Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 107 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Cantonese, Portuguese, Mandarin
Starring: High Jackman, Leiv Schreiber, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, Ryan Reynolds
Directed by: Gavin Hood
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams
Written by: David Benoff & Skip Woods
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 15, 2009

"From the beginning"

Film Synopsis:

Leading up to the events of X-Men, X-Men Origins: Wolverine tells the story of Wolverine's epically violent and romantic past, his complex relationship with Victor Creed and the ominous Weapon X program. Along the way, Wolverine encounters many mutants, both familiar and new, including surprise appearances by several legends of the X-Men universe whose appearances in the film have long been anticipated.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=153045&d=1253472694

I rushed out to the theater and caught X-Men origins: Wolverine during its theatrical run. I liked it just fine although not as much as the first two films in the X-Men series. The movie provides us with the background on who Logan (Jimmy) was before becoming Wolverine and how he came to be so tormented by his past. The film opens with him as a boy and details his relationship with Victor Creed/Sabertooth. It further fills in some great info on how he came to know and work with William Stryker as well as the origins of adamantium, the impenetrable metal that Stryker arranges be grafted to Logan's skeleton. The film introduces several new faces to the mutant film gene pool. These characters along with Logan/Victor are recruited by Stryker as part of a military task force whose existence and mission status is classified. It is clearly obvious that this group was selected because of their skills and propensity for indiscriminate violence/killing. Although Victor and Logan spent years fighting side by side during some of our country's biggest wars it quickly becomes apparent that Victor's penchant for senseless violence knows no bounds. Logan decides that he cannot be a party to the violence and killing and leaves which creates a rift between he and Victor. 6 years later after the task force has disbanded its members are being found murdered. Stryker locates Logan living in Canada where he has found love and peace in a small lumberjacking community. Stryker informs him of what has been happening and that Victor is the one killing off their old squad mates. When Logan's girlfriend falls victim to Victor he finds himself face to face with his past and the rage of guilt and devastation over her death. Stryker uses that as the catalyst to bring Logan back into the fold with the promise of redemption. The solution and guarantee of success Stryker offers comes by an experimental process of grafting adamantium to Logan's skeleton. This, along with his ability to self heal will make him nearly unstoppable, if he survives. ..

Well as we all know he survives. The story continues and reveals more about Stryker, adds a few tidbits that integrate future X-Men/mutants, and details how Logan came to lose his memory. This essentially brings the story up to the beginning of the first X-Men film. I thought the plot here was developed well enough and offered plenty of action to keep things moving. I liked the mutant powers of some of the new characters, specifically Agent Zero, Wade/Deadpool, and Gambit. The dramatic elements here were not integrated as well as some of those in the earlier X-Men films and the CGI was a bit more obvious at certain points too. I did like the animosity between Logan and Victor and how it drove the story. After watching it a second time my feelings didn't change much. This isn't the best film in the X-Men series but I thought it was entertaining enough to keep interest high and its Blu-ray Disc presentation made the experience even more enjoyable.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence and some partial nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=153046&d=1253472694

X-Men origins: Wolverine comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate pf 22 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation that features resplendent colors dynamic, punchy contrast and crisp resolution. In all but a few instances images boast transparent imagery, with defining sharpness that highlights fine detail. Close ups can yield lucid visual acuity and an almost tangible reach out and touch perspective. Contrast is boldly applied which slightly overdrives whites while adding punch to colors and dynamic quality to bright sun drenched sequences. Blacks and shadow detail are strong which provides dark scenes with excellent depth of field and noticeable gradational highlights. Colors are rich and vibrant, with deep, beautifully rendered primaries that stand out but appear natural and tonally delineated. The video has a light grainy texture that rarely calls attention to itself during scenes with plenty of light. In dark scenes it occasionally took on more prominence but wasn't what I would describe as obtrusive. I also noticed in several instances that resolution dropped off slightly. From what I could tell that was innate to the photography and appeared to be related to the integration of CGI and green screen backgrounds.

The DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix is equally impressive and is of reference quality. I recently added the Anthem AVM50v audio/video processor to my review system and thought this would be a great disc to test it's internal high resolution audio decoding. The results were spectacular as this soundtrack runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialogue and soft music to thunderous, dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. Dialogue rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Dynamics are demonstrative as the aggressive nature and strength of swooping helicopters, roaring engines, explosions and crumbling structures rumbles with superior authority and powerful deep bass transients. Don't miss the scene in New Orleans where Gambit fires off a volley of exploding cards at Logan. Listen (or feel) as each card emits a series of low frequency bursts that pulsate with deep bass energy. Harry Gregson-Williams' music score is carefully integrated into the sound design and is wonderfully detailed, acoustically transparent and three dimensional. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving. From the gentle sounds of blowing wind or reverberant echoes to the familiar and enveloping effects of formidable enemies battling heroes sounds are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. This is an impressive audio/video presentation that essentially mirrored its theatrical one and will make for great demonstration material.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by director Gavin Hood

• Commentary by producers Lauren Shuler and Ralph Winter

• (HD) The roots of Wolverine: A conversation with Stan Lee & Len Wein - 16 minutes

• (HD) Wolverine unleashed: The complete origins - 12 minute featurette

• (HD) Weapon X mutant files - 10 character profiles from the film featuring the cast both in character and out, including behind the scene interviews/footage

• (HD) The thrill of the chase: The helicopter sequence - 6 minute featurette

• Ultimate X mode - BonusView PiP interactive feature - Behind the scenes, pre-visualizations, storyboards, X facts, X-connect

• (HD) 4 Deleted/Alternate scenes with optional director commentary

• Fox Movie Channel presents: World Premiere - 6 minutes

• BD-Live - Live Lookup feature - allows users to access up-to-date actor filmographies and information related to X-Men Origins: Wolverine via IMDB, the Internet Movie Database.

• (HD) Fox on Blu-ray - Trailers for the X-men Trilogy and Night at the museum

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/Mac to a portable playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=153047&d=1253472694

Final Thoughts:

X-Men origins: Wolverine is an entertaining action affair that gives fans a glimpse into the backstory behind one of Marvels most popular X-Men. It lacks the depth of the first two X-Men films but easily bests the third and makes for a great popcorn flick when your in the mood. Fox brings it to Blu-ray in a fan friendly two disc set that features reference quality lossless sound, excellent high definition video and a well rounded and fairly comprehensive assortment of bonus features that include Blu-ray exclusives like Live Lookup and Ultimate X Mode. This one is definitely worth adding to your collection if youre a fan. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nice review Ralph! I agreed with it... It has some demo worthy scenes.. But it lack the pop out in terms of pq that other movies have...

I can imagine how good did it sound with your new anthem.... It is looking that the baby will come first than the anthem....

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #3 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The mountain scenes are great demo material. As for the sound quality, it could have been better.

I thought that the story was lacking in some areas. In the end, I liked the movie and would have loved to see more of it.
post #4 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I enjoyed this film for a 1 and done rental. I did not think the AQ was reference caliber though........definately a bit subdued in spots. Some explosions/effects sounded/felt great while others were lacking.....definately a bit uneven audio on this one. I was really hoping for aggression similar to the 3rd film as far as the audio and it just was not up to par with that. I commonly agree with you on audio Ralph, but not this time.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about the implication he's old enough to have been in the Civil War?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #6 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I enjoyed this film for a 1 and done rental. I did not think the AQ was reference caliber though........definately a bit subdued in spots. Some explosions/effects sounded/felt great while others were lacking.....definately a bit uneven audio on this one. I was really hoping for aggression similar to the 3rd film as far as the audio and it just was not up to par with that. I commonly agree with you on audio Ralph, but not this time.

Greetings,

Not a problem Todd. While I agree that this isn't a sonic tour de force it definitely struck the proper notes when called upon (in my humble opinion of course ).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Nice review Ralph! I agreed with it... It has some demo worthy scenes.. But it lack the pop out in terms of pq that other movies have...

I can imagine how good did it sound with your new anthem.... It is looking that the baby will come first than the anthem....

Cool Chris! Best of luck my friend...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #8 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the great review.This big budget film should had done better than this,the great thing in this movie was only surround sound and so did Transformers :Revenge of The Fallen.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
X-Men trilogy>Wolverine.
post #10 of 35 Old 09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Great review as always, Ralph. You were right on the money.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #11 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I thought the plot was as good as action films get. Maybe not quite on a par with the X-men 1, as good as X-men 2, and better than X-men 3.

Video and special effects were rather good for a first time view. CGI did not intrude on the story, except once: The really cheesy image of Charles Xavier in front of the helicopter. Patrick Stewart was uncredited for that appearance, and rightly so: He wasn't in the movie.

Audio was reasonable, and I thought the dialogue was rather good. There were few places where it became unintelligible, and that's good for an action movie.

I think the final scores are about right on this one.
post #12 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 AM

After watching it three times last week (Tuesday alone when I got it, Friday with my wife and Saturday with friends when they came over)
I concluded that beside the low budget special effects, it is a fine movie with a fine story.

Thanks for the review Ralph
post #13 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! Is the first impression i got when i saw the trailer before this movie even came out.

Actually my brother let me borrow his "internet version" before the movie came out. So i got to see the whole movie but ofcourse with unfinished CGI effects.

Thought the whole story in itself was great and how Wolverine got his adamantium claws. The transition in the end when the professor showed himself was a nice touch.

Definitely Collect!!
post #14 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As someone who read the X-men (1960s) and Wolverine (1980s) comics when they first came out, I was glad to see all the films come to the big screen. I did not particularly care for the first X-men film, however. By the third, I thought they were on the right track for introducing new characters and integrating them.

Wolverine has always been my favorite among the Marvel characters. I knew of Wolverine's origin and his relationship to Sabretooth. Thus, it was with great anticipation that I went to see this film in the theater. I did not leave disappointed. For my money and perspective, this was the best of the group. Even better is how it looks on blu-ray in my theater.

Hopefully, there will be a sequel. The dedicated comic book focused on Wolverine's years in Japan. I would like to see that story told or his years in the Canadian wilderness.
post #15 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

It's always been known (in the comic community anyway) that Logan and Victor are pretty old. Their healing ability slows down their aging.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #16 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

It's always been known (in the comic community anyway) that Logan and Victor are pretty old. Their healing ability slows down their aging.

Plus, Jean Grey's comment to Xavier in the 1st XMEN when they first brought Wolverine in. She stated that he is likley "older than you, Professor" - which should have insulted the Prof.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #17 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Agree w/ your synopsis of the movie, Ralph. Good popcorn flick - not as strong a film as the 1st 2 Singer-helmed XMEN movies, but easily better than the 3rd that Ratner foisted on us.

Thought both Jackman & Liev Schrieber's work elevated the film a notch above what it could have been. Not a BD buy for me, but certainly worth a rental.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #18 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

In the comics, Wolverine was born in the 19th Century.
post #19 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Nice review Ralph, I watched my copy over the weekend and agree that the highest score goes for the AQ on this disc. In addition to the card throwing scene you mention I was impressed by the Scott Summer/Cyclops power blasting his high school scene and Deadpool in the Three Mile Island fight scene. Sounded like the beam was ripping through the room.

I thought that Liev Schreiber (Jackman's friend in real life) brought just enough of the villain element to the part of Victor to make him the perfect choice of both opponent and ally to Logan's character...great actor. He has such a distinctive voice, it's a no wonder why we hear him on some many documentaries.

I was also struck by the similarities in the scene where Logan splits with Team X in Africa to the scene in Above The Law where Steven Seagal's Nico Toscani disagrees and leaves the CIA funded mercenary gang. And I appreciated the "Ma and Pa Kent" couple that aided Logan and briefly gave this movie a little of the Superman humanity.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #20 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I thought the video and audio where a bit of a let down. For this type, and level, of movie I expected much more pop and 3d to the pic. If Ralph rates it an 86 that, to me, is a complete failure for a new movie like this. The surround action was nice but the LFE did not have as much impact to what I like to feel in an action movie.

post #21 of 35 Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm surprised I liked the movie and even more so my wife enjoyed it! (She hated the X-Men !!!).
But did not like the BR presentation at all, crushed blacks, glaring CGI everywhere, not enough contrast, even the sound was underwhelming.
In the first scene, where the two boys are running in the woods, was it just me that thought there was just not enough good black level?
post #22 of 35 Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Looking forward on watching this.

Frank

post #23 of 35 Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone think the picture looked weird when Gambit is on the ladder and Wolverine is below? It was a noticeble difference in the picture as they went back and forth between Gambit and Wolverine.

Not sure if it was my PJ (RS2) or the movie
post #24 of 35 Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I thought the video and audio where a bit of a let down. For this type, and level, of movie I expected much more pop and 3d to the pic. If Ralph rates it an 86 that, to me, is a complete failure for a new movie like this. The surround action was nice but the LFE did not have as much impact to what I like to feel in an action movie.

Im going to have to agree finished watching it and I thought it could of have been better. I was dissapointed with this film I had high hopes for it. Oh well and the blades, geez they did look shocking the worst being in the bathroom scene.

Frank

post #25 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM

I kind of wonder if the references to Firefly are intentional or just plain coincidence.
At some point the background score is very similar to the one used for some scenes of the firefly series
and then the "Shiny.." remark of Sabretooth when he sees Wolverines new claws for the first time.
I also think Liev Schreiber is a great villain, he is certainly one hell of an actor.
For some reason underrated, though....
post #26 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM

Hi !

Great PQ indeed on most scenes.
But as for sound... Sorry, but almost nothing was coming out of the rear channels... COmpletely different from X-Men 2 for instance which has a stupendous DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

Skipping to the french DTS 754.75 Kbps audio soundtrack revealed a lot more more things: on many scenes, rear channels were dramatically put to good use (totally different from English track... I mean really !) as well as increased dynamic range. Just give it a spin and you'll be blown away...

DTS-HD MA track here is totally disappointing... Helicpter crash and explosion was totally lacking... Looked like it was a TV series...

My two cents...

--
Stéphane/Cornwall
www.DTS-phile.com

DTS-phile.com

post #27 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

I'm surprised I liked the movie and even more so my wife enjoyed it! (She hated the X-Men !!!).
But did not like the BR presentation at all, crushed blacks, glaring CGI everywhere, not enough contrast, even the sound was underwhelming.
In the first scene, where the two boys are running in the woods, was it just me that thought there was just not enough good black level?

Not you at all ! Black levels were definitely lacking !

DTS-phile.com

post #28 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:

But as for sound... Sorry, but almost nothing was coming out of the rear channels... COmpletely different from X-Men 2 for instance which has a stupendous DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

Skipping to the french DTS 754.75 Kbps audio soundtrack revealed a lot more more things: on many scenes, rear channels were dramatically put to good use (totally different from English track... I mean really !) as well as increased dynamic range. Just give it a spin and you'll be blown away...

Would have to 100% agree with this. The bass was almost not present when it should have blown you away.
post #29 of 35 Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

This isn’t the best film in the X-Men series but I thought it was entertaining enough to keep interest high and its Blu-ray Disc presentation made the experience even more enjoyable.

Agreed. Rented it Thursday night as I was really looking forward to watching this one. Thought it was "okay/enjoyable", but didn't find it as captivating as a couple of the other X-Men movies. Actually, I enjoyed all 3 x-men movies better than this one.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #30 of 35 Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Agreed. Rented it Thursday night as I was really looking forward to watching this one. Thought it was "okay/enjoyable", but didn't find it as captivating as a couple of the other X-Men movies. Actually, I enjoyed all 3 x-men movies better than this one.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your impressions Steve...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , X Men Origins Wolverine Two Disc Ultimate Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - X by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page