Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13/Unrated
Feature running time: 108/110 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Portuguese/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese
Starring: John Cena, Aidan Gillen, Ashley Scott, Steve Harris, Brian White
Directed by: Renny Harlin
Music by: Trevor Rabin
Written by: Daniel Kunka
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 30, 2009

"Fast paced, explosive action, as the clock never stops"

Film Synopsis:

When New Orleans Police Detective Danny Fisher (John Cena) stops a brilliant thief from getting away with a multi-million dollar heist, the thief’s girlfriend is accidentally killed. After escaping from prison, the criminal mastermind enacts his revenge, taunting the cop with a series of near-impossible puzzles and tasks… 12 Rounds… that Fisher must somehow complete to save the life of his fiance.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=146971&d=1246634683

12 Rounds begins with an FBI operation to catch an internationally-known terrorist, named Miles Jackson (Aidan Gillen). Jackson has proved an elusive target with a penchant for betrayal and ruthlessness. New Orleans Police Officer Danny Fisher (John Cena) and his partner Hank Carver (Brian White) receive a description of Jackson that includes a photo of him with a female associate. The FBI requests assistance after losing site of Jackson and the two officers respond to assist. On the way Danny notices a vehicle being driven by a woman who resembles Jackson’s associate. They stop and the vehicle and become involved in a firefight with Jackson that ends with Hank being wounded. The vehicle speeds off with Danny chasing on foot through alleyways and backyards. Danny manages to intercept them by cutting off their vehicle (using a boat trailer) causing it to over turn. Jackson tells his girlfriend Erica to run but she is accidentally killed when she is struck down by a car. Jackson demands Danny’s name and before he is taken into custody he promises him that he will see him again. Fast forward a year later, Danny is now a Detective (as a result of his capture of Jackson), Jackson has escaped prison, and contacts Danny reminding him of the upcoming anniversary of their encounter and his promise. He kidnaps Danny’s girlfriend Molly (Ashley Scott) and forces him into a series of dangerous scenarios, that hecalls “12 Rounds”, which are carefully plotted throughout the streets of New Orleans. Danny operates on the edge against seemingly winless odds as he struggles to complete each of the "rounds" with Molly life hanging in the balance.

If you’re reading this the chances are good that at least at some point in your life you have sat down and watched a good mindless action film. They do require the suspension of belief in order to follow their generally contrived storylines which include convenient coincidence, often impenetrable characters, and in most cases derived plots that we have all seen before. Nevertheless we enjoy them because of their ability to entertain us with their high octane thrills, butt kickin’ action, and adrenaline filled special effects that usually see the good guy come out on top. Both the theatrical version and an unrated Extreme cut are offered from Fox on this dual layered Blu-ray disc. I watched the unrated version which adds an additional two minutes to the film’s run time. 12 Rounds is a typical run of the mill action film that is directed by Renny Harlin who is no stranger to the genre. Does it bring anything new to the table? No. Does it feature all of the aforementioned ingredients? Yes. The result is a fun, action filled ride that doesn’t try to be more than what it is. Think of it as Speed meets Die hard with a vengeance. It comes complete with the requisite ending which is both formulaic and predictable. That’s a given going in. This is John Cena’s second film (his first was The Marine) and I don’t have a problem accepting him in this light. The film’s energetic pace didn’t require him to have to place too much emphasis on his ability to act and I thought he handled things just fine. I liked the characters on both sides of the story’s equation and the film flowed well enough. There is no question that the suspension of belief is required to get the most out of 12 Rounds. There is plenty of action that comes in the form of speeding cars, fire trucks, gun play, out of control trolleys, helicopters, and stuff blowing up. The plot is straight to the point with a notably derived spin that has been used ad nauseam. This of course leaves a, been there done that taste, that doesn’t make 12 Rounds particularly memorable. However that didn’t stop it from being an entertaining experience while watching it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=146970&d=1246634683

12 Rounds comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

12 Rounds looks excellent on Blu-ray Disc and features high gloss high definition video quality that is reminiscent of most of the newer release films coming to the format. It reminded me very much of my recent review of Street Fighter: The legend of Chun-Li as it exhibited high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brought out the realistic textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective had a near infinite appeal that was visually arresting at times. Close ups were incredibly detailed and revealing of even the subtlest nuance visible within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid level camera pans of the New Orleans locations were equally enriching and exhibited excellent depth and dimension. Colors were appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stood out among the remaining spectrum colors used. Fleshtones were beautifully textured with subtle description and lifelike complexional depiction. Contrast was bold without overstatement as it empowered colors and energized whites with washing away detail. Blacks were rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which made them pop nicely during sequences that contained both light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments (such as the elevator shaft sequence) revealed discerning shapes and structure in backgrounds and objects.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is demonstration quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail that is truly impressive. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Front channel separation and imaging was excellent. This drew out both large and small sound elements and allowed their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often use of the surround channels to extend the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this sometimes aggressive soundtrack. This is a dynamically strong sound mix that utilizes low frequency effects to provide viscerally potent impact. Bass can be prodigious as it reaches sound pressure levels that are not only loud but in a few instances drop down into subterranean depths that approach infrasonic levels. This is a reference quality home theater presentation that makes for great audio/video demonstration material.

** It should be noted that this disc would not play in my Oppo Blu-ray Disc player. This appears to be an interaction problem between the player and this disc. It loaded and played fine in my PS3 and Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray players.**

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical cut and Unrated ‘Extreme’ version of the film

• Audio commentary with Director Renny Harlin

• Audio commentary with John Cena and Writer Daniel Kunka

• (HD) Streetcar crossing: Film with caution – 16 minute featurette

• (HD) A crash course: John Cena stunts – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Never-before-Cena gag reel – 5 minutes

• (HD) Keeping score: The music of 12 rounds – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Round and Round with Renny and John – 4 minute discussion feature

• (HD) Bonus Rounds – 12 short production segments – 20 minutes

• (HD) Two alternate endings with optional commentary

• (HD) Viral videos: “Hands” and “Helicopter”

• Disc 2 Digital Copy Bonus Disc – Standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded to a portable media player from a compatible PC
attachment.php?attachmentid=146969&d=1246634585

Final Thoughts:

12 Rounds is a formulaic action film that doesn’t offer viewers anything fresh from a conceptual point of view. It holds firmly to its genre and delivers plenty of fast paced action that is built around a derived plotline that remains fun just the same. I have been impressed with the quality of the new release films coming to Blu-ray from Fox and this is no exception. This presentation features high quality audio/video that is demonstration worthy as well as including a decent set of bonus supplements that include multiple Blu-ray disc exclusives. This may not be great cinema but it‘s fun, mindless action that comes in a technically strong package that makes it all the more entertaining. Give it a rent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched this movie tues., i must admit that i'm a sucker for silly action flicks. The audio/video was outstanding imo, i did enjoy the marine a wee bit more than this one.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Shouldn't the video rating be in orange (or is it gold?) to denote reference-quality? [/nitpick]

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #4 of 25 Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post

Shouldn't the video rating be in orange (or is it gold?) to denote reference-quality? [/nitpick]

Greetings,

You are correct. Fixed it, thanks..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 25 Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Ralph, I'm starting to trust your reviews more than just about anyone elses. I really appreciate you how can allow a movie to be what it's trying to be and base your opinion on it accordingly. I can't stand some of these stuck up, snooty critic-type folks who have forgotten that movies can sometimes just be mindless fun.

Keep up the good work....we all appreciate it! In the meantime, I'm gonna add this one to my queue
post #6 of 25 Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Ralph, I'm starting to trust your reviews more than just about anyone elses. I really appreciate you how can allow a movie to be what it's trying to be and base your opinion on it accordingly. I can't stand some of these stuck up, snooty critic-type folks who have forgotten that movies can sometimes just be mindless fun.

Keep up the good work....we all appreciate it! In the meantime, I'm gonna add this one to my queue

Greetings,

Thank you Summa, I really appreciate your comments. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 25 Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viziodood View Post

I watched this movie tues.[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG], i must admit that i'm a sucker for silly action flicks. The audio/video was outstanding imo, i did enjoy the marine a wee bit more than this one.

Seems like the type of film I will like, going to rent it before I buy, The marine was awesome so i'm sure i'll be satisfied
post #8 of 25 Old 07-04-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Another release that TCFHE has encoded to not play on many blu-ray players. Guess I won't be watching it for awhile...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 PM

just be careful lately fox movie seem to act weird with some players. Some people weren't able to play this movie and the new street figther movie in there standalone player including the oppo 83
post #10 of 25 Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suave2978 View Post

just be careful lately fox movie seem to act weird with some players. Some people weren't able to play this movie and the new street figther movie in there standalone player including the oppo 83

Suave, Fox (TCFHE) is convinced we consumers are a bunch of thieves, and they have changed their blu-ray disc encoding (again). Whether that move will actually protect their products from misuse, it certainly has the effect you mentioned: many legitimate purchasers cannot play Fox blu-rays. I spoke with TCFHE "customer support" about this; they were aggressively hostile in their response: it is either player manufacturer's fault, or consumers' fault, in TCFHE's view.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #11 of 25 Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

I like a mindless action flick now and then, and even have quite a few in my collection. But I won't be addibng this one as it is a Fox title and they are way overpriced. But I will definitely rent it some night when the proper mood strikes me.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

92? Wow!!

I was somewhat hesitant to get this because i didn't know how the vid quality will come out but based on Ralphs review i'm definitely getting this. There's not too many action flicks (non animated) that are rated in the 90's but glad this one made it.

Cheers
post #13 of 25 Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This film sounded like Die Hard meet Speed,good but not great action film from Renny Harlin.The quality of this BD was great for both sound and picture,that's all to mention about this disc.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Great review.

I've never even heard of this flick, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out now.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post

Great review.

I've never even heard of this flick, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out now. [IMG]http://www.***************/img/io/iy.gif[/IMG]

I haven't heard of the flick either but based on the review, it sure sounds a good flick to pick up. Thanks for the review.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching it. Even having somewhat hopeful expectations after reading Ralph's excellent review, the movie still held up well. I definitely agree about the audio and video...from the opening credits, you can tell that this soundtrack isn't playing around. I thought the pacing of the film was good, the acting was better than average (Cena really isn't half bad...I'm impressed), and it did the job it was supposed to do - entertain me.

Not bad!
post #17 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I picked this up as a rental and viewed it last night. I have to say, I was thoroughly entertained.

Some have had playback problems with this disc, and I will report that the Magnavox player handled it fine. It has the new firmware installed, if that makes any difference.

One thing I did find objectionable with this disc is that you have to watch the promos before getting to the movie. Few discs allow you to bypass this stuff by hitting the menu button. Most will at least allow you to fast forward through them. This one "force feeds" you. As a rental, this is not too big of an issue, but if I had bought this and had to sit through it every time I wanted to view the title, it would be enough of a reason not to buy.

From a reviewer's perspective, Ralph does an excellent job of recapping the films. I'd suggest he may want to broaden his reviews to inlcude playability issues, such as forcing promos down the consumer's throat. The forum is about Blu-Ray Disc Reviews, and this is certainly an element of the disc.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Watched this one a few weeks back and agree with Ralphs audio review.....this is a fantastic soundtrack and I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #19 of 25 Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched this one a few weeks back and agree with Ralphs audio review.....this is a fantastic soundtrack and I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would

Ive preordered this film also. Saw the trailer doesn't look bad.

Frank

post #20 of 25 Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by standaman View Post

great review.

+1

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #21 of 25 Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I picked this up as a rental and viewed it last night. I have to say, I was thoroughly entertained.

Some have had playback problems with this disc, and I will report that the Magnavox player handled it fine. It has the new firmware installed, if that makes any difference.

One thing I did find objectionable with this disc is that you have to watch the promos before getting to the movie. Few discs allow you to bypass this stuff by hitting the menu button. Most will at least allow you to fast forward through them. This one "force feeds" you. As a rental, this is not too big of an issue, but if I had bought this and had to sit through it every time I wanted to view the title, it would be enough of a reason not to buy.

From a reviewer's perspective, Ralph does an excellent job of recapping the films. I'd suggest he may want to broaden his reviews to inlcude playability issues, such as forcing promos down the consumer's throat. The forum is about Blu-Ray Disc Reviews, and this is certainly an element of the disc.

Greetings,

While I agree regarding the annoyance of having to deal with skipping through unwanted trailers/promos it has become a fairly common practice among the studios. With the amount of time that I try and put into the content of my reviews it wouldn't be practical to comment regarding the presence of them. If I experience playability issues I do mention that at the end of the audio/video quality narrative and usually mark it with an asterisk.

Thanks for your input..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #22 of 25 Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked this one up as a rentral last night and I really enjoyed the movie. Jon Cena really starting to impress me with his acting. The only thing about this movie is I don't think the surrounds where used as much as they could of been. There where a couple of scenes where they were ulitlized real good but most of the time they sat there dead. BTW the last explosion in the movie bottom out my sub. I thought it blew. The best part about this movie is the wife was watching it with me(reading here girl y mags) I she would keep peeking up every couple of minutes and every time she would watch it a little bit more. Eventually she put it down and watched the last half with me and at the end of the movie she said that was a good show

Ralph I really starting to enjoy your reviews. There is not one reviewer out there I can trust except avs as a whole. To me it feels like you go into the movie just wanting to have a good time and post your true thoughts.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #23 of 25 Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Ralph I really starting to enjoy your reviews. There is not one reviewer out there I can trust except avs as a whole. To me it feels like you go into the movie just wanting to have a good time and post your true thoughts.

I'll echo what the cable man said

I think what makes me have so much faith in what Ralph writes is the fact that he's flexible. I said this in another thread, but Ralph let's the movie be what it's trying to be and evaluates it accordingly. There are reviewers out there who have it in their heads that movies should be this way or that way, and if it's not, then it's crap. That's not how I roll, and it's not how Ralph rolls either. Most of us love this hobby because we love the art of film and we love to be entertained. If it's a stunning transfer with a kick-ass high rez soundtrack, then all the better. But if I 'm going to spend two hours of my life with a film, I would like it to be with a film that will entertain me, and Ralph's reviews are a great tool in finding out which films those will be and which won't.

You da man, Ralph!!
post #24 of 25 Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I'll echo what the cable man said

I think what makes me have so much faith in what Ralph writes is the fact that he's flexible. I said this in another thread, but Ralph let's the movie be what it's trying to be and evaluates it accordingly. There are reviewers out there who have it in their heads that movies should be this way or that way, and if it's not, then it's crap. That's not how I roll, and it's not how Ralph rolls either. Most of us love this hobby because we love the art of film and we love to be entertained. If it's a stunning transfer with a kick-ass high rez soundtrack, then all the better. But if I 'm going to spend two hours of my life with a film, I would like it to be with a film that will entertain me, and Ralph's reviews are a great tool in finding out which films those will be and which won't.

You da man, Ralph!!

Greetings,

Thank you both. I sincerely appreciate your comments...

Best regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 25 Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I enjoyed the film the Aq was good. Ralph did you some found some scenes especially the night shots were the blacks were not that deep and inky compared to some others where the Black was deep and inky ( beautiful)? (I got the deep and inky term from HD Digest review because it is the best way to explain it.) Just certain scenes?

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , 12 Rounds Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - 12 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page