Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
1 2  3 
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 06:36 AM 05-11-2009
attachment.php?attachmentid=142430&d=1242033099
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 92 Minutes
Genre: Action/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English SDH, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Starring: Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Rhona Mitra, Steven Makintosh, Kevin Grevoix., David Ashton
Directed by: Patrick Tatopoulos
Music by: Paul Haslinger
Written by: Danny McBride, Dirk Blackman, Howard McCain
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 12, 2009

"The birth of a hero. The rise of a legend. The beginning of a war"

Film Synopsis:

The prequel story traces the origins of the centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires known as Death Dealers and their onetime slaves, the Lycans. In the Dark Ages, a young Lycan named Lucian (Michael Sheen) emerges as a powerful leader who rallies the werewolves to rise up against Viktor (Bill Nighy), the cruel vampire king who has enslaved them. Lucian is joined by his secret lover, Sonja (Rhona Mitra), in his battle against the Death Dealer army and his struggle for Lycan freedom.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=142431&d=1242033221

This film takes place before the first Underworld film and details the birth of Lucian, the events surrounding the development of the Lycan race and what began the war between the vampires and Lycans. The film moves quickly as Viktor who is currently governing the coven rules with an iron fist. Werewolves are beasts that are unable to take human form until one gives birth to a small child/wolf that can take human form at will. The decision is made to use him to turn humans into “Lycans”. They are bred and used to watch over the vampires during hibernation as well as serving as slaves. They are all fitted with special collars to prevent them from changing. Lucian is given a position of prominence and is not subject to the slave treatment of the others but is also fitted with the requisite collar. Viktor’s daughter Sonya is adored by her father and as such is given a place on the counsel in addition to being a Death Dealer that hunts down and kills the “wild” werewolves living outside of the secure walls of the coven castle. Unbeknownst to Viktor and the rest of the coven Sonya and Lucian having been having a torrid love affair. Lucian has grown tired of the treatment of his kind and plans to escape and free his imprisoned brethren. He eventually does so with Sonya’s help. Subsequently this comes to light and she is imprisoned. Lucian learns of this and returns alone to rescue her. Things don’t go smoothly and Lucian and Sonya are captured. She is brought before the counsel and tried for her “crimes” against the coven and summarily sentenced to death. Lucian is sentenced to a lifetime of servitude which includes witnessing the death of his beloved Sonya.

These events were touched upon during a flashback sequence in the first Underworld film. I thought that this film was good but unnecessary. Underworld and Underworld: Evolution chronicled things pretty well. The backstory on the war isn’t a complicated one. I thought that if we needed to know anything it would have been more useful to have a deeper background on the relationship between Sonya and Lucian. What drew them together? Why would a slave and a princess fall in love? This film showed them briefly as children (never together) and then fast forwards to adulthood in a scene where Lucian saves Sonya from attack by a pack of charging werewolves. By that point they were already in love and sneaking around. There is no background on the elders, Selene or how things ended up as they did at the start of Underworld (Kraven being in charge etc.). There is mention of William but nothing more. Raze’s origin and relationship to Lucian is covered pretty well. I have to admit that as a fan it was good to actually see the events that were quickly touched upon regarding this story fully realized. Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy have these characters down cold and I thought that Rhona Mitra did a credible job as Sonya. On its own I think that Underworld: Rise of the Lycans holds up okay but its 92 minute runtime makes it feel rushed. The action based sequences are decent and the special effects are in line with the other films in the series. While I liked it I just feels like more of an add on than an integral part of the franchise.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody violence and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=142432&d=1242033221

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD surround mix is a good that has excellent dynamic energy and rich palpable bass that drive the film’s action based sequences. Detail and clarity are first rate as the sounds of crossing swords, growling beasts, and catapulted spears have enriching realism. The sound field is three dimensional as it fills the room with the spatial, multi-layered nuance and seamless directional pans that correlate with the events unfolding onscreen. Dynamic range runs the gamut as the battle intense moments engage the entire surround platform. This is evident during both the Lycan escape and later castle attack sequences. The thrusts and impact of the large steel spears as they are catapulted and hit their respective marks is impressive. Similar viscerally involving surround sound can be heard as the hoards of Lycans converge on the vampire castle in the final act. Bass is demonstrative and tactilely focused so that it can be felt deep within the room. The opening of the shifting roof in the death chamber scene delivered a few ultra low frequency transients that literally shook the room. Dialogue is crystal clear and tonally distinct. I did find that during certain scenes dialogue blended too much with other sounds within the front soundstage. This made some of the softer spoken words hard to discern. This is a mild complaint that didn’t taint an otherwise excellent and entertaining surround sound experience.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red and forest green hues. Warm golden accents are used throughout to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. This comes in the form of glowing candle light or alternating flesh tones that have lifelike complexional color as opposed to the ashen/blue that is predominant the majority of the time. What enhances the effect is its presence amidst the other dark blue/gray/black elements within the same shot. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Resolution is excellent as images are crisp, delineated and dimensionally strong. The visual design isn’t such that it offers high gloss, razor sharp quality but that doesn’t keep this presentation from looking great.

Bonus Features:

• Blu-ray Disc Exclusive Cinechat: Send on-screen instant messages to friends while you watch the movie at the same time

• Blu-ray Disc Exclusive Behind the castle walls: PiP BonusView feature

• Lycanthropes around the world - Interactive map feature

• (HD) Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - From script to screen 9 minute featurette

• (HD) The origin of the feud 19 minute featurette

• (HD) Recreating the dark ages: The look of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans 19 minute featurette

• Music video: Death club by William Control

• 11 Previews

• BD-Live enabled

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc
attachment.php?attachmentid=142433&d=1242033221

Final Thoughts:

Underworld: Rise of the Lycansis an above average prequel that while not necessarily a viable ingredient in appreciating the relevancy of the war between vampire and lycan as depicted in the Underworld universe, does make for a decent watch. Its high definition presentation is top shelf in both respects. The bonus supplements are on point and round out this excellent Blu-ray Disc offering from Sony. If you are a fan of the series this should have a place in your collection. Otherwise give it a rent before purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

butsu's Avatar butsu 07:41 AM 05-11-2009
Very nice review,Ralph.I didn't like this part when I watched in the theater but after reading your review,I thought I should buy it.
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 07:45 AM 05-11-2009
Saw this in the theatres and thought it was just ok. How come Kate B wasn't on this film even though it was a prequel? I kind of liked the other two sequels better than this one.

Thanks for the usual Ralph.

Cheers
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 07:48 AM 05-11-2009
So they are three of these films? Underworld, Underworld Evolution, and Rise of the Lycans ( where the hell have I been)....I guess I can put this in my Que, and see what Evolution is about, I'm sure the pq & sq would be great....

djoel
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 07:53 AM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Saw this in the theatres and thought it was just ok. How come Kate B wasn't on this film even though it was a prequel? I kind of liked the other two sequels better than this one.

Thanks for the usual Ralph.

Cheers

I would think because it was a prequel...She didn't exist when all these this was happing ,that's why it was explain to her by Lucian the whole back story, and how Viktor turned her because she remind him of her long gone daughter..

djoel
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 08:11 AM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I would think because it was a prequel...She didn't exist when all these this was happing ,that's why it was explain to her by Lucian the whole back story, and how Viktor turned her because she remind him of her long gone daughter..

djoel

Even with the prequel i thought there would be a younger version of her but i can see how it is and makes more sense. Thanks
gridbug's Avatar gridbug 11:24 AM 05-11-2009
Quote:

I think it's actually because Kate Beckinsale decided not to be in the third movie, which is why they hired a lookalike to play her character.

Djoel's Avatar Djoel 11:37 AM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

I think it's actually because Kate Beckinsale decided not to be in the third movie, which is why they hired a lookalike to play her character.

So is she suppose to be the same character from the first flick?

Djoel
adpayne's Avatar adpayne 11:57 AM 05-11-2009
Quote:

So is she suppose to be the same character from the first flick?

Djoel

No. She is Viktor's daughter as has been discussed previously.

Art
DVegas101's Avatar DVegas101 01:47 PM 05-11-2009
Kate was not on board for a third movie and they decided to make a prequel. Plus, by the end of the second movie, they had killed of pretty much all of the elders and originators of the original vampire and lycan bloodlines, so there wasn't too far to go. In the original, it was said that Viktor picked Selene because she reminded him of his daughter.

Rhona Mitra plays Sonya who is Viktor's daughter that he eventually sentances to death because of her involvement with Lucian (shown in flashback form in the first Underworld).

Aside from that, great review, I will have to check it out on Blu Ray soon.
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 02:33 PM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

No. She is Viktor's daughter as has been discussed previously.

Art

OK that's what I thought

Djoel
StanDaMan's Avatar StanDaMan 02:44 PM 05-11-2009
Quote:

[IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]

That's really interesting...
CalgaryCowboy's Avatar CalgaryCowboy 04:05 PM 05-11-2009
I like the series and from the trailers I thought it was Kate It would have been plausible to cast her as Victors daughter since she reminded him of her so much. (I will have to check who they used in the flash back scenes). Now I think it works better with a new actress that looks like kate.
collin's Avatar collin 04:58 PM 05-11-2009
Quote:

i thought that beckinsale ended up marrying the director of the original underworld movie after the film. he also was the co-developer of the entire story concept. so did they break up or how else did she get out of the third film?
coati858's Avatar coati858 05:54 PM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I like the series and from the trailers I thought it was Kate It would have been plausible to cast her as Victors daughter since she reminded him of her so much. (I will have to check who they used in the flash back scenes). Now I think it works better with a new actress that looks like kate.

Agreed. I'm actually glad they didn't use her to play Sonya. OTOH, I wouldn't mind another good Underworld movie with KB in it.
jcork's Avatar jcork 06:21 PM 05-11-2009
get video for checking your black reference levels [img]http://imagesshack.info/************[/img]
DJ Matt's Avatar DJ Matt 02:30 AM 05-12-2009
I watched this and although the flick had good HD video quality, I did think that it was a little bit "too blue". For me it was sort of distracting at times.
Franin's Avatar Franin 07:15 AM 05-12-2009
Mine should arrive here by Friday finally.
TommyV's Avatar TommyV 11:07 AM 05-13-2009
I am a huge fan of the Underworld series. Thank you for the review Ralph but I can not completely agree with you on all points.

First: I thought this prequel was a good direction to go with the Underworld series. At 94 mins, I do agree that there could have been more story told as you said. In the Featuette they mentioned some of the problems of an impending writers strike and other factors that forced them to get this filmed rushed into production so that could have played a role. Still I feel this film delivered surprisingly well on its goal. I had low expectations and was prepared to be disappointed.

Also: I feel you gave the soundtrack much too high of marks. The mix was kind of all over the place. You did grace over the dialogue issue of whispering conversation being hard to discern but I think this was a much bigger deal than you mention. In the theater I had the same problems with those scenes so it is not the fault of the BD. I also thought some of the effects were lazily placed during the first part of the film. During the final battle though, the soundtrack really kicks in. It is exciting and mixed very well.

On the video quality, I though the film seemed a bit less detailed and out of focus in many of the wide shot scenes. I noticed this as well in the theater but I am just using Underworld: Evolution as comparison because the visual style is the same. In Underworld: Evolution (HD DVD) I think the video quality blows this one out of the water as far and detail and sharpness.

I do agree with the statement, if you are a fan buy it. If not, give it a rent.
audionutzzzz's Avatar audionutzzzz 08:28 PM 05-13-2009
I thought the movie was good. SQ was good and so was the PQ. Could have been alittle longer of a movie though..
theelviscerator's Avatar theelviscerator 08:41 PM 05-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I am a huge fan of the Underworld series. Thank you for the review Ralph but I can not completely agree with you on all points.

First: I thought this prequel was a good direction to go with the Underworld series. At 94 mins, I do agree that there could have been more story told as you said. In the Featuette they mentioned some of the problems of an impending writers strike and other factors that forced them to get this filmed rushed into production so that could have played a role. Still I feel this film delivered surprisingly well on its goal. I had low expectations and was prepared to be disappointed.

Also: I feel you gave the soundtrack much too high of marks. The mix was kind of all over the place. You did grace over the dialogue issue of whispering conversation being hard to discern but I think this was a much bigger deal than you mention. In the theater I had the same problems with those scenes so it is not the fault of the BD. I also thought some of the effects were lazily placed during the first part of the film. During the final battle though, the soundtrack really kicks in. It is exciting and mixed very well.

On the video quality, I though the film seemed a bit less detailed and out of focus in many of the wide shot scenes. I noticed this as well in the theater but I am just using Underworld: Evolution as comparison because the visual style is the same. In Underworld: Evolution (HD DVD) I think the video quality blows this one out of the water as far and detail and sharpness.

I just watched the blu ray..and I agree with you 110 percent...

Shame they had to drop production values for the 3rd movie....but will there be a 4th.....?
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 02:59 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Greetings,

Tommy, thanks very much for your well thought out and concise input. As a big fan and someone who has seen it theatrically I value your opinion.

Regards,
TommyV's Avatar TommyV 09:06 AM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

I just watched the blu ray..and I agree with you 110 percent...

Shame they had to drop production values for the 3rd movie....but will there be a 4th.....?

Well in the featurette they made a comment that there are still hundreds of years of Underworld that could be told which definitely leaves the door open for more movies. I hope that if they do revisit the story, they do it right and not exploit the Underworld name.

As far as dropping production values, I am glad that it was not a huge budget project with all the focus on flash and no substance. They did run over budget on the effects due to the large amount of werewolf scenes and said the studio gladly provided more funds to complete the project.

I think the fact they were rushing to get shooting may have shortened the storyline a bit. I would have liked to have seen 120 mins with some more story development but still it was effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Tommy, thanks very much for your well thought out and concise input. As a big fan and someone who has seen it theatrically I value your opinion.

Regards,

Thanks Ralph, and I enjoy reading your reviews!
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 02:04 PM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post

i thought that beckinsale ended up marrying the director of the original underworld movie after the film. he also was the co-developer of the entire story concept. so did they break up or how else did she get out of the third film?

She probably wasn't interested, or busy with something else, that's all. As already said, the story is about Viktor's daughter and Lucian, so it's perfectly fine that 1/Kate Beckinsale isn't here and 2/Rhona Mitra (who has a certain ressemblance with extra-hot Kate) got the part. Viktor already said in the first film that Selene reminded him of his own daugther.

Len Wiseman has writing credits for Underworld 3, so I'm sure his marriage is fine , and I'm sure it was clear that the 3rd chapter wouldn't include Selene. Underworld 1 and 2 pretty much covered everyting about her anyway.

The only weak point is that I wouln't have minded watching Kate Beckinsale with her sexy latex/leather suit for another 2 hours, or even many more!
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 02:21 PM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

These events were touched upon during a flashback sequence in the first Underworld film. I thought that this film was good but unnecessary. Underworld and Underworld: Evolution chronicled things pretty well.

Well... As much as I like your reviews Ralph, this time I strongly disagree. The Empire Strikes Back wasn't "necessary" either... okay, I'm kidding but, I think it was nice to go back to the beginning of the feud. It really gives, this time, the feeling that vampires and lycans do have some long-running issues, as it was only briefly stated in the previous movies. Besides, to me Rise Of The Lycans is not much about Sonja actually, it's really about Lucian and his struggle to go beyond his "condition" (both as a werewolf and as a slave). Of course his relationship with Sonja is important, but it's not just that. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak...I really liked Lucian as a character in the first Underworld, and it's always a pleasure to watch the chameleon and gifted actor Michael Sheen on screen... I saw it in theaters, but as a fan of the series (and not just because of Kate Beckinsale's presence, it would have been a blind buy for me.

I always love reading your reviews btw, so thank you Ralph; and this time I'm not kidding.
TommyV's Avatar TommyV 02:39 PM 05-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The only weak point is that I wouln't have minded watching Kate Beckinsale with her sexy latex/leather suit for another 2 hours, or even many more!

Who here can argue with logic like that?? Rhona is not bad to look at either though.
Franin's Avatar Franin 11:13 AM 05-15-2009
Finished watching it wasn't too bad. I do agree with some the effects were good but could of been better.
btillman's Avatar btillman 12:47 PM 05-16-2009
Hello all,
I liked this one much more then the other two. The vampires seemed weak, sorta human like in this one. Picture and sound is very good in this movie. I couldn't stop turning it up. My room is not treated so I had to limit my volume some what because of the reflections but not because of the sound track.
BT
wvasko's Avatar wvasko 12:56 PM 05-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by btillman View Post

Hello all,
I liked this one much more then the other two. The vampires seemed weak, sorta human like in this one. Picture and sound is very good in this movie. I couldn't stop turning it up. My room is not treated so I had to limit my volume some what because of the reflections but not because of the sound track.
BT

I like the 1st two and I am pleased with my purchase. Of course I never had a chance, I was hooked the 1st time I saw Lon Chaney and Bela Lugosi and since then Vampires and Werewolves are high on my list of good times.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 05:30 PM 05-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

She probably wasn't interested, or busy with something else, that's all. As already said, the story is about Viktor's daughter and Lucian, so it's perfectly fine that 1/Kate Beckinsale isn't here and 2/Rhona Mitra (who has a certain ressemblance with extra-hot Kate) got the part. Viktor already said in the first film that Selene reminded him of his own daugther.

Len Wiseman has writing credits for Underworld 3, so I'm sure his marriage is fine , and I'm sure it was clear that the 3rd chapter wouldn't include Selene. Underworld 1 and 2 pretty much covered everyting about her anyway.

Rhona Mitra was hot and kick ass in Doomsday but I am still a little disappointed KB was not in 3. Maybe I will change my mind after I actually see the movie? In my queue. Not going to blind buy.
Tags: Underworld Rise Of The Lycans Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009
1 2  3 

Up
Mobile  Desktop