Feature running time: 96 Minutes
Genre: Teen Dramedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Tim Meadows, Lacey Chabert, Ana Gasteyer, Lizzy Kaplan, Tina Fey
Directed by: Mark Waters
Music by: Rolfe Kent
Written by: Tina Fey
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 14, 2009

"Welcome to girl world"

Film Synopsis:

Raised in the African bush country by her zoologist parents, Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) thinks she knows about "survival of the fittest." But the law of the jungle takes on a whole new meaning when the home-schooled 15-year-old enters public high school for the first time and falls prey to the psychological warfare and unwritten social rules that teenage girls face today.

My Take:

Mean girls on its surface would appear to be another typical teen bad girl genre flick and to an extent it is. Cady (pronounced Katie) played by Lindsey Lohan, arrives at a new high school as a junior having never set foot in a traditional school. She lived with her parents in Africa and has been home schooled for the past 10 years. She is unassuming, pretty, and smart which makes her perfect folly for the school's current regime of plastics. The term refers to Barbie Doll types who live by a set of standards that no one outside of their click is able to aspire to let alone actually achieve. The three Plastics are lead by Regina George (Rachel McAdams) who seems to have the entire school wrapped around her little finger. Her cohorts are Gretchen (Lacey Chabert) and Karen (Amanda Seyfried) who basically do very little without Regina's say so. There are your basic run of the mill clicks, such as the burnouts, nerds, jocks, and outcasts. Cady has absolutely zero knowledge about such things and manages to make friends with Damian and Janis who fall into the outcast group (although I am not sure that they would admit that). She is stopped in the cafeteria one day by the Plastics one day after Regina decides to introduce herself and size Cady up. It initially appears as a ruse but Regina and the other girls seem to feel that Cady may fit into their group. They give her a brief tutorial on appropriate attire, etiquette and the group dynamic. Janis has a history with Regina and sees this as an opportunity to get some inside dope on her that may provide ammunition for payback. She encourages Cady to go along with them and see what she can learn. In the meantime Cady develops a crush on a senior by the name of Aaron, who sits in front of her in math class. When she shares this with Gretchen, she is told that Aaron is off limits because he used to date Regina. Gretchen vows never to tell Regina but of course she does. Regina offers to help Cady by talking to Aaron for her. Cady accepts and feels that all the negative things she has heard from Janis and others about Regina must be exaggerated. She finds herself falling more into the click with the Plastics and spending less time with Janis and Damian.

This is where I thought the story took an interesting turn. Rather then simply going for the traditional bad things happen for Cady and her ultimately getting even and teaching the Mean Girls a lesson, it blurs the lines with a bit of role reversal. As things play out there is a fair amount of Mean' being spread around which falls outside of the lines drawn by the Plastics. Cady comes full circle as she comes to understand what it means to live by the rules governing friendship, loyalty, relationships with boys, and the damage caused by rumors. It examines some of the pitfalls of the desire for teenage peer acceptance and the consequences that can result from poor judgment. I think that its message is positive and reflects that it is best to be yourself. Tina Fey's screenplay was quite good. I got a kick out of the sequences involving Cady's imaginary comparisons of the school kids to African animals (which came complete with sound effects). The dialogue was smart, and witty but not overly laden with teenage colloquialisms. The cast was well placed. I thought that the Plastics in there entirety were excellent. It seems like yesterday I was watching Lacey Chabert as an adolescent on Fox's Party of five and now she is this hot 26 year old? Rachel McAdams needs no introduction and Amanda Seyfried appears to be as busy as ever after starring in last years Mamma Mia. I like Lizzy Caplan and have seen her in a few TV series and films but she hasn't achieved the level of success that is indicative of her talent. Hopefully we will see more from her. The fact that this was a Lorne Michaels production came as no surprise with the presence of SNL Alum's Amy Poehler, Tim Meadows and of course Tina Fey. I enjoyed Mean girls and thought that its take on the teen queen genre was a good one.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, language, and some teen partying.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Mean girls comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

This is a nice looking catalog title that doesn't quite compare to the best catalog releases I have seen on Blu-ray. It boasts clean, well depicted colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that mate well with the source material. High definition resolution is above average with consistently sharp images and varying degrees of fine rendering that appear scene dependent. Black and white levels are stable which gives a fair amount of pop to colors and brighter sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking punchy with visible gradational highlights. Grain is intact and moderate in texture which gives the video an appreciable filmic quality. I noticed some low level digital noise that was visible on a few dark backgrounds but all in all the encoding looked solid. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack delivered crisp, full bodied dialogue in a mostly frontal presentation that offered splashes of musical ambience through the surround channels. Bass mixed to the LFE channel provided tepid but detectable low frequency emphasis in support of the pop music featured in the movie. The blend of music, voices and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with excellent clarity, limited but fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the elements in the recording sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by Director Mark Waters, Writer/Actor Tina Fey, and Producer Lorne Michaels

• Featurettes:

1. Only the strong survive - 24 minutes
    2. The politics of girl world - 10 minutes
    3. Plastic fashion - 10 minutes

• Word vomit - outtakes/bloopers - 5 minutes

• Interstitials - Promo shorts:

1. Frenemies
    2. New girl
    3. PSA

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Mean girls is a spirited, funny and well constructed film that adds a new flavor to an old theme. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it has something to offer that I found enjoyable. Its release on Blu-ray disc from Paramount is a good one. Audio/video quality is solid and the fan friendly bonus features were fun. If you like genre flicks like this and haven't seen it I would recommend that you give it a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow... the video bitrate is up there. However, it still only scored an 80? GI=GO!

This is actually one of this decade's classic teen films.

Thanks for the review, Ralph.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
"Amanda Seyfried appears to be as busy as ever after starring in last years Mamma Mia."

Mean Girls came out long before Mamma Mia was even filmed!
post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.pod@verizon.n View Post

"Amanda Seyfried appears to be as busy as ever after starring in last years Mamma Mia."

Mean Girls came out long before Mamma Mia was even filmed!

Greetings

I am aware of that. Point being that her career is blossoming...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely one of the funnier teen movies out there. Almost kind of like Teen Wolf.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review,Ralph,definitely not for me,a dvd was enough.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very well done film. Before Lohan turned into a total train wreck of a human being. Great, funny film - and guys, it IS watchable by men. Not a chick flick or girl flick - just a good one.

This and The Hot Chick are teenage girl angst chuckle fun in my household...
post #8 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I was forced to watch this with my niece when it first came out on DVD, and I thought it was pretty good, much better than I was expecting. Some people told me it would be like Heathers, but Heathers was a very dark and acidic dig at the genre. This movie was more of a goof, like 16 Candles.

There were quite a few chuckle-worthy lines and slaplstick moments, but my favorite was near the beginning, when some random jock, trying to pick on the tough "artsy" girl says:

"Nice wig, Janice! What's it made of?"

And she says: "Your mom's chest hair!!...Hi, I'm Janice."

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 109
There was a message in this film?

I must've missed it. Not surprising how I was continually distracted by Lindsay Lohan's complete and utter world-shattering HOTNESS in this film. Too bad she looks like $2 crack-ho nowadays.

Makes me sad.

Doubt I ever pick this up in Blu Ray, but I wouldn't mind a cheap DVD version.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Not surprising how I was continually distracted by Lindsay Lohan's complete and utter world-shattering HOTNESS in this film.

Agreed... she was in top form.

Quote:

Too bad she looks like $2 crack-ho nowadays.

Lemme check... yep, I have $2...

Quote:

Doubt I ever pick this up in Blu Ray, but I wouldn't mind a cheap DVD version.

There will be a gently used one cheap in Frisco, TX as soon as this is released on BD...
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM

lol, actually one of my wife's favorites...

Guess I will have to get it now..
post #12 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM

LOL, I remember watching this movie with my sister and her friends. What was I thinking?? Oh wait, all the girls in the movie are only a year or two younger then me.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbxtechguru View Post

Same here, Based on the great Review Ralph, I have decided to just stick with DVD.

I'm waffling. With all due respect to Ralph and his evaluation, I thought the disc looked relatively dreadful, especially given how recent the source material is. The resolution was abysmal and the colors were painfully contrasty.

The DVD exhibited the same deficiencies, albeit in SD. This is one of the very rare instances where I'll probably be sticking with the DVD; the difference will be marginal.

Blu-Ray: 489
HD DVD: 187
post #14 of 16 Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been a fan of Tina Fey since her arrival on SNL. Her writing is always top shelf. I would not normally rent this type of movie unless there was some compelling force behind it and Fey is definitely compelling in all her various efforts. So even though I would not buy this one I would still recommend it. And 30 Rock rocks! Go Tina Fey!

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #15 of 16 Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Though the girls are likely all over 18 years of age, I felt dirty watching this; I never want to see it again....

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #16 of 16 Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I loved this movie. It was fresh and fun. And yes, Lohan was hot is this. Too bad she is just a shell of a person now.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page