Studio and Year: Disney - 1937
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 84 minutes
Genre: Animated/Family/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Directed by: David Hand
Music by: Frank Churchill, Leigh Harline, Paul J. smith
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 6, 2009

"Heigh ho, heigh ho, it’s off to Blu we go!"

Film Synopsis:

Walt Disney's Animated Classic Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs is celebrated the world over for its timeless story, iconic characters and unforgettable music ("Heigh-Ho"). Snow White sparkles like never before with a brilliant, all-new, state-of-the-art digital restoration and exciting new bonus features! The beautiful and kindhearted princess Snow White charms every creature in the kingdom except one -- her jealous stepmother, the Queen. When the Magic Mirror proclaims Snow White is the fairest one of all, she must flee into the forest, where she befriends the lovable seven dwarfs -- Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Bashful, Sleepy and Dopey. But when the Queen tricks Snow White with an enchanted apple, only the magic of true love's kiss can save her! Share this beloved classic with your family and celebrate Snow White's happily ever after again and again!

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=154255&d=1254511028

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs truly is a classic and not just because it is a wonderful animated film. This is THE first full length animated feature film ever. It is the Disney film that started it all and launched a movie making enterprise that changed the face of cinema in a way that I am sure not even Walt Disney could have imagined. Walt Disney was a visionary and pioneer whose gamble on this film paved the way for every animated film that has come since and brought us some of the most beloved characters (both animated and living) in cinema. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has become a part of our entertainment culture and has been replicated in various forms, performed in school pageants/plays and clearly defines the essence of good and evil even at the most elementary level. Regardless of who you ask I guarantee that everyone can name at least four of the seven dwarfs and I bet you won’t find anyone who hasn’t seen or at a minimum heard of the film/story. When I was young there was no home video and in order to see films like this you had to go to the theater. I recall the frightening sound of the queen’s evil laugh as she transformed into the old hag. We sat in the theater and pleaded out loud with Snow White not to take the poison apple from her. I loved the seven dwarfs and the way that they watched over Snow White. My favorite has always been Happy. As a child he reminded me of Santa Claus with his jolly demeanor and big belly the shook when he laughed. I’m sure that everyone as their own favorite or two among the seven little guys. Who can forget the catchy “Heigh ho, Heigh ho, it’s off to work with go” followed by the finely articulated group whistle that repeated its tune.

This film has easily stood the test of time and like many of Disney’s films has touched generations of viewers over the 72 years since its release. My kids watched it on VHS when they were little. My daughter was quite a fan and loved both Grumpy and Happy. I am sure that my children like me, will share the experience of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with their children when the time comes. What an immeasurable legacy not only for this film but for Walt Disney himself. Disney is a class act with an impeccable track record for wonderful family oriented films. This Diamond Edition home video release of Snow White and the seven dwarfs is another example of their long standing dedication to offering quality home video releases. They, like several studios, have shown a fervent commitment to the Blu-ray format. Disney high definition Blu-ray discs have consistently been technically impressive as well as providing worthwhile bonus supplements. I appreciate the attention to detail and implemented features such as their enhanced menu navigation, BD-Live features/interactivity, Movie Rewards, Fast play, the inclusion of a DVD version of the film in the multi-disc Blu-ray release packages, and in this case their Hyperion Studios virtual tour feature which is incredibly innovative and just plain cool. Let’s not forget their willingness to digitally restore their films and bring them to life in a way that doesn’t negate the original elements. This is a great way for everyone to experience them all over again or perhaps for the first time.

My review copy is the three disc Diamond Edition which comes in the standard DVD style amaray case and includes a Blu-ray guide insert, Disney Movie Rewards code, and the two Blu-ray discs and DVD. Blu-ray Disc has come a long way in the last year or so. We are beginning to see what the format is capable of and from what I can see Disney is looking toward the future by providing high quality releases that will hopefully solidify the place of this great medium. I am thrilled that this masterpiece has finally arrived in high definition. I can assure you that the wait was well worth it.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=154254&d=1254511028

Snow White and the seven dwarfs comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

This film has undergone a restorative process that cleaned up the original print and the results are impressive. Colors shine brilliantly with pleasing saturation and striking blues that look absolutely beautiful. The 1.33:1 framed video is pillarboxed in black however Disney offers the option of viewing it via their DisneyView option where the pillarboxes feature custom artwork by Toby Bluth. The original film elements don’t have the highly polished resolution of today’s digitally enhanced animated films but fidelity remains intact as image quality is simply beautiful. Blacks don’t have an infinite sense of depth but they are solid black and stand out well when onscreen with mixed content. Looking at the queen’s robes or the sequence where Snow White runs through the woods the dark portions of the image are a deep shade of black. I noticed the same thing later after the queen transforms into the hag and is wearing the dark tattered cloak. Against her white skin it looked deep black. Dark scenes had excellent contrast with visible stages in grays and dark colors within backgrounds. Whites sparkled and appeared crisp, bright and punchy. I don’t think that we as fans could ask for this film to look any better than this. Bravo Disney!

Disney provides a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix which doesn’t go overboard and retains much of the feel of the original soundtrack. The main focus is in the front with superb music score spread over the entire soundstage. The four surround channels are mixed a bit lower than the mains so that frontal perspective remained intact while providing a discernible amount of spatiality that added dimension. There were one or two moments that engaged the subwoofer (like the thunder clap during the rain storm) and provided tactile low frequency energy but nothing that I would define as room shaking. That is not a complaint as its application didn’t feel out of place or excessive. I think that the mix was appropriate in that it didn’t feel disingenuous to the original soundtrack but simply added a bit of polish. The audio was crystal clear and free of the edginess that sometimes accompanies older recordings. I didn’t feel it sounded compressed or dynamically inferior which says something for the restoration process. Obviously this isn’t a new recording but considering it was made over 70 years ago it sounded very good indeed.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) The Princess and the Frog sneak peek

• Backstage Disney: Diamond Edition

1. (HD) Snow White Returns
    2. (HD) 2 Deleted scenes - soup eating, and bed building sequences

• (HD) Music and more - “Some day my prince will come“ - music video by Tiffany Thornton (5.1 Dolby Digital surround)

• Family play: games and activities

1. Mirror Mirror on the wall
    2. What do you see?
    3. Jewel jumble
    4. Scene stealer

Disc 2:

• Backstage Disney: Diamond Edition

• (HD) Hyperion Studios: 12 segments - 56 minutes

1. Story room
    2. Music room
    3. Art department
    4. Character design
    5. Background layout
    6. Animation department
    7. Live action
    8. Sweatbox
    9. Ink and paint
    10. Camera department
    11. Soundstage
    12. Walt‘s office

• Classic DVD features - Disney through the decades, Dopey‘s wild mine ride, “Heigh ho“ and Karaoke sing along

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 3:

• Bonus Copy DVD version of Snow White and the seven dwarfs
attachment.php?attachmentid=154256&d=1254511028

Final Thoughts:

Snow White and the seven dwarfs is one of the most beloved of the Disney Classic animated feature films. It holds a special place of prominence not only in the Disney universe but within filmmaking in general. As the first full length animated feature film it’s success paved the way for all of the beloved animated motion pictures (Disney and otherwise) that have followed in the 70 + years since its release. It is a favorite of mine and seeing it brings back fond memories not just of my childhood but of sharing it with my own children. Kudos to Disney on a spectacular Blu-ray Disc package that presents this wonderful family film looking and sounding better than ever. It is brimming with bonus features including Blu-ray disc exclusive and interactive features that present fans with a great way to enhance the high definition experience. This set is a must have, plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All systems go with what I've read with reviews so far and thanks for getting to this one. I'm really looking forward to watching this Tuesday evening after a first thing early morning purchase! Like OZ, some of these BDs worth the wait for shouldn't be put off any longer than that!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Am I the only one who thinks this movie is a bore? Granted, I realize its cinematic impact is huge, but as a film, it's pacing is too slow (for me, at least). Even as a kid, I called it "Snore White" (although I do like the dwarfs)

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great review Ralph! Looking forward on getting this movie on Tuesday..

David come on is a classic!

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Am I the only one who thinks this movie is a bore? Granted, I realize its cinematic impact is huge, but as a film, it's pacing is too slow (for me, at least). Even as a kid, I called it "Snore White" (although I do like the dwarfs)

Greetings,

Bore? No. Paced more like a drama, yes. At 84 minutes I think it moves along just fine. As far as the dwarfs go, who doesn't?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Yes Dave. You are the only one.

Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Truly one of the most important milestones in film history. Glad to know the restoration was a big success.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Ralph,
Thanks once again for the state-of-the-art review. I have loved this one throughout all phases of my life. This is a classic that I want always in it's best a/v presentation. Tuesday purchase, Tuesday night viewing.

(p.s.: ...any scoop on Lawrence of Arabia on blu? )

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Great review Ralph! Looking forward on getting this movie on Tuesday..

David come on is a classic!

I know it's a classic, but it's no Casablanca to me. I just think the pacing is too slow and there's not enough material even for 84 minutes...maybe 60 minutes, but not 84. I know, I know...I'm a curmudgeon.

David Vaughn

Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it's a classic, but it's no Casablanca to me. I just think the pacing is too slow and there's not enough material even for 84 minutes...maybe 60 minutes, but not 84. I know, I know...I'm a curmudgeon.

Yeah.. sometimes the movie feels slow, but its not that bad to me...

In any case its good to have these movies in high definition

Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah.. sometimes the movie feels slow, but its not that bad to me...

In any case its good to have these movies in high definition

I agree...any movie released on Blu-ray is a good thing. I would love to see "Mary Poppins," "Beauty and the Beast" (next year), and "Aladdin" from Disney (along with EVERY Pixar film ).

Of the three "classics" they've released thus far, I like "Pinocchio" the best. I guess I'm not a big fan of the Disney princesses.

David Vaughn

Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

I agree.. I like those titles as well...and between sleeping beauty and pinoccio I also like the later the most.. I hope Peter pan and Robin Hood to be released soon...

Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave,

I agree.. I like those titles as well...and between sleeping beauty and pinoccio I also like the later the most.. I hope Peter pan and Robin Hood to be released soon...

Forgot about those two...I like them as well.

David Vaughn

Old 10-03-2009, 08:42 PM

Liked: 11
When I watch the Disney commercial for this film, and they show the before and after, the restored version looks drained of color, the browns look gray.
The previous DVD looks lush by comparison.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob West View Post

When I watch the Disney commercial for this film, and they show the before and after, the restored version looks drained of color, the browns look gray.
The previous DVD looks lush by comparison.

Greetings,

Not a problem here Rob.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM

I saw that Disney TV ad again, the changed the scene comparison shots, much better now.
Go figure.............
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM

In the eyes of a young child, it's never slow..., it's only a dream...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for justifying this purchase. A friend of mine offered to burn me a copy that "since the movie is old it's not worth a Blu Ray". I'll be happy to report your findings that he too respects.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph or anyone else,

Can any of you discern or tell the difference between these two other than it's packaging?

# 1
http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-T...4749467&sr=8-1

# 2
http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-T...4749467&sr=8-2

Or is it just a packaging/marketing material? Looking to buy this as a birthday gift for my niece.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Just the packaging...discs are the same.

David Vaughn

Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM

The content of the two discs is exactly the same, they are just marketing it to both camps (Blu-Ray & DVD) with their own unique packaging.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Great review Ralph.

I just ordered it from Amazon.com for 9.99. Just enter "snowhite" in the promocode at checkout to save 10 bucks from the 19.99 price.

Art
Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Godd review Ralph. Will we be seeing a review of Wizard of Oz?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpro5 View Post

Godd review Ralph. Will we be seeing a review of Wizard of Oz?

Greetings,

Thanks! Unfortunately I won't be covering The Wizard of Oz..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM

I got the sleeping beauty's BD and found it gorgeous. Once upon a dream is a dream. I had Pinochio and went back my childhodd days. If you wish upon a star will be always unforgettable, really heart touching. And now sleeping beauty. Back to my early age again. One day my prince will come needs no comment. Walt Disney was a genius.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Great review Ralph.

I just ordered it from Amazon.com for 9.99. Just enter "snowhite" in the promocode at checkout to save 10 bucks from the 19.99 price.

Art

Awesome, Thanks for that. Saved me five bucks and a trip to Best Buy!

Mike
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

David,

Saw your review for Snow White at Ultimate AV. I cannot wait to watch this film tonight. It may be a rather late night as I want to catch the Twins and Tigers game first (maybe it will get out of hand) and get to Contact as well. Guess I'll be rather "Sleepy" at work tomorrow!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Robert. Enjoy it! Who are you rooting for in the Twins vs. Tigers?

David Vaughn

Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

The 1.33:1 framed video is pillarboxed in black however Disney offers the option of viewing it via their DisneyView option where the pillarboxes feature custom artwork by Toby Bluth.

If they do as good a job with DisneyView on Snow White (blu-ray) as they did with the recent Pinocchio (blu-ray) release, I recommend watching it this way. The artwork on the pillarboxed borders was subtle and appropriate for each scene and provided a more pleasing alternative to ugly blank black borders on 1.33:1 animation of this kind.

I'm usually a purist when it comes to preserving original aspect ratios and would prefer there be no visible borders at all by eliminating them with an effective masking system. However, since my home theater doesn't have such a masking system, I watched Pinocchio (blu-ray) with this new DisneyView option and I was surprised by how much I liked it for this kind of material.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The aspect ratio is technically 1:37:1 (Academy Aspect Ratio)

David Vaughn

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Bd Live W Dvd Packaging