Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2000, 2003, 2006
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 104, 132, 104 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1, 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English SDH, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Mandarin
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, James Marsden, Anna Paquin, Rebecca Romijn, Bruce Davison, Ellen Page, Kelsey Grammer, Alan Cumming, Brian Cox
Directed by: Bryan Singer & Brett Ratner
Music by: Michael Kamen
Written by: David Hayter, Simon Kinberg, Zak Penn, Dan Harris, Michael Dougherty
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 21, 2009

"We're not what you think"

Film Synopsis:

X-Men: Born into a world filled with prejudice are children who possess extraordinary and dangerous powers -- the result of unique genetic mutations. Cyclops unleashes bolts of energy from his eyes. Storm can manipulate the weather at will. Rogue absorbs the life force of anyone she touches. But under the tutelage of Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart), those and other outcasts learn to harness their powers for the good of mankind. Now they must protect those who fear them as the nefarious Magneto (Ian McKellen), who believes humans and mutants can never co-exist, unveils his sinister plan for the future!

attachment.php?attachmentid=134863&d=1235678274

X2: X-Men united: Following a shocking attack on the President, the X-Men must stand united with their deadliest enemies to combat a menace that threatens every mutant on the planet - and possibly all of mankind.

X-Men: The last stand: Experience the awesome power of The X-Men's epic, final battle. Join well-known mutant heroes and villains, and meet a cadre of all-new warriors -- including Angel, Beast, Juggernaut and Colossus -- in this thrilling, explosive adventure! After a controversial "cure" is discovered, mutants can choose to retain their superhuman abilities or give up their unique gifts and become "normal." When peaceful mutant leader Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) clashes with his militant counterpart, Magneto (Ian McKellen), the battle lines are drawn for the war to end all wars.

My Take:

As a child I had an active imagination. I was drawn to comic books and loved reading the adventurous stories revolving around super powered heroes who saved the world etc. My very first X-Men comic was entitled Deadly Genesis and marked the emergence of the new generation of X-Men. This included new characters such as Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, and Storm. I was absolutely blown away and was immediately hooked. Spiderman, Iron man, Thor, The Avengers and The Hulk were also favorites of mine. From that list you can see that several of my favorite childhood comic heroes have come to life on the big screen (and some are planned for the future!). I remember being particularly excited when the first X-Men film was announced. I was glad to see that they decided to incorporate a mix of characters from the era from which I was most familiar. The integrated story and special effects in the first film blew me away. I loved the cast as well as Bryan Singer's pacing and capable direction. I thought that the second film improved upon the first and ratcheted it up a notch with new characters, a more thematic story and an increase in the action. I appreciated the fact that both film's were conceived and implemented within the premise of the action genre but maintained the spirit and conceptual thematic feel of the comics. When the last film came out with Brett Ratner at the helm I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked it but felt it lacked the appeal of the first two. I think that it holds up perfectly well as an action film but lacked the comic book spirit I felt with the others. Regardless it is still the closing chapter (or is it?) in this trilogy and as such holds its rightful place. As a set they play out well and are all movies that I like to re-visit from time to time. As comic book adaptations go they are well done and loads of fun to watch thanks to the superb special effects, great casting and noticeable attention to detail. This is a stellar Blu-ray Disc package. If you're the type that enjoys watching bonus features then you are in for a treat because there is enough here to keep you entertained for hours. Fox has done a wonderful job as all three films look and sound superb in high definition. I am thrilled to add this set to my collection and I can guarantee that you will be too.

Parental Guide:

The three films are rated for sci-fi action/violence, some brief sexuality and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

In viewing all three of these films fidelity appears intact as I saw no signs of artificial sharpening or digital noise reduction. Fox has supported lossless audio on their Blu-ray Disc releases right from the beginning. Their DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks have provided some of the best high resolution audio offered from the format which is something I am sure they aspire to. I will offer my impressions of the video quality of the three films separately. The audio quality among the three films is essentially the same although I would give the slightest edge to the last two films over the first. I will cover that in a single description/rating. The total average is reflected in the rating section above.

X-Men comes to Blu-ray featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134862&d=1235678274

I found this to be an excellent high definition presentation that features quantifiable high level detail that manifested itself in the form of crisply defined images with subtle degrees of texture which give the video appreciable depth and clarity. Close ups reveals plenty of discernible detail in facial features, hair and clothing. Long range pans and wide angle shots offer two dimensional depth that presented objects in backgrounds with appreciable definition but lacks the razor sharp visual acuity of the best the high definition transfers on Blu-ray. Fidelity was rarely questionable however there was some minor softening that occasionally left certain shots appearing less resolute. While this is noticeable it is minor and far from detrimental. Colors are bright and well saturated, with natural rendering and subtle refinement. Fleshtones have a noticeably warm tonality that leaves complexions appearing flushed. Black levels were not inky but depth perception increased with mixed onscreen content. The intentionally stylized sequences that use muted or singular color schemes (such as the film's opening or the interior of the underground lair in the mansion) have excellent gradational highlights and perceivable contrast. Film grain is rendered naturally and appears in fine, consistent layers over the course of the presentation. Other than an occasional print speckle this was pristine rendering that looked great. Video score = 86.

X2: X-Men united comes to Blu-ray featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 mbps.

This presentation is similar to the first film in that it features quantifiable high level detail that manifests itself in the form of crisply defined images with subtle degrees of texture which give the video appreciable depth and clarity. Close ups reveals plenty of discernible detail in facial features, hair and clothing. Wide angle and panning camera shots reveal deeper image penetration and improved perception of detail within objects and textures in backgrounds (versus the first film). This provided better dimensional perspective in most cases. Colors are vibrant and well saturated, with deep primaries and subtly refined textures. Some scenes such as the ones that take place at the school and the mall for example have a slight reddish/golden cast that looks to be intentional. Fleshtones have a noticeably warm tonality that leaves complexions appearing flushed. Blacks are nice and deep but occasionally lack visible gradational stages. Detail in low lighting and dark backgrounds, is good but not definitive. The scene where Storm and Jean go to the church I noticed that Storm's black cloak and dark under clothing was a singe shade of black with no outline or visible stages. The confines and dim/uneven lighting in the church revealed good depth of field and structural visibility in the background walls, ceiling and dilapidated interior. Grain is prominently displayed and consistently rendered which gives the video a filmic quality that is appreciable. This presentation offers a slight but discernible improvement over the first film and is near reference quality. Video score = 90.

X-Men: The last stand comes to Blu-ray featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.4 mbps.

This film was previously released on Blu-ray back in late 2006 and came on a single layered BD-25 Blu-ray disc. It is presented here on a dual layered BD-50. I can't see an appreciable difference in the quality of the encoding but I would assume that it has been re-encoded. Regardless this is a pristine, reference quality transfer that looks the best of the three. Images are reproduced with revealing lifelike texture, three dimensionality, and visual acuity that provided a near infinite sense of depth. Contrast is bold with dynamic highlights that invigorate colors and brightens whites without whitewashing detail. Colors have a succulent quality with deep, penetrating primaries that aren't overpowering but are warm and inviting. Skin tones are lustrous with subtle delineation and beautifully rendered tonal structure. Blacks are gradational, deep and dynamic. Visibility in shadowy backgrounds and low lit segments is strong which helps enhance depth perception. Film grain is less prominent and appears to be preserved naturally. Video score = 94.

attachment.php?attachmentid=141329&d=1241116799

Action films like these are tailor made for lossless audio's higher fidelity and in the case of all three of these movies the DTS-HD Master Audio sound doesn't disappoint. These are reference quality soundtracks that bristle with active surround sound, extended dynamic range, and deep, room filling bass that all makes for an enthralling home theater experience. Whether it's the supple texture of falling rain or the aggressive bombast of multi-level fight sequences the auditory is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy. The audio bombards the senses with a plethora of hard hitting and detail rich sound effects. Surround activity is abundant with purposeful near field and diffused atmospheric placement that creates a sound field that is immersive and involving. Balance between the front and rear soundstages is spot on so that sounds that pass between the speakers going in either direction is done so in a seamless fashion. Low frequencies are rendered cleanly with authoritative depth, and room filling resonance that increases in intensity where appropriate. Use of Cerebro, the X-Jet chase sequence (X2) or the deadly scene between Jean and Charles in Jean's house (The last stand) makes for sweet demo material as deep, room resonating bass and swirling sound effects encapsulate the sweet spot. Take your pick of any of the three films as dialogue, music, directional/ambient effects all combine to provide a powerfully dynamic, highly detailed, 360 degree surround mix that literally rocks. Audio score = 94

Bonus Features:

X-Men - Disc 1:

• Audio commentary by Bryan Singer and Brian Peck

• Enhanced viewing mode: 17 behind the scenes segments can be watched during the film or separately

• 6 Deleted/extended scenes with optional commentary by Bryan Singer and Brian Peck

• Fox special: The mutant watch - a faux interview with members of the cast in character as well as offering input from cast/crew - 21 minutes

• Bryan Singer interview - 6 minutes

• Animatics

• Art gallery

• Three TV Spots

• Music promo

• (HD) Marvel Universe trailers

• BD-Live access: Wolverine Exclusive

• D-Box Motion code enabled

• Disc 2:

• Disc introduction by Bryan Singer

• Evolution X - Enhanced behind the scenes viewing option available during the film or separately and includes a series of documentaries, interviews and footage. It includes the following:

1. The uncanny suspects - 3 segments - Hugh Jackman's screen test, Hugh Jackman's first reading, character stills gallery
    2. X-Factor: The look of the X-Men - 3 segments - Cyclops/Storm costume tests and Toad make-up test
    3. Image gallery
    4. Production documentary scrapbook - 3 segments - Multi-angle looks at several sequences
    5. The special effects of the X-Men - 5 segments including animatics
    6. Reflection of the X-Men - 2 segments - Showcasing the film's premiere

• (HD) Marketing the X-men - 3 trailers

• 9 TV Spots

• 12 internet interstitials

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Includes a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/MAC to a portable media playback device

• X2: X-Men united - Disc 1:

• Commentary by Bryan Singer and Tom Sigel

• Commentary by Lauren Shuler Donner, Ralph Winter, Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris, and David Hayter

• Generation X: Comic Book History

• Disc 2:

• History of the X-Men - 2 segments - The secret origin of the X-Men and Nightcrawler reborn

• Pre-production - 3 segments - Multi-angle look at the Nightcrawler attack, design of X2, and united colors of X

• Production - 6 segments - Wolverine fight rehearsal, making of X2, Nightcrawler intro/stunt rehearsal/time lapse, visual FX

• Post-production - 2 segments - Requiem for Mutants (scoring X2), X2 global webcast highlights

• 11 deleted scenes

• Galleries

• Locations and sets - 14 segments covering the majority of the film's sets/locations

• On-camera graphics 6 segments

• The unseen X2 - Angel, Danger room (design, construction, storyboards), Sentinels

• (HD) 3 Trailers

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Includes a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/MAC to a portable media playback device

• X-Men - The last stand Disc 1:

• Director/Writer Commentary by Brett Ratner, Zack Penn, and Simon Kinberg

• Producer commentary by Avi Arad, Lauren Schuler Donner and Ralph Winter

• (HD) 24 Deleted/alternate scenes with optional Writer/Director commentary

• Disc 2:

• Brett Ratner's production diary

• X-Men: Evolution of a trilogy

• X-Men: Up close - Interactive gallery with stills and video

• Generation X: Comic book history

• Fox Movie Channel presents: Life after film school

• Fox Movie Channel presents: Casting session

• (HD) X3: The excitement continues

• (HD) Anatomy of a scene: Golden Gate Bridge

• (HD) 7 Vignettes - Prophecies, X-Men politics, Clothing vs. costume, Make-up chair confessions, Weapons of choice, On set effects, Learning to fly

• (HD) Blogs - Production teaser, Live from the Danger Room, MARVELous cameos, Editing magic

• 17 Previz animatics

• Galleries

• (HD) 3 trailers

Final Thoughts:

The X-Men Trilogy represents one of the most beloved and oldest Marvel Comics superhero franchises brought to life on the big screen. The first two films represent these characters in definitive storylines that purposefully draw them out. This is in addition to the action based elements that are indicative of what we as fans expect from big budget fantasy films. The combination had a surreal feeling that made it reminiscent of reading the stories in the comics. The third film, while enjoyable, felt more like a singular action based film. It had something to offer in that regard but didn't live up to the first two films in my opinion. Fox has delivered all three films to high definition (the second time around for The Last Stand) and the results are sensational. Video quality is excellent and the audio presentations are reference quality demo material. There are hours worth of bonus supplements, Blu-ray Disc exclusives, and each film comes with a Bonus Digital Copy Disc so that you can take them on the go. Kudos to Fox on a job well done! Highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This release makes others like The Bourne Trilogy seem way overpriced - surprising coming from Fox. I'm still waiting on a good deal for Bourne and a few others. But the X-Men Trilogy was an easy purchase to justify.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #3 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really enjoyed the trilogy in the theatre and this review is def pushing me to pick this one up. What a great review [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]
post #4 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mr. Potts

Do you purchase every Bluray that comes out?
post #5 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Mr. Potts

Do you purchase every Bluray that comes out?

Greetings,

No. Actually I purchase very few...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This Trilogy boxset would be better if the discs were in the metallic box rather in cheap paper box( as Band of the Brothers).I thought all of them was solid transfer both sound and picture quality,every fans must own and again great review.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

This Trilogy boxset would be better if the discs were in the metallic box rather in cheap paper box( as Band of the Brothers).I thought all of them was solid transfer both sound and picture quality,every fans must own and again great review.

If it was in a metal box, Magneto would have too much power

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #8 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

If it was in a metal box, Magneto would have too much power

Very funny,Thanks.It was true as you told.In case of metallic box,can't imagine what happens to nonmutants as we all are.I am a fan of your magazine.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Ralph or anybody else....are these the same mixes as the SD-DVDs?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I purchased the Last Stand a while ago, but I recently bought and watched X-Men and X-2... In terms of sound quality there is no doubt that these movies are very good and there are a lot of scenes that are demo material... In terms of the video quality, I would say that both are ok... Sometimes they look razor sharp, very three dimensional, but they are not in the same league as other movies out there such as King Kong, QOS, and others...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #11 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I purchased the Last Stand a while ago, but I recently bought and watched X-Men and X-2... In terms of sound quality there is no doubt that these movies are very good and there are a lot of scenes that are demo material... In terms of the video quality, I would say that both are ok... Sometimes they look razor sharp, very three dimensional, but they are not in the same league as other movies out there such as King Kong, QOS, and others...

Agreed in the inconsistency of the picture quality in both parts,you mentioned and I thought X3 The Last Stand was the same as the previous one.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I am a fan of your magazine.

Thanks...I'll pass that along to Shane and Scott (my two editors at Home Theater and UAV).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #13 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 AM

Not 7.1 Again!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM

nice movie,will got it soon
post #15 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Although growing up I read all those comics Ralph listed, my favorite of all was Daredevil. Too bad the only movie that came out was lousy maybe because Aflleck is such a bad actor.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Awsome!!!

For X-Men collectors this is a must have! Copy should be here sometime next week. Great review Ralph!

Cheers
P.s. Btw go see X-Men Origins Wolverine. You won't be dissappointed. The scene between Wolv and Weapon XI...
post #17 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just bought the separate discs at Frys. It was cheaper, I get 3 movie cash vs 1 and all I lose is a cardboard sleeve and digital copies.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #18 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masako View Post

I was wondering as well, because he seems to review quite a few films consistently. In any case, great review (as usual) and I'm looking forward to watching these in BD.

Well looking at his collection, he owns over 750 titles. 250 or so are Bluray.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 AM

cool, ralph doesw the best blu-ray reviews on the net
post #20 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Well looking at his collection, he owns over 750 titles. 250 or so are Bluray.

Greetings,

The discs that I review are sent to me through the studios that release them.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #21 of 21 Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
as most people have said i think that they are a lot of inconsistencies in the video quality of these BDs especially the first 2. at times, the scenes are razor sharp and at times they are very soft. for instance the last scene in X2 where they show the lake, you could see how blurred the trees are and how soft the waves and ripples in the lake are. I really enjoyed the movies but in terms of video quality they arent the best.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , X Men Trilogy X Men X2 X Men United X Men The Last Stand Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - X by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page