Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 385
attachment.php?attachmentid=155666&d=1256152718
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2009
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 80 Minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Kristin Chenoweth, Lucy Liu, Mae Whitman, Angelica Huston, Raven Symone, Jesse McCartney
Directed by: Klay Hall
Written by: Evan Spiliotopoulos
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 27, 2009

"Tink and Pixie Hollow are back in an all new magical adventure"

Film Synopsis:

The tale of Disney’s favorite fairy, Tinker Bell, continues in an all new magical adventure beyond Pixie Hollow! Discover how the Pixies make their magic dust! Let your imagination soar as autumn comes to Pixie Hollow. Take off in a hot air balloon with Tinker Bell on an enchanting secret journey to find a new moonstone, the source of the Pixies mystical dust. In her biggest adventure yet, Tinker Bell needs the help pf old friend Terence and new friend Blaze the firefly as she braves an astonishing new world and discovers the greatest treasure of all.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=155752&d=1256218658

In the original Tinker Bell, for the first time ever, fans heard Tink’s voice, met her fabulous fairy friends, got a glimpse into the world of Pixie Hollow and learned about her true origins and the unexplainable, mystical wonders of nature. In Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure Tinker Bell’s greatest adventure yet takes place in Autumn, as the fairies are on the mainland changing the colors of the leaves, tending to pumpkin patches, and helping geese fly south for the winter. The rare Blue Moon will rise, and when its light passes through the magical Fall Scepter that Tinker Bell has been summoned to create, Pixie Hollow’s supply of pixie dust will be restored. But when Tinker Bell accidentally puts all of Pixie Hollow in jeopardy, she must venture out across the sea on a secret quest to set things right. Along her journey Tink meets new friends, including Blaze, a cute and courageous firefly that helps Tinker Bell complete her mission. It’s a long and dangerous journey, full of astonishing encounters, a few narrow escapes and a daring rescue by Tink’s friend Terence.

This is a fun, family friendly animated adventure with a cute story that can be enjoyed by young viewers and their parents. It brings back the charming characters from the first film and adds a few new ones while offering a positive message about responsibility and friendship. As I said in my review of the first film “The story is wonderfully balanced and voiced by a great cast. Joel McNeely’s beautiful music score provided an excellent backdrop for the film which certainly enhanced the aspect of its telling. Viewers are sure to fall in love with these cute and cuddly characters that are truly staked in Disney tradition. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am sure that your family will as well.”

Parental Guide:

This is a Disney film that the whole family can watch.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=155750&d=1256218658

Tinker Bell and the lost treasure comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

The original Tinker Bell looked beautiful on Blu-ray Disc and this presentation is even better. It shares all of the original’s attributes and offers improved blacks and deeper image penetration during darkened segments. Pixie Hollow is awash with lustrous and vibrant hues that are wonderfully diverse and make for visually engaging eye candy. Greens are particularly vivid with visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to the color of their clothing, hair, eyes, or skin. Images are immaculately resolved with pristine quality and fine minutia that shows strict attention to detail regardless of perspective. During the scene where Tink visits Fairy Gary I was able to see individual strands of hair that comprise his long ear to ear mustache as it flowed when he moved his head. The facial features of the various characters had a lifelike quality that allowed them to display a varied range of emotions. Contrast and black levels strike a great balance as whites are bright, detailed and punchy while blacks have excellent depth and appreciable delineation. This is a resplendent, polished, and beautifully rendered Blu-ray presentation that looked fabulous on my large front projection display.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail and beautifully crafted music and the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio handles it superbly. Joel McNeely’s music is the centerpiece of the surround mix and features well articulated instrumentation that doesn’t rely on the power of the bass drum or timpani. It relies on the subtle delicacy of strings and brass which is mixed with the variety of nature’s sound effects to create an involving surround experience. Dialogue is definitively authoritative with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films associated sound effects. Low frequency effects are not in your face but there is ample bass present where appropriate. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that was clearly audible even during busier sound sequences. Things like the soft flutter of Blaze’s wings or the crisp crinkle of falling leaves as they fell to the ground were perceptible. I found this to be a well balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this wonderful animated family film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD)Magical guide to Pixie Hollow – Interactive map with descriptive narration by Tinker Bell and Terence

• (HD) Outtakes and bloopers

1. Scenes you never saw – 4 minutes
    2. 8 deleted scenes

• (HD) Backstage Disney – Pixie Hollow comes to Walt Disney World/Epcot Center Dedication – 8 minutes

• (HD) Music and more – “The gift of a friend” music video by Demi Lovato

• (HD) Learn how to take your favorite movies on the go with Disney File

• (HD) Sneak peeks:

1. Santa buddies
    2. Ponyo
    3. Dumbo 70th Anniversary Edition
    4. G-force
    5. Beauty and the beast – Diamond Edition
    6. BD-Live access
    7. Disney File – Digital Copy Bonus Disc/DVD
attachment.php?attachmentid=155751&d=1256218658

Tinker Bell and the lost treasure is an endearing animated film from Disney that continues in the same vein as the original and makes for wholesome family entertainment. Fans can look forward to her continuing adventures in upcoming Disney Fairy Series films. Disney’s consistency in turning out strong high definition audio/video presentations on their animated Blu-ray Disc titles continues with this release as it offers breathtaking visuals and excellent lossless sound. The bonus supplements aren’t extensive but do offer young viewers the chance to interact with Tink in the magical realm of Pixie Hollow. This is a film that not only looks and sounds great but can be enjoyed by the whole family.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the review, Ralph! My wife teased me for watching the first one, but I'm a sucker for well-done animated movies! I'll probably have to give this one a rent.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #3 of 17 Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
Excellent. Thank you for this. One more to pick up...

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #4 of 17 Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

My niece would love this!

Collect!
post #5 of 17 Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thankyou Ralph my Daughter is expecting this soon

Frank

post #6 of 17 Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thankyou Ralph my Daughter is expecting this soon

Greetings,

My pleasure Frank, enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the review. We really enjoy the first Tinker Bell movie. I am definitely going out to buy this one.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Our family really liked the first one. We all have watched it at least a couple times, with the kids watching it quite a bit more!

There's a coupon for ten dollars off on the Disney website, but it's only good til Halloween.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM

FWIW, I used the $10 coupon today to purchase a Tinkerbell and Sleeping Beauty BR for $40 minus $10 coupon at Best Buy...

Otherwise, you can get the Tinkerbell for $14.99 plus tax at Best Buy when you use the coupon (they'll price match Target's sale price of $24.99 minus $10 coupon).

Link to coupon:

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/an..._coupon_tbccom
post #10 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Even better, get Best Buy to price match the Toys R Us sale of $21.99 and get it for $11.99 after coupon...
post #11 of 17 Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Just ordered this. I can't believe I am looking forward to it but the family got such a kick out of the first one. It was much better than I would have thought and this sounds like it should be pretty good too.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #12 of 17 Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Just ordered this. I can't believe I am looking forward to it but the family got such a kick out of the first one. It was much better than I would have thought and this sounds like it should be pretty good too.

Greetings,

Be sure to post back and let us know what you and your family thought. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 17 Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Liked: 11
I tell you what Ralph you haven't let me down yet. I get almost every movie that you score over 90. My friends made fun of me for getting the first one, that you rated high as well. But once they saw it on my tv they knew why I got it. The little one loves the first one so I am defentially buying this one. But of course I always read your reviews first. Keep up the great reviews.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

I tell you what Ralph you haven't let me down yet. I get almost every movie that you score over 90. My friends made fun of me for getting the first one, that you rated high as well. But once they saw it on my tv they knew why I got it. The little one loves the first one so I am defentially buying this one. But of course I always read your reviews first. Keep up the great reviews.

Greetings,

Thanks much Z. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 17 Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Random Thought for this movie: Tink keeps referring to "mouse cheese" as in Blaze ate all her mouse cheese.

Does this mean it's cheese they feed to mice (why is she eating it if it's for the mice? if it's not only for the mice, why not just call it cheese?) or does this mean, since cows are a little big for a faerie to milk, that the source of the cheese is a herd of domesticated mice?

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #16 of 17 Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Great review Ralph!

Having seen the first, and now this installment of the latest Tinkerbell movies, I have to say that this one seems to have a richer, more engaging story than the first. The character interaction actually has real meaning. The final scenes of the movie are spectacular visually. My kids seem to agree.

The PQ is incredible, with nice deep blacks, and fine detail up the wazoo. Strong vibrant colors are used throughout, with some color tones (I remember some of the blues especially) that really stand out, but not over the top. That’s one fun thing about computer generated animation; the use of an extended color pallet, without making things look strange since it’s all “make believe” anyway.

SQ is very good, with plenty of voice articulation.

PQ 5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5 (based on how well the kids liked it)

Dan
post #17 of 17 Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Finally got it tonight daughter was very happy and the bonus DVD was a plus. Great for the car.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page