Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
attachment.php?attachmentid=141184&d=1241007477
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1966-67
MPAA Rating: Not rated
Feature running time: 1460 minutes (24 hours 20 minutes)
Genre: TV Sci-Fi/Drama/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Mono 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, Brazilian, Portuguese, French, Spanish
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, Majel Barrett, Walter Koenig
Directed by: Various
Music by: Alexander Courage
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2009

"To boldly go where no Blu-ray has gone before"

Film Synopsis:

Space. The Final Frontier. The U.S.S. Enterprise embarks on a five year mission to explore the galaxy. The Enterprise is under the command of Captain James T. Kirk. The First Officer is Mr. Spock, from the planet Vulcan. The Chief Medical Officer is Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy. With a determined crew, the Enterprise encounters Klingons, Romulans, time paradoxes, tribbles and genetic supermen lead by Khan Noonian Singh. Their mission is to explore strange new worlds, to seek new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

My Take:

I LOVE Star Trek the original series. I watched it with my parents as a child and grew up watching the reruns. I have seen all of the films that starred the original crew and while I like the Next Generation as well, the original is by far my favorite. I have seen every one of Season one's episodes and was excited when I saw the press release announcing this set. Season one includes some of the show's best episodes and includes but is not limited to, Mudd's women, The Menagerie Parts 1 &2, Balance of terror, Arena, Space seed and The city on the edge of forever. Creator Gene Roddenbury's vision was not only brought to life but has grown beyond his wildest expectations. Even though the show only ran for three seasons it has garnered a fan following that is pretty much second to none. It has gone on to spawn an animated TV show (which featured the voices of the original cast), 11 feature length movies, and 6 different television series. The show's balance of great writing, action, and drama is simply addicting. Watching it today its appeal is still fresh as I find the story lines to be well conceived and enacted. All thirty episodes from the 1966-67 season are spread out over 7 dual layered BD-50 Blu-ray Discs. Several years back the series was technically made over/redesigned with a remastering of the video and audio as well as updating many of the special effects. Whether or not you agree with this is up to you but I found the results to be impressive. Paramount has included both the enhanced/re-mastered and original versions which can be toggled on the fly via seamless branching. The disc menus are intuitive, cool, and logically assembled. The superlative bonus supplements are spread over the seven discs and, is the most comprehensive set I have seen for the series. I am thrilled at the extent Paramount has gone to in order to make this collection not only special but worthy of this ground breaking TV series.

Parental Guide:

The set is unrated. The show contains thematic material and mild violence and sci-fi action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Star Trek - The Original Series: Season One comes to Blu-ray featuring VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

The show's original aspect ratio and film based video is intact and looks spectacular in high definition. The newly restored elements boast vivid, resplendent colors, punchy blacks, and sparkling clarity. Fine rendering is especially appreciable during close ups however detail in objects, costumes and peripherals is clearly distinguishable. Sharpness wavers on occasion however it appears to be innate to the original photography and not the encoding. Grain is present in fine, even layers that rarely draws attention to itself. I have NEVER seen this TV series looking this good. The audio options include the original mono track and a lossless surround mix. The 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack would seem to be a bit much for a 40 plus year old TV series (perhaps it is) but I was impressed with the results. Dialogue is well articulated with discerning characteristics and fair room penetration. The front soundstage is narrow but sounds are clearly defined and free of strain or harshness. Surround activity is limited to low level ambience that extends the front sound stage and fills in panning effects. The show's classic theme and opening montage sound great and make the best use of the entire soundfield. I thought this surround mix was appropriately done as it avoided sounding artificially enhanced or gimmicky. Fidelity appeared to be intact as the original elements in the recording sounded excellent.

Bonus Features:

• Previews and trailers for each episode

• Starfleet Access - Trivia based text and pop-up interviews during select episodes (as indicated below)

• Disc 1:

1. (HD) Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century - 20 minute documentary
    2. Starfleet Access episode: Where no man has gone before

• Disc 3:

1. Reflections of Spock - 12 minute featurette
    2. Starfleet Access episode: The Menagerie parts 1 & 2

• Disc 4:

1. Life beyond Trek: William Shatner - 11 minute featurette
    2. Starfleet Access episode - Balance of terror

• Disc 5:

1. To Boldly GoSeason One - 19 minute retrospective
    2. The birth of a timeless legacy - 24 minute documentary

• Disc 6:

1. Interactive Enterprise inspection
    2. Sci-Fi visionaries - 16 minute featurette
    3. Starfleet Access episode: Space Seed

• Disc 7:

1. (HD) Billy Blackburns Treasure Chest: Rare home movies and special memories - 13 minutes
    2. Kiss N Tell: Romance in the 23rd Century - 8 minute featurette
    3. Starfleet Access episode - Errand of Mercy

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Star Trek the original series was a groundbreaking, thought provoking series that seemed ahead of its time in 1966. It transported viewers to new worlds and adventures along with the crew of the Starship Enterprise. Season one contains some of the show's best/memorable episodes, among them is Space Seed which spawned the 1982 Star Trek motion picture Star Trek II: The wrath of Khan. While the show may seem dated by today's standards it retains much of its original appeal which includes great characters (both regular and guest starring roles), thought provoking/socially pertinent themes, excellent writing, an ethnically diverse cast, cheesy but lovable special effects, and one of the most cohesive and memorable core casts ever assembled. Its legacy can be seen and heard in society today as well as in many of today's TV shows and films. Pretty impressive for a 40 year old TV series that only lasted three seasons. Paramount is to be commended on their efforts to make the show's first season release on high definition Blu-ray a special one. This is a superb offering that includes excellent high definition video and great lossless sound quality. The plethora of bonus material, viewing options and Trek themed fun stuff rounds out a wonderful package that I just can't recommend enough. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im going to jump on this one, i cant wait.

any chance you will review "the warriors" i know its an old film but the picture quality is probally in the high 90's?
post #3 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I picked this set up as well but, I have one question. Is the sound of each episode low on your set? I have to turn the volume up around 7dB higher then normal to get the dialogue decent level. The menus and the new Trek movie trailer (on disc 1) are normal because I have to turn the volume down again or the menus blow me out of the room. The episodes themselves just seem really low. Not a big issue as turning the volume fixes it but, I have not seen any reviews mention it and am trying to figure out if my set is defective.

Other then that, I really like this set. This is the first time I have ever owned a full season of TOS and couldn't be more happier with the results. A+ for CBS IMO!

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #4 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I picked this set up as well but, I have one question. Is the sound of each episode low on your set? I have to turn the volume up around 7dB higher then normal to get the dialogue decent level. The menus and the new Trek movie trailer (on disc 1) are normal because I have to turn the volume down again or the menus blow me out of the room. The episodes themselves just seem really low. Not a big issue as turning the volume fixes it but, I have not seen any reviews mention it and am trying to figure out if my set is defective.

Other then that, I really like this set. This is the first time I have ever owned a full season of TOS and couldn't be more happier with the results. A+ for CBS IMO!

I noticed the same thing with the volume, so it's not just your set. Annoying, but fixable.
post #5 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM

It`s about time we have 7.1 audio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My set is on order, and hopefully shipping real soon after the release date. I had the HD DVD set, and I hope this looks as good, if not better.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #7 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yes, the volume is lower in the episodes. This was the same with the HD DVD, but a turn of the volume nob fixes it. The new title sequence is much louder too, probably because it was redone and is "cleaner" than the original audio elements. It didn't bother me too much.

Nice review Ralph!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #8 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

How many episodes per disc?
post #9 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Yes, the volume is lower in the episodes. This was the same with the HD DVD, but a turn of the volume nob fixes it. The new title sequence is much louder too, probably because it was redone and is "cleaner" than the original audio elements. It didn't bother me too much.

Nice review Ralph!

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. Yes, the volume does need to be turned up some but it in no affects perception of the recorded elements in the soundtrack. It sounds fine.

Quote:
How many episodes per disc?

4 with the exception of Disc two which has 5.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #10 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
$80.00 up here, Ouch!
post #11 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I ordered this yesterday as well. Couldn't pass up the price on Amazon; don't know whether it is as heavily discounted locally 'cause Fry's didn't have it available for sale when I went in.
post #12 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM

One thing to keep in mind when talking about price is that on Laser disc, this series cost over $1000.00 US ($29.95 per 2 episodes), so this set, in high def, is a relative bargain, even at full price!
post #13 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM

I just bought it, and started watching it. Totally worth it! Thanks for the review [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]
post #14 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
kudos to Paramount/CBS for including the originals alongside the "remastered" episodes, to keep the purists happy. I can now get rid of my old DVDs. Very nice package, too. It's not all weird-shaped like the original season-set DVDs. Standard Blu-ray case. I can't wait to pick this up!!!

"Cheap, Fast, Good... pick any two."

Visit the home theater build thread...
LOGANED 12/31/08
post #15 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Picked up my copy today and just finished "Charlie X".Outstanding PQ for a 40year old TV series.I must say that Yoeman Rand looks damn good in HD.Great set.
post #16 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ralph,

Did not know Paramount was coming out with this, but makes sense after they went through the trouble to remaster for HDDVD.

Have all the DVD's, and boxed up somewhere, a number on VHS. Time to buy again. "Space Seed", "City on the Edge of Forever": classics.

OK, two trivia questions: Who played the first Dr. on the Enterprise, what was the characters' name and what was his role in another vintage TV series?

Did Gene Roddenberry ever add his acting skills to a Star Trek episode?

"May the Force be with you", oh that's not out yet on BD, so "Live long and prosper", at my age I like that second salutation better anyway.

Cheers,

Joe
post #17 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

I got mine today and started with the salt monster episode, had not seen it in a long time. I am completely astounded by the picture quality! I did not know that it could look so good. The fine detail, especially in close ups, is amazing!

Since the special effects overhaul is not following an interventionist approach as seen on Star Wars, I actually appreciate it and didn't switch back to the original effects. Of course I thought they kept the simplistic plastic model look of the Enterprise and so I'm happy.
post #18 of 116 Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Good review. [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG] I'm getting this one for sure.
post #19 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 AM

I can't imagine any way they could have done better by the fans on this one. Including both versions with the ability to switch back and forth at the touch of a button is icing on the cake!

BRAVO Paramount and CBS!!!
post #20 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Did not know Paramount was coming out with this, but makes sense after they went through the trouble to remaster for HDDVD.

Actually they didnt restore this for HD DVD. They did restore it for HD and it got released on HD DVD.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #21 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've always been more of a Star Wars fan that enjoys Trek films too. Never watched any of the various TV series though and can't imagine a show this old having much appeal outside of nostagia for those that are already fans. But, you talked me into taking a closer look Ralph. It's obviously a very popular set. It just came out and already it's on 1-3 week backorder at Amazon.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #22 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I've always been more of a Star Wars fan that enjoys Trek films too. Never watched any of the various TV series though and can't imagine a show this old having much appeal outside of nostagia for those that are already fans. But, you talked me into taking a closer look Ralph. It's obviously a very popular set. It just came out and already it's on 1-3 week backorder at Amazon.

IMO, the writing on Star Trek is what always separated it from Star Wars. Yes, the weekly TV episode budget was low and as a result, production values suffered. But, the deeply intelligent, thought-provoking sci-fi ideas that Trek served up on a regular basis, take this program to a level rarely achieved by George Lucas with Star Wars, except on his very best days (e.g. The Empire Strikes Back.) At its core, Star Trek is a show about ideas, while Star Wars is (extremely well-crafted and produced) action/adventure/fun. AFAIC they are different animals and an apples-to-apples comparison doesn't really work. I can't speak for the other Star Trek variants, but there is truly something special about TOS and its legendary fame and popularity is well deserved.
post #23 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks for the nudge. I'm looking forward to finding that out for myself. Star Wars is more action oriented, but the plots can be just as political as Star Trek; maybe a little less obviously so, but sophisticatedly relevant in social parallels just the same. Though, in recent years Lucas has forgotten how to liven up the banter.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #24 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Has anyone experienced slight bumps jerks in the image and/or sound?

It sometimes happens, always at the beginning of effects shots, which leads me to believe it is related to seamless branching.

I know this might be player related (I own a Samsung BD-P1500, firmware 2.4), but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Btw, I agree with everybody else, this set is absolutely amazing. Lucas should take the hint and release the Original Star Wars Trilogy in the same manner (Original + Special Edition in seamless branching).

Also, I still haven't got the time to watch everything, but I popped in disc 7 and notice the volume is louder in these episodes, so maybe only the first disc has low volume. It's no big deal though, just have to turn up the amp more than usual.
post #25 of 116 Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrakafoon View Post

It sometimes happens, always at the beginning of effects shots, which leads me to believe it is related to seamless branching.

I know this might be player related (I own a Samsung BD-P1500, firmware 2.4), but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Btw, I agree with everybody else, this set is absolutely amazing. Lucas should take the hint and release the Original Star Wars Trilogy in the same manner (Original + Special Edition in seamless branching).

Also, I still haven't got the time to watch everything, but I popped in disc 7 and notice the volume is louder in these episodes, so maybe only the first disc has low volume. It's no big deal though, just have to turn up the amp more than usual.

I haven't notice anything like you describe. I can even switch between the restored and original version on the fly with out any pauses or bumps in video or audio. I'm using a PS3 by the way.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #26 of 116 Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I continue to read good reviews as far as the PQ. I'm really looking forwrd to this one but money is a bit tight presently. The price is very very good so I'm unsure I can hold back at this point!
post #27 of 116 Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 PM

I got mine from Best Buy the day it came out and it's great!

I have to say that I have also noticed the VERY slight audio and video jump/hiccup during the effects cuts and the low audio too. Of course, so far I've only checked disc 1, so not sure about the rest. I did notice the same thing on my PC's Blu-ray drive as well.

Anyone know if the set has any of the bloopers from the series on it? All I've ever come across are extremely low quality VHS [eee-yuck] ones at SF Cons from many years back.

Great set and can't wait for the next 2 seasons, though I hope they wait 3-6 months between releases as getting the cash together in this economy is a bit tough.
post #28 of 116 Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrakafoon View Post

Yes. I own a Samsung BD-P1500 running the 2.0 firmware and get a slight jump at 10:21 of the 'The Man Trap' episode. It doesn't seem to happen every time there is a angle cut, just here so far. I tried the same disc and scene on my PC Blu-ray drive and it plays back flawlessly so it must be some kind of glitch with the Samsung. Other than this, I am very pleased with the set. Hopefully Samsung will correct this issue in a future firmware update. I'm not holding my breath though.
post #29 of 116 Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Actually they didnt restore this for HD DVD. They did restore it for HD and it got released on HD DVD.

i was under the impression Toshiba actually paid for the restoration in joint with some Santa Barbara effects company to actually help launch Hd-dvd.?
The codecs are virtually the same for either version now, so all should be happy!
post #30 of 116 Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The HD DVD used AVC, the Blu-ray uses VC-1. Comparing the two, the Blu-ray looks slightly better with less compression and banding IMO. The AVC encode has some video noise in solid objects and if you get close enough to the screen, you can see tiny macroblocks (very close to my 88 inch screen). These blocks are absent on the BD with VC-1.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Original Series Season 1 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page