of being a voice of dissent in the wide sea of praise this movie is receiving. It was a blind buy for me.

Technically, it's a fine disc. I have no complaints at all with it's quality as a Blu-ray. Picture and sound are what I hope for and expect.

As a story, it was as plodding as an old Volvo laboring through slush on bald tires. The movie has about 20 minutes worth of story and spends an hour and a half to get there. Remember back in the 50's when they used to turn out B movies that ran 62 minutes? This story would fit that accelerated format just fine. It's not a bad film. Nothing in the content made me curse the screen or roll my eyes. It's just an average, rather slow, slightly shallow movie that stretches itself into a leisurely paced two hours.
post #12 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I watched this movie tonight and I have to say I'm in the awkward position of being a voice of dissent in the wide sea of praise this movie is receiving. It was a blind buy for me.

Technically, it's a fine disc. I have no complaints at all with it's quality as a Blu-ray. Picture and sound are what I hope for and expect.

As a story, it was as plodding as an old Volvo laboring through slush on bald tires. The movie has about 20 minutes worth of story and spends an hour and a half to get there. Remember back in the 50's when they used to turn out B movies that ran 62 minutes? This story would fit that accelerated format just fine. It's not a bad film. Nothing in the content made me curse the screen or roll my eyes. It's just an average, rather slow, slightly shallow movie that stretches itself into a leisurely paced two hours.

Yes some would think that it to slow paced (its not for everyone), but the pacing is there for a reason. It gives a contrast to the "faster paced scenes" and it also gives some real world feel to it.

But it is so full of subtle things, so I wouldnt want to call the story shallow.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Take the character of Håkan as an example, and compare him to Oskar, do we see Oskar 40 years later in him, or does the future have something else in mind for Oskar.

post #13 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Yes some would think that it to slow paced (its not for everyone), but the pacing is there for a reason. It gives a contrast to the "faster paced scenes" and it also gives some real world feel to it.

But it is so full of subtle things, so I wouldnt want to call the story shallow.

Spoiler  
Take the character of Håkan as an example, and compare him to Oskar, do we see Oskar 40 years later in him, or does the future have something else in mind for Oskar.

Greetings,

Dex, thanks for sharing your take on the film...

I agree with MovieSwede that the pacing is purposeful to the story. As to your point in the spoiler, I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 AM

Can anyone here explain the different subs? O.K. we've got English and English for the deaf and hard of hearing, but what is the "English: Narrative" one?

The other part of my question is if anyone can weigh in on the rumour that the translation is different and much worse than the theatrical translation? Things like "do you want to be my girlfriend" changing to the ridiculous "do I have a chance with you?". Yep because that's how 12 year olds talk... I really hope it's not true. Anyone?

I suffer from sexy dyslexia - I prefer black bras on my screen.
post #15 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by half vader View Post

Can anyone here explain the different subs? O.K. we've got English and English for the deaf and hard of hearing, but what is the "English: Narrative" one?

I guess its for the english audiotrack.

Quote:

The other part of my question is if anyone can weigh in on the rumour that the translation is different and much worse than the theatrical translation? Things like "do you want to be my girlfriend" changing to the ridiculous "do I have a chance with you?". Yep because that's how 12 year olds talk... I really hope it's not true. Anyone?

I know its a different subtitles between the theatrical and the disc release.

I guess they tried a more direct translation on the swedish "Får jag chans på dig" which is a phrase kids (adults would never use it) say to each other when they want to be together. I dont know what an equal phrase would be in english.

post #16 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Best vampire movie?

I thought Twilight was the best vampire movie. lol
post #17 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
To be honest, I have to say that the movie did fare somewhat better on second viewing.

I think maybe I was too distracted by my cat clawing at my surround speakers last night
post #18 of 102 Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like this one.Saw it last night.
post #19 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

To be honest, I have to say that the movie did fare somewhat better on second viewing.

I think maybe I was too distracted by my cat clawing at my surround speakers last night

Someone didnt follow my advice.

Quote:

You should watch this when its dark outside, and let nothing interupt you during the viewing. Then you get your reward at the end of the movie.

post #20 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Watched this last night and I thought it was good, not amazing, but good. My GF on the other hand, she was put to sleep at about the 1hour mark Oh well, it was a great rental.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched this last night and I thought it was good, not amazing, but good. My GF on the other hand, she was put to sleep at about the 1hour mark Oh well, it was a great rental.

Women dont see the beuty in having a vampire as a girlfriend.

post #22 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

Women dont see the beuty in having a vampire as a girlfriend.

lol Agreed.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #23 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 PM

I picked this up since I've always been a sucker for vampire movies, and this was nothing I expected. I am glad I did not even read the back of the case.

Spoiler  
It really felt like a romantic movie to me, kind of reminds you of first love, if anyone can remember back to those times. They just accept each other.
post #24 of 102 Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwire View Post

I picked this up since I've always been a sucker for vampire movies, and this was nothing I expected. I am glad I did not even read the back of the case.

Spoiler  
It really felt like a romantic movie to me, kind of reminds you of first love, if anyone can remember back to those times. They just accept each other.

Greetings,

darkwire, glad to hear that you not only got it but liked is as well.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I had wanted to catch this movie in the theaters, but my wife is not a horror movie fan and I never got the time to go on my own....

But, the trailer and reviews gave me the impression I would really like this film. I'm almost glad I saw it in a home theater setting....the smaller scale story and terrific surround effects I think were enhanced by viewing it at home vs larger commericial theater.

The soundtrack and small scale of the film lends itself to the eerie foreboding tension this film produces. I really loved the pacing and tension...revealing their world in layers, instead of clubbing you over the head with fast paced gore.

The imagery was striking, the amped up use of natural sound (aka David Lynch) was creepy. I didn't realize how it effected me until I watched one of the special features (poster gallery?) and the swirling wind and snow storm sound creeped me out. Why? Cause it created an association with the horror from the film.

Because this film is so much more than a horror vampire film, I think I'll push my wife to watch it with me the next time.

Thanks for all your hard work, Ralph!!

I appreciate your reviews

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #26 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Here's a great interview with the director. Please be warned it discusses the movie in detail and contains spoilers

http://www.iconsoffright.com/IV_Tomas.htm

One item I found interesting was the disturbing element of the El (obviously being older, but in the body of a 12 yo) and her relationship the Oskar. And, the blood supplier and his age difference to El from a physical stand point. The unstated element of pedophilia (SP?).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #27 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I guess its for the english audiotrack.

Sure, but so are the other two! That's my point! What does "narrative" mean as opposed to the regular tracks?! Has anyone listened to see how this track differs to the others?

Quote:

I guess they tried a more direct translation on the swedish "Får jag chans på dig" which is a phrase kids (adults would never use it) say to each other when they want to be together. I dont know what an equal phrase would be in english.

Unfortunately the translation they used would NEVER be used by English-speaking kids. As someone on another forum said, it's like saying , "I'm 12. Let's f***!". Just doesn't happen!

I suffer from sexy dyslexia - I prefer black bras on my screen.
post #28 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I had wanted to catch this movie in the theaters, but my wife is not a horror movie fan and I never got the time to go on my own....

But, the trailer and reviews gave me the impression I would really like this film. I'm almost glad I saw it in a home theater setting....the smaller scale story and terrific surround effects I think were enhanced by viewing it at home vs larger commericial theater.

The soundtrack and small scale of the film lends itself to the eerie foreboding tension this film produces. I really loved the pacing and tension...revealing their world in layers, instead of clubbing you over the head with fast paced gore.

The imagery was striking, the amped up use of natural sound (aka David Lynch) was creepy. I didn't realize how it effected me until I watched one of the special features (poster gallery?) and the swirling wind and snow storm sound creeped me out. Why? Cause it created an association with the horror from the film.

Because this film is so much more than a horror vampire film, I think I'll push my wife to watch it with me the next time.

Thanks for all your hard work, Ralph!!

I appreciate your reviews

Ron

Greetings,

My pleasure Ron and thanks for sharing your thoughts on this wonderful film..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph, I have noticed that many people (including myself) have discovered that the movie grows the more time that goes from the first watch.

Like after the movie: Its an OK movie.
One day after: Its was a fantastic movie.
One week after: Best movie of 2008.
Two week after: Best vampire movie ever.

Have you (or any other by the way) experienced something similar?

post #30 of 102 Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ralph, I have noticed that many people (including myself) have discovered that the movie grows the more time that goes from the first watch.

Like after the movie: Its an OK movie.
One day after: Its was a fantastic movie.
One week after: Best movie of 2008.
Two week after: Best vampire movie ever.

Have you (or any other by the way) experienced something similar?

This seems to be happening to me. I watched this last night.

After the movie I thought "It was OK.", but within a few hours I was already thinking about the film. Less than 24 hours later and it has now gone from being an "OK film to "One of the best films that I've seen.

For me it was great to watch a horror film that didn't insult the intelligence of its viewers with ridiculously stupid characters.

I loved the ending BTW.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Let The Right One In Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Let by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page