Feature running time: 119 Minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French Dolby Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Geena Davis, Matthew Modine, Frank Langella, Maury Chakin, Stan Shaw, Patrick Malahide
Directed by: Renny Harlin
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Robert King & Marc Norman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 11, 2009

"Prepare your weapons"

Film Synopsis:

After the death of her father, Morgan Adams (Davis) discovers part of a treasure map tattooed on his head. With the help of William Shaw (Modine), a convict she buys at an auction, Morgan hits the high seas to recover the remaining sections. However, she is not alone: her murderous uncle Dawg (Langella), who holds the puzzle's final piece, also seeks the gold. With a mutinous crew and the soldiers of the British crown in hot pursuit, Morgan and William set sail for Cutthroat Island, where the treasure - and danger - awaits.

My Take:

From the mid 1980s through the mid 1990s Geena Davis had a string of successful films that ranged in genre. It seemed that there was little that she couldn't do. Admittedly I am a fan and I like her in pretty much everything I have seen her in. Released in 1995 Cutthroat Island featured an established big budget action director in Renny Harlin (Die hard 2 and Cliff hanger), a good sized budget, and three big name stars in Matthew Modine, Frank Langella and Geena Davis. The story revolves around Davis' character Morgan Adams, the daughter of pirate captain Black Harry. When Black Harry is betrayed and mortally wounded he turns to Morgan with his dying breath and reveals the location of a third of a treasure map which shows the way to Cutthroat Island and its legendary treasure. The remaining two thirds of the map are each held by Morgan's two uncle's Dawg (Langella) and Mordachai (Murcell). Black Harry tells Morgan to Captain his ship/crew and seek out Mordachai for help in dealing with the treacherous and treasure hungry Dawg. After determining that the map is written in Latin she seeks out someone who can interpret it. This brings her together with the slick talking thief/con man William Shaw (Modine). He is motivated by greed and self preservation but has an endearing side that eventually wins Morgan over. Captain Dawg is also in pursuit of the remaining map pieces and will stop at nothing to obtain them and the treasure. As they each move to secure the remaining third of the map treachery is afoot. Once the location of the island and treasure is revealed it becomes evident that blood is not thicker than water and only one Captain will be standing in this swashbuckling action adventure.

I haven't seen this movie in a number of years. I remember it being one of the early films released on DVD which is when I first saw it. I like its fast pace and blended elements that combine plenty of action with a fun, light spirited story that has just enough of a knifes edge to keep it from feeling campy. Davis has no trouble portraying this strong, leading character and her chemistry with Modine is solid. Frank Langella is a fine actor who has no trouble playing the role of the bad guy you love to hate. Rex Linn and Stan Shaw are two seasoned character actors who lend credibility and balance to the supporting cast. The script is a little shallow but the characters are drawn well and Director Renny Harlin knows how to stage an action film. This certainly isn't Master and Commander but it's an entertaining popcorn movie that I consider to be a guilty pleasure.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some strong pirate action/violence and brief sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Cutthroat Island comes to Blu-ray from LionsGate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 mbps.

This is a great looking high definition Blu-ray catalog release from LionsGate. Images have a resplendent quality with punchy contrast and discernibly crisp delineation and multi-dimensional acuity. The period clothing reveals the depth of the color range and exhibits vibrant primaries and vivid textures that sparkle in high definition. I appreciated the lucid quality and clearly defined edges that enhanced visual perspective during the majority of the presentation. There is some intrinsic focus related issues that occasionally soften certain segments but this appeared camera angle/lighting dependent. Blacks are stable with extended dynamic range, and deep gradational highlights that pop when onscreen with mixed content. Shadow detail is excellent which provides good visibility in sequences that utilize low lighting and contain dark elements. This increased visibility and gave those scenes greater depth of field. The light grainy structure was readily apparent and served to give the video an appreciably filmic quality. From what I could see there were no egregious signs of fidelity degrading digital noise reduction and other than some minor edge enhancement I didn't see any overtly distracting artifacts.

This 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack was just as impressive. This is a fairly in your face type of sound mix that features bombastic elements that have a refined and open delivery that is not to be underestimated despite its age. This film uses a complex sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue was distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable. Sound effects were accurately placed within the sound field which established a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what was being heard within the room. This created an immersive and engaging soundscape that wasn't overly aggressive but was abundantly rich in detail. I found that subtle background effects such as the sounds of the open aired jungle or the rotating sound of a gull as flies from right rear and passes behind the listen position (in chapter 10 as Morgan and William scale the cliff face) had a natural, enveloping and audible presence. John Debney's music score was unquestionably the star of the show and it sounded magnificent throughout the film. It appreciably enhanced the action based sequences as the rousing, orchestrated instrumentation enhanced the film's swashbuckling spirit. It was accentuated by the smooth timbre of the brass and the low frequency punch of the bass drum/timpani. The sound mix delivers rich, well extended bass response that provided tactilely dynamic impact that was occasionally room filling. This is a fun and engaging lossless surround mix that elevates this home theater presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by director Renny Harlin

• Making of featurette - 6 minutes

• Trailer - Theatrical & teaser

Final Thoughts:

Cutthroat Island is a fun, action based pirate adventure that may not have the intensity and depth of the better films in it genre but it entertains nonetheless. For me it remains a film which I consider a guilty pleasure that I like to revisit from time to time. Fans are sure to appreciate its presentation on Blu-ray Disc from LionsGate. It features excellent video and reference quality DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound. Unfortunately its abysmal selection of bonus supplements is disappointing. Regardless, it has found a home in my collection and is an easy upgrade recommendation for fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread in the other forum on this and i was concerned there might be DNR applied after someone posted a link to some images apparently from the Blu Ray.

I then decided to cancel the Lionsgate order and get my copy from Canada and a company called Maple who distribute in Canada.

I'm getting it for half the price of the Lionsgate title and it's coming out on the exact same day so i'm assuming it's likely the exact same print that Lionsgate are using.

I wonder if you or your contacts in the review industry know anything about the Canadian edition.

It's one of my favourite movies of the nineties and i love the music score. I take it i have nothing to worry about then regarding possible use of DNR by Lionsgate and maybe i should now cancel the Maple edition and just pay for the Lionsgate.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maple or Lionsgate or are both the same ?

Ok after reading your review i have cancelled the Maple Canadian edition and bought the Lionsgate one. Costs more but still cheap compared to new release prices so thats fine by me.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I started a thread in the other forum on this and i was concerned there might be DNR applied after someone posted a link to some images apparently from the Blu Ray.

I then decided to cancel the Lionsgate order and get my copy from Canada and a company called Maple who distribute in Canada.

I'm getting it for half the price of the Lionsgate title and it's coming out on the exact same day so i'm assuming it's likely the exact same print that Lionsgate are using.

I wonder if you or your contacts in the review industry know anything about the Canadian edition.

It's one of my favourite movies of the nineties and i love the music score. I take it i have nothing to worry about then regarding possible use of DNR by Lionsgate and maybe i should now cancel the Maple edition and just pay for the Lionsgate.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maple or Lionsgate or are both the same ?

Ok after reading your review i have cancelled the Maple Canadian edition and bought the Lionsgate one. Costs more but still cheap compared to new release prices so thats fine by me.

Greetings,

M, any applied DNR is minor in my opinion and certainly not worth avoiding this release. If you love the music score this presentation delivers the goods in spades.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What a surprise, I had no idea this was coming to Blu-ray. I took my children to the theater to see this one in 1996. We all liked it and I was surprised to learn later it was such a financial disaster. The amount spent to make it was what amazed me, the money sure wasn't well spent, hopefully the Blu-ray version will recoup the losses.

Chris
post #5 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Collect!
post #6 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks Ralph, this is one of my most looked after releases this month. Can't wait till Next week!!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I just hope the Canadian release won't have bilingual cover.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #8 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Any idea if this is region free? Its not on the radar for the UK and noticed PlayUSA have it at a fantastic £8.99 (US$16.99)
post #9 of 19 Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley1701 View Post

Any idea if this is region free? Its not on the radar for the UK and noticed PlayUSA have it at a fantastic £8.99 (US$16.99)

Region free..

http://movietyme.blogspot.com/2009/0...gion-free.html

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 19 Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

It does not look like it http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...45&catid=27846
However it is just a cover art on the site, I'm going to FS lunch time today and will check it and post back.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review.This film was a terrible one even the location was so beautiful but it was not worthing for a big butget film.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

On its way from Netflix. Looking forward to it as the quality looks pretty decent considering it is a catalog title.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks Ralph, ... just pre-ordered the Blu-ray! I agree 100% with your opinion / review with the movie Cutthroat Island and can't wait to experience the lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound!!!

Phil
post #14 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Confirmed Region free, I ordered it from play and thankfully it plays great. Yay!
post #15 of 19 Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Sorry it took me a while to reply since I did not go to Futureshop that day. I went today and it is a bilingual language cover.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watched this this morning...wife immediately started talking about how utterly stupid it was (she likes POTC), so we turned it off after the ridiculous sequence of the coach getting shelled by the warship(?). AWFUL!
post #17 of 19 Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
It's a fun flick, IMHO. The only reason I don't watch this movie over and over again is because the DVD is not anamorphic. On a 96" 21:9 screen, it's just godawful looking. So any improvement is welcome.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #18 of 19 Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:

It's a fun flick, IMHO. The only reason I don't watch this movie over and over again is because the DVD is not anamorphic. On a 96" 21:9 screen, it's just godawful looking. So any improvement is welcome.

Watched some of it while calbrating my new Oppo multiregion Blu Ray player yesterday and it looks very good. ( Only multiregion due to hardware modification just in case anyone buys it reading this post and ends up disappointed ) I actually increased detail enhancement to +3 and it looks fabulous. Even without the detail enhancement increase it looks good.

My Japanese import edition with full bitrate 1.5mbp/s dts audio sounds fabulous but the image is full of bad edge enhancement but this edition is very superior in that regard.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Watched some of it while calbrating my new Oppo multiregion Blu Ray player yesterday and it looks very good. ( Only multiregion due to hardware modification just in case anyone buys it reading this post and ends up disappointed ) I actually increased detail enhancement to +3 and it looks fabulous. Even without the detail enhancement increase it looks good.

My Japanese import edition with full bitrate 1.5mbp/s dts audio sounds fabulous but the image is full of bad edge enhancement but this edition is very superior in that regard.

Greetings,

Glad to hear you're happy with it M..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page