Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Skynet Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't see a way so far. Haven't checked all disc stuff yet. Agree there should be a way to go through them somehow through a menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Received my copy today, time to sell the old unopened version.

Frank

post #33 of 60 Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Liked: 10
I played my copy last night. If i bitstream the sound from my samsung P1600 to my denon 1909 receiver, i get a strong audio delay/lip sync problem. If I PCM it, its fine. Is my receiver delaying the audio because its processing 6.1 into 5.1 and not handling it too great?
post #34 of 60 Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 AM

What do people think about the menu design/navigation?

The whole title is authored in BD-J and was wondering what people's opinions were (especially after reading some of the sentiments coming out of other threads).

Specifically regarding loading times, ease of use, and special features (like the games and trivia track, etc).
post #35 of 60 Old 06-04-2009, 05:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I thought this Skynet edition was, overall, better visually than the prior Blu Ray (perhaps there is some DNR, but the overall rendition has more clarity and depth than the first)

I did think the image was at times "hot', especially in the night scenes where there strong highlights on faces - I could see some specular blowout. Most other scene without such high contrast seemed fine. I'll need to spend a little more time comparing the previous version with this new version to see if the blowout was an issue with that one - though I don't recall it being so.

I also was mildly disappointed with the DTS-HD soundtrack - low end extension seemed sporadic, and the sense on envelopment was not consistently strong - but maybe this is just the quality of the original source (almost 20 years old - yikes!)

Not sure if it's a worthy purchase if you have the previous BR, but certainly worth acquiring if the title is not in the BR library yet.

Interesting you observed the Bass was sporadic. I got the same impression, particularly at the start where I though the Foot/Skull crash was positively pathetic even compared with the Laserdisc I own. Actually the entire first scene up to the credits is extremely disappointing in my eyes and I have an excellent system (JL Audio Fathom f113). I tried Batman Dark Knight and Hulk to be sure it wasn't my system and they sounded superb with strong bass extension. It's either the heavy usage of DNR or the fact it's a 20 year old soundtrack but if the Laserdisc sounded better then something has gone drastically wrong with this mix. Mind you I haven't listened to the whole movie yet and I got "indications" of better Bass. The first scene has ALWAYS been a benchmark in Surround for me and I think on BD it's woeful.

Cheers

Blade
post #36 of 60 Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Ralph, could you please tell me about the deleted scenes?
post #37 of 60 Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
does this have all 3 version of the film(extender, theatrical, and special)?

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #38 of 60 Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

does this have all 3 version of the film(extender, theatrical, and special)?

Yes, and similar to the DVD, you have to enter the date of Judgement Day (82997) to get the special extended version.

Each time you watch it. But not really a big deal.

The only thing that bugs me about this disk is the slow menu load and laggy menu response time.
post #39 of 60 Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Finally got a chance to check this title out. I found the sound very good but came to the conclusion that the image overall was ok as I thought it a tad softer than I remember. I have read elsewhere that DNR was applied a little too liberally and I think that right.

However, my big beef is what I think was the massively ill advised move to load virtually ALL of the supplemental materials as pop-ups, trivia tracks, etc. to play along with the film. NONE of it is accessible as separate extras, except for a couple of alternate/deleted scenes and the trailers. One has to sit through the film 5 or 6 times simply to view/listen to the stuff that should have been at least made available on their own in the Ancillary Data menu.

I thought better of Van Ling here. He did such superior work in the past. I remember the laserdisc collectors edition he supervised for this movie years ago that contained one of the most comprehensive surveys of how movies are made from pre to post prod. I had ever seen.

This increasingly constant aim for interactivity eludes me. I would ask those of you out there that love supplements and take the time to go through them as I do, did you honestly spend all those hours sitting through this film multiple times simply to access these admittedly interesting back ground featurettes and docs? If so more power to you I guess. My leisure time and that of most people I know is somewhat finite. This is simply a waste of it or at the least a very badly managed one.

I would hope Mr. Ling and others of his ilk would think this out a little and at least give us the option to access this stuff separately and with little fuss.

I fear I'm in the distinct minority here but maybe I'm wrong. I think this film is great and the extras it has sported in the past (the last version I own is the "Ultimate Edition" std. DVD, which had complex menus that took time to get through the supplements as I remember but I was ultimately successful) are commendable. It is just too bad that I won't have the time and patience to access them now.

What a shame. I suppose I could hold out for the next BD edition but I doubt its supps will be any better improved.
post #40 of 60 Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 AM

On the PS3 the video quality is the best I've seen the film look. However, like others, my other blu-ray player will not play the disc. On PS3 I only have access to compressed audio, and though it was as good as any release of the film that I remember I hope Pioneer can figure out why their players are having such difficulty with this disc. Then I'll be able to hear it with the new audio format.
post #41 of 60 Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post

On the PS3 the video quality is the best I've seen the film look. However, like others, my other blu-ray player will not play the disc. On PS3 I only have access to compressed audio, and though it was as good as any release of the film that I remember I hope Pioneer can figure out why their players are having such difficulty with this disc. Then I'll be able to hear it with the new audio format.

For PS3 playback I had to manually set the HDMI audio to match the SPEAKERS in my 5.1 system (not 7.1 which my receiver is capable, which is what DTS must use). DTS-HD/MA has a new interface which is making a graveyard out of even the latest Blu-ray players. This is a first.

For Panasonic BD-60 player I have to set the "auto" audio setting to multi-channel for every DTS-HD/MA encoded disc. This is another first.

The cumbersome tiring loading of the extras and accessing the Internet without my permission is unforgivable. Obviously paranoid freaks out-of-control. We should fine them $90,000 per unauthorized Internet Access for not respecting our privacy.
My solution is to remove the Internet cable except for firmware updates.

They also disable the chapter forward and fast-forward and menu buttons to force themselves upon us. Both disgusting behavior and poor design!
post #42 of 60 Old 06-24-2009, 03:44 AM

What a great film.
post #43 of 60 Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 AM

I loved this film, too! I had no loading issues with my Samsung Bp-1600, which loaded everything quite quickly. However, during the movie, there were about 3 scenes, where strangely there was a video freeze on the screen, while the audio continued. When the 5 to 15 second video freezes ended, everything was fine with video and audeo in sync. I am not sure what was causing this since the disk looked clean. (I had just upgraded my firmware to v.1.03, so hopefully this was not the problem.)

Has anybody else experienced this?
post #44 of 60 Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

They also disable the chapter forward and fast-forward and menu buttons to force themselves upon us. Both disgusting behavior and poor design!

If so I will smash this movie and send it back to the manufacturer. Hopefully the PS3 will play it correctly. I just sold my unopened previous BD version. Maybe I should buy it back.
post #45 of 60 Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM

The disk intro is among the worst, especially if you don't had internet connecting to the player, everytime the pop up message will appear if for retry connection, even you cancel you has to wait like a minute to load to main menu (i had ps3 and oppo)

As the PQ is top notch, one of best near 20 years transfer movie in blu-ray, no noise issue and most of the time picture is pretty sharp.

SQ is top notch as well, except 6.1 do not appear mislead from the case.

Anyway this is the full uncut version which is what i wanted.
post #46 of 60 Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I had forgotten what a fun movie this. I saw it when it came out years ago and the experience is the same on this BD. Looks great. Sounds great. We need more fun movies like this in the genre.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #47 of 60 Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Will be watching this one finally!!

Frank

post #48 of 60 Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched this one last night the PQ wasn't too bad at all. The sound quality was good to.

Frank

post #49 of 60 Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Watched this one last night the PQ wasn't too bad at all. The sound quality was good to.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Frank..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #50 of 60 Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 AM

i'll second the comment thats its has primo sound quality [img]http://imagesshack.info/************[/img]
post #51 of 60 Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Liked: 29
T2 has always been my reference HT disc that you could show off. What a disappointing BD!

The sound quality is terrible compared to my older DVD copies of this great movie.

There is definitely way too much DNR throughout. Now I see why they only charge $10.

This is now my first BD coaster!
post #52 of 60 Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Liked: 12
I'm looking at getting the T2 Blu-ray Skynet edition.
(already have T2 extended edition DVD, still sealed)
How much extra footage does the 82997 Easter Egg add to the movie?
Djyinn likes this.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #53 of 60 Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I just ordered a set of all 4 Terminator movies online, and it includes this "Skynet Edition" of T2. I read that there is an option within the disc itself to view the movie with DTS HD Master Audio OR a THX version...is this true? If so, is one accepted as "better" than the other?

post #54 of 60 Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Am I the only one that finds it ALARMING that NO ONE mentioned the fact that there is an easteregg version of the film on this blu ray!? The same reason that made the Ultimate Edition (Not the Extreme Edition) such a HOT collectors item on Blu Ray?

When you are at the menu selecting the film you wanna watch (Theatrical or Extended) there is a space with several stars below it. Input the date of Judgement Day (if you forget it, it is mentioned in the film where Sarah is having her review with the doctor) (8/29/97 without the slahes, obviously) and that will turn the menu into a whole other version of the film, with ALL the deleted scenes edited back into it, the original ending edited onto the end, and in full DTS!!!

Please, leave feedback if you didn't know about this and are going to watch this DEFINITIVE version of the film! wink.gif
post #55 of 60 Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

I'm looking at getting the T2 Blu-ray Skynet edition.

(already have T2 extended edition DVD, still sealed)

How much extra footage does the 82997 Easter Egg add to the movie?
Sorry "Tacoboy", did not see this post
post #56 of 60 Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks for your review, I learned "I'll be back" from this movie, that's so cool!
post #57 of 60 Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

When will James Cameron be back to remaster T2?frown.gif

Blu-ray : 340
post #58 of 60 Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djyinn View Post

Am I the only one that finds it ALARMING that NO ONE mentioned the fact that there is an easteregg version of the film on this blu ray!? The same reason that made the Ultimate Edition (Not the Extreme Edition) such a HOT collectors item on Blu Ray?
When you are at the menu selecting the film you wanna watch (Theatrical or Extended) there is a space with several stars below it. Input the date of Judgement Day (if you forget it, it is mentioned in the film where Sarah is having her review with the doctor) (8/29/97 without the slahes, obviously) and that will turn the menu into a whole other version of the film, with ALL the deleted scenes edited back into it, the original ending edited onto the end, and in full DTS!!!
Please, leave feedback if you didn't know about this and are going to watch this DEFINITIVE version of the film! wink.gif
They did something similar with the DVD version I have, If you enter in the date of judgement day on the menu screen, another version of the film is displayed as a choice. The super extended version with the different ending. That is the one I normally watch when I watch T2.
Djyinn likes this.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #59 of 60 Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

They did something similar with the DVD version I have, If you enter in the date of judgement day on the menu screen, another version of the film is displayed as a choice. The super extended version with the different ending. That is the one I normally watch when I watch T2.

That should have read "The same reason that made the Ultimate Edition (Not the Extreme Edition) such a HOT collectors item on DVD"

yes, I own several copies of the Ultimate Edition on DVD since it was so hard to find specifically for that reason smile.gif The Definitive way to watch T2 in my opinion, is the extended special edition. I am so glad it got included on the Blu Ray.... and even still has the charm of being an easteregg
post #60 of 60 Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Bumping an old thread...  Does anyone know if the extras from the Ultimate and Extreme DVD versions have been carried over to the Skynet Blu-ray?  I haven't had much luck comparing names of the various features across editions and an wondering if it's worth ditching the two DVDs and keeping just the Blu-ray on the shelf.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Terminator 2 Judgment Day Skynet Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page