Studio and Year: ABC Studios/Disney - 2004/2005
MPAA Rating: TV-14
Feature running time: 1068 Minutes
Genre: TV Drama/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Naveen Andrews, Terry O'Quinn, Maggie Grace, , Malcolm David Kelly, Yunjin Kim, Daniel Dae Kim, Ian Somerhalder, Dominic Monahan, Harold Perrineau
Directed by: Various
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 16, 2009

"On this island survival is not a game"

Film Synopsis:

Get lost in the hottest series of the year. From J.J. Abrams, the creator of Alias, comes the action-packed adventure that became a worldwide television event. Stranded on an island that holds many secrets, 48 people must band together if they hope to get home alive.

My Take:

When Lost debuted in 2004 we were anxious to see what it was all about. The trailers we had seen looked intriguing. Needless to say we were not disappointed. The show featured a fresh writing, suspense filled moments, and character driven storylines that were captivating. The weekly entanglements were addicting as we found ourselves tuning in to see what the island had in store for the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815. Character connection and development are strong, the writing is conceptually creative and fresh, and the thrills/action are engaging and continuous. Not only do the survivors have to contend with being marooned on an island with little hope of rescue but the island itself holds dark, ominous perils that defy explanation. This is in addition to the unexplained phenomena such as those stricken with paralysis before arriving on the island suddenly being able to walk, or visions of dead loved ones. Lastly, is their discovery of the presence of the others who are people that inhabit the island. Their origination and purpose aren't readily clear however their intention to infiltrate and abduct the survivors leaves everyone suspicious and not knowing who to trust. Amidst all of this we are treated to the continuing interpersonal relationships that ebb and flow among the survivors. This is where the show excels as the main character base has excellent depth. The season plays out carefully over its 25 episodes as the intensity of the storyline and depth of the characters is peeled back in layers. Many questions loom, some unanswered, others, left up to interpretation but there is never any doubt that each episode has something interesting, exciting and entertaining in store. Creators J.J. Abrams, Jeffrey Lieber and Damon Lindelof struck gold with Lost. Its blend of character driven drama, interpretative/open ended plotlines, science fiction and action/adventure make it one of the most original, enthralling, and entertaining television series ever. Season 1 contains some of the shows best elements, which includes the outstanding pilot episode. As I watched these episodes that I have already seen I found myself totally engrossed, again. The series is spread over seven dual layered BD-50 Blu-ray discs and features Disney's excellent Season Play feature which keeps track of where viewers left off via a profile selectable memory. Whether you're a fan or have never seen Lost this complete season 1 set on Blu-ray makes for an engaging experience that is required viewing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Lost: The complete first season comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 mbps.

In reviewing my notes I saw that many of my comments regarding this video presentation closely mimicked those from my Blu-ray review of Lost: Season Four. Here are my remarks from that review:

I was happy with the quality of this video presentation as it looked reminiscent of what the show looked like when it was broadcast in high definition. I always thought it looked very good for cable TV in high definition. Colors are visually stimulating with deeply saturated hues that easily convey the lush jungles, coastline vistas and landscapes on the island. Skin tones are beautifully rendered with excellent tonal quality, lifelike texture and diverse complexional highlights. Images are crisp with defining textural detail, stable sharpness and two dimensional perspective that enhances long range camera shots. Blacks are strong with good delineation and shadow detail offers visible gradational depth in dark backgrounds and low lit sequences. A few of the darker sequences looked a little noisy but it wasn't quantifiable or problematic.

There is a thin veil of grain that permeates the video. It occasionally takes on more prominence but rendering is natural and unobtrusive. The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is superb. This mix generates an active sound field filled with discrete/directional effects that can bombard the senses. Solid dynamic quality and crystal clarity help enhance the sometimes tumultuous and fairly aggressive nature of the mix during action based sequences. The variable depth of the soundstage is appreciable as the sounds of the island creates an immerse soundscape that encases the sweet spot. Bass is deep and room penetrating as low frequency energy resonates with authority and tactile purpose. Sound effects are well placed and are executed with transparent precision that can sometimes be jarring. Dialogue is full bodied, well intonated and aurally descriptive throughout. This is a highly detailed, involving and fairly complex surround mix that I found to be quite impressive.

Bonus Features:

• Five audio commentaries featuring comprehensive discussions with series creators, several members of the cast members, and production staff
  • Three segmented features - Departure, Tales from the island and Lost revealed:

• Departure - 6 featurettes:

1. The genesis of Lost
    2. Designing a disaster
    3. Before they were Lost
    4. Welcome to Oahu: The making of the pilot
    5. The art of Matthew Fox
    6. Lost @ Comicon

• Tales from the island - 3 featurettes:

1. Lost on location
    2. On the set with Jimmy Kimmel
    3. Backstage with Driveshaft

• Lost revealed - 5 featurettes:

1. The Lost flashbacks
    2. Deleted scenes
    3. Bloopers
    4. Live from the Museum of Television & Radio
    5. Flashbacks & Mythology

• Disney Season Play

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

Final Thoughts:

Lost: The complete first season is arguably the shows best but that of course is a matter of opinion. It is my personal favorite and there is no disputing that its high definition debut from Disney Blu-ray Disc is simply marvelous. This is a well rounded package that features excellent audio/video quality, Disney's viewer friendly Season Play feature, and a comprehensive set of bonus supplements that serve as the icing on the cake. Not to be missed, this is a must own for fans of the show. If you have never seen Lost this makes for a perfect introduction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Best Show Currently On TV
I'll be waiting til all 6 seasons are on BluRay and buy a box set though
post #3 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This & S2 are already headed my way. Have S3&4 BD sets already.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Liked: 10
hmmm. I'm wondering if this is worth a rewatch, and an upgrade from DVD [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2658/*************************[/IMG]
post #5 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

I have to agree with Mr. Potts, i think the first season was the best.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I live and breath LOST, listening to no less than 6 hours a week of podcasts dedicated to unraveling it. Looking forward to owning this one! However, I too will wait for a box set after completion.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #7 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

one thing that I don't like is that they don't add the extra info feature from when they did reruns. it's a great add-on for vets and newcomers.

Don't know if I'll upgrade the dvd sets to BR right away but hopefully a good sale will help sooner or later.

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #8 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I live and breath LOST, listening to no less than 6 hours a week of podcasts dedicated to unraveling it. Looking forward to owning this one! However, I too will wait for a box set after completion

Lol same for me..I picked up all of the seasons available, can't wait to pick up this when its done
post #9 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by viziodood View Post

Season 1 and Season 4 have been my favorite so far. Season 5 (last season) is probably 3rd.
Season 2 was the worst.... all that digging to get to the hatch in season 1, just to find out the F'ing thing had a side door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Superlative storytelling and compelling television. All involved deserve kudos.

As some others, I will likely wait for a series-set.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Liked: 17
Definitely in the pantheon of excellent television, alongside the Galactica redux and the criminally short-lived Jericho. Yet still, craptastic reality TV rules the idiot box. I weep for humanity.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 AM

Definitely one of the most engaging shows ever.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Any early sightings? I know the Street Date is the 16th, but if anyone has seen some early sightings at National B&M stores (or local MA area) please post it here. I need it NOW!!!

I've got some stuff.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamishka View Post

Definitely one of the most engaging shows ever.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

Agree..a little annoying at times leaving things on a knife edge but thats part of it.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by viziodood View Post

Don't have a "worst" season personally (even the oft-maligned 3rd season did eventually pay off - and will continue to do so thru S6), but next to the 1st I would say the most recent (5th) has been the "best" so far.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page