Starring: David Strathairn, Elizabeth Banks, Emily Browning, Arielle Kebbel
Directed by: The Guard Brothers
Music by: Christopher Young
Written by: Craig Rosenberg, Doug Miro, Carlo Bernard
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2009

"Fear moves in"

Film Synopsis:

From the producers of The Ring and Disturbia comes a nail-biting thriller, THE UNINVITED. Following the suspicious death of their mother, sisters Anna and Alex become entangled in a deadly battle of wills when their father becomes engaged to Rachel, their mother’s former caretaker. As the two sisters investigate Rachel’s questionable past, they are confronted with ghostly visions, terrifying nightmares and deadly consequences.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=140602&d=1240502190

I am a fan of horror/thrillers and when I saw the trailer for The Uninvited it looked pretty good. This synopsis above pretty much describes what this film’s premise is. The film opens with Anna (Browning) who is at a teenage beach party and decides to leave early and head home alone through the woods in the dark. This is a horror movie so suffice it to say she stumbles into trouble. As it turns out Anna has spent the last 10 months in a mental hospital after attempting suicide. Her bedridden mother was “accidentally” killed in a tragic fire that was supposedly started by a leaking oil drum in the family boathouse. Anna has returned home to her father (Strathairn) and sister Alex (Kebbel) to find that Rachael (Banks) the woman who cared for her mother has not only moved in but is her father’s girlfriend. The sisters are very suspicious of Rachael and resent the relationship between the two. Anna begins having ghostly visions of her dead mother and three unidentified children (mostly a red haired girl) that all appear to be warning her about Rachael. She shares this with Alex and the two begin to notice little things about Rachael that question her past and identity. The clincher is when Matt, a local grocery delivery boy who has a crush on Anna, tells her that he saw something at the house the night of the fire. She makes plans to meet with him to find out what he knows. Rachael becomes aware that the girls are up to something and things quickly escalate as they get closer to the truth. The level of danger rises which culminates in a frightening showdown that has an unexpected twist.

This wasn’t exactly what I expected and turned out to be more of a thriller than a horror movie. That in and of itself wasn’t a problem but I felt that the script didn’t flow as well as I’d hoped. I think it would have been more rewarding if it remained more or a horror story. It initially reminded me a bit of The Messengers but lacked its better story and engaging creepiness. There were a couple of jump scares but they were predictable which depleted their impact. The two girls were fairly well drawn characters but both Steven (the father) and Rachael lacked depth. Visually I thought that the film was beautifully shot but the darker/frightening elements were too repetitive which added to the predictability mentioned earlier. I did like the little twist at the end. Part of it I saw coming and part I didn’t which is a good thing. This is apparently a remake of an Asian film called “A tale of two sisters”. I haven’t seen the original so I can’t draw a comparison. This is an average horror/thriller that makes for a decent popcorn movie on a stormy night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violent and disturbing images, thematic material, sexual content, language, and teen drinking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=140601&d=1240502190

The Uninvited comes to Blu-ray Disc from DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

This is a great looking high definition video presentation that features plenty of high level detail and deep image penetration. The wide angle and vista style views of the landscapes near the house and the surrounding water have excellent dimensional depth and visual acuity. Colors have a resplendent quality that is highlighted by natural looking earth tones and warm but realistically depicted complexions. Good shadow delineation in a film like this is essential and it was never an issue here. The moonlit and darkened nighttime shots of the exterior of the house, woods and water exhibit deep shadows and contrast. I could easily detect the subtle but definable shapes of the stones in the rocky shoreline as Anna and Alex sat near the water in the dark. Blacks are strong and have plenty of dynamic range which enhances perceivable depth in scenes containing mixed content. An example of this can be seen during a segment shot at night where the full moon is shining on the water. The pearls of moonlight glisten off of the peaks in the rippling water which starkly contrasts the deep black of the water itself. Scenes shot during the day are crisp, colorful and offer excellent delineation and fine rendering. Overall this is a solid offering from Paramount/DreamWorks Blu-ray.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD sound mix featured definitive front channel separation and opulent clarity. Soundstage depth and imaging across the left, right and center channels was excellent. This gave the multitude of directional sounds and dialogue deep room penetration, high level perception of detail, and appropriate near field placement. The surround channels were used primarily to augment the sound field emanating from the main channels and to solidify directional panning sequences via use of ambient and discrete sound placement. Dynamics and low frequency effects had solid weight and tangible authority that resonated well in the room. The combination enhanced the film’s tense and creepy moments. I would like to have seen a bit more depth to the bass response which I feel would have heightened the impact of jump scares in the story. That is a relatively minor complaint in an otherwise decent surround mix.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Unlocking The Uninvited – 19 minute behind the scenes/making of featurette

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes

• (HD) Alternate ending – This very minor change hardly seemed worthy of inclusion
attachment.php?attachmentid=140603&d=1240502190

Final Thoughts:

The Uninvited is an average popcorn horror/thriller that lacks truly interesting characters and a cohesive script. It is beautifully shot and features a twist of an ending that wasn’t bad at all. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Paramount/DreamWorks offers excellent high definition visuals and solid audio quality. The bonus features are limited to a bland making of feature, a few deleted scenes and the inclusion of an odd alternate ending. On the bright side they are all offered in high definition. If you enjoy genre films like this give it a rent on a stormy night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
OK I thought this movie sounded familiar, as reading your review I was thinking I know what can make it better! If it was done aboard.. Lol.. I own the original, and I like to compare the US version with the foreign ones, and they always goes to the original story wise,. and delivery sense.. Go figure.
Thanks I'll rent this, I love to see my Gf scrim on the sofa with her hands in front of her...Priceless.

Djoel
post #3 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember the film The Uninvited with Ray Milland and a young actress named Russell. It's actually a classic scary movie with a plot twist ending. I also have a Tale of Two Sisters and I highly recommend it to any horror lover. Most of the scenes may leave you feeling like a joke was told and you didn't catch the punch line but when the plot climaxes it pays off big. 50 years of horror movies and I can say it's one of the top. More psychological than Audition and more linear than most asian films.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought this one was The Unborn..that's the recent horror movie I want to see. This one was pretty bad.

Blu-ray = 775
post #5 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP View Post

I thought this one was The Unborn..that's the recent horror movie I want to see. This one was pretty bad.

The Unborn was downright awful. This one was actually pretty good.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 01:28 PM

A tale of two sisters did not need a remake. I wonder why they keep dipping into the Asian horror pool for inspiration? The lack of creativity in modern horror sometimes perplexes me.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfan2112 View Post

A tale of two sisters did not need a remake. I wonder why they keep dipping into the Asian horror pool for inspiration? The lack of creativity in modern horror sometimes perplexes me.

That's because most of the US population doesn't watch Asian horror films. So to most of us, this a new movie. I never heard of "Ringu" until after the "The Ring" was released. Nor have I heard of "A Tell Of Two Sisters" until
the "Uninvited" was released. So in a way these remakes are a good thing, because it brings these Asian films into the limelight.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The only reason why i'm collecting this movie is because of Elizabeth Banks. Big fan of hers. Story was somewhat so so.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSSVA View Post

That's because most of the US population doesn't watch Asian horror films. So to most of us, this a new movie. I never heard of "Ringu" until after the "The Ring" was released. Nor have I heard of "A Tell Of Two Sisters" until
the "Uninvited" was released. So in a way these remakes are a good thing, because it brings these Asian films into the limelight.

I actually started watching Asian horror films due to Ringu. My little sister (well, not little, she's 28) hates watching films with subtitles, but has now come to love Asian horror films (even with subs).

Though, she does watch the dubbed version of Kung-Fu Hustle, as the dubbing makes the movie just that much more funny.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #10 of 20 Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another horror Asain's movie remake,just ordered this one and will coming tomorrow,will find out.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Watched this BD last night.The ending was a very twisted one.I was quite disappointed of the surround sound effect in this one,it wasn't good as I expected,almost of it used for ambient and atmosphereric propose.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Colonel View Post

Quote:

I remember the film The Uninvited with Ray Milland

and a young actress named Russell. It's actually a classic scary movie with a plot twist ending. I also have a Tale of Two Sisters and I highly recommend it to any horror lover. Most of the scenes may leave you feeling like a joke was told and you didn't catch the punch line but when the plot climaxes it pays off big. 50 years of horror movies and I can say it's one of the top. More psychological than Audition and more linear than most asian films.

Now that is one movie I would like to see on blu-ray, but I doubt that will ever be.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Colonel View Post

I remember the film The Uninvited with Ray Milland and a young actress named Russell.

Yes that was Gail Russell an excellent actress who had her own personal demons and died way too soon at the age of 37.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a good one. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.

And it was refreshing to see the 1.85 aspect ratio. I like seeing a full screen with no black bars.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This movie is amazing and scary as hell. Made me jump even after watching it twice! Gonna buy it this week for $33cdn. I know its steap but I really want it in my collection.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 AM

haha,i'll invite my gf to this movie,thanks Ralph[IMG]http://www.******************/data/img/3722/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG]
post #17 of 20 Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Can somebody tell me what the alternate ending is in a spoiler tag? Thanks. Watched this last night and I agree with Ralphs review completely (PQ/AQ/movie).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 20 Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM

I actually kind of enjoyed this one. Plot line typical and follows many lifetime made for tv movies but I liked the twist at the end.

I might give the video quality a little higher rating. It sure looked fantastic on my 55 XBR8. The forest scenes and ocean sure jumped off the screen.

Not the best but a decent popcorn flick for those easily entertained like me .

I say, heck, it's worth a rent....

Rick
post #19 of 20 Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

I say, heck, it's worth a rent....

Worth a rent? More like worth a buy.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

The twist at the end was so cliche. How many times have we seen exactly that twist before? Since it's so common place and they laid it out so clearly, one can't help but see it coming a mile away. Anyway I feel that type of twist was only mildly interesting when it was fresh and novel, it has worn out it's welcome many years ago.

And I hated the obvious way they ripped off the Shining visually from the ghosts to the shot following the car's drive through the mountains.

So I say it's a decent but highly derivative movie.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page