Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 89 Minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Cantonese
Starring: Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway, Kristen Johnston, Bryan Greenberg, Candice Bergen
Directed by: Gary Winick
Music by: Edward Shearmur
Written by: Greg DePaul, Casey Wilson, June Diane Raphael
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2009

"Even best friends can't share the same wedding day"

Film Synopsis:

Best friends Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Liv (Kate Hudson) have always dreamed of being married at the Plaza Hotel in the month of June. Planning on wedding their respective husbands-to-be, everything seems to be going perfectly - the dates are set, their dresses are beautiful and the maids of honor - each other - are as joyful as can be. However, when the pair of friends receives the bad news that their weddings were planned for the same day, the pre-wedding bliss is ruined. With neither willing to give up her dream wedding, Liv and Emma declare themselves to be engaged in the most heated and dangerous kind of war known to man: The Bride Wars.

My Take:

Bride wars is your typical run of the mill chick flick about two life long friends that end up locked in a battle of one-upmanship over who is going to switch the date of their wedding after a scheduling mix up has them getting married on the same day/location/time. The formulaic script and premise is far from original but I found that I enjoyed this film more than I expected to. I like Kate Hudson and felt that her presence and performance provided most of the memorable moments for me. Her blue haired meltdown during the client presentation gave me a chuckle and I thought that her display of a softer side broke things up nicely. On the other hand I found Anne Hathaway's comedic timing to be off and her performance to be unaffecting and slightly robotic. It pains me to say that because I am a fan. Her performance was far from off putting. I think she and Hudson had solid onscreen chemistry which added to the film's appeal. I was shocked when I saw Kristin Johnston's first scene. She is a thin as a rail and doesn't look well. Her character was pretty annoying but glib which added a little bit of charm. The ludicrous pranks and tortuous hijinks are topped off by a knockdown, drag out wrestling match that occurs while the two stars are adorned in full wedding gown attire. Yes this is a predictable story but its harmless antics and light drama provide a few giggles and subtle audience connection that when the mood is right is entertaining just the same.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for suggestive content, language and some rude behavior.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Bride wars comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting is estimable which enhances depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. I didn't see any obvious signs of video artifacts or extraneous noise. The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't intense but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film's recorded elements.

Bonus Features:

• Something old, something new, and what that's gonna cost you - BonusView PiP feature

• (HD) 6 deleted and 1 alternate scene

• (HD) 2 improvisations - 2 minutes

• (HD) Meet me at the plaza - 6 minute featurette

• (HD) The perfect white dress - 4 minute featurette

• In character with Kate Hudson - Fox Movie Channel special - 2 minutes

• In character with Anne Hathaway - Fox Movie Channel special - 3 minutes

• (HD) Man den - 4 minute short featuring the male cast members

• (HD) Maid of honor - 4 minute feature with Michael Arden in character

• (HD) Amanda-cam: 4 minute feature with June Diana Raphael in character

• (HD) Fox on Blu-ray - 11 BD previews

• DVD Bonus Disc: Standard definition DVD copy of Bride wars

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc: Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/MAC to a portable media player

Final Thoughts:

Bride wars doesn't bring anything definitively new to the romance/buddy/comedy genre but its ingredients add up to a relatively entertaining film that doesn't attempt to be more than it is. Fox brings it to Blu-ray Disc offering high quality video and lossless sound in addition to above average special features that include both a bonus standard DVD version of the film as well as a Digital Copy disc. This allows fans flexible options so that they then can enjoy the film anywhere anytime. If you're in the mood for a lighthearted comedy give this one a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This movie is pure garbage. I would rather mow my lawn with a pair of scissors.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Liked: 12
Ralph,

Good review....pretty much spot on. I rented this for the wife and watched it with her. I didn't expect much from it, but found it had some funny moments and was better than expected. You said it best when you said, "...its ingredients add up to a relatively entertaining film that doesn’t attempt to be more than it is."

Nice work as always!
post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

This movie is pure garbage. I would rather mow my lawn with a pair of scissors.

Agree 100%. This is one the worst movies I've watched this decade. Pure stupidity (IMHO).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
How timely... I am curious to know.. of you folks who watched (endured? this (BTW: I thought it an entertaining movie conducive to a terrific snuggle-fest with my wife):

Who detected the very low sonic sweeps coming out of this movie? What do I mean: In certain scenes of the movie there is a very low signal coming out of my subwoofer. By low, I mean, repeatedly I stopped the movie and went upstairs to see if there was a thunderstorm going on off in the distance. After some rewinding, I found that it was indeed coming from the movie. I mean, creepy crawly all over your skin/body, occasionally accompanied by some very deep audible rumbling.

Would be fine, if it were during the numerous explosion scenes and gun battles (8^) ... just kidding, there weren't any of course. A singular example is during the scene where they first meet the wedding planner (during the office visit, sorry, I don't have the time mark). There is no reason for this much ultralow sonic frequency to be present here. I even played one or two of the scenes for another HT enthusiast friend and we both agreed that this must have been data captured during filming and a somewhat lazy sound engineer just figured no one would have a system capable of rendering it so they left it in....

What are your thoughts?

Thousands of experiments have conclusively proven that beating drums and clashing cymbals brings back the sun after a total eclipse.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Agree 100%. This is one the worst movies I've watched this decade. Pure stupidity (IMHO).

Greetings,

Considering the number of movies you have watched in the last decade I find that pretty incredible.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Three words, The Love Guru.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

That's another one

The issue I had with the movie was the plausibility aspect. It tried to play it straight but the story was so far-fetched and non-realistic it amazed me how poorly it was executed. Neither of the leads were sympathetic....frankly, I was hoping both would get his by a bus or cab when crossing the street. Every movie should have at least on hero, and there were none to be had here...I was rooting against both females to fail. Even my wife thought it sucked, and she LOVES "chick flicks."

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #9 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Two words , Surfer Dude .

And when there was no crawdad we ate sand .
You ate sand ?!
We ate sand .
post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I love all the reviews this movie is getting. LOL

As painful as this movie was i saw it and had to cleanse myself after seeing it. lol Make sure you watch The Midnight Meat Train after seeing this movie to balance out your manhood. lol

Thanks for the usual Ralph.

Cheers
post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I watched this movie last night and the plot was so so...kind of repetitive... Although it had its good moments... Picture quality was good but not demo material... The audio is what you can expect from this type of movie....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Having been married to the same wonderful woman for 28 years now, I make room for chick flicks and other things my wife would like to watch with me. She in turn will watch things I have a preference for and has no problem with that.

That said, I found this movie to be enjoyable if a little bit childish and shallow. It's a fun movie and uses a few basic human behaviors to present a story that is more realistic than some of you are willing to admit. People can be VERY petty and will virtually destroy friendships and family relationships over the dumbest things. It's called getting a wild hair and I have seen plenty of it from the human race. The movie makes an effort to try to help you see where the problems are in one of the two couples lives but I think if they really fleshed out some of the holes in the plot, the movie would probably drag a bit an lose it's comedic flavor.

In the end, it's the type of movie I call the Saturday Matinee. You watch it for a little diversion and a few laughs but don't take it too seriously. Much like watching Stargate Atlantis.

That ought to stimulate the conversation!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page