Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Viola Davis
Written & Directed by: John Patrick Shanley
Music by: Howard Shore
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 7, 2009

"Doubt can be a bond as powerful and sustaining as certainty"

Film Synopsis:

Set in 1964 at St. Nicholas Church in the Bronx, Fr. Brendan Flynn's (Philip Seymour Hoffman) progressive views and charismatic presence have won him the respect and admiration of the congregation. At the parish school, principal Sister Aloysius Beauvier (Meryl Streep) keeps her students in line with old-fashioned fear and intimidation. When young Sister James (Amy Adams) shares with Sister Aloysius her concern that that Father Flynn has "taken an interest" in twelve-year-old Donald Miller (Joseph Foster), the school's "first Negro student," the older nun launches her own investigation. Determined to protect every one of her charges, Sister Aloysius attempts to use the evidence she discovers to have Flynn removed from the school. John Patrick Shanley's finely shaded script takes audiences through a spectrum of truth, emotion and belief, and asks if any decision is ever free from doubt.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=138434&d=1238524686

Doubt is a powerful film that touches on the subjects of morality, judgment, compassion, truth, authority, and abuse. The film is based on the stage production and focuses on the question of a relationship between a priest and a 12 year old student. The story is set in 1964 in a small parochial school that is attached to an inner city parish that is predominantly Irish/Italian. The boy, Donald Miller, is the school's first black student. The school is run by the Sisters of Charity who are lead by its principal Sister Aloysius (Streep). She is a stern disciplinarian who rules with an iron fist. For the students and faculty there is no question with respect to her authority. Donald's teacher is a young nun by the name of Sister James (Adams). She is a little naïve but knows and cares about her students. She is honest, compassionate, and forward thinking (as much as she can be) in her approach to teaching.

Father Flynn (Hoffman) is the parish chaplain and teaches at the school. As such he is above Sister Aloysius in the hierarchy and answers to the local monsignor. Donald is an alter server at Sunday mass and does pretty well in school. There doesn't appear to be any obvious repercussions from his enrollment at the school. He and Father Flynn seem to have formed a bit of a bond and he confides in him that he would someday like to become a priest. Father Flynn gives him a small magnetic toy/trinket and genuinely seems to care about Donald. One day Donald is called from class to go to the rectory to meet with Father Flynn. He returns later and Sister James notices that he appears to be acting differently. A week later she informs Sister Aloysius of the occurrence and that she feels that something isn't right. Sister Aloysius chastises her for not coming forward immediately. She tells Sister James that she suspected that there was something about Father Flynn and that he is probably targeting Donald because he is a loner and easy prey. Sister James seems shocked by what Sister Aloysius implies might be going on and suggests that they ask Father Flynn because there is probably a simple explanation. They approach him regarding the matter and Father Flynn is reluctant to divulge the reason for the meeting. This further incites Sister Aloysius and she begins a fervent campaign to expose the truth and rid the school of Father Flynn.

This is the crux of the conflict in the story. As it plays out there are little ambiguous clues that could be considered evidence on either side of the equation. Sister James is sort of caught in middle and would rather believe that this is a huge misunderstanding but she can't deny what she saw or the certainty projected by Sister Aloysius who seems to speak from experience. The reason for the meeting is soon revealed which leads to further questions which could have serious consequences for Donald. Sister Aloysius must decide between his best interests and those of the school as she attempts to expose what truly happened. Before it is over she will find that doubt can be a bond as powerful and sustaining as certainty.

This film is truly a character study that examines how life's experiences can leave an indelible mark that forever effects are perceptions of others. The story ultimately leaves the decision about what happened up to the viewer. I found that to be a little unsatisfying but ultimately interesting and thought provoking. The performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, and Viola Davis were marvelous. Davis really had only one scene but it was truly impressive to watch. Meryl Streep was simply a cut above. Every time she was onscreen I found myself transfixed as her presence commanded your attention. The scene where she confronts Father Flynn was riveting. The film's stage based roots were apparent as the sets were few and the number of players limited but it fit perfectly. The story certainly offers much food for thought on a number of levels and is one of the best (if not THE best) dramas of the year.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some material that may be inappropriate for children under 13.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=138436&d=1238524686

Doubt comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Buena Vista featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

Here is another solid high definition video presentation from Disney. Images are exquisitely detailed, with deep, gradational blacks and strong contrast that enhances the film's elements. The bright green vestments worn by Father Flynn had a vivid, luminous quality that stood out in stark contrast against the majority of the period clothing used in the film which didn't offer much in the way of bright colors. The sepia and neutral tones in the interior of the school and church are rendered cleanly and look quite natural. Flesh tones have excellent tonal delineation, with the fairer complexions appearing just shy of ashen. This was apparently intentional to depict the lack of sun exposure by the nuns and clergy as well the fact that the story takes place during the cold weather months. Resolution is excellent as images have a visually satisfying and crisp three dimensional quality that enhances perception in both close ups and wide angle camera pans. Sharpness is rarely called into question and any subtle variations appear innate to the photography rather related to the encoding. I saw no signs of video related anomalies or artifacts.

This film relies heavily on the spoken word and the DTS-HD MA soundtrack handled it with crystalline articulation and descriptive intonation that allowed even minute changes in vocal inflection to be discernible. The presentation maintained a frontal perspective but broadened occasionally to effectively simulate a driving rain storm or the open echoed expanse of the church. Dynamics were noteworthy as evidenced by the depth of the aforementioned storm, the palpable intensity of raised voices or the strength derived from Howard Shore's music. The fidelity inherent in the recording appeared intact as the soundtrack had excellent tonal balance, defining clarity, and high level detail that enhanced auricular minutia.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Director John Patrick Shanley

• (HD) The cast of Doubt - A discussions with Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Viola Davis and Philip Seymour Hoffman - 14 minutes

• (HD) Scoring Doubt - A discussion with composer Howard Shore - 4 minutes

• (HD) From stage to screen - The cast, crew and technical advisors discuss making the film - 19 minutes

• (HD) The Sisters of Charity - 6 minute documentary hosted by Meryl Streep and John Patrick Shanley
attachment.php?attachmentid=138435&d=1238524686

Final Thoughts:

Doubt is a memorable film not only because of its subject matter but because of its well written screenplay and powerfully portrayed characters. It is a film that is worth revisiting as it contains enough open interpretation, ambiguity, subtle humor and superb acting to provide plenty of food for discussion and debate. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Buena Vista offers excellent high definition audio/video quality and an average set of bonus features that left me wanting. I suspect that we will see a collector's edition release in the future that will offer a more comprehensive set of bonus supplements. In the meantime this is a highly recommended film that looks and sounds great on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank,Ralph,for this nice review,just recieved yesterday.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely loved this movie, thanks for the review. [IMG]http://nopollution.info/hosted/img/3044************************[/IMG]
post #4 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I already watched this movie"DOUBT",without doubtful,this movie was great and deserved for Oscar'nominee.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this was an awsome movie. Cast and storyline was well delivered. Copy should be here soon.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Thanks to Ralph for his review of this terrific film. Doubt is wonderful, one of the best, and certainly the most thoughtful movies, I have seen in the past year. It is filled with questions and doubt, questions and doubt that are never really resolved, at least not to my mind.

The film is set in the Bronx, New York in 1964. The issue is whether the allegation that a priest sexually abused a 12 year old boy are true. The allegation was made by a parochial school principal, Sister Aloysius (Meryl Streep), against the parish priest, Father Flynn (Philip Seymour Hoffman).

What is most disturbing about the film is that, despite Sister Aloysius' failure to present any real evidence against Father Flynn, what we have learned in recent years about the widespread sexual abuse of young boys by priests raises suspicion in our minds, too. Ultimately, suspicion is all there is because no definitive proof of wrongdoing is ever offered. Thus, the movie is perfectly named, "Doubt" because, at the end, doubt is all we have left.

Highly, highly recommended.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
All you need to know about this one is "Streep and Seymour-Hoffman". If someone asked me to pick the top female and male character actors of their generations, these two would be at the top of my list. They don't disappoint, either...the scenes were they are engaged with one another are spectacular. Add to that a smart, well-adapted screenplay, an interesting and pertinent story, and some solid supporting actors, and you have for a very good film.

BTW, just cause I'm a huge PSH fan and I like to promote one of his lesser known films, I highly recommend checking out "Love Liza". It ranks up there with some of his best work, and to this day I'm truly amazed at the performance he gave.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Watched this last night and thought this was a GREAT film. The acting is superb.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 18 Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Simply outstanding and very reminiscent of my times in parochial elementary school, circa mid 50's-early 60's. Priests, nuns as well were most trusted and with the exception of a few "Sister James", fear was the prevailing order of the day.

While it did not bother me that the viewer was left to form his/her own opinion, I felt Doubt was too short........I wanted more.

The overall acting was superb, but Streep and Hoffman onscreen together were simply amazing! The PQ was very good and the audio did what it was supposed to do.......allow you to easily hear the story unfold. I was so engrossed in the dialogue, I had to try to hear the ambient sounds when they came into play.

I thought Doubt was terrific and will definitely re-watch it in the near future.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #10 of 18 Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Simply outstanding and very reminiscent of my times in parochial elementary school, circa mid 50's-early 60's. Priests, nuns as well were most trusted and with the exception of a few "Sister James", fear was the prevailing order of the day.

While it did not bother me that the viewer was left to form his/her own opinion, I felt Doubt was too short........I wanted more.

The overall acting was superb, but Streep and Hoffman onscreen together were simply amazing! The PQ was very good and the audio did what it was supposed to do.......allow you to easily hear the story unfold. I was so engrossed in the dialogue, I had to try to hear the ambient sounds when they came into play.

I thought Doubt was terrific and will definitely re-watch it in the near future.

I did not attend a parochial school but many of my friends did. When I saw Meryl Streep's Sister Aloysius I thought of my friends many tales of scary, knuckle rapping old sisters.

After I watched the Doubt BD I went back and watched it again, this time with the audio commentary by its director, John Patrick Shanley. Shanley said that he had written a back story for Father Flynn, which told me that Shanley had a point of view about Father Flynn's guilt or innocence. Shanley explained that he shared the back story with Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played Father Flynn, but not with Meryl Streep. He also made clear that he would never divulge what the back story was. Fascinating stuff. I REALLY liked this film, although I had feared I would not.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

i did not attend a parochial school but many of my friends did. when i saw meryl streep's sister aloysius i thought of my friends many tales of scary, knuckle rapping old sisters.

Knuckle rapping was just the tip of the iceberg. If you chewed gum in class, you wore it on your nose. If you were a boy "annoying" the girls, you wore a ribbon in your hair.

As for the more physical punishments, there was either the famous earpull, or the "deadly" two hand face slap. Reminded me of a Three Stooges skit.

Thinking back on Doubt now, the one thing I found a bit questionable was just how bold Streep's character was with Father Flynn. Realistically, I just don't think a nun, even a "Mother Superior" nun would have been that aggressive towards a priest. When you also factor in the place of male/female for that time period, it seems all the more stretched.

Regardless, I still thought Doubt was excellent. And as mentioned in my previous post, I will watch it again.

Btw, very interesting stuff regarding the director's audio commentary. I will turn it on the next time I watch it.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #12 of 18 Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the story, and could relate, I went to parochial school in an almost all-Catholic town in the 70s up until about fourth grade...and heaven help you if you pissed off Father Linebacker or Sister Mary Slapshot back in the day. (I got the ruler across the face once, for talking back to a mean old nun, not just on the knuckles) And if you did, you CERTAINLY didn't go home and tell mom or dad, 'cause they'd give you much worse. They figured those nuns and priests did it for good reason. It reminds me of how things have turned around 180 degrees now in school. While I don't condone the abuse many of us had to take back then...could you imagine any teacher disciplining kids like that these days? The kid would be on his cell phone to his parents and lawyer in the blink of an eye!

Sorry for the OT...the movie had some interesting twists for me, something I wouldn't have expected regarding the boy's mother, so I liked that. I do think Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour-Hoffman are talented...I just felt he looked awkward with his ready-to-cry-if-not-already-crying look in some of his scenes with her. In his confrontations with her, she would be the one near or in tears, not him, as another poster pointed out...the way the hierarchy was in the church and those schools.

As far as the PQ/AQ are concerned, I agree with the ratings...not bad, but nothing spectacular either. I don't believe it's because of the format or the transfer, it's just the way it was made as a subdued title. And I think its style of being made lent itself brilliantly to the subject matter.

I'd recommend it to anyone, not just those who grew up Catholic.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Thinking back on Doubt now, the one thing I found a bit questionable was just how bold Streep's character was with Father Flynn. Realistically, I just don't think a nun, even a "Mother Superior" nun would have been that aggressive towards a priest. When you also factor in the place of male/female for that time period, it seems all the more stretched.

I ended up buying Sister Aloysius' decision to try to get Father Flynn removed for several reasons. First, something Sister Aloysius said to Sister James left me with impression that she thought she was smarter, not to mention purer, than the priests. She may have been right. Second, she thought that attacking Father Flynn might imperil her immortal soul but she was willing to do it because (paraphrase) "Sometimes one must step away from God in pursuit of justice." And finally, "I have doubts, I have such doubts!" Just thinking about all of that again raises the hair on the back of my neck.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

And finally, "I have doubts, I have such doubts!" Just thinking about all of that again raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Same here....the contrast between her character in the final scene of the film vs. her character up to that point was quite intense. The more I think back on this film,the more I like it.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Good review. [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG] I have already seen it a couple of times with my bros.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM

<"Knuckle rapping was just the tip of the iceberg. If you chewed gum in class, you wore it on your nose. If you were a boy "annoying" the girls, you wore a ribbon in your hair. ">

And if you were a boy going to an all-boys' school run by brothers, you might get thrown across a couple of desks if you were a miscreant!

It's probably tacky to say, but I always considered that "brothers" were wanna-be priests who just didn't have the "b..ls!"

That being said, "Doubt" is one superb film that honors its stage roots well.
The entire main cast was certainly Oscar-worthy!
post #17 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 PM

A great film and great review.

Thanks!

post #18 of 18 Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just watched Doubt tonight.
I just found the movie entirely captivating the entire time.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I suppose this is a spoiler alert, but whatever.....I'm still not sure who I believe...... The Dragon or the Priest. It's obvious that the Priest has a past....but that doesn't mean he's done anything wrong.

Really just a thought provoking and wonderfully made movie.

By they way, on the subject of acting....Meryl was WAY better than Kate (The Reader).
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page