Starring: Tom Frederic, Janet Montgomery, Tamer Hassan, Gil Kolirin
Directed by: Declan O’Brien
Music by: Claude Foisy
Written by: Connor James Delaney
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 20, 2009

"What you don’t see will kill you"

Film Synopsis:

The first course for the bloodthirsty family comes when a group of campers arrive, realizing only too late that ticks aren't the only things that bite in these dark backwoods. When some of the most vicious killers in the country escape from a prison transport bus, Three Finger and his family may have met their match. Will justice be served on the convicted murderers or upon the mutant killers? Whatever happens, Wrong Turn 3: Left For Dead delivers one bone-crushing moment after another right to its terrifying end!

My Take:

Personally I am not a big fan of slasher style films however those that incorporate decent characters, suspense, and cohesive storytelling are tolerable. Unfortunately for Wrong turn 3: left for dead it has none of those attributes and is among the worst films I have had the displeasure of enduring. The poorly conceived and nonsensical script borders on absurdity while lacking character development and smooth pacing. Rather than simply being a film about the maniacal mutant cannibal Three Finger and his terrorizing/murder of a band of unsuspecting victims it attempts to build in a story with him as more of a secondary antagonist. It opens with two young river rafting couples that pull up on shore adjacent to Three Fingers’ domain. Three of them brutally fall victim to either his bow or creative use of razor sharp gadgetry which slices and dices them. The fourth, Alex, manages to get away but finds herself lost and on the run. Things then switch to a local penitentiary where two inmates that are being prepared for transfer are plotting to escape during the transport. A small group, which includes several uninvolved inmates and two guards leave the prison on the bus. As luck would have it they are traveling through Three Finger’s territory and lo and behold he runs them off of the road causing the bus to crash. One of the guards is seriously wounded and in the confusion the inmates led by Chavez gains control of a shotgun and pistol. The two guards and inmates venture into the woods and subsequently find themselves not only on the run from the authorities but Three finger as well. They stumble upon Alex and she unwillingly becomes part of the group as they attempt to locate a nearby ranger station in order to contact Chavez’ people and escape.

The remainder of the film contains a series of ineffectual scares, incessant bickering among the inmates, a ridiculous subplot involving a 40 year old abandoned armored car, and a befittingly predictable and uninspired ending. Being a slasher film it is of course bloody for bloody sake however the noticeably low budget left its make up/special effects unconvincing. The editing was pretty bad as well. There was a scene involving a female sheriff’s deputy that began as though she would become a Three finger victim but thanks to a less than smooth edit it just abruptly ended. I noticed a sequence where the sheriff is standing near his patrol car using the car’s police radio. He then walks over to the overturned prison bus and begins using his portable radio. While he is transmitting/speaking over the portable the camera angle changes and he is back standing in his original position at the car speaking on the car radio (but still continuing the same radio transmission that began on the portable near the bus). The cast of relative unknowns weren’t very impressive although in their defense they had little to work with. The film’s 92 minute runtime seemed quite a bit longer to say the least. Unfortunately those are 92 minutes of my life that I won’t be able to get back.

** It should be noted that the disc’s case indicates that this is a dual layer BD50 Blu-ray disc however it is in fact a single layer BD25.**

Parental Guide:

The film contains strong bloody, graphic violence, partial nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Wrong turn 3: Left for dead comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

This video presentation offers fair high definition quality but falls below the standard set by the better releases I have seen on Blu-ray. Images are clean with average high definition resolution that brings out enough subtle refinement in close up shots so that they appear firmly resolved. Long range and mid level camera pans are not as resolute which results in objects in backgrounds lacking definitive clarity. Colors aren’t especially engaging but considering the less than vivid tones used I thought they came across naturally. Most of the film takes place at night. Blacks are stable and fairly deep while detail in the uneven and limited lighting offers good gradational quality and depth of field. Flesh tones appear tonally delineated with discernible highlights and warm complexions. This is not an action film but it does have elements that raise its level of intensity. Overall I thought that the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack was good. The thing that struck me initially was the mix’s predominance on the front channels. The surrounds do carry light atmospheric sounds and later perk up with discrete directional cues during the chase, crash and gunfire sequences. The soundstage feels mildly compressed and doesn’t have the enveloping presence required to be completely involving. Bass response is very good which enhances the impact of explosions, weapon fire, and the roar/rumble of Three finger’s pick up truck engine. Dialogue is full bodied with defining tonal character and excellent room penetration. High level detail is apparent as voices, low level background sounds and other recorded effects are rendered with superior clarity and articulation.

Bonus Features:

• Wrong turn 3 in 3 fingers..I mean parts:

1. Action, gore, chaos – 9 minute featurette
    2. Brothers in blood – 5 minute featurette
    3. Three finger’s fight night – 3 minute feauturette

• 2 Deleted scenes

Final Thoughts:

Wrong turn 3: left for dead isn’t a very good movie. It can’t overcome a poorly conceived script, repetitive, ineffectual horror elements, and bad production components that all leave it as a film better left on the shelf. If you happen to be a fan its Blu-ray Disc presentation from Fox features fair video quality, good lossless surround sound and the same bonus supplements found on the DVD release.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 225
So do you think this is blind buy material?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL, I think I will skip this one.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeimages View Post

LOL, I think I will skip this one.

Same

Frank

post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Actually I haven't seen this one is a few years but it was very enjoyable. Watched it with company and it was a big hit ont he big screen (110"). People jumped during the movie and smiled when it was over.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM

It's funny that if you want to see a creepy film that's worth watching are usually foreign now. Then Hollywood attempts to make an American version that falls short.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

Actually I haven't seen this one is a few years but it was very enjoyable. Watched it with company and it was a big hit ont he big screen (110"). People jumped during the movie and smiled when it was over.

You sure your not referring to the original Wrong Turn? The original was pretty good but both sequels are horrible!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I just finished watching Wrong Turn 2 the other day and I was warned these movies went downhill big time after the first one. After watching 2, I didn't really enjoy it as much as the first movie and I'm not even going to bother with the 3rd.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

It amazes me how studios green light bad movies even before they make them. Surely they must know how bad these movies are before there shot.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

funny, i found Wrong Turn to be mediocre for a horror movie and Wrong Turn 2 to be entertaining as hell. It was more fun to watch than the first one. Henry Rollins kicked ass. Sure it's campy fun, but it's a direct to video horror movie. You guys watch these movies like you're expecting them all to be as good as Let the Right One In or The Exorcist. Trying enjoying things for what they are a little more. You're letting your expectations keeping you from having a good time. I haven't watched 3 yet, but my expectations are appropriately low so I probably won't be disappointed. You guys probably hated Punisher: War Zone which was way more entertaining than the previous Punisher movie too. You know what movie let me down. Terminator 4. That was a huge letdown. Why bother casting Christian Bale to play the lead role if the whole movie is just going to be one cg action scene after another? Every scene with no cg and just people acting sucked. Why even bother paying all that money for Bale if you're gonna make a 90 minute demo for current cg technology instead of a legit movie? That was crap.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking forward to rent this one.Was this film sent directly to BD without theatrical showing?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page