Studio and Year: Miramax - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 99 Minutes
Genre: Martial arts/action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (dubbed), Chinese Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jet Li, Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Zhang Ziyi, Chen Dao Ming, Donnie Yen
Directed by: Zhang Yimou
Music by: Tan Dun
Written by: Li Feng, Zhang Yimou, Wang Bin
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 15, 2009

"One man will challenge an Empire"

Film Synopsis:

Master filmmaker Quentin Tarantino presents Hero - starring martial arts legend Jet Li in a visually stunning martial arts epic where a fearless warrior rises up to defy an empire and unite a nation! With supernatural skill...and no fear...a nameless soldier (Jet Li) embarks on a mission of revenge against the fearsome army that massacred his people. Now, to achieve the justice he seeks, he must take on the empire's most ruthless assassins and reach the enemy he has sworn to defeat!

My Take:

Hero is a film much like Crouching tiger hidden dragon in that it tells an involving story using a flamboyant and physical visual style steeped in martial arts and larger than life caricatures. The story revolves around a nameless avenger who seeks an audience with the reclusive and elusive emperor. The emperor maintains high level security and a large, methodical army to enforce laws and protect him from would be assassins. Nameless (Li) gains this audience with the emperor because he has single-handedly dispatched a deadly trio of assassins known as Sky (Yen), Flying Snow (Cheung), and Broken Sword (Leung). Two members of the trio attempted to assassinate the emperor, escaped, and have eluded his army. The Emperor is very interested in learning how Nameless was able to pull off such a feat and insists on a detailed explanation of the events that transpired. At this point the film is then told through a series of flashback sequences that intermittently return to present (Nameless and the emperor). First, through Nameless, second through the Emperor, as he details his own suppositions based upon what he has heard from Nameless, and his skepticism as to its authenticity and lastly an additional telling that very well may be what actually happened although it is never really determined. As the story unfolds through each telling/version it changes leaving us with an intricate weave of variability with the potential outcome essentially being the same although even that may be interpretive. The result can be a little frustrating because as each version is depicted it elicits an emotional investment that we entrust to each only to find out that perhaps it never occurred. Frustrating or not it ends up paying dividends thanks to the story's depth, viscerally strong action sequences, fight choreography, cinematography, cast, and capable direction. This is my first experience with Hero and like Crouching Tiger it left me notably impressed and desirous of another viewing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for stylized martial arts violence and a scene of sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Hero comes to Blu-ray from Buena Vista HE/Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital surround that have average and constant bitrates of 4.5 mbps and 640 kbps respectively.

This high definition presentation has a light grainy and filmic quality that doesn't lend itself to razor sharp clarity and three dimensional depth. Wide angle shots tend to offer clear definition with fair but limited visual depth. Close-ups and mid level shots reveal better refinement with appreciable nuance and texture. Filtering and clever use of color combine to give it a stylized/period look with certain segments bathed in mood creating monochromatic hues. Secondary colors tend to be limited to sepia/earth tones and grays that aren't overly vivid but do appear natural and delineated. Primary colors are cleanly rendered and pop quite nicely when onscreen. Blacks are deep and rich, with excellent dynamic range that gives them discerning visual depth. Contrast is strong without compromise to fidelity. Shadow delineation is equally impressive which provides good image penetration during segments containing limited lighting. During the sequence in chapter 10 as Broken Sword and Snow storm the palace I noticed what appeared to be digital noise in the backdrop of the green curtains (?) as they swayed to and fro in the background. I didn't detect any other obvious signs of video related anomalies or artifacts and thought that this encoding looked solid..

This Blu-ray disc is presented with Chinese lossy Dolby Digital and English dubbed DTS-HD Master Audio sound options. I have no idea why a Chinese DTS-HD MA language track wasn't included. Personally I prefer to watch with the original language tracks rather than dubbed as I find it too distracting. In this case I ended up splitting between the two in order to evaluate the lossless audio quality as well as being able to enjoy the film. In either case I found this to be a superb and fairly aggressive surround mix that offers impressive sound quality. This is a notably complex sound design that utilizes the entire system to effectively create an enveloping atmosphere that is brimming with directional and discretely placed sound effects. Panning sequences are delivered with seamless precision which makes for a cohesive 360 degree soundfield. Dynamics are powerful and deliver authoritative impact and clearly articulated audio that allows all of the sonic detail inherent with the soundtrack to be detectable. Low frequency effects provide room energizing bass that is clean, extended and tactilely efficient. Tan Dun's beautiful music has a potent and visceral feel that is enhanced by the soundtracks impressive dynamic quality. Dialogue is rendered with good tonal variation and clarity through the center channel however during busier audio segments lacks prominence within the front soundstage. That minor complaint aside I thought this was a terrific sounding audio presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Close up of a fight scene - Behind the scenes featurette - 9 minutes

• Hero defined - 24 minute featurette

• Storyboards

• Inside the action: A conversation with Quentin Tarantino and Jet Li - 14 minutes

• Soundtrack Spot

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Standard definition version of Hero that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/Mac to a portable media device

• D-Box Motion code enabled

Final Thoughts:

Hero is a wonderfully executed and exciting film that combines intrigue, drama, and incredibly entertaining and intricate martial arts choreography. I found its presentation on Blu-ray Disc to be good but not without room for improvement. Its strongest attribute is its soundtrack but that is tainted by the strange decision to only offer an English dubbed lossless audio option. The bonus supplements include a Digital Copy and Blu-ray exclusive features but the content is only mildly interesting. Whether or not to pick this up will largely depend how eager you are to upgrade your current version. I would imagine that this presentation will best the previous DVD release and is worthy of consideration. If you have never seen Hero I highly recommend you through it in the queue and give it a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no mention of the "dumbed down" subtitles?
that's a been a big complaint.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced View Post

no mention of the "dumbed down" subtitles?
that's a been a big complaint.

Greetings,

I have heard that complaint but quite frankly I am not familar with the langauge or original elements to render a verdict in that regard. I am certain that there is enough information circulating to allow fans to make a decision. Sorry I can't be of more help there...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for getting to this one, Ralph.

I had it in my queue and it is being shipped to me today. I wasn't about to blind buy this BD because of quality concerns I had even though I like the movie enough. Looking forward to watching some of it tomorrow but Wolverine will be first!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM

I know this isn't pertaining to the BD-version, but when I originally saw the movie it was a Chinese version and hadn't been released over here yet. I got the U.S. released version and saw quite a bit of difference of color 'saturation'. Meaning, blacks weren't as black and so forth. Does this happen often with foreign released films?

StevePhy
post #6 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review,Ralph.My recollection is this film had a nice story with great surround in DTS in a dvd era.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

HHmmmm. I already have this in DVD and seen it many times. Guess the question now is is it worth to get the BR copy? HHmmm....

Contemplating.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 AM

$30 selling in amazon is a bit over price in my opinion, i would rather wait for a HK releaes version it probably would had 7.1 hd sound and original audio in hd.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I have no idea why a Chinese DTS-HD MA language track wasn't included. Personally I prefer to watch with the original language tracks rather than dubbed as I find it too distracting

i agree; dubbing of any film is an outright abuse. thanks for the review though.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Does the film **** mean 4 of 5 for content of the movie (plot etc..)?

I read the guide and it seems to suggest so.

If so, 4 out of 5 is a tragedy on this film. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Period.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page