Studio and Year: Warner - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 186 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Patrick Wilson, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Directed by: Zack Snyder
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: David Hayter & Alex Tse based on the graphic novel co-created by Dave Gibbons
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 21, 2009

"Who will save us now?"

Film Synopsis:

Someone’s killing our super heroes. The year is 1985 and super heroes have banded together to respond to the murder of one of their own. They soon uncover a sinister plot that puts all of humanity in grave danger. The super heroes fight to stop the impending doom only to find themselves a target for annihilation. But, if our super heroes are gone, who will save us?

My Take:

Back in March I reviewed Watchmen – The complete motion comic. My comments regarding the motion comic which is based on the graphic novel are similar when discussing the aspects of Watchmen the film. Here are my comments from that review:

"Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. Set in 1985 at the height of the cold war between the United States and the Soviet Union, costumed avengers have been banned with the exception of two, the Comedian and Rorschach. During this time the mysterious murder of a U.S. government official named Edward Blake occurs in New York City, possibly by Soviet Communists. It is later confirmed that Blake is actually a costumed avenger – The Comedian. The news of the murder is discovered by his fellow costumed avenger, Rorschach, who sets out to discover the murderer. As Rorschach’s investigation unfolds it is initially unclear whether he is maniacal or has truly uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and perhaps millions of innocent civilians. He reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save their lives and the world. What they reveal in the process will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet. This is a wonderfully developed and complex story that impressed me. Its layers are evenly peeled back to reveal an intriguing plot that I found hard to stop watching.”

Watching this film I had very much the same experience. I love the characters (Rorschach is my favorite) and even though the film can be cryptic in its narrative, it is still quite engaging. Being familiar with what is occurring would be helpful but I don’t see it as a prerequisite. I watched it with my teenage kids, neither of whom was familiar with it, and they both loved it. Director Zack Snyder did a great job in creating the look and feel of the graphic novel. This 186 minute director’s cut adds 24 minutes to the theatrical version’s runtime. I didn’t catch this while in theaters so I can’t comment on the theatrical components. I found that this three plus hour offering felt as though it captured the integral essence of story and characters which was enough to lend stability to its retelling. While the film doesn’t stay exactly faithful to the graphic novel I feel that any sticking points that were left out weren’t detrimental. I thought that the cast did a credible job in their respective roles. Pretty much any film that stars Carla Gugino is worth seeing and I have noticed that she has been quite busy of late. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley (The Comedian and Rorschach) both gave strong performances and stood out well from the pack. This is a film that I look forward to revisiting again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong graphic violence, sexuality, nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Watchmen comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

First and foremost this is a dark film (as it should be) and its ability to clearly render its elements under those conditions is essential to getting the most out of it. Well you can rest assured that this Blu-ray disc delivers some of the richest, deepest and velvety textured blacks that I have seen. The nighttime cityscapes look breathtaking. Images are gradationally adept and three dimensionally depicted so that the long drawn skylines, unevenly lit interiors, and shadow laden environs have a seemingly infinite level of depth. Shadow detail is consistent and is probably as good as I have seen. Images are crisp with subtle refinement, resolute sharpness and exquisite three dimensional definition that can be visually arresting. Contrast is strong and dynamic which energizes colors, empowers whites/grays and engages blacks. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stood out among those within the varied range used. Fleshtones are beautifully textured with subtle description and lifelike complexional depiction. The video has a pleasing, grain splashed texture, that coincides nicely with it gritty storyline. Other than some very minor banding I found little to complain with respect to fidelity. This plays hand in hand with the film’s stark visual style and provides an incredibly entertaining experience that looks superb regardless of the size of your display.

This represents Warner’s first foray into the world of lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound and the results are spectacular. This soundtrack is demonstration quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail that is truly impressive. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Front channel separation and imaging was excellent. This drew out both large and small sound elements and allowed their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. The low frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of this soundtrack and it does so quite effectively. This mix delivers bass that is truly prodigious as it extends down into the upper 20 to lower 30hz regions at times. Its palpable presence is never in question as it fills the room with refined bass quality that is appreciably superior and on occasion skin tingling. This is a sophisticated sound design that is loaded with various sound effects, spatial cues, music, and dialogue. Each was clearly represented with enriching clarity, detail and appropriate sound field placement.

This is a reference quality audio/video presentation that truly enhanced the enjoyment of this film. Those who like playing their systems at reference levels will want to exercise caution as there are transient peaks and extended dynamic range in this recording capable of testing the limits of lesser systems. Enjoy!

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Maximum Movie Mode - An uncompromising 360 degree look at the film and its production as described by Director Zack Snyder as the film plays out. It includes trivia, facts, inside/behind the scenes information and is far from your everyday run of the mill BonusView track. It is broken down into 11 segments that can also be viewed independently. Outstanding.

• Warner Bros. BD-Live access

• Disc 2:

• (HD)Behind the story: The comic that changed comics - 28 minute featurette

• (HD) Real superheroes: Real vigilantes - 26 minute featurette

• (HD) Mechanics: Technologies of a fantastic world - 16 minute documentary

• (HD) “Desolation row“ - Music video by My chemical romance

• Disc 3:

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable media playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=147984&d=1247864230

Final Thoughts:

Watchmen represents this superb graphic novel’s film debut. The result is a strong adaptation that does a good job at capturing the essence of the story and its complex characters. Warner has gone the extra mile with its release in high definition on Blu-ray Disc. It delivers reference quality video and superlative DTS-HD Master Audio that is capable of testing the limits of your surround sound system. The bonus features include the excellent Maximum Movie Mode which is one of the best Bonusview implementations that I have seen. BD-Live access and a digital copy bonus disc round out this wonderful package that deserves a place in your collection. Highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am glad Warner chose to go with DTS-HD MA on this one. I hope they choose to do this more in the future with their big titles they release.
post #3 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Excellent review as always, Ralph!

Very much looking forward to picking this one up!
post #4 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Yeah, baby! Can't wait.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is the trailer for this film available on any other BDs or DVDs?
post #6 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Yeah, baby! Can't wait.

haha. Me too.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #7 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am glad Warner chose to go with DTS-HD MA on this one. I hope they choose to do this more in the future with their big titles they release.

I noticed this, too when I first saw a review of the Blu-ray on another site. At first, I thought it might be a misprint. I'm curious as to why Warner decided to use DTS-HD MA on this one versus Dolby TrueHD. I thought they might provide the TrueHD in 24 bit or at a higher average bitrate than usual, but didn't expect them to jump to another codec all together. Very interesting.

Ralph - great review; thanks as always! Do you happen to know if the DTS-HD MA track is 16 or 24 bit?

-C.
post #8 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
This will be a blind buy.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #9 of 198 Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Looking forward to this release.

Frank

post #10 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Looking forward to this release.

Great review again,Ralph.This film was very intense for violent as always for this director and the picture with sound(the first Warner's DTS-HD MA?)was superb quality as you told.This BD can't be wrong,mate.
post #11 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks Ralph, great review as always! I saw this movie in the theater and loved it. I am curious to see how the extra 24 minutes effects the presentation.
post #12 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great review Ralph! Can't wait to watch it... I miss it in the theaters..

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #13 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wish you had seen the theatrical version. I'd like to know which you prefer
post #14 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

Great review again,Ralph.This film was very intense for violent as always for this director and the picture with sound(the first Warner's DTS-HD MA?)was superb quality as you told.This BD can't be wrong,mate.

From what everyone is saying im looking forward to it.

Frank

post #15 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Awesome review!

Can anyone tell me what the extra 24 minutes contains?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #16 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I preordered this from Amazon, I hope I receive it this week, I can't wait!
post #17 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
hmmm... this may have to be a blind buy for me. I'm not familiar with the comics and did not really grasp what the premise was when I saw the trailers but it sounds like a winner.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #18 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those of you excited to pick this up, especially for the extra 24 minutes, should be aware that there is also an Ultimate version, even longer, that's sure to make you have to double dip sometime in the future.
post #19 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Those of you excited to pick this up, especially for the extra 24 minutes, should be aware that there is also an Ultimate version, even longer, that's sure to make you have to double dip sometime in the future.

Not only that, but its hitting this year (Nov or Dec cant remember).....I am going to rent this one.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Yeah but the only reason it is longer is because the will be including the animated Black Freighter. I really don't care about that and I honestly feel like it would feel more like an interruption. I guess you could pick up up for the Snyder commentary but I don't think I care about that either. THe older I get and the more discs I buy I find I care less and less about special features. At this point all I care about is perfect picture and sound. I won't go through what I did with DVDs unless there is some major quality jump.
post #21 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

just got mine Will play it tonight
post #22 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 04:51 PM

The version for sale on Amazon says "Amazon Digital Bundle"...Is this any different than the Best Buy version?
post #23 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 04:56 PM

i got an early rental copy and im wondering if this disc is defective.
the pq is absolutely amazing but the audio is all over the place, vocals are low effects are way too high, i had to keep the volume remote in my hand the whole time
granted im using dts re-encode and coax
i have many discs with dts-hd master source and ive never came across anything this bad, look forward to more feedback here to see if anyone else has this problem,this may stop me from buying it all together
post #24 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Fantastic review. I saw this movie when it came out and loved it, now you made me regret not pre ording. I am even tempted to run up to BB to get it tonight.... not.

It sounds like you are throwing down a challenge to everyones sound system. Test at your risk.
post #25 of 198 Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmistero View Post

Fantastic review. I saw this movie when it came out and loved it, now you made me regret not pre ording. I am even tempted to run up to BB to get it tonight.... not.

It sounds like you are throwing down a challenge to everyones sound system. Test at your risk.

OK!

Seriously, my 20-year old Klipsch Forte mains (along with Klipsch center and surrounds) have never disappointed, being fed by 100 to 150 per channel sweet McCormack Amplifier watts; my home-built subs (12-inch Dayton Mark 3 Sonosub and 15-inch Tempest Baltic Birch box, both tuned to around 15 Hz) have never bottomed out (unlike my previous Hsu subs, excellent in their own right, but not meant for the deepest depths of reference-level digital bass).

If this BD offers up anything near the demands of War of the Worlds or (new) Flight of the Phoenix, I am anxious to rattle some wall sconces

One note about the film vs. the comics - I am not averse to stylized violence, but I thought that the film went a little over the top in two or three scenes, offering up grotesque butchery beyond the source material, and not adding anything to the story. Just my .02...
post #26 of 198 Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

For me the audio track was 5db lower in volume compared to other films. But it does have some referents moments. Long Movie, not my type of move. 1st half was slow, picked up after the second half. Very Dynamic, great bass. I would need to go back, but, I think Iron Man, Hellboy II and the Police video are still better demos then this movie for Audio. JMO
post #27 of 198 Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank1415 View Post

i got an early rental copy and im wondering if this disc is defective.
the pq is absolutely amazing but the audio is all over the place, vocals are low effects are way too high, i had to keep the volume remote in my hand the whole time
granted im using dts re-encode and coax
i have many discs with dts-hd master source and ive never came across anything this bad, look forward to more feedback here to see if anyone else has this problem,this may stop me from buying it all together

Agreed, center channel sounded a good 5db lower than the two mains. Like you, had to keep the remote in hand. But since I was drinking beer while watching, I didn't have to fiddle with the remote the last hour or so.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #28 of 198 Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

Awesome review!

Can anyone tell me what the extra 24 minutes contains?

Here's a bit of a description as to what the extra 24 mins include.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1) Rorschach vs cops in Blake's apartment. The first extra scene is also the very worst in the movie. As Rorschach goes through Eddie Blake's closet and learns he was the Comedian, two uniformed cops come in to investigate noises. One gets knocked out by Rorschach, and the other seemingly empties a clip into Rorschach's back as the vigilante stands on the window ledge before jumping out, which happens off screen for maximum Batman like effect. It's a terrible scene for a couple of reasons - one, it's an action beat where the movie doesn't need one, the cop shooting at Rorschach at seemingly point blank range but missing is silly and it ruins a glorious transition from the original cut, where Rorschach is looking at a picture of the Minutemen and we go to the same picture in Hollis Mason's house. But the good news is that this is the hands down worst addition, so we get that out of the way fast.

2) Hollis and Dan see Rorschach on TV. A tiny beat is added to the Hollis and Dan reminiscing scene, where they see Rorschach on television as a newscaster talks about the superhero beating up a cop.

3) Out of the subway. Dan walks out of the subway on his way home from Hollis' house. The camera pans up a giant Nostalgia ad.

4) In the kitchen. Dan mentions the cop attack to Rorschach in the kitchen. Rorschach dismisses it, saying the cop wasn't permanently injured.

5) Possible: the secret entrance. When Dan tells Rorschach they should continue their conversation downstairs we see him open up a bookcase that conceals the secret entrance to the basement. I'm not certain if this bit, which is just an extra shot, was in the original cut.

6) Rorschach walks in the rain. After leaving Dan's house we see Rorschach walking through the rain, voice overing a non-story Rorschach's Journal entry. It's essentially extraneous, as are many of the extra Rorschach scenes.

7) Dan and Laurie and the cab. After their dinner, Dan walks Laurie to a cab. The extension is a line or two where he asks her if she always travels with federal bodyguards, and she talks about how they want to make sure she isn't upsetting Dr. Manhattan. This is setting up Laurie's later house arrest.

8) Kovacs walks at the funeral. There's more of Rorschach as Kovacs walking with his doomsday sign outside the gates of the cemetery before the Comedian's funeral. I'm assuming that the addition of a couple of seconds of footage impacts editing later on in the sequence, as it's set to a Simon and Garfunkel song, but I wasn't able to see what was trimmed or notice if the song plays longer in this cut.

9) Comedian on the chopper. During the opening of the Dr. Manhattan flashback to Vietnam we get an extra shot of the Comedian on a helicopter, shooting a pistol at people on the ground and grinning like a madman.

10) Dr. Manhattan arrives at Crimebusters. The Crimebusters meeting flashback begins with Manhattan and Janey Slater teleporting in. "See," he says to her. "I told you you wouldn't be the only one dressed up." Laurie takes notice of him. This is an addition that's weird in that it feels like it just should have been in the movie from the start - it's about 12 seconds, tops, and it's one of the few scenes that shows us the more human Dr. Manhattan. We hear so much about how he's lost his humanity that seeing him joke shows us that humanity.

11) Eddie talks more. There's more of the Comedian talking about how useless the superhero team concept is. It's a pretty good addition, and the Comedian makes his point more clearly. Rorschach gets a whiny word in edgewise.

12) The Comedian vs rioters. During Dan's flashback to the Keene Act riots we get a little bit more before the Comedian jumps off the Owlship and starts breaking heads. A woman shouts up "My son is a cop and he lost his job because of you faggots!" Someone throws a can which nails the Comedian in the forehead; that's what makes him decide to start kicking ass.

13) Possible: More Moloch. There's a couple of extra seconds of Moloch coming home before he gets jumped by Rorschach. The ex-villain gets his mail.

14) The news vendor and Kovacs. As Dan and Laurie leave to go to Hollis Mason's we see the news vendor and the comic book kid for a moment. The news vendor tells Kovacs that the New Frontierman hasn't arrived yet. Apparently there's more of the kid and the vendor in the Ultimate Cut, coming this Christmas. Those hoping that the Director's Cut might add more of these characters so that their deaths at the end carry more meaning will be disappointed.

15) Laurie's itching for a fight. As Dan and Laurie walk to Hollis' Dan warns her this is a bad neighborhood. "Good," she says. "I'm in a bad mood."

16) Manhattan empties the TV studio. After being ambushed on live TV and freaking out, Dr. Manhattan makes everyone in the TV studio disappear before going off to Mars. This addition better pays off the 'Leave me alone!' yell; in the original cut John just goes to Mars.

17) Extended post-mugging. After finishing off the muggers we have a longer moment with Dan and Laurie. Laurie's done for the night; Dan tries to get her to go to Hollis', but she goes home to the military base. It's an interesting look at how the characters react to the violence; while Laurie relishes it in the moment, she's shaken afterwards. Dan is more controlled during the fight, but he's still raring to go afterwards. This is reflected in the post-tenement fire and the post-jail break scenes.

18) Additional Hollis scene. Dan goes to Hollis' house, where they see Dr. Manhattan freak out on television.

19) Possible: Extra shot of John during his origin. This is one I'm really unsure about. As John is on Mars recalling his origin, there seems to be an extra shot of him hovering in the air, with fall leaves floating in the air.

20) John explains the symbol on his forehead. As John draws the symbol on his forehead he explains that the marketing boys want him to have a logo, and that he chose one he can respect. This is simply a voice over addition, and I'm not sure why it wasn't there in the first place.

21) Laurie is questioned by the Feds. Returning to her quarters, Laurie is held for questioning by the Feds in Dr. Manhattan's disappearance. They want to know where he could have gone and what she did to make him leave. When one starts making misogynistic insinuations about her, she slams his head into a ping pong table.

22) Laurie's flashback to the Crimebusters. The second most important missing scene! After walking out of the Crimebusters meeting Laurie talks to the Comedian - until her mother barges in. This sets up Laurie's later realization on Mars that the Comedian is her father. In the original cut this scene is only shown during Laurie's flashback on Mars, lending it zero emotional weight and giving it none of the surprise that comes from seeing it play out once in a different context. Here it seems like Blake is hitting on the young girl, and it's the repetition of the scene that really pays it off. This missing scene was the edit I felt most in the original cut.

23) Manhattan is discovered on Mars. As the Feds hold Laurie in house arrest Felix Gaeta from Battlestar Galactica walks in and says they found Manhattan on Mars. Since this was cut in the original version there's some ADR when Laurie meets Manhattan in Dan's basement: "The TV says you're on Mars." Strangely, that ADR remains in the Director's Cut, despite the reintroduction of this scene showing how Laurie found out John's whereabouts.

24) Nixon the madman. There's an extended version of the scene where Nixon learns that Manhattan has left. We learn more about the possible Soviet reaction, and Kissinger counsels that the president must scare the Russians by being "Nixon the madman."

25) Laurie's escape. As the scientists lay out satellite photos of Mars and Dr. Manhattan's location, Laurie beats up the misogynistic Fed, takes his gun and escapes. This sets up Laurie's gun in Karnak at the end of the film.

26) Veidt's assistant will take no dictation. During the assassination attempt by Roy Chess Veidt's assistant takes even more damage. Besides taking a bullet through the calf, she gets her fingers shot right off in clinical detail. This is a little over the top, and the original version of the scene plays better and less splatsticky.

27) Rorschach's secret hiding place. We see where Rorschach hides his stuff, in a garbage bin in an alley. Folks hoping to see Kovac's slutty landlady will be disappointed. After getting his outfit on, Rorschach hears an assault in progress. "Some nights the city is generous to me."

28) Roy Chess investigation. Straight from that Rorschach breaks into Roy Chess' apartment looking for clues. He finds a matchbook from Happy Harry's Bar, where he and Dan go at the end of the film to get leads.

29) Extended psych evaluation. The psych evaluation scene plays out slightly longer, with Rorschach getting a couple of more lines in. Nothing earth shattering, but slightly more Rorschach character stuff.

30) Possible: The murderer comes home. Probably the scene I'm least sure about. During Rorschach's flashback to the case that made him a sociopath there seems to be a couple of extra seconds of the murderer coming home, just before Rorschach starts throwing dog corpses at him.

31) The doctor gives up. At the end of the psych evaluation the doctor leaves the room and tells the guard "I can't help him."

32) Dan remembers Hollis. When Laurie finds Dan looking at the old costumes in his basement there's a very quick additional line where Dan reminisces about meeting Hollis Mason for the first time and the connection they had.

33) The tenement girl sees Jesus. As Laurie leads people from the burning tenement into the Owlship a young girl asks her mother if Nite Owl is Jesus. There is no additional scene of Laurie getting everyone coffee and the original cut keeps the transition from Dan and Laurie sharing a lusty stare as the Owlship leaves the tenement to the people having been offloaded and Laurie putting away the coffee cups.

34) Rorschach's not home. When Dan and Laurie break into prison the first place they go is Rorschach's cell. They see that he's not there and that Lawrence's armless corpse is laying outside the bars.

35) Leaving prison. Dan, Laurie and Rorschach get onto the prison roof. As Dan calls Archie over, Rorschach says that the only thing that could get Dan back in costume was a nice pair of legs. Then he essentially calls Laurie a whore for cheating on Dr. Manhattan. They start bickering but have to stop as cops come out on the roof. They open fire on the Owlship as Rorschach closes the hatch. This scene sets up why Laurie is bummed out when they get back to Dan's house. It also sets up why Dan is so pissed off at Rorschach when he talks about Dan's weakness for women.

36) Hollis Mason's death. This is the big one. Really, if you needed any reason to buy the Director's Cut, it's this scene. It opens with the news vendor and the comic book reading kid; a group of Knot Tops come out of the subway and stop in front of the newstand to discuss how Nite Owl just busted Rorschach out of prison. One of the Knot Tops says that Rorschach killed his buddy. Another says that the Nite Owl lives in the neighborhood, and they should go get revenge.

Meanwhile, Hollis is on the phone with Sally Jupiter. When she asks why he finally called after all these years he says because the TV just showed Dan and Laurie at the tenement fire, and that he's thinking about the old days. They chat briefly but he hangs up when someone knocks on the door. It's the Knot Tops; they bust in and start beating him down. In a glorious scene scored to Intermezzo from Cavelleria Rusticana Hollis fights back, using an old boxer's stance. As he lands punches he sees his attackers as his old enemies from the 40s; each hit is punctuated by a flashbulb in a way that homages Raging Bull. As Hollis is down and about to be clubbed to death he sees the final attacker as Moloch in his youth.

37) More on Mars. There are some slight dialogue additions between John and Laurie on Mars. I would almost swear they used different takes in some of these scenes, but that would be crazy.

38) Dan goes nuts. After Dan and Rorschach get their info at Happy Harry's they see news on Hollis Mason's death on TV. Dan snaps; seeing a Top Knot in the bar he begins savagely beating the guy, knocking out his teeth. Dan screams that he will return and destroy this whole neighborhood, that they'll die (he's right!) and Rorschach grabs his arm and stops him, warning him not to freak out in front of the civilians. When Rorschach and Dan are breaking into Veidt's office we get a glimpse of Dan still being bummed out about Hollis.
post #29 of 198 Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I saw Watchmen in the theater and liked it but not as much as those of you who had read the comic book series. Nevertheless, based on Ralph's review, I am really looking forward to seeing the BD, which is at the top of my BB queue, along with Prison Break: The Final Break, which also comes out next Tuesday.
post #30 of 198 Old 07-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Agreed, center channel sounded a good 5db lower than the two mains. Like you, had to keep the remote in hand.

shame, i'm getting really tired of movies with really low dialog and loud levels for action. just recently had a similar problem with valkyrie.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Watchmen Directors Cut Bd Live Blu Ray 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page