Aliens In The Attic (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Aliens In The Attic (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Lee Weber's Avatar Lee Weber 06:53 PM 11-07-2009
attachment.php?attachmentid=157468&d=1257530874
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 86 minutes
Genre: Family/Adventure/Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Cantonese, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
Starring: Kevin Nealon, Doris Roberts, Ashley Tisdale, Henry Young, Tim Meadows, Andy Richter
Directed by: John Schultz
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Mark Burton, Adam F. Goldberg
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 3, 2009

"The Aliens vs. The Pearsons"

Film Synopsis:

It’s summer vacation, but the Pearson family kids are stuck at a boring lake house with their nerdy parents. That is until feisty, little, green aliens crash-land on the roof, with plans to conquer the house AND Earth! Using only their wits, courage and video game-playing skills, the youngsters must band together to defeat the aliens and save the world -- but the toughest part might be keeping the whole thing a secret from their parents!

My Take:

I don't generally watch kid or family films (the Pixar/Dreamworks animation stuff excluded) so I didn't have high hopes when sitting down to get into this one. But guess what??

I had a blast!!

As far as plot, there really isn't much meat here. Aliens come to take over Earth but must obtain something first. That something is under a house in Maine where a family is vacationing, now it's up to the kids to fight the Aliens, courtesy of Home Alone. The movie is set at this one location and it never bored me as it is well paced (maybe it was the under 90 minutes runtime). There are some clever jokes for the adults and goofy gags that had me laughing out loud. The CGI Aliens didn't have the most fluid motion but their interplay and personality's more than made up for it. Doris Roberts as Grandma was just awesome (kung-fu Grandma!) and Robert Hoffman as Ricky was a riot, especially when being mind controlled by an alien device. The cast of Tim Meadows, Kevin Nealon, Andy Richter and Ashley Tisdale were all nice familiar faces but it was the children that surprised me- they were all believable. There is plenty of fun for the little ones here, when my son is a bit older I bet he will really enjoy 'Aliens In The Attic'.

My rating reflects what kind of movie this is, not how it measures up against Lawrence Of Arabia. I can confidently say that parents can stomach, and might just enjoy this one. If you are expecting 'Aliens In The Attic' to be anymore than a fun, goofy family movie then it's not for you...that's what the filmmakers aimed for and I would say they hit their target(audience).

Parental Guide:

Rated PG for action violence, some suggestive humor and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Aliens in the Attic is presented on Blu-ray disc from FOX featuring 1080p AVC encoded video @ 22 MBPS and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio.

I feel like I am raving about this movie. I can't lie, the video was top notch. It was sharp, had great shadow details and black levels shined on my system. The only problem I had was that the colors were a bit over-saturated, I won't knock it for that as it was fitting to the story added a bit of bubblegum to the look. There was no real grain to speak of and the CGI aliens added a fun 3Dish look. FOX hit it out of the park as this is definitely eye candy.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio track did all it was called upon to do effortlessly(I wished there was more moments to showcase it). The track certainly was dynamic, the surround channels were used with taste and made me feel like I was in that house, and when the LFE kicked in it KICKED IN!! The audio did not disappoint.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Introduction to Film with Ashley Tisdale

• (HD) Alternate Ending

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Behind the Zirkonians

• (HD) Meet the Zirkonians: Interactive Feature

• (HD) The Ashley Encounters

• (HD) Lights, Camera, Aliens!

• (HD) Brian Anthony "Electricity" Music Video

• Fox Movie Channel Presents Life After Film School With Barry Josephson

• Kung Fu Grandma

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

I want to add that Aliens in the Attic has a decent dose of bonus features. For the adults, "Fox Movie Channel Presents-Life After Film School With Barry Josephson" was a pretty interesting look at being a film producer.
If you want a mindless popcorn flick to watch with your kids that won't have you looking at your watch and has well above average audio and video- then I think 'Aliens in the Attic' will be right up your alley.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (5.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

sb1's Avatar sb1 08:35 PM 11-07-2009
Thanks for the review, Lee. Hadn't really heard much about this movie until now.
nelson57's Avatar nelson57 08:57 PM 11-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Thanks for the review, Lee. Hadn't really heard much about this movie until now.

Thanks for the review Lee. I'll pick this one as a result. Congratulations on the new role. Look forward to hearing from both you and Ralph.
Hksvr4's Avatar Hksvr4 09:10 PM 11-07-2009
Nice review Lee.
gridbug's Avatar gridbug 10:53 PM 11-07-2009
Let's not tiptoe around the burning question here...

How does this measure up against the sheer mind-blowing insanity that is Mac And Me?!

Unfamiliar? Netflix to the rescue!

HoustonPerson's Avatar HoustonPerson 09:03 AM 11-08-2009
Lee your "final thoughts" seem to be "right on"

We just watched this yesterday with our Kids and GrandKids. It did bring back "ET" momments LOL. BD picture and HD audio was great on our system. A fun movie for all ages.
Kroenen's Avatar Kroenen 11:32 AM 11-08-2009
Great review Lee.

A fun movie IMO. Usually a rental will suffice, but I enjoyed it enough that I plan on picking up a copy at some point.

The little girl (Ashley Boettcher) was adorable. If she doesn't make it big one day I'll be surprised.

I'm no fan of Ashley Tisdale but IMO she looked pretty good in that bikini.
butsu's Avatar butsu 07:24 PM 11-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Great review Lee.

A fun movie IMO. Usually a rental will suffice, but I enjoyed it enough that I plan on picking up a copy at some point.

The little girl (Ashley Boettcher) was adorable. If she doesn't make it big one day I'll be surprised.

I'm no fan of Ashley Tisdale but IMO she looked pretty good in that bikini.

Seems interesting for me,thanks.
Anthony Cler's Avatar Anthony Cler 03:20 PM 11-09-2009
Great review, I'm always looking for a fun family film. I was planning on renting this but may pick it up instead. Sounds like it has plenty of replay value for my boys.
Kroenen's Avatar Kroenen 01:52 AM 11-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

Seems interesting for me,thanks.

Please let us know what you think after viewing it.
cfryer's Avatar cfryer 03:05 PM 12-01-2009
Would not have rented this for my kids if not for this review. Did rent it and it was a huge success for my 9 year old and even my 4 year old. They probably watched it more than ten times in the 2 weeks I had it. My kids liked this more than any other movie I brought home in the last 6 months.
Lee Weber's Avatar Lee Weber 05:24 PM 12-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

Great review, I'm always looking for a fun family film. I was planning on renting this but may pick it up instead. Sounds like it has plenty of replay value for my boys.

Thanks Go for it, it worked well for cfryer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfryer View Post

Would not have rented this for my kids if not for this review. Did rent it and it was a huge success for my 9 year old and even my 4 year old. They probably watched it more than ten times in the 2 weeks I had it. My kids liked this more than any other movie I brought home in the last 6 months.

Awesome, I am glad!
Franin's Avatar Franin 07:31 AM 12-14-2009
I'm going to pick this one for the kids, thanks for the review.
Davird_Jr's Avatar Davird_Jr 10:36 PM 02-22-2010
Just picked this one up and everyone really enjoyed it. Pretty family friendly too, which even kids movies aren't sometimes.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 08:58 PM 02-23-2010
Many reviews I read for this totally panned it. I gotta say you bucked the trend and I agree with your review. Just saw this with the kids. Ages 4 through 11 and they and my wife and I really enjoyed it. No Pixar, but for a live action kids movie it was really fun and entertaining.
Tags: Aliens In The Attic Blu Ray
Up
Mobile  Desktop