Studio and Year: Warner - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 87 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Seth Rogan, Anna Faris, Michael Pena, Ray Liotta
Written & Directed by: Jody Hill
Music by: Joseph Stephens
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 22, 2009

"Right now the world needs a hero"

Film Synopsis:

Bargain hunters at Forest Ridge Mall get more than they bargained for: a chubby flasher in a ratty bathrobe. They’re repulsed. Security guard Ronnie Barnhardt isn’t: “This disgusting pervert is the best thing that ever happened to me!” Catching the flasher may be his ticket to a real police job and to romance with a hot cosmetics-counter princess. Only one thing stands between Ronnie and destiny: a tall, handsome cop who actually knows what he’s doing. Seth Rogen, Anna Faris and Ray Liotta star in this mall-to-wall comedy covering acres of wild, sometimes raunchy, up-in-your-grill funny – all under one roof.

My Take:

Seth Rogan is indeed a busy man. Personally I could take or leave him but there have been a few of his films that I have liked. He is of course one dimensional and does much better when surrounded by a good cast and solid scripting. When I saw the trailer for Observe and report its similarities to Paul Blart Mall Cop were obvious. Unlike Blart the trailer for this didn’t leave me with a desire to see it. It would be unfair to say that this movie had no redeeming quality. Enjoyment of it will depend on the style of humor that gets you going. Unlike Kevin James’ Blart Rogan’s Ronnie Barnhardt relies on over the top situations, vulgarity and frequent use of the “F” word to illicit laughs. Rogan’s talents play well toward this but offer little in the way of a meaningful performance. Barnhardt is a bipolar, goofy, and presumptuous nimrod working as the head of security at a local mall. He has a crush on a conceited hussy, Brandi (Faris) that works in the mall as a makeup salesgirl and fails to pick up on the intentions of an attractive/worthy coffee shop employee (Colette Wolfe). When a flasher invades the mall and exposes himself to its patrons Ronnie takes a personal interest in the case after he flashes Brandi. This puts him at odds with the local police detective (Liotta) who is called in to investigate. I tend to like Anna Faris’ characters but found Brandi to be quite annoying. Ray Liotta’s impatient and unforgiving Detective Harrison wasn’t bad but the script left him with little to work with. While I must admit that there are a few funny moments, the majority of Observe and report is bereft of clever writing, interesting characters or quality humor.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for pervasive language, graphic nudity, drug use, sexual content and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Observe and report comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.4 mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. The lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack presented the film’s source elements with aplomb. The quality of the dialogue was unwavering as voices sound crisp and tonally balanced. Dynamic range was very good which lent subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is readily conveyed by the front channels. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that was measurable. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but it handily delivers a satisfying experience that didn’t leave me in any was disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• 17 Additional/Extended scenes

• Gag reel – 12 minutes

• BonusView PiP Commentary with Seth Rogan, Anna Faris, and director Jody Hill

• Seth Rogan and Anna Faris: Unscripted – 7 minutes

• Basically training – 6 minute look behind the scenes

• Forest Ridge Mall: Faux Security recruitment video – 3 minutes

• WB BD-Live access

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc – A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/Mac to a portable playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=153356&d=1253725826

Final Thoughts:

I like comedies in general and try to go into films like this with an open mind. Observe and report is a film that is typical of the comedic style that has become popular of late. It attempts to elicit laughs with over the top situations, unflattering characterizations and crude humor that has its moments but lacks invention. There is certainly an audience for it however it is not a film that will appeal to everyone. Fans will more than likely enjoy its bonus features, including Blu-ray exclusive content that coincide with the film’s comedic theme as well as its solid high definition audio/video presentation from Warner Bros.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for the review Ralph. I was on the fence about this and had it on my Netflix queue (until just now), but simply being crude doesn't equal funny. I'm passing. Mind you, I really liked 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' and other Apatow movies w/racy dialogue, but those were also funny.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph. I was on the fence about this and had it on my Netflix queue (until just now), but simply being crude doesn't equal funny. I'm passing. Mind you, I really liked 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' and other Apatow movies w/racy dialogue, but those were also funny.

Greetings,

Brajesh, it's up to you but if you already have it in the queue give it a rental and see what you think.

It has its moments.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd have to disagree about Observe & Report being typical of comedies released lately. It was a lot darker than I expected, and not in a comedic way. I agree with your overall rating for the movie though. I'd consider buying it if I see it on sale/clearance somewhere.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioneo View Post

I'd have to disagree about Observe & Report being typical of comedies released lately. It was a lot darker than I expected, and not in a comedic way. I agree with your overall rating for the movie though. I'd consider buying it if I see it on sale/clearance somewhere.

I agree that this is dark, darker than you would expect based on the trailer or Rogan's previous work. But I would day how funny you find this is very much based on your own sense of humor. I personally thought this was his funniest movie, but I can see how others would disagree. The humor is very crude at times, and at the same time not entirely goofy and thrown in your face. I'd almost say some of it is very smart humor.

I liked this movie a lot, and I'm definitely buying it, but I would still say give it a rental first. It is similar to Paul Blart on the outside only.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I agree that this is dark, darker than you would expect based on the trailer or Rogan's previous work. But I would day how funny you find this is very much based on your own sense of humor. I personally thought this was his funniest movie, but I can see how others would disagree. The humor is very crude at times, and at the same time not entirely goofy and thrown in your face. I'd almost say some of it is very smart humor.

I liked this movie a lot, and I'm definitely buying it, but I would still say give it a rental first. It is similar to Paul Blart on the outside only.

+1

I loved this movie. I have to agree that it depends on your sense of humor, but it still surprises me how so many people just don't "get" this movie. The humor is dark but also frequently very clever which I found very refreshing. Its not just another Apatow type movie. I also agree that it is my favorite Rogen role so far. The movie is not for everybody, but I would recommend giving it at least a rental.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

does the anthem have a affect on your reviews. will they all be higher than you previous equipment.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Didn't care for it, though like Ralph said, it had it's moments. While I agree it's a very dark comedy, there were just too many scenes that tried too hard to be funny, but fell flat.

I personally enjoy smart comedies, but I just don't think this one fits in that category. There were just too many implausible scenes that even a slapstick comedy would be embarrassed of.

F-Bombs don't bother me in the least (huge Kevin Smith fan), but even I thought it was a bit too much, maybe because it didn't make me laugh.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #9 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

does the anthem have a affect on your reviews. will they all be higher than you previous equipment.

Greetings,

I have no idea what you mean...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the movie was decent, but as I was watching this I got the feeling that this was Paul Blart Mall Cop Part 2 or the rated R version of that movie.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I have no idea what you mean...

Regards,

the anthem 50v is a better unit than your previou pre pro.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thought this was a pretty funny movie. Despite it's "dark" humor which i don't really care for too much overall it was hilarious. Plus seeing Anna Faris in it just makes it more funnier.

Collect.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Liked: 11
This was by far Seth and Apatow's worst outing. This film has zero redeeming qualities.
Do yourself a favor and skip it. I wish I had.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

the anthem 50v is a better unit than your previou pre pro.

Greetings,

Both have excellent qualities. I wanted to move back to separates and had previous experience with Anthem pre/pros. It's a great piece to be sure..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 21 Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukiwhitey View Post

This was by far Seth and Apatow's worst outing. This film has zero redeeming qualities.

Ok, now that we have THAT out of the way, the next most important reason 1 might want to watch this movie, is for Anna Farris of course! Are there any hot scenes of her in this? If there is than it least this movie has that going for it.

People, if there are known hotties in movies that are being reviewed, than that's part of the review that ALSO needs to be addressed!

Sure, video and sound quality play an important role, as well as the movie itself, but if the movie has none of that going for it, the movie can also at least be somewhat watchable based on the possibility of plenty of seeing some good stuff if you know what I mean

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #16 of 21 Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Ok, now that we have THAT out of the way, the next most important reason 1 might want to watch this movie, is for Anna Farris of course! Are there any hot scenes of her in this? If there is than it least this movie has that going for it.

People, if there are known hotties in movies that are being reviewed, than that's part of the review that ALSO needs to be addressed!

Sure, video and sound quality play an important role, as well as the movie itself, but if the movie has none of that going for it, the movie can also at least be somewhat watchable based on the possibility of plenty of seeing some good stuff if you know what I mean

Nah, imo, nothing to see in the Anna Farris department. I don't want to spoil anything, but trust me, this isn't the way you'd want to see her.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #17 of 21 Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I found that to be kind of the point. Other than possibly the head of the mall, no character really has any redeeming qualities. It's a comedy about a sociopath, and one that's not very smart at that. If you cared for The Foot Fist Way, or like Eastbound and Down on HBO you may like this.

I look at this movie more of an absurd version of Taxi Driver or Death Wish.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Nah, imo, nothing to see in the Anna Farris department. I don't want to spoil anything, but trust me, this isn't the way you'd want to see her.

That's good to know! Thanks for the heads up

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #19 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 AM

I consider myself a Seth Rogan fan, but this flick was not his funniest endeavor IMO. I didn't mind the dark and explicit humor, but I quickly realized that most of the scenes were not as funny as they could have been. It seems like certain things were done within the movie for the shock value, rather than humor. The last chase scene involving the pervert in the mall is a great example of what I mean.

This film is definitely better than the poorly executed Mall Cop movie, but I was inevitably left unfulfilled overall.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Just saw this one...definitely not quite what I expected. Not sure what to think, but it did hold my interest...which is good...right? lol
post #21 of 21 Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Apatow had nothing to do with this film. It was directed by Jody Hill, who directed The Foot Fist Way.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page