Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 1999
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Starring: Craig Bierko, Gretchen Mol, Vincent D'Onofrio, Dennis Haysbert, Armin Mueller-Stahl
Directed by: Josef Rusnak
Music by: Harald Kloser
Written by: Josef Rusnak & Ravel Centeno-Rodriguez
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 14, 2009

"You can go there even though it doesn't exist"

Film Synopsis:

The barriers that separate fantasy from reality are shattered in this stylish, mind-jarring thriller, where two parallel worlds collide in a paroxysm of deception, madness and murder. On the thirteenth floor of a corporate tower, high-tech visionary Douglas Hall (Craig Bierko, The Long Kiss Goodnight) and his high-strung colleague, Whitney (Vincent D'Onofrio, Men In Black), have opened the door to an amazing virtual world - circa 1937 Los Angeles. But when the powerful leader of their secret project (Armin Mueller-Stahl, Shine, The X-Files) is discovered slashed to death, Hall himself becomes the prime suspect. Arriving from Paris is the beautiful and mysterious Jane Fuller (Gretchen Mol, Rounders), claiming to be the murder victim's daughter. Her instant, magnetic attraction to Hall only further blurs the lines of what is real. Is he the killer? Is the inscrutable Jane somehow connected? To find the answers, Hall must cross the boundaries into the simulated reality he has helped create - and confront the astonishing truth about his own existence.

My Take:

The thirteenth floor is a sci-fi thriller about an experiment gone awry, resulting in a murder mystery that veers between 1937 Los Angeles and the present day. It offers a look at reality versus manipulated perception, where one is forced to question everything. I thought that this had an interesting concept and really liked the story's suspense in the beginning. It had kind of a Matrix meets the Twilight Zone premise which in and of itself worked because there were unanswered questions that had intriguing potential. Once things were revealed the story fell into a quagmire of contrivable situations that left it feeling unoriginal and average. The cast was solid and I loved the look of the film, especially the 1937 set pieces. As a Sci-Fi based thriller that was released in 1999 it probably had more impact at that time than it would of today. Perhaps if I had seen it then I would have felt more of a connection to it. Having seen The Matrix first, a film like this which follows a similar premise, feels like a bit of an afterthought that just didn't compare.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, some sensuality and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The thirteenth floor comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

This is a dark film that makes use of sepia tones, deep grays and occasional splashes of color. Colors are cleanly rendered with natural looking tones that are well balanced. Many of the low lit interior sequences are gloomy and hazy which tends to highlight film grain. Resolution is good but sharpness is inconsistent which at times results in the video having a dull, flat finish. Blacks are deep but not gradationally satisfying. Detail in low lighting and dark backgrounds are on the murky side which leaves much of the film lacking good dimensional perspective. Other than some minor banding I didn't see any obvious signs of video related artifacts. Technically this presentation wasn't bad but overall I found it to be unremarkable. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack was similar in that it sounded okay but offered little to make it standout. Dialogue was intelligible but lacked the prominence necessary to make it defining during audibly busier scenes. The surround mix was fairly active and contained a host of atmospheric and discretely placed sounds that moved throughout the soundfield. The music score is neatly infused with the audio and remains distinct but never overzealous within the mix. Low frequency effects are prevalent and palpable with notable response that is sometimes lacking in articulation/quickness. I enjoyed the audio presentation overall but felt that the mix was a bit exaggerated and didn't positively gel with the source material.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Co-writer/Director Josef Rusnak and Production designer Kirk M. Petrucelli

• Music video - Erase/rewind by The Cardigans

• (HD) 4 BD previews

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=138977&d=1239020641

Final Thoughts:

The thirteenth floor is a futuristic sci-fi thriller that has a decent premise but was ultimately beaten to the punch by a better executed film in The Matrix. The uneven story started strong but didn't finish the same way which was a shame because I liked where it was going initially. Its high definition debut from Sony isn't among their best catalog releases on Blu-ray and the bonus content doesn't offer much. If you're a fan I would recommend you rent this before purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love these kinds of movies! Sci-fi thriller/suspense. This kind of reminds me of Timecop with Jean Claude.

Definitely getting this one.

Thanks again for the review Ralph.

Cheers
post #3 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Personally, I disagree, I thought this was much better executed than the Matrix (which is still one of my top movies). Though they have similar concepts... sort of... I see this as more of a noir-ish type movie that makes you think, whereas the Matrix took the concept and made it into an action movie.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This movie is KILLING Timecop - and I liked Timecop. When I first watched I really enjoyed the various twists and turns... enjoyed the cast thoroughly, really liked Craig Bierko in this.

Film deserves more than two yellow dots... definitely more. If the drek of Transporter 3 can get two and a half dots, I have give 13th floor three and a half yellow dots easy.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This movie was my favorite as a dvd,why not for BD,will pick this one,Thanks,Ralph.
post #6 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

This movie was the very first dvd I watched. I remember at the time thinking that dvd didn't look much better than vhs! haha

But still it boggles my mind that in such a short time (compared to how long vhs was around) I would read a review of the movie in a superior format.

It's funny that three virtual reality movies would be released in the same year. I think that eXistenZ is the most thought provoking one, but only The Matrix really achieved popularity.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM

One of my favorite movies....so glad it is finally on Bluray! [IMG]http://nopollution.info/hosted/img/3044************************[/IMG]
post #8 of 37 Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM

I'm in agreement with everyone. I really enjoyed this movie. It definitely deserves more than 2 dots. I have the dvd but I would consider getting the blu-ray.

Sunny Surrey, B.C. Canada
post #9 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

Thanks for the input everyone. This one didn't work for me but variety is what makes the world go around..

Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 AM

the promo video on mtv in europe was HIM - Join Me.
post #11 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Liked: 12
2 stars? seriously? after all these movies you've been giving 4 or even 5 stars to and then this movie gets 2. I feel like I've been sucked into a vortex and ended up in bizzaro world.
post #12 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, Ralph gave his mea culpa, sometimes folks just don't like something. Nice to see everyone come to the defense of this movie, it really is one of the better films most people haven't heard of...
post #13 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masako View Post

I agree, and I used to love the heck out of this movie in particular; it's right up there with Dark City for me. I'll have to give this another watch.

Dark City is a cult classic! It's almost like The Truman show except more mysterious and Dark. lol
post #14 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Thanks for the review as I was wondering what the pq/sq might be like. Good to know that it appears both are decent.

I loved this movie and I could see how first seeing this after the Matrix may leave you a bit underwhelmed since they came out around the same time so this could seem more like a been there done that thing 10 years later.

ROB
post #15 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

2 stars? seriously? after all these movies you've been giving 4 or even 5 stars to and then this movie gets 2. I feel like I've been sucked into a vortex and ended up in bizzaro world.

Greetings,

Get a grip gnj1958. If you like this film I can appreciate that but a general statement about other films that have gotten higher ratings is inflammatory and unneccessary. Everyone's take on a particular movie is purely subjective and should be viewed with that in mind. If you have something constructive to offer please feel free. Do me a favor and save your rhetoric as it is neither appreciated or constructive.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM

13th Floor rules. IMO its more like 3.5 -4 dots.

Keep up the good work with the reviews, BTW.
post #17 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Get a grip gnj1958. If you like this film I can appreciate that but a general statement about other films that have gotten higher ratings is inflammatory and unneccessary. Everyone's take on a particular movie is purely subjective and should be viewed with that in mind. If you have something constructive to offer please feel free. Do me a favor and save your rhetoric as it is neither appreciated or constructive.

Regards,

Woah steady on there Ralph. My comments were meant as a lighthearted view of your rating system. Your lower rating ,it seems to me anyway, is based on nothing other than the fact that you hadn't seen the movie before and comparing it to the Matrix you found it underwhelming. Most of your comments about the movie itself were complementary.

I guess I didn't realize that if someone comes on the internet and says film A warrants 5 starts and film B only warrants 2 then I should just accept that and go away quietly.
post #18 of 37 Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

Woah steady on there Ralph. My comments were meant as a lighthearted view of your rating system. Your lower rating ,it seems to me anyway, is based on nothing other than the fact that you hadn't seen the movie before and comparing it to the Matrix you found it underwhelming. Most of your comments about the movie itself were complementary.

I guess I didn't realize that if someone comes on the internet and says film A warrants 5 starts and film B only warrants 2 then I should just accept that and go away quietly.

Greetings,

If I misread the tone of your post I apologize gnj1958. If you have read any of my posts in this forum you should realize I have no problem with feedback good or bad. So no, I don't expect someone to 'go away quietly'.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 37 Old 04-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

personally, i disagree, i thought this was much better executed than the matrix (which is still one of my top movies). Though they have similar concepts... Sort of... I see this as more of a noir-ish type movie that makes you think, whereas the matrix took the concept and made it into an action movie.

+1
post #20 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

i like it. chiao.
post #21 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Liked: 13
Wow Ralph, color me disappointed with your review of The Thirteenth Floor Blu-ray. While the audio and video portions of your review may be accurate, IMO your "My Take" and "Final Thoughts" widely missed the mark. IMO, this is a much better movie than you think. In any case, I enjoy reading your reviews and hope you have better luck hitting closer to the mark on your next one.
post #22 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post

Wow Ralph, color me disappointed with your review of The Thirteenth Floor Blu-ray. While the audio and video portions of your review may be accurate, IMO your "My Take" and "Final Thoughts" widely missed the mark. IMO, this is a much better movie than you think. In any case, I enjoy reading your reviews and hope you have better luck hitting closer to the mark on your next one.

Thanks...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post

It's a matter of taste, there is no correct review. It's weird how so many people want to objectify reviews by using averages of numerical scores and other silliness. It's subjective, it's opinion, it's art, it's taste. There is no correct opinion regarding any movie.
post #24 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 View Post

It's a matter of taste, there is no correct review. It's weird how so many people want to objectify reviews by using averages of numerical scores and other silliness. It's subjective, it's opinion, it's art, it's taste. There is no correct opinion regarding any movie.

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Ralph, I love your reviews, but have to jump on the bandwagon of those who think it is a better movie than you feel it is or at least IMO every bit as captivating as the Matrix. I saw this around the time of the Matrix and as much as I loved the Matrix, I thought 13th floor was every bit its equal. What I am surprised about is how many in this thread are saying the same.

Keep up the great work Ralph. I reference your reviews on occasion in the PQ thread. Thanks.

Hugh
post #26 of 37 Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 View Post

Well said.

Personally, I remember enjoying this movie the first time I saw it. But, I can't, for the life of me, remember why I liked it or even what it was really about. Guess that means it's time to see it again.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #27 of 37 Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I don't remember it either, it's time for a rewatch.
post #28 of 37 Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Ralph, I love your reviews, but have to jump on the bandwagon of those who think it is a better movie than you feel it is or at least IMO every bit as captivating as the Matrix. I saw this around the time of the Matrix and as much as I loved the Matrix, I thought 13th floor was every bit its equal. What I am surprised about is how many in this thread are saying the same.

Keep up the great work Ralph. I reference your reviews on occasion in the PQ thread. Thanks.

Hugh

Greetings,

I will hang on to it and give it another spin. Based upon the outpouring of support for it I think it deserves a re-visit...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 37 Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Compared Bluray to DVD using Oppo 983 and Sony 550,the Bluray was not any sharper overall. The only thing that was razor sharp was the Surgeon Generals thou shall not copy warning.
post #30 of 37 Old 04-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Worst tranffer ever!!!!!!!, God sometimes I wish Hd-Dvd was the winner. Man.....
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Thirteenth Floor Blu Ray Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page