Studio and Year: Paramount/DreamWorks - 2000
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 155/171 Minutes
Genre: Action/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Reed, Derek Jacobi, Djimon Hounsou, Richard Harris
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: David Franzoni, John Logan, and William Nicholson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 1, 2009

"The General who Became a Slave. The Slave who Became a Gladiator. The Gladiator who Defied an Empire "

Film Synopsis:

Director Ridley Scott’s triumphant Gladiator is an unparalleled combination of vivid action and extraordinary storytelling that earned five Oscars® including Best Picture. The stunning historical epic follows Maximus Meridas, the brave general who was forced into slavery, emerged a gladiator, and defied an empire.

My Take:

Gladiator is an epic style film from Paramount and director Ridley Scott that revolves around Roman General Maximus Meridius (Crowe), that begins with the Roman Army’s to victory against Germanic barbarians in the year A.D. 180, ending a prolonged war, and earning the esteem of elderly Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Harris). As the battle come to its conclusion Commodus (Phoenix) and Lucilla (Nielsen) son and daughter of Marcus Aurelius arrive in Germania to meet with their father. Although the dying Aurelius has a male heir, Commodus, he decides to appoint temporary leadership to the morally-upstanding Maximus, with the desire to return power to the Roman Senate, effectively reviving the Republic. Aurelius meets with Maximus privately and speaks candidly about his feelings for him and his wishes. Afterward he offers him time to consider before informing Commodus. Marcus meets with Commodus and breaks the news to him before receiving an answer from Maximus. Commodus goes into an emotional rage and smothers his father to death. He declares himself the emperor and asks Maximus for his loyalty, which Maximus, realizing Commodus' involvement in the Emperor's death, refuses. Commodus orders Maximus' execution and dispatches Praetorian Guards to murder his wife and son. Maximus narrowly escapes his execution, but is injured in the process. He races home only to discover his wife and son charred and their bodies crucified in the smoldering ruins of his home. After burying his wife and son, a grieving Maximus succumbs to exhaustion and collapses on their graves. Maximus is found by slave traders and sold into slavery. He is bought by a Proximo (Reed) a gladiatorial fight promoter/trainer and ex-gladiator who soon discovers that once spurred to fight Maximus thrills crowds with his superior swordsmanship, leadership and vicious style. For Maximus there is one thing that motivates him, the opportunity to avenge his murdered wife and son, by killing Commodus. His fame and crowd pleasing wins in the arena provide him with that opportunity as he comes face to face with Commodus and challenges him before all of Rome.

I saw Gladiator during its theatrical run and multiple times now on home video. This is an epic style film that holds up incredibly well under repeat viewings. This is due to its superb balance of action, drama, and lightly historical significance. Additionally, it features dynamic, well executed action choreography, strong casting, and excellent direction. Academy Award winner Russell Crowe tows the line and is the catalyst that establishes the connection between Maximus and the story. For me this is Joaquin Phoenix’s finest performance and unfortunately the swansong for the versatile and perfectly selected Oliver Reed. This is to take nothing away from the remaining cast, specifically Djimon Hounsou and Connie Nielsen that offered strong supporting roles. This two disc set in Paramount’s new Sapphire Series contains both the theatrical and extended version of the film which adds an additional 16 minutes of footage. In my opinion the additional scenes didn’t add or take away anything from theatrical version. Both are fine but if I had to choose I would prefer the theatrical cut. Gladiator may not have the depth of the better classic films that depict its subject matter but make no mistake that it has made its mark as a cinematic work and is one of my personal favorites.

Parental Guide:

Both versions contain intense and graphic combat/battle sequences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 74

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Gladiator comes to Blu-ray from Paramount/DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.7 mbps.

I can’t speak for everyone but for me Gladiator is a film that I have looked forward to for release in high definition. Frankly I never found the DVD version (s) to be especially satisfying from a video perspective and had high hopes for this Blu-ray release. Much has been bantered about in the past few weeks regarding the poor quality of the video on this release. Many have complained about excessive DNR, edge enhancement and smudged imagery that make it nearly unwatchable. Having watched it I can attest to the presence of halo producing edge enhancement and the application of digital noise reduction. I also noticed minor aliasing/jaggies (an example can be seen at the 1.07:50 time mark in the gold vertical striping in Commodus armor as he and Lucilla converse). This was much less of an issue than the latter and may be missed unless you’re looking for it. What makes this presentation problematic is that the video has an uneven visual quality that compromises fidelity. I watched the extended edition and the integrated additional footage looks appreciably better than the original theatrical elements. That isn’t to imply that all of the original film elements are of lesser quality. There are many scenes that reveal excellent delineation with clearly defined lines and fine object detail. Conversely there are instances where images are noticeably lacking in those qualities and have a smoothed over texture that gives faces and backgrounds a less distinct “finish” that is obvious. An example of this can be seen during the segment where Proximo summons Maximus and discusses his past as a gladiator. As the camera’s perspective switches between the two note the variations in detail in Crowe’s features versus Oliver Reeds. Grain remains present however the application of noise reduction leaves it appearing random in texture which can be distracting.

It is important to note that this isn’t an overtly bright or color rich film which in and of itself can sometimes leave it appearing lusterless. When there are lighter elements they pop nicely with well balanced contrast/brightness and vivid primary colors that sparkle in high definition. Fleshtones are predominantly on the sun splashed/golden side and lean toward warm/pinkish with fairer complexions. Blacks are rich and dynamic with revealing gradations that enhance depth perception in uneven lighting and shadow filled backgrounds. Halos are visible around objects if you look for them although I didn’t find their presence to be a prevailing issue. I suspect that the larger your display the easier they will be to notice. I have certainly seen more egregious applications of artificial sharpening but sensitivity to this can vary from one person to the next. I compared several sequences to the DVD as I wanted a frame of reference. There is no question that this presentation offers a clearly definitive improvement. Blacks are richer, darker segments have better dimension, colors appear more refined and there is a discernible extension in visual acuity. While this may be true it doesn’t hold up well when compared to the better high definition offerings we have become accustomed to seeing on Blu-ray. This is a shame because in my opinion a high profile release like this deserves better.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is another matter entirely as it sounds great. Dialogue is full bodied, and clearly intonated with excellent vocal inflection and aural description through the center channel. Unlike some of the more aggressive surround mixes in today’s action oriented films this mix doesn’t contain strong low frequency transients. Bass is authoritative with palpable presence when applied but doesn’t extend deep enough to tactilely engage the room. Where the audio excels is in the reproduction of high level detail, defining clarity, and room filling surround sound. This is a sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Dynamic range is extensive as it covers a broad spectrum that enhances the perception of the finest sonic detail while enriching the more aggressive elements contained in the recording. From the opening battle sequence in Germania to the intricately weaved pattern of sounds heard in the bowels of the coliseum I never had a problem with distinguishing high or low level sounds. This is presented in a seamless fashion with excellent front and rear channel integration. Hans Zimmer’s stirring and memorable music score sounds magnificent throughout the course of the film. Whether by its rousing measures or subtle orchestration it never fails to convey the mood or spirit of the moment. I have never heard it sound better. I love lossless sound…

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Two audio commentary tracks - One for each version of the film

• The Scroll of knowledge – 12 historical “pods” containing access to key scenes and their relation to the historical accuracy depicted in the film

• Visions from Elysium: Topic marker – 28 selectable topics that viewers can tag to create a list that will provide immediate access to featurettes/galleries of interest contained on Disc 2 (this is done via your BD player’s memory)

• Disc 2:

• Strength and honor: Creating the world of Gladiator – 7 featurettes

1. Tales of the scribe
    2. The tools of war
    3. Attire of the realm
    4. The heat of battle
    5. Shadows and dust
    6. The glory of Rome
    7. Echoes in eternity

• Enhanced viewing option with even more info

• The Aurelian archives – 9 segments

1. The making of Gladiator – HBO First Look special
    2. Gladiator games: The Roman blood sport – Learning Channel special
    3. Hans Zimmer: Scoring Gladiator
    4. My Gladiator journal – personal diary of Spencer Treat Clark (Lucius)
    5. An evening with Russell Crowe
    6. Maximus uncut: Between takes with Russell Crowe
    7. VFX explorations: Germania & Rome
    8. (HD) Trailers
    9. TV Spots

• Image and Design - Five segments covering production design, storyboards, costumes, and weapons

• Five abandoned sequences and deleted scenes

Final Thoughts:

Gladiator is a powerful and exciting film that essentially made Russell Crowe a household name. Its mix of evocative story telling, engaging battles and epic scope not only earned it 5 Academy Awards, including best actor (Crowe) and best picture, but make it a compelling film that has found its rightful place in the video collections of many. Its highly anticipated release on Blu-ray Disc from Paramount/Dreamworks Sapphire Series is somewhat bittersweet. It offers a comprehensive and excellent bonus supplement package that contains hours of production, behind the scenes, and Blu-ray friendly features that fans are sure to appreciate. The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio lossless sound quality provides an engaging and satisfying experience that rivals its theatrical presentation. Unfortunately the video presentation appears to have been mastered from the same source as the previous DVD versions and falls below the standard that we have come to expect from quality high definition releases on Blu-ray. Regardless, this presentation does offer a discernible improvement over any previous home video release. Whether or not to upgrade/purchase it is a decision that each will have to consider but this disc has found a place in my Blu-ray library.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad you got the opportunity to now give us your take on this movie regarding the BD quality. As always, thanks much!

Quoted: "There is no question that presentation offers a clearly definitive improvement. Blacks are richer, darker segments have better dimension, colors appear more refined and there is a discernible extension in visual acuity".

I have done several comparisons now versus the SD DVD DTS ES set I have and there is no contest! Nothing else has been in my player since release date. Guess it doesn't matter to me how much better visually Braveheart is.

While the audio track isn't amongst the best of the best per se, I'm happy to have it as I always feel the audio is where the biggest bang for the buck is for catalog titles regarding an upgrade of the SD DVD in most cases.
post #3 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Nice review as usual Ralph. Too bad about the video quality. Very dissapointing as I was very much looking forward to this being reference for both audio and video.
post #4 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Nice...how can you screw up Gladiator? I mean seriously some should get fired.

Stephen
post #5 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It's in my Netflix queue...

In the mean time, I'll be watching Braveheart over and over and over... ;-)
post #6 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think this review is a bullseye Ralph - could and should look better, but a notable upgrade over the DVD.
post #7 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM

I saw was looking forward to getting Gladiator on blu
I wish they fix it and re-release it.
post #8 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Ralph, you typed in "Becameia" in the tagline twice.

I'm disappointed that the video quality didn't turn out the best, but unfortunately I'm still going to buy this. Too good of a movie to pass up. At least the sound is excellent!
post #9 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Very well balanced, nuanced and informative review, as usual. Thanks (as usual)!
post #10 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Great review Ralph. Your findings mimic mine, with the exception of the jaggies, which I'll have to pop my disc in again and see if I see those as well on my end...great eyes!

David

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #11 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post

Ralph, you typed in "Becameia" in the tagline twice.

I'm disappointed that the video quality didn't turn out the best, but unfortunately I'm still going to buy this. Too good of a movie to pass up. At least the sound is excellent!

Greetings,

Got it! Thanks geocab..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

The whole point of HD is not how much better than SD DVD it is, but how close it is to the film. To say it may be worth getting simply because it is better than DVD is a cop out.
post #13 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

It would be interesting to see if anyone thought it looked better/less processed on HD cable. Might have to start searching for this in another digital format...
post #14 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

It would be interesting to see if anyone thought it looked better/less processed on HD cable. Might have to start searching for this in another digital format...

Didn't some people say the DVHS transfer was better? Or a I imagining that?
post #15 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see such a balanced review for the disk on AVS. Congratulations on not being intimidated by the forum frenzy! It's interesting that all the official online reviews so far judge the video quality similarly. That is, it's not nearly as bad as the forum's suggest but we'd still like to have seen better for this film.
post #16 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post

The whole point of HD is not how much better than SD DVD it is, but how close it is to the film. To say it may be worth getting simply because it is better than DVD is a cop out.

Greetings,

I agree. The problem here is that neither accurately reflects the original source.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great review Ralph. Your findings mimic mine, with the exception of the jaggies, which I'll have to pop my disc in again and see if I see those as well on my end...great eyes!

David

Greetings,

Sounds good Dave. Let me know if you notice it as well.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Ralph, I always reference and respect your reviews as they are most often in line with what I see in terms of your video rating. I cannot remember seeing much if any of your reviews giving a rating below 80 for video. I have seen BD's worse than Gladiator that your reviews rated about 80 or above and I have agreed with them. While 74 out of 100 is about the equivalent of 7.5 out of 10 (which is my take but only from having seen a loop at Best Buy from the BD) or 3.5 out of 5, give or take. I am curious as to how you came to 74 and why considerably lower based on what I mentioned above even after reading your take on the problems with the video.
post #19 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So Gladiator's PQ is actually worse than Gangs of New York? You gave that a 78.

How bad does a release have to get an average rating?
post #20 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 PM

as to picture quality, there are some great portions that only make the rest worse.

better than the dvd? Yes for those particular portions, for the rest, it is a rip off, pure and simple, of a movie i could watch over and over.

If you just got to buy it, buy it cheap-or better rent it and see if u are willing to shell out for it.

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #21 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Funny, I didn't find the audio to be that much better than the DVD version.
The video was slightly better.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #22 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Ralph, I always reference and respect your reviews as they are most often in line with what I see in terms of your video rating. I cannot remember seeing much if any of your reviews giving a rating below 80 for video. I have seen BD's worse than Gladiator that your reviews rated about 80 or above and I have agreed with them. While 74 out of 100 is about the equivalent of 7.5 out of 10 (which is my take but only from having seen a loop at Best Buy from the BD) or 3.5 out of 5, give or take. I am curious as to how you came to 74 and why considerably lower based on what I mentioned above even after reading your take on the problems with the video.

Greetings,

Hugh, I am not certain which films you are referring to but generally films that receive ratings below what you reference are not so much because of problems associated with post production but genrally because for what ever reason stated don't fall into the category that would keep them in line with the bulk of the better quality releases. I tried to outline in my narriative the problems I saw with this. Most (if not all) are post production related and negatively impact fidelity. While you may feel that this looks better than some which have received higher ratings the fact remains that this one doesn't come as close to resembling the source as those may. The deductions it received as a result is what determined its score.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

So Gladiator's PQ is actually worse than Gangs of New York? You gave that a 78.

How bad does a release have to get an average rating?

Greetings,

Kram if you would seriously like to participate in this discussion I would be happy to but that will require that you stay on topic.

Regards,
Bladerunner1959 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just watched it (Netflix). Love this movie! And the video looked fine on my 52" Sony LCD, but I'm more of a watcher and not an analyzer

I cannot remember if this has been discussed on the DVD, but am I the only person who hears the Zulu soundtrack when the Germans return the headless guy It continues until the fighting starts. It is quite audible with the DTS-HD MA track, but also clearly there on the DVD DTS track. I'm a big Zulu fan, so maybe that's why I hear it so clearly. It appears to be when the Zulu are slamming their shields above Rourke's Drift just before the fighting starts, though I'd have to actually run the two movies side-by-side to be sure, and I've only one Oppo 83.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #25 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph, do you think that Gladiator's PQ is worse than Gangs? Also how bad would the PQ have to be to earn an average or below average rating? For example what would a really good SD upconvert receive? Just curious.
post #26 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm going to state up front that if anyone crosses the line in this thread and attacks or is disrepectful to Ralph you will be suspended. Consider this like a traffic violation in a work zone. This is not to say that one can't disagree, but do it in a respectful manner. This topic has turned into an over-the-top frenzy that will NOT cross over into this thread.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #27 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I'm going to state up front that if anyone crosses the line in this thread and attacks or is disrepectful to Ralph you will be suspended. Consider this like a traffic violation in a work zone. This is not to say that one can't disagree, but do it in a respectful manner. This topic has turned into an over-the-top frenzy that will NOT cross over into this thread.

Ron

Personally, I feel this could have been said in a much more respectful manner to all involved. There were 25 posts before this one and no one was disrespectful to Ralph. INMHO, Mods should try to be diplomatic, not throw around threats of bans or suspensions. This only fuels the arguments and resentment, it doesn't help civility in any way. Again, this is just MHO.
post #28 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Ralph, do you think that Gladiator's PQ is worse than Gangs? Also how bad would the PQ have to be to earn an average or below average rating? For example what would a really good SD upconvert receive? Just curious.

Greetings,

Kram, I reviewed Gangs some time ago and haven't watched it since. It would probably be unfair to draw a comparison without looking at it again. Perhaps I will and will drop you a pm. It wouldn't be appropriate for discussion in this thread.

You question regarding a really good SD upconvert is a bit open ended and would be hard to answer without an example. Drop me a pm if you want to discuss further...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the review Ralph,

I have to say I disagree with most of the reviews, concerning video quality, yours and DVD Beaver etc. Considering video quality, overall I prefer the DVD. That seems more consistent. This disk is all over the spectrum. I cringed at the pastiness of Richard Harris. Being marketed as Shapphire ?

I would give it a below average, 64 rating. If I close my eyes, 99.
After price match and rebate, I'm still paying too much.

Looking forward to your next review. Thanks

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #30 of 122 Old 09-04-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph,

I have to say I disagree with most of the reviews, concerning video quality, yours and DVD Beaver etc. Considering video quality, overall I prefer the DVD. That seems more consistent. This disk is all over the spectrum. I cringed at the pastiness of Richard Harris. Being marketed as Shapphire ?

I would give it a below average, 64 rating. If I close my eyes, 99.
After price match and rebate, I'm still paying too much.

Looking forward to your next review. Thanks

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your input/impressions Davinleeds.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gladiator , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page