Starring: Jaime King, Jensen Ackles, Kerr Smith, Kevin Tighe
Directed by: Patrick Lussier
Music by: Michael Wandmacher
Written by: Todd Farmer and Zane Smith based on the story by Stephen Miller
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 19, 2009

"Get your heart broken"

Film Synopsis:

Ten years ago in the town of Harmony, an inexperienced coal miner caused an accident that trapped and killed five men and sent the only survivor, Harry Warden, into a coma. When Harry woke, exactly one year later on Valentine's Day, he wanted revenge and brutally murdered 22 people with a pickaxe before being killed himself. Now, after years of peace, something from Harmony's dark past has returned. Wearing a miner's mask and armed with a pickaxe, an unstoppable killer is on the loose. As his footsteps come ever closer, the townspeople realize in terror that it just might be Harry Warden who has found his way back.

My Take:

I don't consider myself a fan of slasher movies but I have nothing overtly against them either. My Bloody Valentine 3D follows the same formula as most films of its type. It revolves around a masked maniacal killer who preys upon the victims of a small community. In this case it is a mining community that had to endure 22 similar killings 10 years earlier after a mining accident. He is back (or is he?) for another round of killings as he terrorizes those who managed to survive his last onslaught. Genre fans should get a kick out of this film as it offers plenty of blood, gore, and pick axe swinging mayhem. The story is pretty shallow but does have a reasonable premise. Jaime King, Jensen Ackles, and Kerr Smith play the principle characters. It wastes no time in getting right to it during an opening flashback sequence that depicts the earlier killings before the film jumps to present. It threw in a minor plot twist and there was a moderate level of suspense which kept it moving. What elevated this film to a bit more of an enjoyable experience was its use of 3D effects. I thought the 3D effects were engaging and occasionally convincing enough to illicit a physical response. For those who might not want to watch the film in 3D Lionsgate has included a 2D version as well. When all was said and done I wasn't really affected by My Bloody Valentine. The story and characters weren't truly interesting but genre fans should enjoy its quick pacing and high body count. On the plus side its 3D effects were right on the money.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for graphic brutal horror violence and grisly images throughout, some strong sexuality, graphic nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

My Bloody Valentine 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.3 mbps.

Lionsgate has included a 2D version in addition to the 3D version. The 2D version has a clean, polished look that offers plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that falls just shy of the definitive delineation offered by the best high definition available on Blu-ray Disc. Colors are rather bland and uninteresting as the palette is limited to sepia tones and drab hues that don't offer much to catch the eye. Rendering is excellent though and the balance is kept in proper focus which mates well with the films overall visual perspective. Fleshtones are devoid of life and appear drab/flat which also seems to coincide with a stylistic choice by the filmmakers as it seems to be innate and related to the photography. Blacks are respectable for the most part but appear inconsistent as depth can be scene dependent. Shadow detail is quite good and reveals plenty of visible delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting.

The 3D version has a filtered and washed out appearance when compared to the 2D version. This is a result of the 3D process which under the circumstances is tolerable since it would be tough to have your cake (although that would be great) and eat it too. I thought the 3Dimesional effects were excellent. Images onscreen had a noticeable sense of scale as their distinct placement within the frame was discernible. Flying objects, things coming toward you or even sticking out here and there had excellent depth and a reach out and touch quality that seemed measurable. I thought that even though the video lacked clearly defined colors that overall definition was quite good. This left images looking fairly resolute which helped enhance the visual perspective of people/objects in the foreground and background. There is no question that looking at the film this way has its ups and downs. The anaglyph process does not lend images to appear totally satisfying and the glasses aren't especially comfortable. Personally I find that watching films this way becomes fatiguing to my eyes after prolonged periods. On the hand the experience when done well can be lots of fun. In this case I think that the good outweighed the bad which helped to make this film a bit more enjoyable.

The 7.1 channel lossless sound mix made excellent use of the entire system. This film has an active sound design that maintains good balance so the multitude of sound effects, music and dialogue can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is clearly articulated with excellent room penetration. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field which established a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what was being heard within the room. This applied to the additional rear channels as well. This created an immersive and engaging soundscape that wasn't overly aggressive but was abundantly rich in detail. Low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer delivers rich, well extended bass response that provided tactilely dynamic impact that was occasionally room filling. I thought that this was an excellent and involving surround sound mix that enhanced to the three dimensional aspects of this film.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Patrick Lussier and Co-Writer Todd Farmer

• Deep Inside My Bloody Valentine: 7 minute making of featurette

• Sex, Blood and Screams: The Special Make-Up FX of My Bloody Valentine - 5 minute featurette

• 14 Deleted/Extended scenes

• Gag reel - 2 minutes

• Tom, Pick, and Harry: Alternate ending

• MoLog - Movie Blog network connected community and interactive movie blog tool set

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Lionsgate Live (BD-Live) - enabled

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/MAC to a portable media device

Final Thoughts:

My Bloody Valentine 3D isn't great cinema but it is fun and entertaining if kept in the proper context. The 3D effects are excellent and with the four pairs of glasses that are included you can watch it with a group on a rainy night and have a ball. Its high definition video quality in 3D is about what you might expect although it is better than I anticipated. The 2D version fares much better but isn't nearly as much fun. The 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound offers an engaging home theater experience that accentuates the dimensional aspects of the 3D video. The bonus supplements are just average but the addition of a Digital Copy Disc is always a plus. If you're already a fan, feel free to pick this one up. Otherwise it is easily worth the cost of a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi Ralph!

I enjoy, and look forward to your reviews, but am wondering how this film garnered the same 84 for picture quality as the DNR'd, and EE'd new T2 disc? Was it due to the 3D version, or based off the 2d version? I've seen the 2D one, and felt the resolution and detail were very good. I know this is all subjective, but think others may shy away from this release due to the fairly low picture score.

Thanks!
Art
post #3 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Hi Ralph!

I enjoy, and look forward to your reviews, but am wondering how this film garnered the same 84 for picture quality as the DNR'd, and EE'd new T2 disc? Was it due to the 3D version, or based off the 2d version? I've seen the 2D one, and felt the resolution and detail were very good. I know this is all subjective, but think others may shy away from this release due to the fairly low picture score.

Thanks!
Art

Greetings,

The rating is a combination of the two. Overall picture quality is very good though. My reasons for its rating are outlined in my review. The same goes for T2 which I won't discuss here.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this in the theatre. And it was incredibly entertaining. Thanks for the solid review Ralph [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG].
post #5 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm interested in renting this but I'm just wondering if it will come with the 3d glasses? LOL? It's in my netflix que, and it doesn't seem as though it does with come with the glasses.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #6 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review.I thought this BD was the great Wow!3-D experience ever after watching 2 nights ago.This 3-D experience was better than Jouney to the center of the earth and The Polar Express with a nice 7.1 surround sound.The action began since the logo of Lionsgate,it looked very 3 dimention,just my opinion.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm interested in renting this but I'm just wondering if it will come with the 3d glasses? LOL? It's in my netflix que, and it doesn't seem as though it does with come with the glasses.

Greetings,

Each disc comes with the 4 pairs. I would hope that they include them with the rental. But I agree that is an interesting concern. Drop them an e-mail.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
At Blockbuster they are selling the 3D glasses for 15 cents per pair. At least at my store.

To me, it seems like this movie was made just to try and get 3D a bigger push out on the market. It wasn't a great movie or anything. Just one of those movies to push the whole 3D onto consumers. Personally, I opted for the 2D version of the movie. I just can't sit through and watch a whole movie with those annoying glasses on. I guess it would be kind of cool to put them on during a few scenes though.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Each disc comes with the 4 pairs. I would hope that they include them with the rental. But I agree that is an interesting concern. Drop them an e-mail.

Regards,

A copy should be home when I get there this evening also from Netflix. I already have glasses (analglyph) from another 3D movie so I'm good there but was wondering if when a standard is selected for home use, will movies such as this that have been released in 3D have to be remastered for use with say polarized glasses?
post #10 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

..... but was wondering if when a standard is selected for home use, will movies such as this that have been released in 3D have to be remastered for use with say polarized glasses?

The 3D version in its current form would not work with the polarized glasses. It would have to be separate streams for each eye.

Art
post #11 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
My copy arrived from Netflix and like "Journey" I can't seem to find the 3D version.

I can't believe the studios would go through the expense and trouble to make a seperate 2d only version but I guess they did.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

At Blockbuster they are selling the 3D glasses for 15 cents per pair. At least at my store.

To me, it seems like this movie was made just to try and get 3D a bigger push out on the market. It wasn't a great movie or anything. Just one of those movies to push the whole 3D onto consumers. Personally, I opted for the 2D version of the movie. I just can't sit through and watch a whole movie with those annoying glasses on. I guess it would be kind of cool to put them on during a few scenes though.

I was pleasantly surprised about this at Blockbuster as well when I was in today.....they had a HUGE stack of these. So will these glasses work with Journey to the Center of the Earth? I will give it a rent if so.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #13 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post

I saw this in the theatre. And it was incredibly entertaining. Thanks for the solid review Ralph [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG]

Same here. Good review but the movie was not so good.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Quick question, do I need to crank up the contrast or brightness or anything to get the best of 3D viewing? Thanks in advance!
post #15 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

My copy arrived from Netflix and like "Journey" I can't seem to find the 3D version.

I can't believe the studios would go through the expense and trouble to make a seperate 2d only version but I guess they did.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Completely agree what's the point imo..
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page