Feature running time: 124 Minutes
Genre: Thriller/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Harrison ford, Wendy Crewson, Gary Oldman, William H. Macy, Paul Guilfoyle, Dean Stockwell, Glenn Close, Leisel Matthews, Bill Smitrovich, Xander Berkley
Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen
Music by: Jerry Goldsmith
Written by: Andrew W. Marlowe
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 2, 2009

"Get off my plane!"

Film Synopsis:

The fate of the nation rests on the courage of one man. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman star in two-time Oscar(r) nominee Wolfgang Petersen's gripping thriller about an uncompromising U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. When Russian neo-nationalists hijack Air Force One, the world's most secure and extraordinary aircraft, the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision to give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

My Take:

Air Force One needs no introduction. It is an entertaining and exhilarating action thriller that is capably helmed by award winning director Wolfgang Petersen. Its story maintains an excellent balance that features plenty of action, suspense, intelligent writing, and character development that is built around a solid cast. At just over two hours it runs a bit long however its fervent pacing keeps interest high as the story carefully draws you in and doesn’t let go until the end. I own the Superbit DVD and enjoy revisiting it from time to time. When I saw it was announced for release on Blu-ray I eagerly awaited it. I am happy to report that I wasn’t disappointed with its presentation (read below) but unfortunately the lack of bonus features continues. Regardless this disc has found a home in my collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Air Force One comes to Blu-ray Disc from Columbia Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

Having owned the Superbit DVD I was curious to see what this film would look like in high definition. This presentation has similar attributes in terms of the rendition of color, flesh tones, and grain. Colors are satisfying, with vibrant reds and well balanced secondary hues that appear natural. Fleshtones are on the warm side with light, golden complexions that have rosy highlights. Grain is naturally rendered and is consistently conveyed in moderate even layers over the course of the presentation. Where I noted a discernible improvement is in black levels and overall depth/delineation. Detail is in the faces, hair and clothing of the cast is overtly distinguishable. Objects within backgrounds have definitive lines and apparent texture that offers good dimensional perspective during wide angle camera pans. Blacks are solid, with excellent dynamic range and well balanced contrast. Dark scenes have perceptible depth of field with visible gradational structure in low lit backgrounds. I noticed a few edge enhanced lines here and there but nothing that infringed upon fidelity. This presentation easily bests the Superbit DVD and offers fans a chance to see this film looking better than ever on home video.

The original lossy Dolby/DTS soundtracks on the SB DVD always sounded great. Like the video presentation this lossless audio mix has similar attributes but offers an improved experience. First and foremost Jerry Goldsmith’s rousing music score has never sounded better. The orchestrated elements sound smooth, refined and dynamically strong as they are presented through the front three channels with excellent channel separation and stereo imaging. The surrounds carry ambient extension that gives the music a full bodied and more immersive quality that is enriching. The bass drum carries hearty and palpable impact as its thunderous strikes resonate deep within the room. This film has an active surround mix that makes frequent use of the entire platform. There are a plethora of panning effects that use the sidewalls and rear of the room to convey flybys, flyovers and side to side near field effects. The initial siege that takes place aboard the plane can be aggressive as gun fire erupts and emanates from multiple directions. The effect submerges the listening position as the halo of machine gun fire, falling brass casings and screams from the frightened passengers and terrorists fills the room. Dynamic range is quite good which provides the action based elements and music with tangible energy and concussive impact. Dialogue is intelligible, with crystal clear intonation and good room penetration. Similar to the DVD the audio mixed to the surrounds has prominent presence that borders on being a bit forward. Front and rear channel balance is maintained which keep pans tightly focused and on point. Like the video I found this to be an improvement over the DVD. The overall experience was lots of fun and as engaging as ever.

Bonus Features:

• Director commentary
attachment.php?attachmentid=143948&d=1243626040

Final Thoughts:

Air Force One is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. It’s a bit corny and requires some imagination but if you simple sit back and enjoy the ride it’s a blast. This is another strong catalog title release on Blu-ray Disc from Sony. It offers excellent audio/video quality that finds it looking better than ever. If you’re a fan this is a worthy upgrade over any previous home video version. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Loved this movie since the day I saw it in the theater. Will definitely pick this one up.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #3 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Loved this movie since the day I saw it in the theater. Will definitely pick this one up.

ditto
post #4 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've always wondered about what score this movie would get but based on Ralphs review think i'll pick this one up. I've already seen it a few times and still a great movie.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are there subtitles for the foreign language parts? The UK version didn't have any when the terrorists weren't speaking English.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Are there subtitles for the foreign language parts? The UK version didn't have any when the terrorists weren't speaking English.

Greetings,

No subs here either Eric...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM

I bought the DVD when it first came out. SPOILER ALERT: The scene where the fighters fire on Air Force One has always been one of my favorite surround sound demo scenes. I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Absurd that they dropped the trailer from the SD-DVD but it looks like it may be on the forthcoming BD of GLORY (I say may because I don't yet know if it's the original theatrical trailer or one of those godawful "Now on Home Video"-style trailers).
post #9 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any idea? how it compares with UK region free edition?
post #10 of 33 Old 05-30-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'm going to rent first and then decide if I want to purchase. It is a catalog and I suppose I knew what to expect but I was hoping for better quality. Time will tell after I check it out.
post #11 of 33 Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Since i own this on dvd,sounds like i'll have to pick up blue ray! thanks for the review.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-31-2009, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. Bluray.com gave the TrueHD track a 5.0 for AQ.

Ralph, Can the difference with your viewpoint be a case on startup of the film that DRC is set to ON in one's AVR and that's what you listened with? Can you check that please when you get the opportunity? Thanks much! I'm not sure that would change the score by that much though but we'll see.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...42&show=review
post #13 of 33 Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Ralph, Can the difference with your viewpoint be a case on startup of the film that DRC is set to ON in one's AVR and that's what you listened with? Can you check that please when you get the opportunity? Thanks much! I'm not sure that would change the score by that much though but we'll see.

Greetings,

Robert, the dynamic range compression is set to off in my setup. As I indicated in my review this is a great sounding mix and I rated it accordingly. I am very pleased with it but I don't feel it is up to the level of the best that I have heard which is what a perfect rating would require.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with worrying about variations like this. If you like this film you are safe with either a rental or purchase because it has never looked or sounded better in the home environment.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 33 Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

Since i own this on dvd,sounds like i'll have to pick up blue ray! thanks for the review. [IMG]http://www.******************/data/img/3816/q09d0506cqeo/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

yep, i'm really excited about this one. its one of my all time favorites from back in the day.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Wow I bought this movie back in the early ages of DVD, it must have been one of my first 10...I also remember getting Executive Decision along this one, I want the surround experience back then

Great to hear it's on Blu, and getting great review...

Djoel
post #16 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Robert, the dynamic range compression is set to off in my setup. As I indicated in my review this is a great sounding mix and I rated it accordingly. I am very pleased with it but I don't feel it is up to the level of the best that I have heard which is what a perfect rating would require.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with worrying about variations like this. If you like this film you are safe with either a rental or purchase because it has never looked or sounded better in the home environment.

Regards,

Thanks for checking. I am getting via Netflix as they will be shipping it today to me. If I like it enough, I'll grab it.

When I see a disparity in reviews, I try to tend to understand why and DRC is what I thought might be a reason. Getting some other opinions though, this isn't a reference audio TrueHD track so I'm back to the bluray.com review. Obviously I haven't listened yet, I'll pursue it if I feel it isn't as I don't want folks to be misled.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Thanks for checking. I am getting via Netflix as they will be shipping it today to me. If I like it enough, I'll grab it.

When I see a disparity in reviews, I try to tend to understand why and DRC is what I thought might be a reason. Getting some other opinions though, this isn't a reference audio TrueHD track so I'm back to the bluray.com review. Obviously I haven't listened yet, I'll pursue it if I feel it isn't as I don't want folks to be misled.

Greetings,

Understood. I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have checked it out.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Greetings,

Understood. I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have checked it out.

Cheers,

DVD DD 5.1 was a reference SOUNDTRACK and with BLURAY, PCM/TRUE HD it is extremely high bit rate, and still it did not come out quite ok???

What the heck sony was doing with it by toning down? Ralph, can you compare it with regular dvd DD 5.1 soundtrack on your system?
post #19 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

DVD DD 5.1 was a reference SOUNDTRACK and with BLURAY, PCM/TRUE HD it is extremely high bit rate, and still it did not come out quite ok???

What the heck sony was doing with it by toning down? Ralph, can you compare it with regular dvd DD 5.1 soundtrack on your system?

Greetings,

As I noted in my review zoro I compared the two. When this film first hit DVD years ago it was considered to be a great soundtrack (and it still is) but when compared to the best that we have seen today it isn't quite up to that level. There is NOTHING wrong with this soundtrack. In my opinion it simply isn't reference quality when compared to the best I have heard on Blu-ray but it sounds very much the way it always did which is great.

There should be nothing in this review that should be construed to mean that this lossless soundtrack sounds bad.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review but too many versions of dvds I already had,so I pass this one,thanks.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Solid review as always...

Yeah, AF1 was always one of my favorite "surround sound demos". I own both the original and the Superbit versions. I'll probably eventually get this on Blu-ray, but I'm in no hurry to get it now.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

As I noted in my review zoro I compared the two. When this film first hit DVD years ago it was considered to be a great soundtrack (and it still is) but when compared to the best that we have seen today it isn't quite up to that level. There is NOTHING wrong with this soundtrack. In my opinion it simply isn't reference quality when compared to the best I have heard on Blu-ray but it sounds very much the way it always did which is great.

There should be nothing in this review that should be construed to mean that this lossless soundtrack sounds bad.

Regards,

I know the score of 82 doesn't per se mean the soundtrack sounds bad or there is something wrong with it but that is far and away lower than reference. That is why I questioned the audio to begin with after reading the bluray.com review and seeing the score for the audio.

I see Defiance also received the same scoring. That one was shipped via Netflix as well. I doubt I'll get to both today but I'll see how I feel about the audio on that one as well.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the nice review Ralph. I wasn't gonna buy this title again (I have the DVD and the Superbit) - but now I think I'll pick it up.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I watched last night via rental from Netflix. I'd say perhaps slightly above average quality for a catalog.

I don't agree with the 5.0 AQ score on bluray.com review there. I definitely needed to mess with the volume from time to time as the dialogue was strained and could have been better. Even so, the soundtrack and effects were very good but not up there amongst the better TrueHD tracks I have encountered to get a reference score. BTW, I noted now that HDD also gave the AQ a reference score today as well.

My local Best Buy did not have this title yesterday when I checked at lunch time. I really wasn't planning on buying it given their asking price anyway.
post #25 of 33 Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Well I watched last night via rental from Netflix. I'd say perhaps slightly above average quality for a catalog.

I don't agree with the 5.0 AQ score on bluray.com review there. I definitely needed to mess with the volume from time to time as the dialogue was strained and could have been better. Even so, the soundtrack and effects were very good but not up there amongst the better TrueHD tracks I have encountered to get a reference score. BTW, I noted now that HDD also gave the AQ a reference score today as well.

My local Best Buy did not have this title yesterday when I checked at lunch time. I really wasn't planning on buying it given their asking price anyway.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Robert...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 33 Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw it today. The picture was very nice in general. There were a few rough patches but overall a really nice, strong, sharp picture.

The sound is killer. Amazing track especially given the year it came out. Just short of reference for me. Had a lot of fine detail to the sound effects. Not only could you hear the bullet shells fall to the ground, but you could hear them as they slid across the floor. Panning was crazy in this film but what a ride! I loved it all but the sound effects did drown out dialogue at times.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

bluray.com has a tendancy to overate audio IMO at times on these BR discs from all the reviews I have read........I have found Ralphs reviews to be WAY more accurate as far as audio. Just my opinion.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #28 of 33 Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

bluray.com has a tendancy to overate audio IMO at times on these BR discs from all the reviews I have read........I have found Ralphs reviews to be WAY more accurate as far as audio. Just my opinion.

Let us know what you think about this audio track. I'd sure like your opinion on it as well. The dialog didn't thrill me on this, not the entire time but enough that it took away from my experience watching this. When I have to fuss with the volume especially, that is definitely a strike against.
post #29 of 33 Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post

Solid review as always...

Yeah, AF1 was always one of my favorite "surround sound demos". I own both the original and the Superbit versions. I'll probably eventually get this on Blu-ray, but I'm in no hurry to get it now.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I'm actually of the same opinion..i'm going to wait & get it, lot better films to pick up first
post #30 of 33 Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

Let us know what you think about this audio track. I'd sure like your opinion on it as well. The dialog didn't thrill me on this, not the entire time but enough that it took away from my experience watching this. When I have to fuss with the volume especially, that is definitely a strike against.

Will do Robert I will throw out my opinion either here or in the audio tier thread (or both) after I watch this, but it probably wont be until next week unfortunately sounds like dialog is a bit of an issue.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Air Force One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Air by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page