Friday The 13th: Part 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Friday The 13th: Part 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 08:27 AM 06-15-2009
attachment.php?attachmentid=145378&d=1245075820
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1981
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 86 Minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English/French/Spanish Mono
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Amy Steel, John Furey, Adrienne King, Kirsten Baker, Lauren-Marie Taylor
Directed by: Steve Miner
Music by: Harry Manfredini
Written by: Ron Kurz
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 16, 2009

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back to camp"

Film Synopsis:

Get ready for twice the terror with Friday the 13th Part 2: Deluxe Edition! Five years after the massacre at Camp Crystal Lake, the nerve-wracking legend of Jason Vorhees and his diabolical mother lives on. Despite ominous warnings from the locals to stay away from Camp Blood a group of counselors at a nearby summer camp decide to explore there area where seven people were brutally slaughtered. All too soon, they encounter horrors of their own and the killing begins again. You'll be at the edge of your seat for this gruesome thriller about 24 hours of bone-chilling fear!

My Take:

Friday the 13th part 2 has special meaning (or should have) to fans because it introduces the character of Jason Voorhees as he will come to be known over a popular series of sequels that will last for years. Part 2's premise is similar to the original in that a group of young camp counselors are terrorized and slaughtered by a machete carrying madman. The storyline never strays from its objective and after a quick setup our boy Jason gets right to work. I found it interesting how he seemed less physically imposing in this film after watching the most recent re-make. In the finale he has a little trouble with Ginny as she runs from him and fights back. At one point she slows him down by kicking him in the groin, an act that none have tried since. His window crashing entrance in the end is still really entertaining. While this film doesn't allow much connection to the characters I found them to be interesting and likeable enough. At 86 minutes it moves right along and its balance of suspense, thrills, requisite sensuality, and the macabre offer a dated yet fun nostalgic ride that is still entertaining. It's one of my favorite entries in the series and I think it holds up rather well.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong horror violence, nudity, sexuality and drug content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 70

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373647

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373647

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Friday the 13th part 2 comes to Blu-ray from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.4 mbps.

This high bitrate 1.85:1 framed video encoding from Paramount boasts rich, punchy colors, stable blacks and excellent clarity. I was impressed with level of detail visible in the physical features, clothing and objects during close up and mid level camera shots. The tonal variety and depth of the colors in the period clothing and during the exterior sequences shot in the wooded areas around the lake was discerning. Long range camera pans were a bit of a mixed bag but overall I found them to have fair dimensional perspective with definable detail. Grain was readily apparent and takes on heavier emphasis during several of the darkened sequences. I only found it distracting in one or two instances. Grain was much less noticeable during brighter scenes, which when coupled along its resolute level of sharpness, snappy colors and crisp definition makes for a great looking presentation of this 28 year old horror classic. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack delivered crisp, full bodied dialogue in a mostly frontal presentation that offered a few splashes of light ambience through the surround channels. There was no low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer but there really is no call for it. The blend of music, dialogue and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with excellent clarity, limited but fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the elements in the recording sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Inside Crystal Lake Memories - 11 Minutes - Discussion with author Peter Bracke

• (HD) Friday's legacy: Horror Conventions 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Lost tales from Camp Blood II - 9 minute film short

• Jason Forever - 29 minute Q&A with four actors who have played Jason Voorhees

• (HD) Original trailer

Final Thoughts:

Friday the 13th part 2 holds a special place in this classic genre series. It offers the first look/introduction of the character that will become the legend. The film has a dated feel but still retains much of its original allure. I haven't seen it in a long time and I found the experience to be both fun and nostalgic. Fans will be happy to hear that Paramount has done a wonderful job with its high definition debut on Blu-ray disc. It looks great and offers sound quality that is probably better than during its theatrical run. The bonus content is limited but the rest of the presentation more than makes up for it. Fans can feel free to pick this one up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Albert Noel's Avatar Albert Noel 10:47 AM 06-15-2009
ahh been waiting for a review of this one.
been wondering if it's worth replacing my dvd box set completely yet, and i think i will.

i'll be picking this one up for sure.
Rudiepoo1's Avatar Rudiepoo1 11:22 AM 06-15-2009
Looking forward to this one as well, been a fan for a long time! Thanks for the review.
Bruuce's Avatar Bruuce 12:00 PM 06-15-2009
Thanks for the review. Can't wait for both this and Part 3 (in 3D) =)
juda's Avatar juda 12:02 PM 06-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post

Thanks for the review. Can't wait for both this and Part 3 (in 3D) =)[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah!! 3-d will be crazy ..very nice review
butsu's Avatar butsu 08:05 PM 06-15-2009
Nice review but looking forward for rent this one,Drag Me To Hell made me too picking.
Up
Mobile  Desktop