Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 92 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean
Starring: Steve Martin, Emily Mortimer, Alfred Molina, Andy Garcia, Jean Reno, John Cleese, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Lily Tomlin, Jeremy Irons
Directed by: Harald Zwart
Music by: Henry Mancini (theme), Christophe Beck
Written by: Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber, Steve Martin
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 23, 2009

"Inspect the unexpected"

Film Synopsis:

Steve Martin returns to the scene of the fun as the brilliant, bumbling Inspector Jacques Clouseau in this side-splitting slapstick comedy for the whole family! When legendary treasures from around the world are stolen, including the priceless Pink Panther diamond, Clouseau is assigned to a dream team of international detectives who are under pressure to bring the master thief to justice before he strikes again. Co-starring Jean Reno, Alfred Molina, Andy Garcia, Lily Tomlin and John Cleese, The Pink Panther 2 will steal your heart...and keep you laughing!

My Take:

As a big fan of Peter Seller's Inspector Jacque Clouseau I wasn't overly accepting of Steve Martin's reprisal after seeing 2006's The Pink Panther. Unfortunately this installment didn't change my perspective despite a great ensemble cast. Whereas the earlier film used more dialogue and situational comedy this film uses a more physical style humor to illicit laughs. Occasionally it pays off but in most cases its slapstick/spoofs just come off as derived and hammy. I like Steve Martin and while I am not crazy about this role there is a certain amount of charm that he exudes onscreen. The plot revolves around the theft, investigation and attempted recovery of a variety of priceless artifacts from around the world, including the French Pink Panther diamond. A multicultural investigative Dream Team is assembled and goes in search of the master thief known as the Tornado. There were a few fun moments, like the one in the Italian restaurant, involving the dropping wine bottles or the exchange of quips between Closeau and Pepperidge (Alfred Molina) during their first meeting. I was surprised to see the cast of notables featured here. I thought that Jeremy Irons was seriously underused. Jean Reno and Emily Mortimer reprised their roles from the first film. I like Emily Mortimer as Nicole and enjoyed the innocent interplay between her and Closeau. I have to say that I had a hard time seeing Leon, The Professional (Reno), singing a silly song about jojoba shampoo. The film's lighthearted plotline and character driven comedic antics did provide a few chuckles but overall I felt that it relied too heavily on a standard premise and trying to be physically funny rather combining that with clever writing, and better utilization of its strong cast. It is a harmless and mildly entertaining film but not a very memorable one.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some suggestive humor, brief mild language, and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Pink Panther 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

This is a near reference video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has adequate dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't intense but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low level bass and punchy impact during several sequences featured in the film. The music score along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects plays an intricate role in this fun and sometimes active surround mix that enhances its level of enjoyment. Henry Mancini's superlative theme opens and closes the movie and sounds incredible. I could just sit and listen to it all by itself. I found this lossless surround mix to be excellent overall and appreciated its attention to detail and lack of ostentatious.

Bonus Features:

• Gag reel - 3 minutes

• (HD) Drama is easycomedy is dangerous - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) A Dream Team like no other - 14 minute featurette

• (HD) Master thief - Global crime showdown - interactive trivia game

• Bonus Disc 1: DVD containing 27 classic Pink Panther cartoons

• Bonus Disc 2: Digital Copy - Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable media device
attachment.php?attachmentid=146208&d=1245941111

Final Thoughts:

The Pink Panther 2 is a sequel to the 2006 remake of the original Pink Panther films which starred Peter Sellers. While I appreciate Steve Martin his portrayal of this beloved character doesn't' compare to Sellers'. This script adds more comedic physicality as well as a great supporting cast but ultimately it lacks the originality and spark of the classic films. It looks spectacular and sounds great on Blu-ray Disc and I appreciated Fox's inclusion of the classic Pink Panther cartoons (which I used to watch as a child on Saturday mornings). Two production featurettes, a gag reel, interactive trivia, and a Digital Copy round out the remaining bonus content. If you liked the last film or are a Steve Martin fan this is worth a purchase. Otherwise I would recommend a rental at best.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can't believe this movie even got a greenlight. Apparently enough people saw the first one to justify a sequel. Peter Seller's is rolling in his grave.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Liked: 14
Steve Martin is a great actor, but these movies were horrible compared to the originals, actually no they were just bad period.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
These movies are funny. I like the Steve Martin versions.

I dislike the Peter Sellers versions, completely. They are boring and unfunny. The Pink Panther cartoon intro sequence was the best part of the Sellers movies.

Now, please answer this question for me. If the film and audio get a score of only 2/5, and your write up says the film is only worth a rental, at best, how on EARTH did it rate a 87, which places it solidly into the Excellent category???
post #5 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

I dislike the Peter Sellers versions, completely. They are boring and unfunny. The Pink Panther cartoon intro sequence was the best part of the Sellers movies.

Now, please answer this question for me. If the film and audio get a score of only 2/5, and your write up says the film is only worth a rental, at best, how on EARTH did it rate a 87, which places it solidly into the Excellent category???

Didn't like the Peter Sellers versions? Do you think the Marx Brothers were lame also? How about The 3 Stooges?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
(90+84)/2=87
Simple arithmetic my friend.
Now if these movies were scored on content, there would probably be an uproar.
Have you ever noticed how many product reviews (in general) are always 80+?
I'm sure the fact that the manufacturers of the reviewed products are also advertisers does not create a conflict of intrest for the reviewer.
"Dont bite the hand that feeds you"
post #7 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Greetings,

I have to admit that I find it interesting how 98% of people who read my reviews understand my rating system. Perhaps its because they have read my sticky thread titled Blu-ray Disc Reviews: Introduction which explains how I rate the film and extras separately from the audio/video or maybe they simply read what it says in bold print and parenthesis at the top of the review which is pretty self explanatory.

Lord knows I don't mind explaining it but I do find it annoying when someone like yourself makes a post like this and comes off with such a flippant attitude.

Bottom line, the film received 2/5, the bonus content received 2.5/5. The audio scored 84/100 and the video 90/100 which when added and divided by two equals 87...

I am glad that you enjoyed these films. I don't share your opinion regarding the originals and to be honest I would guess that you are in the minority.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Now if these movies were scored on content, there would probably be an uproar.
Have you ever noticed how many product reviews (in general) are always 80+?
I'm sure the fact that the manufacturers of the reviewed products are also advertisers does not create a conflict of intrest for the reviewer.
"Dont bite the hand that feeds you"

Greetings,

Nice try....

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 03:21 PM

wow, 2 stars for this drek?
you must be kidding.
this has to be one of the worst movies ever made imo.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 PM

I actually liked the first Pink Panther remake well enough for what it was. This was an absolute piece of **** though. Its all really obvious slapstick humor that isn't even performed by Martin himself. Half the time its an obvious stunt double.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Liked: 17
Because if ANYONE needed to be taken out via an ingenious ambush ploy, it's Steve "Cash The Check" Martin for his participation in this SECOND cinematic abortion, wholeheartedly taking a massive dump all over Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau legacy. The last good movie Steve Martin was in was Bowfinger (debatable by some, but as a resident of Los Angeles, I totally "got it" and still watch it from time to time for the lulz, of which there are many) and when I'd initially heard that he'd been cast in a remake of the Pink Panther, my reaction was a gentle facepalm. This all of course changed after watching Martin's piss poor Clouseau-in-name-only try to say the word "hamburger" for twenty f'ng minutes. Yes, really. A facepalm would no longer suffice. In fact, I'd rather punch myself in the scrotum repeatedly then have to sit through something that bad ever again. And THEN, when I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse, we get this who-the-hell-even-asked-for-it sequel. Further proof that Swine Hollywood sucks in the worst way possible. Sorry you had to sit through this one, Ralph. You're a better man than I.

Until we meet again, and the case is sol-ved.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a big fan of the original Peter Sellers movies and generally like Steve Martin but I was surprised the first Martin Pink Panther film was made and after watching it, I still didn't understand why it was made. I can't comment on the second film since I haven't watched it except to say, I am surprised it was ever made. It didn't do well enough to justify a third, I hope. Having read this review means I won't watch it, at least not if given a choice and fortunately the only people that decide to watch films expecting my company have no interest in this one.

As always, nice review Ralph, the misguided comments in the thread are unfortunate.

Chris
post #13 of 21 Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Got it - the numers are for technical merit the dots are for the content.

You are welcome to your own opinions.

You guys need to think about these as fun, family films - something to watch with your children. We have had so much fun with "homboogares" you would not believe it.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

You guys need to think about these as fun, family films - something to watch with your children. We have had so much fun with "homboogares" you would not believe it.

Greetings,

Big Lag, I agree that no film should be looked upon in such a personal way unless it attempts to illicit such a reaction. Hence my comments about it being a harmless and mildly entertaining comedy. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed it. Differing opinions is of course what makes the world go around.

Thanks for posting back..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 21 Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
I am glad that you and your family enjoyed it. Differing opinions is of course what makes the world go around.

Thanks for posting back..

Regards,

My pleasure, I wasn't trying to trash your review or post just to disagree with the others. I did want to post a personal opinion that looks at this from a different perspective than all those already posted before mine. I did it because of how much fun we've had with these films.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate your reviews, really. Very often I read your reviews then go over to Netflix and add to my queue. Thanks for that.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

My pleasure, I wasn't trying to trash your review or post just to disagree with the others. I did want to post a personal opinion that looks at this from a different perspective than all those already posted before mine. I did it because of how much fun we've had with these films.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate your reviews, really. Very often I read your reviews then go over to Netflix and add to my queue. Thanks for that.

Greetings,

Thanks very much..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 21 Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

You guys need to think about these as fun, family films - something to watch with your children. We have had so much fun with "homboogares" you would not believe it.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Agree...This is definitely one for the kiddo's
post #18 of 21 Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review again and again,Ralph.Very funny movie but the first part was better.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This movie has its moments.. The pq looks excellent most of the times, but there are certain scenes that simply doesn't cut it.. I don't think that is a problem with the transfer, but it is more relative to the source...
The audio is ok, but no demo material....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #20 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It is indeed sad to see what people in the entertainment field will do when they head towards the twilight of their careers.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Too bad Jason Statham had to die in the first one...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page