Starring: Jason Statham, Natalya Rudakova, Francois Berleano, Robert Knepper
Directed by: Olivier Megaton
Music by: Alexandre Azaria
Written by: Luc Besson & Robert Mark Kamen
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 10, 2009

"This time, the rules are the same. Except one.."

Film Synopsis:

Jason Statham is back as Frank Martin, the Transporter,*in this explosive third installment of the action-adventure series. This time, Frank is presented an offer he can’t refuse and ends up with a mysterious passenger and a dangerous destination*--*calling for a new machine and new rules. *The stakes are bigger, the enemy*is deadlier, and the action has never been hotter.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136187&d=1236714605

I own the first two Transporter movies on Blu-ray and enjoy them. As a genre fan I like their non stop action and high octane adrenaline. I think the first one set the tone while the second veered a bit left and took a detour that made it feel too different from the original. The plot in Transporter 3 feels more like the Transporter in concept but doesn’t have the smooth pacing, clever direction and fresh appeal that it has. This story once again finds our man Frank in the driver’s seat and facing incredible odds. He is unwillingly attached to this latest package by an American named Johnson who has been hired to ensure the control of a political official named Vasilev. The plot is simple, deliver the package (a young Croatian woman named Valentina), to a specific location as guided by Johnson. The rub occurs in that in order to ensure compliance both Frank and Valentina have been fitted with tamperproof bracelets that will blow them to pieces if they travel more that 75 feet from Frank’s car.

I don’t know about you but I don’t watch films like this expecting well rounded scripts, deep characters, and award winning performances. Movies like this require the suspension of belief in realism which allows an escape into a world where pretty much anything is possible in order to achieve the desired goal. The goal of course is mindless entertainment is derived from action based elements that are exciting, physically demanding, thoroughly unbelievable and of course fun to watch. There is plenty of fast packed action, outlandish stunts (Bicycle chase and two wheel maneuver involving the tractor trailers), hand to hand combat, and gunplay/explosions to satisfy action junkies. There is a bit of romance that felt a little out of place but it didn’t have a significant bearing on the course of the film so it’s forgivable. Jason Statham is in prime shape and offers his requisite physical talents to the part. I think that the original is still the best of the three while this one and Transporter 2 seem to be on equal ground. Either way I had a great time.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence, some sexual content and drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=136188&d=1236714605

Transporter 3 comes to Blu-ray Disc from LionsGate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.8 mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that that boasts image quality that is indicative of what we have seen from the better high definition discs available on Blu-ray. Resolution is generally exceptional as images have impeccable definition and tack like sharpness. Objects onscreen are three dimensional with exquisite fine rendering that discloses even the smallest minutia captured by the camera’s lens. Colors are snappy with warm vivid hues and delineated textures that look vibrant in high definition. Fleshtones are naturally rendered with warm highlights that gave them a golden glow. Blacks are inky and noise free with discernibly deep variant shades. Contrast is boosted which gives the image a dynamic quality that at times overdrove whites and washed out detail. The effects were minor and the stylized look appeared intentional. The best looking scene in the movie occurs in chapter 11 as Frank and Valentina sit overlooking a valley in the fading dusk light. The deep shadows, gradational grays, delineated colors, and inky blacks interwoven in the mountainous crevices paint a picture that looks absolutely stunning. Make no mistake that this is a great looking high definition presentation that offers demonstration level visuals regardless of the screen size of your display.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is a dynamic tour de force that will test your system’s limits. This is an aggressive and active surround mix that has extended dynamic range that definitively renders that bombastic nature of the elements in this recording. The action based sequences simply rock as the room is transformed into a three dimensional soundstage that creates an immersive 360 degree soundfield that literally bombards the aural senses with a plethora of sounds and effects that emanate from every direction. Low frequency effects frequently produce deep, demonstrative bass that attains room shaking levels and prodigious depth. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that occasionally had just the slightest hint of sibilance. I didn’t feel that it required a deduction as it didn’t have a negative impact on fidelity. This is an engaging and dynamically energized sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension that is guaranteed to break your lease. If you have a system that you think is it up to the task, crank this one up to reference, and prepare to be enthralled. I won’t be held responsible for any damage to your system…

** CIH users should note that the subtitles are contained within the picture area.**

Bonus Features:

• Audoo commentary with Director Olivier Megaton

• Special delivery: Transporters in the real world – 13 minute documentary

• Making of Transporter 3 – 16 minute featurette

• Storyboard comparison – 3 minutes

• Visual effects – 2 minutes

• The Sets – 2 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• (HD) Also from LionsGate

• MoLog

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc – A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=136189&d=1236714605

Final Thoughts:

Transporter 3 isn’t great cinema but if you like mindless, high octane action flicks it’s a home run. Speaking of home runs, it’s high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc from LionsGate looks great and delivers room shaking reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound that makes it worthy demonstration material. The bonus features offer only a brief/limited look at select aspects of the production but does include the Blu-ray friendly MoLog functionality and a digital copy bonus disc. I would highly recommend this disc for genre fans. Casual viewers are best served with a rental before purchasing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
** CIH users should note that the subtitles are contained within the picture area.**

Can you clarify?

I'm deaf and was wondering what CIH means, but never mind that - aren't subtitles usually contained within the picture area? Do you mean we can't move it around dynamically through our box settings?
post #3 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornedge View Post

Can you clarify?

I'm deaf and was wondering what CIH means, but never mind that - aren't subtitles usually contained within the picture area? Do you mean we can't move it around dynamically through our box settings?

I am fairly sure he is refering to people with a 2.35:1 aspect screen. Some movies in that aspect will put the subtitle in the black bar area to keep it out of the picture, but with those with a scope screen the subtitle would then be off the screen entirely. So by this having the subs within the picture they will be fine to enjoy the movie with subs on their set-up.

Also thanks for another good review Ralph. I went ahead and bought this on lunch today as a blind buy. I thought the first 2 Transporter flicks were great mindless entertainment movies and it's nice to see this one shouldn't disappoint. Even better is the great picture and audio quality you mention, I can't wait to get home and give this a spin.
post #4 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 PM

WOW, a 95!

Honestly though, I agree, if you love high-octane fighting movies, this is a good one!
post #5 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by zornedge View Post

Can you clarify?

Greetings,

CIH stands for Constant Image Height which is a scope screen setup that has an aspect ratio of around 2.35:1 or so. Some films place the subtitles in the letterbox area below the picture which means that they wouldn't be visible on a CIH setup.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 443
This just shot to the top of my que. I have not been let down yet by your audio scores so I cant wait to hear this one!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm one of few people who enjoy Transporter 2 more than the original. The fight choreography is excellent in both, but the second film upped the quality with a more interesting/original storyline and better soundtrack.

Transporter 3, while all right overall, has some nuisances that are absent in the first two entries. In particular, the fight scenes have too many quick cuts and the lead woman can be annoying.
post #8 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I agree with the review. This movie seemed different from the first two as well. I thought that some scenes were drawn out and unnecessary. This movie had some good action moments, but I thought it could have had more.
post #9 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Jason Statham had so much promise only to blow it and maybe sell out for the al mighty buck. Transporter was a great first movie. But with each and every movie he's done since, he's thrown all his credibility out the window. The only movie he's done worth watching in the last few years is The Bank Job. Whoever writes his movies, seems to just write them for the sake of having a means to him getting around to kicking butt. Just the problem is though, it's like these huge pot holes take away and all hope of liking what's to follow. Crank looked like it would be a non stop thrill ride action flick given the premise, but it was the complete opposite. It was slow paced, and boring as hell. With each transporter movie it just got more unrealistic and ridiculously silly.

Sorry for venting like this but damn, he's really been letting me down film after film.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I agree with the review. This movie seemed different from the first two as well. I thought that some scenes were drawn out and unnecessary. This movie had some good action moments, but I thought it could have had more.

Yes,I think so.This Transpoter 3 was quite different than the former films,may be the producer wanted it to be this way or change from Fox to Lion gate distibution.My noticed,almost always the AUDI cars from Europa production,anyway I was quite enjoy with this movie,also the sound was a decent one.
post #11 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

With each transporter movie it just got more unrealistic and ridiculously silly.

That is a common criticism about this series, but I think ridiculousness is one of its most endearing qualities. I view each Transporter movie as being similar to a number of kung-fu films of the past and present, where the emphasis is greatly put on the protagonist’s incredible abilities as a fighter and high likability as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Crank looked like it would be a non stop thrill ride action flick given the premise, but it was the complete opposite. It was slow paced, and boring as hell.

I completely agree with you here.
post #12 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great review Ralph! I just received this movie but I am in a business trip.. Can't wait to get back home and watch it...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #13 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The preview was also good in the part 2 of the man whose heart was stolen and must get battery unit along with him,Crank 2.Jason Statham is a must starring in Lion gate movies,may be he will be in SAW 13.
post #14 of 70 Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

The preview was also good in the part 2 of the man whose heart was stolen and must get battery unit along with him,Cranck 2.Jason Statham is a must starring in Lion gate movies,may be he will be in SAW 13.

Hopefully they ship mine soon

Frank

post #15 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Is this movie filled with music during action scenes?

I just hate it when the surrounds and surround backs are full of cheesy music.. I think it ruins the film..
post #16 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 AM

I watched this last night and feel that Ralph may not have rated the audio high enough.
post #17 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

A little mindless high octane action is good for the sould every now and then. I have the first two installments of Transporter and will add this to the collection.
post #18 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

A little mindless high octane action is good for the sould every now and then. I have the first two installments of Transporter and will add this to the collection.

I watched this last night..
A must rental

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

post #19 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

95?! Whoa!

Saw the movie in theatres but was on the fence if it was Blu Ray worthy and Ralph just confirms it is! Copy should be on it's way.

Thanks again Ralph.

Cheers
post #20 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Liked: 12
Great review Ralph! I watched Transporter 3 last night and it was a good action flick! As others have said, it is different from one and two. The original is by far the best, but I think the third installment of the Transporter was better than the second one.....IMHO.
I think they could've upped the ante on some of the fighting scenes though.

post #21 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hopefully they ship mine soon

I think ,this one will be a favorite BD for you.
post #22 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I think ,this one will be a favorite BD for you.

looking forward in watching this one.

Frank

post #23 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Same for me.

Audio = 100! Whouah! Got to have this one.
post #24 of 70 Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Same for me.

Audio = 100! Whouah! Got to have this one.

Highest audio score ever?agreed with Ralph.
post #25 of 70 Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Transporter 3 is excellent and I agree with Ralph, true demo disc both PQ and AQ.
post #26 of 70 Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Greetings,

I have deleted several posts because the disscussion has nothing to do with this review thread. Please limit discussion to the subject of this film/review.

Thanks.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #27 of 70 Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Sory,Ralph.
post #28 of 70 Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi Ralph,

I heard that the LFE on this track was something like 5dB's too hot (mixed that way). In your professional opinion, do you think there is any truth to this?
post #29 of 70 Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

You're referring to Kris Deering's review? I saw that one to and I still picked it up ($24.99 at Futureshop) and didn't have any problems with it. I'm running it through my HTPC via analogue but that shouldn't affect the LFE. And I have Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk and Dark Knight and all three have killer bass on my system (Axiom EP350) so I would know if it sounded off. I would say rent it and see what you think for yourself.
post #30 of 70 Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

Hi Ralph,

I heard that the LFE on this track was something like 5dB's too hot (mixed that way). In your professional opinion, do you think there is any truth to this?

And someone from this forum I believe, when recommending for the audio tier thread in the BD forum, said the LFE didn't reach down far enough. For me it is a reference disc all the way around and I have felt more LFE that seemed a bit over the top in Hulk on BD IIRC.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Transporter 3 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Transporter by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page