Feature running time: 96
Genre: Animated/Action/Adventure/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Voices of: John Travolta, Miley Cyrus, Greg Germann, Susie Essman, Mark Walton, Malcom McDowell
Directed by: Byron Howard & Chris Williams
Music by: John Powell
Written by: Dan Fogelman & Chris Williams
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 22, 2009

"Real life is a total adventure"

Film Synopsis:

Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) is the star of the biggest show in Hollywood. The only problem is, he thinks the whole thing is real. When the super dog is accidentally shipped to New York City and separated from Penny (voiced by Miley Cyrus), his beloved co-star and owner, Bolt springs into action to
find his way home. Together with his hilarious new sidekicks Rhino (voiced by Mark Walton) - Bolt's #1 Fan - and a street-smart cat named Mittens (voiced by Susie Essman), Bolt sets off on an amazing journey where he discovers he doesn't need super powers to be a hero.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136588&d=1236971949

I have been a fan of Disney's animated feature films for some 40 years now. Not only do they consistently look great but they tend to be family oriented and offer positive messages targeted toward young impressionable minds. Bolt is a live action TV star who has been enhanced with super strength, speed, laser beam emitting eyes, and a devastating super bark capable of leveling buildings. He and his assigned person Penny regularly save the world from dire peril as he protects her from harm. The only problem is that Bolt has no idea that all of this is fiction and special effects as part of a TV show that he is the star of. No one, not even Penny, is allowed to divulge this to him. He lives in a mobile home/trailer that is kept on the show's set. The show is written so that at the end of each episode Bolt saves both Penny and the day from the evil Green eyed man Dr. Calico and his minions. The network decides that in order to boost ratings and make the show more attractive to a broader audience it should end with a cliff hanger that leaves Penny's fate uncertain after she is captured by the Dr. Calico. They do this at the conclusion of the next show without prior notice to Penny. When Bolt see's this he launches into a quest to find her and accidentally gets trapped in a box that is being shipped to New York City. Once there he finds himself in unfamiliar territory but has complete faith that with his super powers he will recover Penny. He ends up meeting up with an alley cat named Mittens (Essman) and initially forces her to help him get back to Penny while under the belief that she is one of Dr. Calico's lackeys. Reminiscent of Buzz Lightyear and Woody in Toy Story, Mittens tries to get Bolt to realize that he doesn't have powers and that he is part of a TV show. Early on, sheer coincidence and fortunate happenstance reinforce Bolt's beliefs however things slowly begin to erode them. Just when things look especially grim they meet up with Rhino in an RV park. Rhino is a hamster and avid TV watcher that is a huge Bolt fan who totally believes in him. When he sees Bolt he excitedly convinces him (sort of) that anything is possible for the wonder dog and that they must recover Penny right away (with his help of course). The story continues as the three of them trek across the country while dealing with dog catchers, hunger, and finding shelter.

There is more to the story but I don't want to completely give away the store. The film runs the gamut from adventure, to drama, to comicalness. The premise is certainly nothing new but the character development is good and dialogue is cleverly written. The blend of action/drama/comedy is right on target which helps to keep interest high for kids and adults alike. Of course the characters are adorned with Disney's requisite visual style that just seems to perfectly suit them and the actors supplying their voices. The scene where Mittens shows Bolt how to beg for food is just priceless. Rhino is a complete scene stealer and the pigeons (on both coasts) are a hoot. I appreciated the careful establishment of the relationship between Mittens and Bolt as their friendship is integral to the story. I admit that the plot is formulaic but it is conceptually strong and the good far outweighs the familiarity. I think Bolt is a warm, charming and fun film that the whole family can enjoy.< /p>

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action and peril.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=136586&d=1236971949

Bolt comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 6.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 mbps.

This is the second animated feature that has garnered a perfect technical rating from me and the first from Disney. This is a beautifully crafted digital film that looks amazing in high definition. The attention to detail in the design of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame was impressive. There is a scene later in the movie where Bolt, Mittens and Rhino are in the back of a truck during an evening rain storm. I could see lots of fine detail in the droplets of rain bouncing off of the hard surface of the truck's body and in Bolt's fur as it blew in the wind and began to become saturated by the rain. Colors are rich, vibrant, well balanced and visually stimulating. Blacks are stable, with ink like depth, and visible gradational stages. During chapter 12 the trio passes through Las Vegas at night. The scene culminates with a fireworks sequence against the nighttime sky above one of the hotels. This segment looked stunning as the wide variety of colors popped against the bright, crisp contrast of the hotel lighting and deep dynamic black of the sky background. Images had incredible dimensional perspective thanks in part to the use painted rather than simulated backgrounds. There is a scene in chapter 11 when Bolt and Rhino stand on a ridge in the moonlight looking down on an animal shelter. This quick shot has discernibly deep image penetration as the two characters are set in the foreground with the moon, cloudy sky and scenery serving as a perceivably multi-layered backdrop. Crisp definition and razor sharp focus allow all of the texture, subtle delineation and high resolution inherent in this digitally created film to be fully appreciated. This is a blemish free, resplendent, high gloss video presentation that won't disappoint.

Disney has been consistently offering lossless audio on their Blu-ray discs since the early days of the format. Lately they have begun to include DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks and I have to say that I am liking it. The movie opens in a rather quaint scene that takes place in a pet store. It closes and slowly fades into chapter two. Chapter two quickly throws you into a dynamically charged sequence that is enhanced by bass response that energizes and actively engages the room on a subterranean level. The music score is blended with the sound effects to create an active, totally immersive and enriching surround sound experience that is truly rewarding. John Powell's rousing music is an essential component to this soundtrack as it helps to intensify the action with its energetic instrumentation, thunderous bass drum, and modern, synthesized rhythms. The surround mix makes regular use of the entire system platform to bring the elements in this film into the room with sublime articulation and discretely placed sounds that seamlessly mate with the onscreen events. Low frequency effects accentuate the music, sound effects and dynamic presence of the audio with aplomb. The effects produce bass response that is demonstrative as it occasionally reaches transient levels that dip into the low 30HZ and upper 20HZ sub bass regions. The front and rear sound fields are cohesively integrated so that panning sequences achieve a seamless blend regardless of direction. Dialogue, music, and the plethora of sounds within the recording are cleanly reproduced with discernible distinction and directional spacing that enhances perception. The great example of this occurs in the finale during the fire at the studio. This segment sounded incredibly nuanced, with impeccable near filed correlation and an almost infinite feeling of dimension. The quiet moments sound just as detailed as the active ones in this intelligent and impressive sound design that offers high resolution sound quality and extended dynamic range that simply rocks.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Bonus short: Super Rhino - 4 minutes offered in 5.1 surround

• (HD) 2 Deleted scenes with optional Directors Introduction - Storyboard drawings

• (HD) In session with John Travolta & Miley Cyrus - 1 minute

• (HD) I thought I lost you music video

• Bolt's Be Awesome Mission - Interactive game

• (HD) A new breed of Directors: A filmmaker's journey - 4 minute documentary on 1st time directors Byron Howard & Chris Williams

• (HD) Act, speak!: The voices of Bolt - 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Creating the world of Bolt - 6 minute featurette

• Bolt art galleries

1. Character design
    2. Color script
    3. Storyboard art
    4. Visual development

• DisneyFile Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• BD-Live enabled - includes Movie Chat, Movie Mall, Movie Challenge and Movie Rewards

• Standard Definition bonus copy of Bolt DVD
attachment.php?attachmentid=136587&d=1236971949

Final Thoughts:

Disney has another winner in Bolt. Its blend of action, warmth, and well timed humor makes it a perfect family film that can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of age. Disney has once again proven that they are capable of delivering Blu-ray Disc presentations of the highest order. Bolt is a reference quality audio/video presentation that is sure to engage even the most discerning enthusiast. I appreciate the inclusion of a standard definition DVD copy of the film in addition to a Digital Copy Disc. The bonus features contain Blu-ray Disc exclusives as well as access to Disney's BD-Live. If you enjoy Disney Animated feature films this is an easy one to recommend. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome review, Ralph! This will be at the top of my Netflix rental list.

Thanks!
post #3 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I saw this one in the theater with my son I am kind of surprised that they didn't include a 3D version as well.

When we saw it in the theater the 3D was really well done.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #4 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny15 View Post

Awesome review, Ralph! This will be at the top of my Netflix rental list.

Thanks!

+1. On par with KFP tech wise?! Cant wait

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Liked: 10
Another good one from Disney!

Thanks for the review! I am ordering this one today!

I also like that it has the DVD included..
post #6 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Great review.

I second the previous posters comments that inclusion of the standard def DVD is appreciated.

I just got the Pinnochio Blu-ray and liked it immensely - a big bonus is including the DVD.

For the extra dollar or two, this is a huge selling point for me.
post #7 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorite View Post

Great review.

I second the previous posters comments that inclusion of the standard def DVD is appreciated.

I just got the Pinnochio Blu-ray and liked it immensely - a big bonus is including the DVD.

For the extra dollar or two, this is a huge selling point for me.

ESPECIALLY when u have a 7 yr. old who wants to watch every movie 100 times on her portable dvd player!
post #8 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM

I really enjoyed the movie in the theatres and was very much looking forward to buying this film as Disney releases some great blu-rays but what's with the 6.1 sound?? I thought that format was finished! Why do they release some movies in DTS-HD in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc.... It would be nice if the companies would just stick with a sound format. Whats next DTS-HD 8.1? Weak sauce!
post #9 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

I am pretty much the opposite. To me, the inclusion of the standard DVD, not to mention the digital copy, is a complete waste (and what I was tempted to blind buy now may be a lost sale). And, yes, I have kids. IMO, this is even a worst trend than the HD DVD Combo discs...

I do not get this, or the people who were against the combo disk on HD DVD.

This will be the first kids' movie I buy on Blu Ray precisely because they FINNALY included a DVD version the kids can watch 100 times in every other room.
post #10 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

This is the second animated feature that has garnered a perfect technical rating from me and the first from Disney.

What is the other?

Regarding the DVD Copy - I don't mind paying a bit extra for a DVD alternative. I can enjoy the BD copy at home and bring the DVD over to grandma's house for the grand-kids to enjoy (they happen to have an Oppo 983 I gave 'em for Christmas so it'll look good on their Panasonic plasma).

The Rhino character elevated Bolt in my humble opinion (man his parts were hilarious).

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #11 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

What is the other?

Regarding the DVD Copy - I don't mind paying a bit extra for a DVD alternative. I can enjoy the BD copy at home and bring the DVD over to grandma's house for the grand-kids to enjoy (they happen to have an Oppo 983 I gave 'em for Christmas so it'll look good on their Panasonic plasma).

The Rhino character elevated Bolt in my humble opinion (man his parts were hilarious).

Greetings,

Neil, the other animated film I referred to was Kung Fu Panda..

BTW- Love your work with Rush...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #12 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

The dvd copy is a MUCH better idea than the HD DVD combo discs. It can be taken anywhere to watch on a portable players/friends/family homes while always having the hi-def copy at home safe in the HT.
Great review, I am looking forward to adding this one to my "son's" collection.
post #13 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 PM

I prefer Blu Rays that come with a SD DVD so that way I can watch it in any room with a DVD player. The digital copy, however, is a complete waste for me.

The HD-DVD combo disc was a great idea that was flawed by a big drop in reliability of the disc.

As to Bolt, I haven't seen it and might get it eventually. Right now I have too many must buys on the release schedule so Bolt would have to wait.
post #14 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sounds like this is a winner. I can't remember what your other 100 video rating was for an animated feature. I think it might have been Kung Fu Panda which in my opinion is the best looking animated disc out there for picture quality. I can't wait to see Bolt if it offers the same level of depth and detail. I believe the Blu-ray comes out 2 days before the DVD too. Way to go Disney!
post #15 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I am pretty much the opposite. To me, the inclusion of the standard DVD, not to mention the digital copy, is a complete waste (and what I was tempted to blind buy now may be a lost sale). And, yes, I have kids. IMO, this is even a worst trend than the HD DVD Combo discs...

The feature led me to buy Pinnochio on BD - 1st "kids" movie to be on Blu. Leads me to a possible blind buy for this one.

Don't be an "HD snob". BD is still a miniscule slice of the overall video market. THis is a way better move than digitial copy, too.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #16 of 156 Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM

[quote=Vader424242;16039062]Just release multiple versions, and don't make those of us who have no use for it pay extra[quote]

How much is the current blu ray version with the SD DVD included?
post #17 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My brother and I really were amazed at the depth the 3D version had. I hope they start releasing shutterglass versions soon.

Joe.T
post #18 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Alot of grumble about an SD and Digital Copy. From what I have seen these packages do not cost any more than if they were not there. We got High School Musical 3 with a DVD copy and that was the only reason we bought the BD version of this movie as it was no more expensive then I bet it normally would have been belive we picked it up for 25.99 at BB first week out and they always have them out that first week at a discount and when I am out of town over night she gets to watch in HD and when we are all home gets booted to her room to watch it, thank god for the DVD and the digital copy can be copied to her PSP or one of our iPhones so she has something to watch in the car. Now on non kid movies I could care less about the DVD but I love the digital copies. I travel alot and have alot of down time while waiting for business to be conducted and I love watcing movies on my iPhone in these instances. i think they use these fetures more as a gimick to get you to buy not to make more money. A DVD costs them what .14 to create and you already bought the movie so you are not out on any licensing fees or anything. My 2 cents.
post #19 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 06:54 AM

[quote=1st Cav;16039829][quote=Vader424242;16039062]Just release multiple versions, and don't make those of us who have no use for it pay extra
Quote:

How much is the current blu ray version with the SD DVD included?

Currently 27.99 at amazon, I bet same price at BB, pretty standard price for a Disney movie on BD first week out. So the DVD version not effecting anything. Think of the kids people, the childrennnnn...
post #20 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The highest scores ever ,since I came into this AVS,great review,Ralph.This BD is the must owned for me.
post #21 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not an "HD Snob" - those are the people who claim that SD DVD - the same SD DVD that they watched and collected and build their HT around - are now "unwatchable" just because HD has come along. If they want to offer the SD version along with the HD version, fine. Just release multiple versions, and don't make those of us who have no use for it pay extra: have a version with only the HD version. I will probably get this release eventually, but that doesn't mean that I'm happy about getting two coasters along with it.

You say two coasters now, until you actually put it on for your kids in the other room to watch, unless of course your kids are 25 years old and don't want to watch the movie.

You are definately in the minority opinion on this one. I for one am glad I DON'T have to spend $28 on the Blu-ray and THEN another $20 on the SD-DVD if I want another copy for my son's room.
post #22 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was one of those early HD DVD adopters who disliked the combo format. The price WAS a few dollars higher, and I almost always already had the SD version in my collection. In those cases where I was buying a new release, the combo format meant I could not "give one disk to the kids" and keep the HD version in my HT. Made me mad to buy the SD version yet again.

In the BD arena, the digital copy is useless to me. An SD version included at no price increase might be nice for some titles, but adding extra cost to an already (IMO) overpriced format is not helpful. Paying twice the SD disk price for a BD disk simply isn't attractive to me. I own a LOT of titles on BD and HD DVD, but I buy the vast majority from a local used disc chain. I typically pay $13.99 for used BD titles. I will not pay $25 plus for most titles.

When (or if) BD prices fall to a two or three dollar premium over SD, I think we will see the format start to take off. IMO, Sony has manipulated the market to win the format war, and spent so much money that they have to keep prices (too) high to recoup their investment. They are shooting themselves in the foot, especially after it has been proven that consumers DO appreciate HD and WILL pay for it. Many people seem to think that twice the price is a little too much to pay for many of the not-exactly-stellar BD releases so far. Especially when the improvements in PQ and audio require an above average set of gear to fully appreciate them.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #23 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 AM

BD+DVD Copy is how it should have been done and should be the Norm. None of that Digital copy B.S., probably cost more to include than a dvd that is already produced anyway. Seeing the preview for bolt on the Pinocchio BD I knew it would look amazing and was excited to add it to my collection. Can't wait for "Up" now, it looks great too.
post #24 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i believe disney made a critical error with the hamster.

it really sends a bad message towards childeren. they get the message it is a cool to put hamster in a plastic ball.

i know so, because i was with my family in the cinema watching the movie. and my brothers little girl asked after the movie, if she could get a hamsterball. although i first thought it was funny, later on i realized that it was the movie its fault to include it. imagine all childeren think it is cool to put a hamster in a plastic ball. it is simply cruel.

that said the hamster was the most fun part of the whole movie, but they should have thought better on how to include him. without a plastic ball would have been way better.

i wonder how Walt disney would have thought of this when he would still live.
post #25 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

100?? WoW!!! I was going to put this on the back burner with Batman and the Bond films coming. Guess I'll need to get to it sooner rather than later. I hope I like the story though.
post #26 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
i
Quote:
wonder how Walt disney would have thought of this when he would still live

. Where he still living??Walt Disney probably REALLY loathed Tom & Jerry then...let's stick with the movie itself and not sub-political/moral topics please.
post #27 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
who didn't have a hamster ball when growing up? Your not tourting the thing by putting him in there. As long as your not letting him roll down stairs or something its fine. I'd think he'd rather be in a hamsterball from time to time (and in a nice cozy house) then in some snakes stomach.

GREAT MOVIE. I loved how kung fu panda looked on my 67 inch and can't wait to see how this looks!

Thanks Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i believe disney made a critical error with the hamster.

it really sends a bad message towards childeren. they get the message it is a cool to put hamster in a plastic ball.

i know so, because i was with my family in the cinema watching the movie. and my brothers little girl asked after the movie, if she could get a hamsterball. although i first thought it was funny, later on i realized that it was the movie its fault to include it. imagine all childeren think it is cool to put a hamster in a plastic ball. it is simply cruel.

that said the hamster was the most fun part of the whole movie, but they should have thought better on how to include him. without a plastic ball would have been way better.

i wonder how Walt disney would have thought of this when he would still live.

post #28 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

In the BD arena, I wholly agree the digital copy is useless to me. An SD version included at no price increase might be nice for some titles, but adding extra cost to an already (IMO) overpriced format is not helpful. Paying twice the SD disk price for a BD disk simply isn't attractive to me. I own a LOT of titles on BD and HD DVD, but I buy the vast majority from a local used disc chain. I typically pay $13.99 for used BD titles. I will not pay $25 plus for most titles.

.... They are shooting themselves in the foot, especially after it has been proven that consumers DO appreciate HD and WILL pay for it. Many people seem to think that twice the price is a little too much to pay for many of the not-exactly-stellar BD releases so far. Especially when the improvements in PQ and audio require an above average set of gear to fully appreciate them.

Wow! With this logic and Vader's take on value we will never see HD take off for Joe 6 pack. First, I fully agree that the Digital copy is usless to us HT buffs- it's for the I-pod Gen Y-ers who don't care about quality. It's VALUE to them that the PURE DVD or pure BD release does NOT offer. Also Joe 6 pack still could give a rat's ass about HD. Until you put the right equipment in their hands. The cost today of BD players and HDTVs REMAINS PROHIBITIVE regardless of software costs.

Second, not including the SD-DVD even if it adds $1-2 to the price is suicide for Disney who is seeking to push BD for those who haven't adopted it or for those who have one BD player and several other DVD players.

Third I disagree about the inclusion of both that and the DVD as having no value to even users who prefer the BD format over DVD. I WOULD PAY more $25-27 for a Three disk set including BD/DVD/Digital. I HATE paying the same price for a TWO disk set with only BD/Digital only copy (THAT EXPIRES anyways) that to me is worth about $20-24 max.

DVD inclusions have added value for OTHER users and the BD owner buyers. I have BD in every room in the house YET I still want the DVD because IT IS ADDED VALUE. It's Genius! Not everyone I know has BD - in fact our circle of about 8 couples only ONE other couple has BD players in their home. 25% saturation is not yet good penetration nearly 3 years into BD. Not one of of those couples that does not have BD is a HT buff. They just don't see any value in HD at all.

BD is NOT the dominant format and with the current financial state of affairs it likely won't be ever. Without Disney and Sony it was headed for electronics hall of fame like the Laser Disc. GO DISNEY with this inclusory trend and marketing of multi-disc sets. If they can get the DVD sale with a BD disc sale and move people to convert that's ultimately good for those of us who care and can see/value/hear/respect the HD benefits. I for one sometimes watch my new BD movies at friend's homes. If they do not have BD and can't afford a new $299+ player than I can't do that? The DVD disk gives me the option to share to socialize with a movie in hand without a 2nd purchase or another rental. That's value for me.

I almost didn't buy KFP (but for Ralph's damn review - thanks Ralph it's a fantastic movie and the review is spot on) because it DID NOT INCLUDE A DVD. It is the same value issue I have with other Dreamworks animated releases.

Now how much is that new Panny portable BD player? $799? Quality product is step one. Disney BD is quality. Value is step two. Disney BD/DVD/Digital Copy is value. Thank you Disney for the extra quality and the extra value.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #29 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Actually, the only reason I bought the blu-ray was because it came with the DVD. We only have a blu-ray player in our theater room (with a projector). If my son wants to view this in the car, in his playroom, or wherever, I now have a dvd copy that will play on a non blu-ray player. (and for only $9.00 more than the plain DVD).

For kids movies, this is a great idea. I fail to see any downside whatsover. How does including a DVD take away from the blu-ray?

Until blu-ray players are everywhere (like DVD players now) -- it makes total sense.
post #30 of 156 Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. ... As has been discussed many times, we (HT enthusiasts) will be lucky if BD stays niche in that it would not cater to the lowest common denominator...

Sorry about diverting this thread off topic. Great review, Ralph! I do hope you are getting commissions for sales, because I will still probably pick this one up (I, too, blind-bought KFP based on your review), though I will be grumbling about it...

Vader:

I have to disagree and agree. If BD stays a niche it will die just like LD did and we'll never see a full catalog of BD releases. Think Starwars. I still have the ORIGINAL un-Lucasized uncircumcized THX LD box set. As much as I would miss the unaltered originals I would love to see them on BD with the HD sound. I passed on the DVDs of them. Without greater Joe 6 pack penetration for BD it's not gonna happen. If it does and the 4th ROTLA is any indication its going to be a boon for the format. Unfortunately Lucas is too greedy, it's good that Disney isn't so selfish.

Slowly but surely LD took hold. It was NEVER mainstream (the size and DVD like CD format players killed it) and I doubt even as accepted as BD is now only three years into the format - at least I don't recall it was. I think the rub is that the Extra DVD in the BD box strategy will expand the format - but hopefully NOT dilute it as you seem to suggest.

I am not one for dimunition of any higher quality format despite your very accurate comments about the general I-pod world. Whatever we can do - buy buy buy BD! - to keep the format alive and DOMINANT is key. Even if that means I spend a bit more for a Digital copy edition of a BD that I will never use.

And as for the off topic - this issue directly relates to most new Disney BD releases. Bring on the comments. Let Disney know how you feel about the GESTALT the whole release including the packaging of extras and discs that unifies the I-poders, the DVD old technolgogy crowd and the BD loving HT buffs.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Bolt Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Bolt by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page