Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 1977
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 124 Minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Starring: Robert Shaw, Nick Nolte, Jacqueline Bisset, Louis Gossett, Eli Wallach
Directed by: Peter Yates
Music by: John Barry
Written by: Peter Benchley & Tracy Keenan Wynn based on the novel by Peter Benchley
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 7, 2009

"Is anything worth the terror of The Deep?"

Film Synopsis:

This lavish, suspense-filled film was made from Peter (Jaws) Benchley's best-selling novel. Gail Berke (Jacqueline Bisset) and David Sanders (Nick Nolte) are on a romantic holiday in Bermuda when they come upon the sunken wreck of a WWII freighter. Near it, they find an ampoule of morphine, one of tens of thousands still aboard the wrecked ship. Their discovery leads them to a Haitian drug dealer, Cloche (Louis Gossett), and an old treasure hunter, Romer Treece (Robert Shaw). With Cloche in pursuit, Gail, David and Treece try to recover the sunken treasure.

My Take:

When I was in high school The Deep was played heavily on cable TV. I haven't seen it in years but remembered thinking it was a pretty decent movie. I can also recall when Jacqueline Bisset was all the rage and she looked great in this film. The plot is straight forward and offers no unexpected twists to speak of. That isn't a bad thing though it is allows the audience to get caught up in the story's subtle intrigue and moderately suspenseful elements. It revolves around a young couple who is vacationing in Bermuda and happen upon the wreckage of the Goliath, a WWII ship, while deep sea diving. The ship has been declared off limits for salvage or treasure hunting due to the instability of its location and deadly onboard munitions. Gail finds a liquid filled ampoule near the damaged hull and when they return with it find out that it is part of the sunken ship's large cargo of morpheme that today would fetch a hefty price on the drug market. A local Haitian crime lord, Cloche, gets wind of their find and takes an interest in the couple. At the same dive site they also found what appeared to be a Spanish medallion and turn to Romer Treece, a successful local treasurer hunter, to determine its worth. Unbeknownst to them he sees the ampoule and takes more of an interest in that than the medallion. Afterward David and Gail end up having a rather nasty run in with Cloche regarding the ampoule and realize that there is more going on than meets the eye. Treece informs them of the presence of the morpheme and its worth/interest to a man like Cloche. Treece strikes a bargain with Cloche and returns to the wreck with David and Gail to gather the Morpheme. None of them were prepared for what they would discover lying beneath the Goliath's remains. This discovery would lead them on a quest for treasure, fame, and ultimately endanger their very lives.

The Deep features extensive underwater sequences filmed in various tropical locations. The cast and crew had to learn to deep sea dive and before production ended they had made well over 9,000 dives. At two hours the film runs a bit too long but there is enough depth to the story and characters to keep interest going. I felt that Nolte, Bisset, and Shaw as the three main players were excellent. Unfortunately Louis Gossett and Eli Wallach, two fine actors, didn't have enough time onscreen to be truly effective in their roles. As the film's antagonist I felt that Cloche (Gossett) lacked the character interplay necessary to truly fear or dislike him. Adam (Wallach), playing the drunken survivor of the original crew of the Goliath who becomes the treacherous go between had a bit more opportunity but still felt wasted. Regardless I think that this is a competent and engaging thriller that features good casting, strong direction and excellent cinematography. I haven't seen it in a long time and watching it again after all these years proved rewarding.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, violence, and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

The Deep comes to Blu-ray Disc from Columbia Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.4 mbps.

This high definition presentation delivered fair to good overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film's original elements. Its high definition video offered a good amount of appreciable fine detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of Bermuda and the beach/shore locations looked particularly striking with beautifully rendered colors and clear definition. This was more the exception than the rule as many of the longer range visuals didn't have that level of deep image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues were reproduced naturally. Blues were vivid, deeply saturated and eye catching while reds appeared to lean more toward orange. Blacks were merely above average which left many of the dark sequences appearing a bit flat and lackluster. On the other hand those same scenes had an improved sense of depth thanks to an appreciable level of visible detail in darkened areas and low lit backgrounds. Grain is preserved naturally and is visible throughout. Occasionally it takes on more prominence but I didn't find it to be problematic. All things considered I think that this 30 plus year old film looks very good in high definition.

The lossless soundtrack made the most of what it had to work with in the source elements present in the recording. Dialogue was crisp, well intonated and mixed to a prominent position within the front soundstage. Sound effects and panning sequences emanating from the main channels were seamlessly integrated with discernible separation and average sound field penetration. The film includes some active elements such as explosions and the underwater heaving/creaking of the shipwrecked vessel. It didn't have the feeling of authority and quantifiable dynamics that you might find with today's digital soundtracks but it exerted tangible influence with a fair level of impact and clarity. There was no subterranean bass contained in this mix however low frequency detail was present and detectable during a handful of scenes. The surround channels were used mainly for atmospheric ambience that provided a good sense of envelopment but not to the level of being engagingly immersive. I thought it sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The making of The Deep - 48 minute documentary hosted/narrated by Robert Shaw

• (HD) 6 selected scenes from the 3 hour special edition

• (HD) 6 BD Previews

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=146742&d=1246392974

Final Thoughts:

It goes without saying that author/screenwriter Peter Benchley knows how to tell a good story. The Deep(based on his novel of the same name) doesn't have the intensity and variety of plot driven twists and turns that we see from some of today's genre films but it nevertheless tells and engaging and entertaining story that is well executed by both the cast and production team. It doesn't have the high gloss imagery and room shaking sound of today's newer films being released in high definition but fans should be pleased with it presentation here as it looks and sounds very good on Blu-ray Disc. Sony/Columbia Pictures has included the original 48 minute documentary which captures the making of them film in excellent detail. There are 6 additional scenes, BD previews and BD-Live access as well. Definitely a worthy package for fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was reading IMDB about the alternate edition and deleted scenes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/alternateversions

I notice it mentions a 125 minute R rated version of the film. I assume that's not what is on this disc since you mention it running at 2 hours. Thats a shame and i wish the studio's would use seamless branching more than they currently do on the Blu Ray format and give us alternate editions.

I think softness of any long shots is probably inherent to the way it was filmed and it sounds pretty faithful to how it would look so i'm interested in buying this one as i like the stars and the film is decent.

Another nice review and i enjoy reading them.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I was reading IMDB about the alternate edition and deleted scenes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/alternateversions

I notice it mentions a 125 minute R rated version of the film. I assume that's not what is on this disc since you mention it running at 2 hours. Thats a shame and i wish the studio's would use seamless branching more than they currently do on the Blu Ray format and give us alternate editions.

I think softness of any long shots is probably inherent to the way it was filmed and it sounds pretty faithful to how it would look so i'm interested in buying this one as i like the stars and the film is decent.

Another nice review and i enjoy reading them.

Greetings,

Thanks M. Yes this is definitely not the 125 minute R rated version. I agree that a seemless branching option would have been welcomed..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 22 Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

it's great to see this out on blu-ray!
i watched the dvd about 2 months ago and really enjoyed it.

when first opened to your first page with the photo my first thought was-

THE ABYSS!

but nope. not yet.
that's one of the ones i'm really anticipating.

great reviews, mr. potts! thank you for them.

10' from 84" screen.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank for this review.This film was my favorite one,will pick soon.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

This is one of those old favorites of mine that I owned first on vhs, then on laserdisc and then on dvd. Now I guess I'll just have to get it on Blu so I can see it how it looked when I first saw it in the theater.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Never bought this one on DVD because there was talk back then of releasing the longer version, which never happened, so I'll be all over this when released.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #8 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

This is one of those old favorites of mine that I owned first on vhs, then on laserdisc and then on dvd. Now I guess I'll just have to get it on Blu so I can see it how it looked when I first saw it in the theater.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Lol same here...old VHS was awesome back then, I skipped laserdisc & have it on DVD, it's a must on blu.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't even recall the last time I saw this film. I don't own any version and probably will rent it and go from there. I don't think it will cost much down the road but we'll see. Eager to get another peek at you know who!
post #10 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Eager to get another peek at you know who!

... and her wet top...
post #11 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen this movie on the BB shelves but never seen the actually film itself. Looks interestingly enough i might give this one a try.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

I read the novel, didn't know there was a movie. Thought the novel just stunk, but the movie might be good because I thought the novel was written to be turned into a movie!
post #13 of 22 Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Jacqueline Bisset looks amazing in this movie - especially in that white dress at dinner - stunning...
post #14 of 22 Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

Jacqueline Bisset looks amazing in this movie - especially in that white dress at dinner - stunning...

I preferred the white t-shirt in the beginning part of the film. I thought the PQ was excellent. Looked just like watching it in a theater. No complaints at all.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #15 of 22 Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I preferred the white t-shirt in the beginning part of the film. I thought the PQ was excellent. Looked just like watching it in a theater. No complaints at all.

larry

I think I was about 7 when I first saw that scene and I remember it VIVIDLY. Can't wait to check it on BD. The movie and the scene.

Kagolu
post #16 of 22 Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

I agree. The wet T-shirt gets all the attention, but I just watched this last night and....WOW! the cut of that dress accentuates all the right places. Breath-taking.

As a fan of the film, I'm extremely happy with the way Sony treated this release. Both in the excellance of the A/V presentation and the additional extra features, Sony went beyond what I ever expected for this one, based on it's previously indifferent attitude towards it on previous formats.
However my one small disappointment is that the one scene that I vividly remember from the original 3 hour broadcast wasn't put on the disc, and that was an extension of the aforementioned dinner scene and more of Bisset in that dress. The scene starts as they order dinner (and paints a little more explicitly the contrast between Noltes character's beer and pretzel sensibilities and Bisset's more worldly sophistication)

Other than that, it's one of my favorite releases so far this year.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37789/deep-the/
3 hours cut you say????

now there's one scene i wonder if it's the blu ray (it's not on the dvds):
when Treece finds Kevin and covers him with his jacket. he then holds him, a few seconds, being so sad of his death
is it in the blu ray ?
i rememeber that scene from a TV airing of the movie years ago.

maybe it was cut because it looked a bit homo ? (stupid).

read the review at dvdtalk also he really nailed: no CGI, real stuff !
the cast is perfect is everyone's role. tip top
muscle fans have recogniged Tessier and the great Earl Maynard.

Bisset is indeed stunning, at her beauty best ever.http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...ow=screenshots
post #18 of 22 Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

On its way from Netflix, Blockbuster stores in my area never got it. I'll get to check her and the movie out tonight. Forget Home Run Derby!
post #19 of 22 Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM

I will be renting to refresh my memory, yes the t shirt. But I also remember the story could be alittle boring or slow?
post #20 of 22 Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM

I saw this in the theater when it first came out. I have the DVD release which is nothing great so an upgrade to Blu was a definite for me.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

I've seen this movie on the BB shelves but never seen the actually film itself. Looks interestingly enough i might give this one a try.

If you like adventure movies, with a touch or romance, solid acting and pure escapism then this is the movie for you.
I love this movie to death.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom5 View Post

I will be renting to refresh my memory, yes the t shirt. But I also remember the story could be alittle boring or slow?

Depends on whether you like full on action movies or not. It's a great film!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Deep Blu Ray Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page