post #91 of 122 Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

There was a Superbit DVD edition sold in the UK when Sony had the rights to the movie for that part of the world. I believe those rights have long since passed.

The Superbit edition sells for big money these days on Ebay and other trading sites.

Thanks for the clarification....I thought we were talking US only--call it American bias

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thanks for the clarification....I thought we were talking US only--call it American bias

and it is region 2, but beleive me, if you are a big fan of gladiator, there is a way to fix your oppo to play the super bit, and I think the sound is better than the blu ray and the picture quality for the scenes that really stink in the blu ray, are much much better........

the super bit blows away the standard dvd....i think it came out in 2000

.go to amazon.com uk, and they have a number of very positive reviews on the super bit....indeed the only negative reviews are the people who did not like the movie (too much violence, yadada)

Same for Quick and the dead......
(popele whining over not much difference between the gladiator DVD and the blu ray (or quick and the dead) , let me tell you that the super bit of both movies is far better than the standard DVD, far better......

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #93 of 122 Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Australian version releases tomorrow in a metal slipcase! Woo hoo!
post #94 of 122 Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalon83 View Post

Australian version releases tomorrow in a metal slipcase! Woo hoo!

nice
post #95 of 122 Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Will finally get ot watch it tonight

Frank

post #96 of 122 Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
watched it last night, fantastic!!

Frank

post #97 of 122 Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

I just got around to watching this. The added scenes looked magnificent, while the rest of the movie looked noticeably worse. It is such a tragedy that a major release like this doesn't get the best treatment possible by the studio. Was it just pure laziness that they didn't give the rest of the movie the same care as the additional scenes?
post #98 of 122 Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910 View Post

I just got around to watching this. The added scenes looked magnificent, while the rest of the movie looked noticeably worse. It is such a tragedy that a major release like this doesn't get the best treatment possible by the studio. Was it just pure laziness that they didn't give the rest of the movie the same care as the additional scenes?

GREED.......save a buck......that is what those expensive upscaling devices and DNR can do for a flick

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #99 of 122 Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't own this movie, but thought the following information might help those of you who do and find the pic quality lacking.

Paramount is apparently exchanging the disc, and the newly remastered version is appearing in stores, but beware, make sure you buy the correct version!

Giving credit where it is due....

Picked up this info via Slickdeals (ODB):
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...7862&t=2259655

Referencing this article:
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/paramoun...y-release/7839
post #100 of 122 Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie7910 View Post

The extended scenes were mastered much more recently. Though, that they look better may be more blind luck than anything. The rest of the film was mastered in the late 90's when DVD was the principle focus. Though the master would still have been 1080p, the equipment used back then was insufficient for a 1080p format. Mastering practices were often skewed for the limitations of DVD and the typical displays available at the time as well. But, yes: Paramount was extremely negligent in verifying that the quality of Gladiator's initial release was up to modern standards; sadly, such oversight plagues the catalogue Blu-ray market. Apparently even premium packages aren't immune.

It took about 2 weeks to get my replacement disc back from Paramount; that's shipping coast to coast. I've had bad experiences with Paramount in the past losing my rebate requests and didn't trust the same wouldn't happen with the BD, since they're handling the exchange in such an unprofessional manner, not even providing RMA numbers to help insure they don't lose the discs.

To provide some piece of mind, I put the bad disc in a cd sleeve and wrote my return address and other info on the sleeve, sandwiched it between two pieces of cardboard and printed a USPS label online. I've shipped discs without cases like this before and never had a problem. The benefit of shipping online is cheaper rates and 19 cent delivery confirmation. 1st class mail with delivery confirmation/tracking was about $1.50 for a 2 oz package. I also took pictures of everything before I shipped it, just in case Paramount did lose it.

You can ship the disc for less with a stamped envelope, but at the post office tracking will cost over 70 cent and the USPS doesn't offer tracking for envelopes without upgrading to priority mail $4.95. So for piece of mind, printing your label online is by far the cheapest route.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #101 of 122 Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
are we talking about the original first release of Gladiator on Blu, or is this the newest release that a lot of folks got an exchange thru the mail? I had the original and I definitely agree with you Ralph. If the new one is much better on video I'll def. bite....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #102 of 122 Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

are we talking about the original first release of Gladiator on Blu, or is this the newest release that a lot of folks got an exchange thru the mail? I had the original and I definitely agree with you Ralph. If the new one is much better on video I'll def. bite....

The new one is MUCH better and worth the investment.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #103 of 122 Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

well i'm sending in my original copy tomorrow and i can't wait for it to get back

colton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #104 of 122 Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Ralph,

Do you plan on updating this review since the new Blu-ray was released?

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
post #105 of 122 Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologuy
hey ralph,

do you plan on updating this review since the new blu-ray was released?
+1

colton

post #106 of 122 Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post
Hey Ralph,

Do you plan on updating this review since the new Blu-ray was released?
Greetings,

I do but haven't gotten to see the new version. Once I get a copy I will update the review.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #107 of 122 Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

I just purchased the new Gladiator Blu-ray and all I can say is stunning...

I can't wait to get your take on it...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
post #108 of 122 Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Ill put a bump on this if that is acceptable....
Any other opinions on the re-release of Gladiator? Have you had a chance to view the re-release Ralph? Any feedback from those that that replaced it with the updated release? I have been contemplating picking up the BD release, but got scared off by all the bad reviews and didn't want to tarnish my feelings, as the SD release was quite impressive.

Tyron
post #109 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 05:32 AM

Liked: 49
Seconded.

I have Gladiator on DVD, but if I can get some confirmation that the "new" Blu-Ray release finally does the movie justice, I will definitely pick it up.

Boom
post #110 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post

Ill put a bump on this if that is acceptable....
Any other opinions on the re-release of Gladiator? Have you had a chance to view the re-release Ralph? Any feedback from those that that replaced it with the updated release? I have been contemplating picking up the BD release, but got scared off by all the bad reviews and didn't want to tarnish my feelings, as the SD release was quite impressive.

Tyron

Greetings,

The re-release is easily worth the purchase and makes for a definitive improvement over the standard definition release. Enjoy!

Regards

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #111 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM

I understand that there's a possibility you may still be purchasing the old transfer unless you look for specific markings on the case, is any one aware of what to look for to make sure you're getting the re-mastered version? Some reviews on Amazon indicate it's a marking on the physical disc itself, anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.

Boom
post #112 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

I understand that there's a possibility you may still be purchasing the old transfer unless you look for specific markings on the case, is any one aware of what to look for to make sure you're getting the re-mastered version? Some reviews on Amazon indicate it's a marking on the physical disc itself, anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.

There is actually a pretty good thread on this that I came across on BluRay.com last night dealing with the re-release. Apparently for the USA the disc has a yellow UPC code for the remaster and says 2-disc set above the Paramount Logo on the back of the BD Case (not the slipcover). For us Canadians though, it is apparently a crap shoot as to whether you get the new remastered version or the original due to a pacakaging error by Paramount even using the identification measures listed above. I think I am going to risk it depending on the cost of the disc up here. Worst case I can use the 15 day exchange privilege.
post #113 of 122 Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 AM

Picked up the re-master last night...

Bad ass.

Boom
post #114 of 122 Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just picked up the Gladiator/Braveheart dual pack. Happy to say that Gladiator is the Sapphire series re release, and not the earlier sub par version.
post #115 of 122 Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Just picked up the Gladiator/Braveheart dual pack. Happy to say that Gladiator is the Sapphire series re release, and not the earlier sub par version.

Great news and a good price for the pair at FS, will be picking them up as well, thanks.
cheers
post #116 of 122 Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Great news and a good price for the pair at FS, will be picking them up as well, thanks.
cheers

Yes, the set is a steal of a deal. Also at CC for less than 20$.
post #117 of 122 Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Just picked up the Double Sapphire set with Gladiator and Braveheart yesterday. Never saw the "bad" release, but this one seemed to be good picture quality wise. A great deal at $20 for the pair as opposed to $30 each to buy them individually
Glad that paramount decided to remaster and release.
post #118 of 122 Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How can you be positive that what you're watching is actually the re-mastered and re-released version? Could just as well be the original...

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #119 of 122 Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

How can you be positive that what you're watching is actually the re-mastered and re-released version? Could just as well be the original...

I have done my research, and there is definitely more than enough info out there... There are physical identifiers on the disc as well as ways to tell once you fire it up. Also, the picture quality of the release speaks for itself. None of the issues that I have read about regarding picture quality exist in the copy that I have.

Thanks,
Tyron
post #120 of 122 Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
From what I've read the Canadian re-mastered versions didn't get the different packaging with the yellow UPC etc. I've read that it's basically a crap shoot in Canada as to which copy you get.

Mind elaborating on these physical identifiers on the disc? Going by PQ alone isn't enough for me.... it could be the original and you just think it looks great so are assuming it's the re-master. Without an actual re-master there to compare with, PQ/visual memory isn't enough to come to a definitive conclusion imo. Also, if these identifiers are on the actual Blu-Ray disc itself... that means there is no way to tell without opening the package which voids any exchange or refund.

The reason I'm being such a stickler here is because I've wanted to pick up Gladiator on Blu for a while and keep reading about how the Canadian edition is a crap-shoot.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gladiator , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page