Forrest Gump (Blu-ray) 15th Anniversary Edition Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
attachment.php?attachmentid=157675&d=1257711829
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1994
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 141 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s):English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Starring: Tom Hanks, Sally Field, Robin Wright Penn, Gary Sinese, Mykelti Williamson , Michael Connor Humphreys
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Music by: Alan Sylvestri
Written by: Eric Roth based on the novel by Winston Groom
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 3, 2009

"The story of a lifetime"

Film Synopsis:

"Stupid is as stupid does," says Forrest Gump (played by Tom Hanks in an Oscar-winning performance) as he discusses his relative level of intelligence with a stranger while waiting for a bus. Despite his sub-normal IQ, Gump leads a truly charmed life, with a ringside seat for many of the most memorable events of the second half of the 20th century. Entirely without trying, Forrest teaches Elvis Presley to dance, becomes a football star, meets John F. Kennedy, serves with honor in Vietnam, meets Lyndon Johnson, speaks at an anti-war rally at the Washington Monument, hangs out with the Yippies, defeats the Chinese national team in table tennis, meets Richard Nixon, discovers the break-in at the Watergate, opens a profitable shrimping business, becomes an original investor in Apple Computers, and decides to run back and forth across the country for several years. Meanwhile, as the remarkable parade of his life goes by, Forrest never forgets Jenny (Robin Wright Penn), the girl he loved as a boy, who makes her own journey through the turbulence of the 1960s and 1970s that is far more troubled than the path Forrest happens upon. Featured alongside Tom Hanks are Sally Field as Forrest's mother; Gary Sinise as his commanding officer in Vietnam; Mykelti Williamson as his ill-fated Army buddy who is familiar with every recipe that involves shrimp; and the special effects artists whose digital magic place Forrest amidst a remarkable array of historical events and people.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=157676&d=1257711829

Mama always says. well, you know. Forrest Gump is a true cinematic masterpiece and a definitive achievement for its cast and filmmakers. It tells a complex story about a simple man whose daily life touched many but from his point of view was looked at as just another day. Forrest Gump has learned through the love and devotion of his mother that the world is a better place because he is in it. His limitations don't define who he is, his actions do. He is a deeply good man, the kind that god looks after. His successes in life are inspired by his innocence and ardent devotion to honesty, love and dedication to his word. Gump is such a wonderful film. Its multifaceted story is deeply enriching and allows us first row seats to view life as seen from Forrest's perspective. We experience a range of emotions as we laugh, cry, and feel for him as he works his way through one of the most turbulent and influential periods in our nations history. The film expertly and entertainingly inserts and exerts Forrest's presence and purported influence during its various stages thanks to the digital trickery and visual effects wizardry of Ken Ralston. Star Tom Hanks' gripping Oscar winning performance is strongly supported by an incredible cast that truly elevated the film's impact. Gary Sinese's memorable portrayal of LT. Dan Taylor carried nearly as much depth as Hanks' and as a team they provided some of the best moments. Mykelti Williamson's small but pivotal role a Bubba has to be his crowning achievement. I like Robin Wright Penn but find her to be one dimensional as an actress. Luckily the seemingly unlikable adult Jenny played to her strengths. As for Sally Field, little needs to be said, as she is one of the finest actors of her generation. Forrest Gump director Robert Zemeckis knows how to captivate his audience. His instincts as a storyteller and visionary are proven and this film places another feather in his already well featured cap. Forrest Gump is an American film classic and justly deserves that recognition. It is one of the finest films I have ever seen and I am absolutely thrilled to see it come to Blu-ray Disc. Paramount forwarded the collectible 15th Anniversary Chocolate Box Gift set for review. The set includes to the two disc Sapphire Series Blu-ray presentation and comes packaged in a chocolate box with chocolate scent, a commemorative booklet and a replica Forrest Gump feather bookmark.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for drug content, some sensuality, language, and war violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Forrest Gump comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

Having owned Forrest Gump on DVD since its release I am familiar with how it looks in standard definition and have always felt it presented well. I had hoped that its presentation on Blu-ray would build upon its attributes and am happy to report that it improves upon the DVD in every respect. Images are three dimensional, exquisitely detailed, and at times seem to visually transcend the boundaries of the camera's lens to provide the looking through a window perspective. Colors are visually stimulating with rich, vivid highlights and natural rendering that looks superb. Fleshtones are delineated with enriching complexional structure and lifelike depiction. Contrast is strong without being distractingly overstated and blacks are dynamic, with deep, gradational quality and revealing detail in low lighting and shadowy backgrounds. Grain is rendered in fine visible layers that rarely drew my attention. This is a pristine and near reference quality presentation that looks impressive and is sure to please regardless of the size of your display.

Forrest Gump is essentially a dialogue driven film however its multilayered story contains elements that require it to deliver engaging and dynamic sound capable of eliciting visceral moments. For those familiar with the film we all know that those moments come during the Vietnam and ocean storm sequences. The lossy Dolby Digital sound on the DVD presented these segments well with good dynamic range and tactile response. This lossless DTS-HD Master Audio encoding easily bests it with superlative clarity, deeper, tighter bass and an incredibly wide and dimensional soundstage across the front of the room. This mix can be deceptive in terms of its use of the entire surround platform. In listening it has deep room penetration that has an enveloping nature however it reality the surrounds are rarely engaged. The sounds of pouring rain, explosive/falling debris, gunfire and jungle ambience emanate from the front channels. There are several discretely placed effects such as the napalm dropping fighter jets which veer left/right splitting the rear sound field after dropping their loads. Or the entrance of helicopter in the beginning of the Vietnam war segment. Occasionally mild ambient detail is bled through the surrounds and extends the depth of the front soundstage but honestly it really doesn't require it. The front soundstage is noticeably diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail which is as good as I have heard. Bass is powerful with room energizing depth that can be felt throughout the listening area. Dialogue is rendered with succulent depth and descriptive tonal character which elevates the clarity of voices including Tom Hanks running monologue. This Blu-ray disc offers an incredibly nuanced and dynamically sound audio presentation that shed new light on an already good soundtrack and made it a great one.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Commentary with Robert Zemeckis, Steve Starkey, and Rick Carter

• Commentary with Wendy Finerman

• (HD) Musical signposts in history - 4 minute featurette

• Disc 2:

• (HD) Greenbow diary - Behind the scenes video production diary - 26 minutes

• (HD) The art of screenplay adaptation - 26 minute documentary

• (HD) Getting past impossible - Forrest Gump and the visual effects revolution - 27 minute featurette

• (HD) Little Forrest - 14 minute featurette with Michael Connor Humphreys

• (HD) An evening with Forrest Gump - at USC - 55 minutes

• Archival special features:

• Makeup of Forrest Gump

• Through the ears of Forrest Gump - sound design

• Building the world of Forrest Gump - production design

• Seeing is believing - visual effects

• Screen tests

• Trailers

Final Thoughts:

Forrest Gump is a classic film that provides a bit of escapism to an imaginative yet very real world as seen through the eyes of one of cinema's most genuine characters. Its superlative cast, creative imagery and apt direction make it supremely entertaining. Its long anticipated release on Blu-ray Disc from Paramount is an impressive one that has it looking and sounding marvelous. There is a bevy a new bonus features (presented in high definition!) that take us further inside the production as well as the inclusion of the archival feature set offered on the previous DVD release. This is a must have for every film fan and I give it my highest recommendation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This looks like a pretty good movie. I had heard of this 1 but didn't know much about it. Nice review Ralph. I will have to check this 1 out. Thanks for your hard work!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #3 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

This looks like a pretty good movie. I had heard of this 1 but didn't know much about it. Nice review Ralph. I will have to check this 1 out. Thanks for your hard work!

Woe you never seen this? I guess I should be surprised I've never seen ET, and I want to be buried that way

Great review Ralph..

Djoel
post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice review Ralph! I bought it this weekend but haven't had a chance on giving it a spin..
I bought this one, the Clone Wars Season one, GI Joe and love actually... I had only had the chance on watching the first disc on the Clone Wars and GI Joe...
With this good review can't wait to see FG!

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #5 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks, Ralph. Very nice review.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #6 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"Farrest Gump and Blu-ray goes together just like peas and carrots, Jennay."

post #7 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

You have a nice treat ahead, I am envious of you getting to experience this for the first time! Enjoy.

Thanks for another great review Ralph. I will be picking this one up!
post #8 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks all. This one looks and sounds great. Have fun..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hmmmmm, maybe I WILL upgrade this one afterall.
I mean, it IS one of my favorite movies ever
post #10 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
You know I'm getting it. I use the quote in my signature!

He got a daddy named Forrest, too?
post #11 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice review,Ralph.I watched this one at the theater in DTS and it was amazing CGI and sound,very active surround in those days but as LD,DVD and the lastest,BD made me disappointed about the sound again,somekind of Dolby Prologic remixed as Dolby Digital or DTS-HD Masteraudio.Please notices, there is not even splitting or active surround at Nam war scene but the PQ is sure great quality,just my recollection.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just finished watching this a few hours ago. My roomie had NEVER seen it before, and he liked it well enough. I cried like a baby, of course. "I miss you so much, Jenny". *sniff, sniff*. Beautiful picture and sound. A great blu-ray for sure!
post #13 of 22 Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM

I think I will have to retry this one. I am one of few who didn't quite feel as enthusiastic about this movie as many others, but the last time I saw it I was quite younger than I am now. This glowing review seems like the perfect 'excuse' to revisit this film, with a slightly more mature outlook on life! Looking forward to it. ps....did I miss Ralph's review of Revenge of the Fallen and G.I.Joe? I don't remember seeing them... (sorry for the off-topic...)
post #14 of 22 Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Since this is an all time classic favorite of mine, definitely a collect! Didn't even know it was coming out in BR.

Just curious but when you received this Blu Ray did it come in that fancy chocolate look alike box? I'm guessing when you buy this it comes like that (in the picture you posted) correct?

Thanks for the usual Ralph.

Cheers
post #15 of 22 Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Since this is an all time classic favorite of mine, definitely a collect! Didn't even know it was coming out in BR.

Just curious but when you received this Blu Ray did it come in that fancy chocolate look alike box? I'm guessing when you buy this it comes like that (in the picture you posted) correct?

Thanks for the usual Ralph.

Cheers

Greetings,

If you elect to buy the special edition yes. There is also a Sapphire Series that comes in a standard slim profile type case.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 22 Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Favorite movie of all time.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Yes, I'm envious of what's ahead for you as a first-time viewer, too. Also, be sure not to shut it down as the end credits roll. Stay for a recap of Alan Sylvestri's beautiful and inspiring musical themes. Imo, Alan Sylvestri's score was another Oscar this multi-Oscar'd pic deseserved but didn't win.

That was one of those years where the Academy combined scores for comedy/drama with musical films in the same category. Naturally, the big Disney hit musical, The Lion King, took the award. It was, after all, a musical. But Sylvestri's contribution to Forrest Gump would definitely have been recognized as the best if non-musical films had maintained their own category that year. It is well worth sitting through every moment of those final credits to hear the reprise of it.

And while I'm at it, another great oversight that year was that Robin Wright Penn didn't even get a nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She was terrific in it.

I watched the "An evening with Forrest Gump" Q&A bonus feature on this Blu-ray disc the other night. Hanks was again very generous in crediting the actor who played young Forrest with establishing that now iconic vocal characteristic.

Great review, Ralph.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM

While this is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, and the picture looked great, I noticed the sound--especially surround aspects of it--on the bluray, was very disappointing. I had to crank up the receiver on this one.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere72701 View Post

While this is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, and the picture looked great, I noticed the sound--especially surround aspects of it--on the bluray, was very disappointing. I had to crank up the receiver on this one.

Hard to believe you found the sound lacking. Were you listening to the dts-MA soundtrack? The sounds in the Vietnam battle scenes were especially noteworthy as described in Ralph's review.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #20 of 22 Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 PM

Yes, we were listening to the DTS MA--I even checked it, because it seemed the sound was a bit muted (even compared to the menu sound).
post #21 of 22 Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere72701 View Post

Yes, we were listening to the DTS MA--I even checked it, because it seemed the sound was a bit muted (even compared to the menu sound).

That is interesting. I did some further reading on Blu-ray.com user reviews and noticed the same variance in how people perceived the audio. Some thought it was great and others were disappointed like yourself.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forres...-Reviews/4736/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #22 of 22 Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I went back and forth between the lossy 5.1 audio on the DVD and the high resolution lossless on the Blu-ray Disc during my evaluation. Both had similar attributes in terms of the surround mix but I didn't have any problems with balance. The mix really doesn't make active use of the surrounds throughout so those expecting that type of activity may feel disappointed.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Forrest Gump Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Forrest by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page