Watchmen (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 198 Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My short review: this movie was entirely too schlong.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 198 Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad t View Post

my short review: This movie was entirely too schlong.

lol
post #153 of 198 Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

My short review: this movie was entirely too schlong.

You'd see more wang in Boogie nights, and that wasn't even CGI!

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
post #154 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Haven't watched it yet and after hearing about this blue schlong...I might give it a pass entirely. What's up with the male full-frontal nudity all of a sudden? I watched 'forgetting sarah marshall' and there was so much of it that it detracted from my enjoyment of the movie.
post #155 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

Haven't watched it yet and after hearing about this blue schlong...I might give it a pass entirely. What's up with the male full-frontal nudity all of a sudden? I watched 'forgetting sarah marshall' and there was so much of it that it detracted from my enjoyment of the movie.

I think that people are making too much of a fuss about the blue schlong. If you like super hero movies and want to see something different, this is the movie for you.

It is 3 hours long, but that why you have a pause button on the remote.
post #156 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Just turn your head or don't concentrate on that area of the screen if it really bothers you that much. It's not as if it's an erect penis. I see way more bare breasts in movies than I do penises, I think I'll live.
post #157 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post

I see way more bare breasts in movies than I do penises

That's exactly how God intended it!
post #158 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Will be watching this one tonight, 2nd time.

Frank

post #159 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I saw Watchmen in the theater last March when it first came out. After seeing it I couldn't decide if I liked it or not which is strange for me since I can usually rate a movie right away. I just watched my BD rental of the movie and still can't decide it's worthy enough to purchase. I agree with Ralph's PQ/AQ assessment, it scores high points on both counts but that's still not enough justification to buy it. The Director's Cut did fill in the story with a little more detail but in the end I guess I didn't like the plot or characters enough to care. I enjoyed Zack Snyder's work on 300 but this one just felt flat and overly long to me.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #160 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Will be watching this one tonight, 2nd time.

I will be looking forward to reading your impressions. I saw it in the theater and liked it well enough, especially the ending. But when I saw the Director's Cut on BD I loved it. The combination of having already seen the film once in the theater and the extra information provided in the much longer Director's Cut BD made a huge difference. For the first time, I started to understand the character traits of its many characters. It's hardly a feel good film and its characters are anything but heroic but it ended up being richly rewarding for me.
post #161 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I will be looking forward to reading your impressions. I saw it in the theater and liked it well enough, especially the ending. But when I saw the Director's Cut on BD I loved it. The combination of having already seen the film once in the theater and the extra information provided in the much longer Director's Cut BD made a huge difference. For the first time, I started to understand the character traits of its many characters. It's hardly a feel good film and its characters are anything but heroic but it ended up being richly rewarding for me.

Unfortunately the release of Watchmen (Paramount) here in New Zealand has been delayed numerous times and, like the UK, we're not getting the director's cut (yet) so I decided to order from the US instead. Funnily enough in doing so I've saved myself about NZ$15 on the price of the 2-disc theatrical that won't hit the shelves here until 30 Sept! A pity that the digital copy won't work for me but those are the breaks.

I'm not too fussed about the Paramount vs Warner PQ differences as highlighted in other threads as I don't think it would matter on my 42" 720p display. Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my director's cut and I'm sure that I'll enjoy it immensely. No other movie has quite captured my attention in the last few years.

Nice review btw Mr Potts.
post #162 of 198 Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Watched it the second time and found it much easier to follow. I have to admit the conversation between Dr Manhattan and The Silk Spectre II on mars the way he was explaining things it was beginning to put me to sleep, I guess the length of the film tends to to do that. But the ending what Adrian Veidt ( Ozymandias) did I can understand why? but then again it was wrong too. Personally when watching at first I thought the comedian was/looked cool but then seeing what he did reminded me of a corrupt cop who thought there was no limits on what he could do.

Anyway Aq and pQ spot on and the movie, im glad I bought it on a blind buy originally(never read the comic in my life) but thorougly enjoyed it.

Frank

post #163 of 198 Old 08-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Just watched this last night and really liked it. Obviously dark, but intelligently written and with an ending that had a surprising and hopeful twist. Lots of little sub-plots and interesting stuff going on. PQ and AQ were great, and in fact I think it is one of the most "spot on" and best balanced audio tracks I have heard in a modern action movie. At refererence level the dialogue was very clear, and the effects were just loud enough to have the proper impact without being overly loud. No film or audio glitches experienced on my PS3. I would buy this one.
post #164 of 198 Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger999 View Post

Read the original graphic novel: I think it does a better sense of showing Dr. Manhattan's growing alienation from human customs & society, to the point where wearing clothes seems irrelevant to him. You can see that his costume gets smaller with time, and by the time vigilantes are outlawed in that time line, he isn't generally seen with any clothing at all. His perspective and awareness encompass so much beyond ordinary human experience that worrying about clothing is about as likely as my worrying about whether I am emitting alarm pheromones when I tower over an anthill and examine its occupants--i.e. not at all.

That I have to tell you this suggests that the movie failed the principle of "show, don't tell" because his psychological arc is painted in very broad strokes when you watch the movie, and it's difficult to pick up these subtle details, as opposed to printed medium, with the slower contemplative pace of reading a book.

On the other hand, if you prefer a less literary answer, then I leave you with the "deep" thoughts of a poster in another thread:

LOL! I hope you realize all the innuendos that were in the quote you referenced!

Just in case you still don't see it, I'll lend a helping hand:

Quote:

I have no idea what the problem is. It was part of the story, which showed Dr. M's reluctence to hang out with humans and their clothes. Almost as if he was pulling out of the human race completely. The dong scenes really did penetrate deeply into some audience members minds, but in the end, I think many of them drove those images out of their heads. Personally, I thought the story kept swinging at a good pace, with the dong being nothing more than rock solid CGI.

post #165 of 198 Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM

When this movie first hit theaters I was all over it. Saw it 4 or 5 times (I know, crazy!) Then I recently bought the bluray and haven't even opened the packaging. But I'm looking forward now to watching the maximum movie mode, which, in addition to the review here, I've heard nothing but good things about. Is it interesting enough to keep me engaged even if I've seen the actual movie so many times already?
post #166 of 198 Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
After a long wait, I have been able to watch this movie...
It seem to me like it was cursed or something... I miss it in the theaters for very odd reasons, and then when it came on BD I order it with Deep DVD discount, and the movie got lost in the mail, then I order it from ebay and turn out to be a fraud, and then finally got it from ebay, and then my amp was sent to the service center.... But finally I was able to watch it this weekend... This movie might not be for everyones taste, but I like its genre... The movie's visuals and sound are outstanding... I had to watch it before sending now my preamp for service.. Boy what luck, but in any case it was nice to be able to watch such a great treat of a movie..

Nice review Ralph!

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #167 of 198 Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I guess it's true what they say, "When it rains, it pours." Hope after your preamp, things get better for ya, Christian!
post #168 of 198 Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone notice any lip sync problems? This is the Director's Cut "over 24 minutes longer". It seemed at least 100 mS out of sync. DTS-HD Master Audio, but down-mixed to 5.1 analog outputs of my Oppo BDP-83 player.

The "Maximum Movie Mode" feature with the director had no problems.

For those old enough to remember a rather famous movie from the mid 1960's, the parody was superb. Lots of others, but I don't want to give any spoilers.
post #169 of 198 Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

I just watched an amazing film! I rented this from BB and was prepared to sit through another super hero, super CGI, super middle of the road movie but I sat fixed to my chair, maybe not breathing during that very well done opening that shows a glimpse of what the Watchmen were. Not only were the visuals beautiful but the music seemed perfect, just perfect.

After Bob was done singing I put the movie in pause, caught my breath and said out loud "this will be something special" and, of course it was.

I watch a ton of movies, too many in fact because I think I have become to casual about it. I seem to watch with just a part of my mind and if something interesting happens I then focus a bit more but all in all I just seem to drift through them and forget them soon after. It has been a very long time since a movie has really captured all my attention and, as they say, "glued me to my chair". This movie did just that, making my normal trip for a soft drink at half time much more difficult to attempt.

Watch this movie, even if you, like me, never heard of the Watchmen. It is complex but seemed easy to follow and is an amazing story with a ending that did take me surprise but seemed perfect to the overall theme. It is a super hero movie like no other that shows them more human than hero.
post #170 of 198 Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

I just watched an amazing film! I rented this from BB and was prepared to sit through another super hero, super CGI, super middle of the road movie but I sat fixed to my chair, maybe not breathing during that very well done opening that shows a glimpse of what the Watchmen were. Not only were the visuals beautiful but the music seemed perfect, just perfect.

After Bob was done singing I put the movie in pause, caught my breath and said out loud "this will be something special" and, of course it was.

I watch a ton of movies, too many in fact because I think I have become to casual about it. I seem to watch with just a part of my mind and if something interesting happens I then focus a bit more but all in all I just seem to drift through them and forget them soon after. It has been a very long time since a movie has really captured all my attention and, as they say, "glued me to my chair". This movie did just that, making my normal trip for a soft drink at half time much more difficult to attempt.

Watch this movie, even if you, like me, never heard of the Watchmen. It is complex but seemed easy to follow and is an amazing story with a ending that did take me surprise but seemed perfect to the overall theme. It is a super hero movie like no other that shows them more human than hero.

Awesome post, man! Hope to see more of your takes in the future
post #171 of 198 Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

Greetings,

Thanks much for sharing your impressions...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #172 of 198 Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

I couldn't figure out what to make of this on BD.

My wife left the room and I fell asleep....sorry....
post #173 of 198 Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Amazing film. Incredible colours. I think it is one of the best i have seen this year.
post #174 of 198 Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Anyone notice any lip sync problems? This is the Director's Cut "over 24 minutes longer". It seemed at least 100 mS out of sync. DTS-HD Master Audio, but down-mixed to 5.1 analog outputs of my Oppo BDP-83 player.

The "Maximum Movie Mode" feature with the director had no problems.

For those old enough to remember a rather famous movie from the mid 1960's, the parody was superb. Lots of others, but I don't want to give any spoilers.

I downmix to 2ch stereo, there is no sync problems with my BD-83.

What 60s movie are you talking about.

ss
post #175 of 198 Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 248
The Watchman is a movie that you should view more than once. The underlining story's that are going on is wonderful, along with the main story. The sound track is very good and may help you understand what this film is trying to do and say.

One warning. Keep the kids out, the giggling and wang jokes really distracts from what this film is all about.

ss
post #176 of 198 Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Special features include:

Disc 1
Two audio commentaries, with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons (1)
Disc 2
The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics (2)
Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes (2)
Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World (2)
Watchmen: Video Journals (3)
My Chemical Romance, "Desolation Row" music video (2)
Under the Hood (4)
Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen (4)
Disc 3
Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version (2)
Disc 4
Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (5)
BD-Live (2)
(1) New content
(2) Previously available within the Director's Cut US Blu-ray
(3) Previously available within the Theatrical Cut European Blu-ray
(4) Previously available within the 'Tales of the Black Freighter' Blu-ray
(5) Released separately
post #177 of 198 Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So do you have a problem with full-frontal nudity of women. I bet you hit the pause button when that happens ,i know i do.
post #178 of 198 Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I remember that movie. It totally ruined it for me. Funny but unnecessary.
post #179 of 198 Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM

So, is the Ultimate Cut just the Director's cut with the Black Freighter spliced into the movie? If so, is there an option to watch just the Director's Cut without the Black Freighter?

I'd kinda like to see it all as one movie true to the comic book form. But, I think that the breaks might detract from the experience and would like the option of watching just the director's cut without having to buy a different copy of the movie.

Cheers!
post #180 of 198 Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM

Liked: 14
Ambivalent about this movie, starting with the opening character "The comedian". Can you have much sympathy for a guy:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
who's a war criminal, attempted rapist and kills an impregnated woman?
Deserved what came to him in my opinion.
Too much unneccessary frontal nudity does illuminating it in blue make it less tasteless?
Dialog was interesting, quite good for hollywood standards these days. Special effects, PQ, AQ were good, although costumes were awful, probably because they wanted to stay true to the source material.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Watchmen Directors Cut Bd Live Blu Ray 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page