Feature running time: 100 Minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Morris Chestnut, Taraji P. Henson, Maeve Quinlan, Kevin Hart, Wood Harris, Jennifer Lewis
Directed by: Bill Duke
Music by: Kurt Farquhar
Written by: Brian Bird based on the book by T.D Jakes
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 7, 2009

"Three stranded love"

Film Synopsis:

The path of true love never runs smoothly. Just ask Dave and
Clarice Johnson. After many years of marriage, their affection for each other is being severely tested by life. Following a car accident that temporarily sidelines Clarice the couple must come to grips with physical temptations, financial pressures and emotional challenges that threaten their love for each other. Ultimately, they must determine whether or not their vows are easily broken in this soul-stirring film based on the inspirational best-selling novel by T.D. Jakes.

My Take:

Not easily broken is a film based on the book of the same name written by T.D. Jakes. The story offers a fly on the wall perspective of a young couple Dave and Clarice several years after their marriage. They have settled into their lives and have found that their relationship has deteriorated. The things that should be important to them take a back seat to financial status, work, and outside influences. Clarice is a successful realtor and Dave has a struggling handyman business. She is very concerned about appearances and as a result the couple lives just outside of their means which requires long work hours for her. Dave was once a promising baseball prospect but an injury ended his career. He loves kids and coaches a local little league baseball team while dreaming of having kids of his own. Clarice doesn't want children which is a point of contention for them. They spend very little time together and are more like roommates than husband and wife. Clarice suffers a bad leg injury in a car accident and Dave calls in a physical therapist to help with her rehabilitation. She is frustrated and angry and takes it out on Dave. Along with that her outspoken (mostly against Dave) mother moves and just adds tot the tension which drives a wedge further between Dave and Clarice. Dave innocently meets a single mother and finds himself attracted to her and her to him. This along with the other things going on threaten to break the three stranded relationship he vowed to when he married Clarice.

I watched this film with my wife and we both enjoyed it. Its subject matter can easily be related to by most couples. It takes an interesting look at love and relationships and how societal, familial and financial influences can impact them. The cast did a wonderful job. Morris Chestnut not only starred in the movie but also served as Executive Producer. The film isn't perfect but the story is certainly a catalyst for conversation about sustaining marriages/relationships and how easy it is to fall into many of life's routines while unwittingly allowing the erosion of the real reason your together. I think it sends an important and thought provoking message.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual references and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Not easily broken comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

I found this to be an excellent video presentation that had quality which is consistent with today's newer release films that come to Blu-ray Disc. The flashback wedding sequence at the opening has a different look from the rest of the film. Colors are exaggerated and filtering is applied which makes the video appear soft and less delineated. Outside of that colors are cleanly rendered, with bright, inviting primaries and vivid hues that look great. Fleshtones are a little on the warm side but are very natural in appearance. Images are razor sharp with exquisite detail and excellent dimensionality. Blacks are velvety and dynamic with punchy contrast and delineated detail in low lighting and shadows. A light sprinkling of grain gives it a filmic texture that looks superb in high definition. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack features a solid surround mix that capably delivered the elements present in the recording. Dialogue is crisp, well intonated and lucid through the center channel. Sonic detail is rendered with subtle clarity and high fidelity that draws out appreciable subtle nuance. Dynamics are robust and Low frequency effects are used to deliver deep, palpable impact when called for and to add solidity to the film's music. Surround use is limited but when active opens up the soundstage nicely. This is obvious during the swim meet sequence in chapter 12 as the room is transformed into a three dimensional venue filled with cheering people, splashing water and music that is driven by weighty, deep bass energy that slickly accentuates the rhythm.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Making Not easily broken - 13 minute featurette

• 5 Deleted scenes

• (HD) BD Previews - Seven pounds, This Christmas, Hancock, Hitch, and The pursuit of happyness

• BD- Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=137941&d=1238105304

Final Thoughts:

Not easily broken is a character driven drama that makes a point about how we can sometimes lose track of what's really important in our relationships and that cultivation can be essential to them as time goes by. I enjoyed the performances by the cast and thought that it was well done. Its Blu-ray Disc presentation from Sony is excellent although the bonus supplements came up short. Regardless this film is worth checking out with your significant other so when the mood is right give it a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Ralph.

I want to begin by thanking you for all of the bluray reviews you have submitted.
I have followed your review thread since it's inception and I'm always intrigued by your perspective on the movies you review. I try to read all of the reviews, even of movies that I initially have no interest in. I must admit, some of your reviews have actually swayed my initial perception of a plot and opened my mind to see it from another perspective.

That being said, I want to thank you for your review on "Not Easily Broken".
I was pleasantly surprised to see the cover art showcased and the movie reviewed. Not the usual genre/subject matter, if you know what I mean. Many will not relate or want to relate and that's fine, but if anyone is familiar with T.D. Jakes (A well respected Evangelist/author), it's almost a foregone conclusion that the story is going to be very thought provoking and relevant. If one really understands the subject matter, and looks beyond the cover art, they will find that message is universal and a common occurrence in our society.

Thank you Ralph. Your efforts are appreciated more than you know!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had never heard of this movie, but your review has piqued my interest. I have always enjoyed Morris Chestnut, ever since Under Siege 2. Will have to see if I can maybe catch this on TV and see if it warrants a buy...
post #4 of 10 Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw this at the movie theatre and thought it was definitely an awsome movie. The story, plot, actors were all just amazing. Definitely a BR collectors item.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Tyler Perry's work in going from plays to movies has been very good work with quality writing. It fills an area for entertainment drama with values not expressed or seen much in Hollywood these days. No doubt that is contributing to his success.

Thanks for the excellent review.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #6 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Ralph.

I want to begin by thanking you for all of the bluray reviews you have submitted.
I have followed your review thread since it's inception and I'm always intrigued by your perspective on the movies you review. I try to read all of the reviews, even of movies that I initially have no interest in. I must admit, some of your reviews have actually swayed my initial perception of a plot and opened my mind to see it from another perspective.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the cover art showcased and the movie reviewed. Not the usual genre/subject matter, if you know what I mean. Many will not relate or want to relate and that's fine, but if anyone is familiar with T.D. Jakes (A well respected Evangelist/author), it's almost a foregone conclusion that the story is going to be very thought provoking and relevant. If one really understands the subject matter, and looks beyond the cover art, they will find that message is universal and a common occurrence in our society.

Regards.

ditto...
post #7 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Tyler Perry's work in going from plays to movies has been very good work with quality writing. It fills an area for entertainment drama with values not expressed or seen much in Hollywood these days. No doubt that is contributing to his success.

Thanks for the excellent review.

What does Tyler Perry have to do with this film?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Greetings,

Nothing that I am aware of.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Ralph.

Regards.

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed the review..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

My mistake. Thanks for the correction. "Word on the street" so to speak was that Tyler was to work with TD Jakes on this. Taking a closer look now I see that was not the case. The movies are simply from the same sort of 'Gospel' based tradition. TDJ (whose book the movie is evidently based on) has become the 'other' big source for such Hollywood level productions.

Quote:

Among his other achievements, Tyler Perry can be credited for helping create room at the multiplex for Christian-themed, African-American-targeted melodramas. Just as Judd Apatow has made the R-rated comedy fashionable (and profitable) again, Perry has reminded distributors that there's a market for tame, moderately enjoyable message films.

"Not Easily Broken" is the latest movie to benefit from Perry's track record.

From a search I can see the similarities are seen by others.

" Not Easily Broken': A Tyler Perry movie without Tyler Perry ... "

I look forward to the release.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page