Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 115 Minutes
Genre: Dramedy/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Cantonese, Korean, Portuguese
Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson, Eric Dane, Alan Arkin
Directed by: David Frankel
Music by: Theodore Shapiro
Written by: Scott Frank & Don Roos based on the book by John Grogan
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 31, 2009

"Live and love with the world's worst dog"

Film Synopsis:

Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson unleash huge laughs as John and Jenny Grogan, a young couple contemplating the decision to have a baby. Then came Marley...an adorable Labrador pup who flunks obedience school and quickly turns his new home into a disaster area. But as mischievous Marley sees the Grogans through the ups and downs of life and love, they ultimately realize that the world's worst dog truly brings out the best in them.

My Take:

When Marley and me was in theaters I can recall seeing patrons leaving the multiplex in tears (some were literally sobbing). The film is based on the book by John Grogan and as most of us know story's about dogs tend to be tear jerkers and this one is no different. I wouldn't call it a sad movie though because it really celebrates how a rambunctious, lovable canine wreaks havoc on the lives of John and Jenny Grogan while simultaneously establishing an incredible bond of friendship and devotion that makes him and endearing member of their family. Nine times out of ten we as movie fans know how a film like this is going to end but it's what happens in between that provides the connection to the characters that makes it deeply moving. I experienced some of that here but not to the level that I expected. I think part of the reason is that I had heard about and seen the reactions that others had to the film. Second, Marley was such a terror that it was hard at times to believe that any sane person would put up with his antics. Lastly, I like Owen Wilson and own quite a few of his movies but I just didn't find the dramatic aspects of his performance to be engaging. It is important in a movie like this that you are able to enjoy the light, humorous moments and truly feel during the touching ones. This of course has to be felt though the characters. He had no trouble pulling off the comedic aspects but when it came down to an emotional connection that you can feel he just didn't move me. Eric Dane pretty much spent every scene posturing for the camera and the wonderful Alan Arkin didn't have enough of a part. Jennifer Aniston did a wonderful job. I really enjoyed her performance in this film. The film spans 14 years and follows the relationship between Marley and the Grogans. John is a newspaper columnist that ends up writing a popular weekly column that features stories about the couple's life with Marley. There are some memorable moments in the film. One features Kathleen Turner as a dog trainer who tries to wrangler Marley (priceless). Most of them portray his mischievous side with not enough said about his positive attributes. One scene involving an attack on the Grogan's neighbor was edited and the part where Marley tracks down and corners her assailant for the police was cut out (no idea why). Marley has his moments but he sees the Grogans at their best and worst but loves them unconditionally.

Twenty two dogs were used in the production. There was one primary dog named Clyde who portrayed Marley for most of the film and there were two others Rudy and Jonah used to fill in for him when other talents were needed. The awww (meaning cute) factor ran high quite often but watching the bonus features I could see where owning a dog of this size and energy could be lots of work and require even more patience. Marley and me is a fun and touching family film that can be enjoyed by all but will probably be better appreciated by dog lovers. It's easy to understand how a dog like Marley can come to mean so much to those who love him.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for Thematic material, some suggestive content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Marley and me comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

This high definition video presentation looked great and boasted an extensive palette of rich, vibrant colors with deep eye popping primaries that jumped off of the screen. Fleshtones had a balmy quality and copper toned complexions that offered little variety. Elevated contrast added pop to colors and dynamic highlights to the sun drenched exterior sequences without completely white washing them. Resolution was excellent as images had crisp definition, revealing subtle delineation, and definitive long range visual acuity. Blacks were strong and depth of field in shadows and low lighting was appreciable. Sharpness fluctuated during a handful of shots but otherwise remained stable. I didn't notice any compression errors associated with the encoding and thought that this was a solid effort from Fox. The multi-channel lossless audio won't test the limits of your surround sound system but it capably delivered the elements present in this soundtrack. Dialogue was tonally rich with excellent room penetration and defining clarity. Dynamics were punchy and bass response was appropriate and provided extension of the main channels that predominantly came in support of the music score. The front channels handled the bulk of the audio and presented a wide two dimensional soundstage with the surrounds supplying ambience detail that added depth. I thought the mix mated very well with the source material and sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 19 Deleted scenes with optional commentary

• (HD) Finding Marley - 8 minute featurette focuses on the dogs used to play Marley

• (HD) Breaking the golden rule - 8 minute featurette - The cast discusses what it was like working with the dogs

• (HD) On the set with Marley: A Dog of all trades - A look at things from Marley's point of view

• (HD) Animal adoption - 5 minute feature

• (HD) 5 minute Gag reel

• (HD) When not to pee - 2 minutes of outtakes with running director commentary

• Dog training trivia track - BonusView PiP interactive pop-up feature

• Bonus Disc - Standard definition DVD of Marley and me

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

Final Thoughts:

I liked Marley and me. It isn't a perfect film but it succeeds where it counts as it portrays the bond of friendship, love, and devotion that can conjoin dogs and people. Its Blu-ray presentation from Fox is a good one and fans are sure to appreciate the pooch friendly bonus supplements which include Blu-ray Disc exclusives, a Digital Copy Bonus disc and the DVD. If you are a fan or a dog lover this set is worth adding to your collection. Otherwise I would recommend giving a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph.

Looking forward to this one for personal reasons.

I have not read the book but it is easy to figure out how this goes.

I had my own "Marley" named Max. He was a Choclate Lab and I was blessed with him for eight years until Cancer took him from us.

Boy was he a handfull at times. Labs love to dig very very deep holes in the backyard to lounge in the daytime sun. I used to get so pissed.

Not to mention his uncanny ability to open pantry doors and get into the food.

Then there were times on the beach with the Family and all of that other stuff was unimportant...
Labs are trully one of the great breeds.

Looking forward to this one....

Rick
post #3 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this movie when it first came out and thought it was an ok movie.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I want this disc so badly cause I am a dog lover,but I don't know why must be too many discs for 3,this issue did the cost per BD higher,instead it's shoud be,and again,Thanks for review,my dear,Ralph.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Liked: 29
sorry, i just have zero interest in this one.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I read the book, and as a dog lover, that was heartbreaking enough...i don't need to see it on the screen
post #6 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Will get mine tomorrow,thank again.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

sorry, i just have zero interest in this one.
Spoiler  
I read the book, and as a dog lover, that was heartbreaking enough...i don't need to see it on the screen

Greetings,

I can absolutely understand...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I can absolutely understand...

Regards,

Me too!...
I lost my 10 y/o Rottweiler, Naya a few months back from cancer. I probably will never watch the movie or read the book...dont think I could handle it.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
post #10 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

can't comment on the movie....but the book, definitely
post #11 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched this film and then,I love my dogs even more.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished watching this with the wife... I've never read the book so I thought it was going to be a cheesy comedy, I was not expecting it to be so sad.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 AM

This was a tough one for me and my wife to get through.

To quote John Winger.........

"Who saw Old Yeller? Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?
post #14 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I have a Sony BDP S350 with firmware .15 release (I think its the latest), and it wont play Marley and Me Blu Ray. I've tried two discs from Netflix

Has anyone else had this problem?

Paul
post #15 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Spoiler  
Sad? Yeah, it was a little sad, but this happens all the time! Maybe it wasn't as sad for me because so many people told me it is a sad movie before I watched it. I thought a person was going to die by the way they talked about the movie. I thought Jennifer Aniston was going to die in childbirth or something serious. Sure, a dog dying is sad, but it's expected when you buy a dog that you are going to outlive it. I love dogs, and have had my dogs die of old age. It's sad, but I enjoyed the movie very much for other reasons. I loved the realistic nature of their married life, work life, life choices, and how hard it is sometimes with kids.

I thought the film was a 4 out of 5. PQ 4.5 out of 5

Dan
post #16 of 18 Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Having two yellow Labs in a row for the last 16 years of my life made the book an obvious read. It's an excellent book that's well written and I felt very connected to the family and Marley, a definite read for any dog lover. When I saw the first trailer late last summer I thought, oh-oh, this looks lame. I skipped it at the cinema but picked up the Blu-ray as a rental and liked it much more than I thought I would. Excellent quality Blu ray and a pretty good movie. As much as I ended up liking the movie it's not a purchase for me because I can't put myself through watching the film again (or re-reading the book) for obvious reasons. I could tell different "adult" Labs were used too, I'm sure most Lab owners could also, but that's forgivable
Anyway, it's an entertaining movie for adults and kids alike, with a great blu-ray transfer and the bonus materials were decent too.
If you like the movie, you'll love the book.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Watched this on the weekend. Good movie, but I was under the mistaken impression from some of the advertisements I saw that this was a comedy. While it had a few laughs at the beginning the ending was super depressing. We recently lost our hound and my wife couldn't stop crying for the last half hour of the movie (not sentimental movie crying, but full on sadness). Good movie, but they should have left any claim of comedic premise out of the trailers IMO.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Saw this movie when it first came out and thought it was an ok movie. [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif[/IMG]

Saw this with my girlfriend. She's a fan, so I had to get it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page