Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Anne Heche, Margarita Levieva
Directed by: David Mackenzie
Music by: John Swihart
Written by: Jason Dean Hall
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 10, 2009

"I don't want to be arrogant, but I'm a very attractive man”

Film Synopsis:

In SPREAD, Nikki (Ashton Kutcher) isn’t a gigolo. He’s a sexual grifter, a fun-loving, freeloading hipster who understands his greatest assets are his looks and sexual prowess, which he uses to charm his way into the hearts of the city's richest women and enjoy their lifestyle. Nikki gets a free place to live, fantastic gifts, A-list access, and plenty of sex. The women get to feel young, beautiful, and utterly fulfilled in the bedroom. It's a mutually beneficial set-up... That is, until Nikki is forced to choose between love and money, and decide whether he can live on his own once and for all in the hopes of finding something real.

My Take:

Nikki seems to have it all. He gets the hottest, richest woman in Hollywood, then gets them to flip the bill. He gets free clothes, his lifestyle supported and gets to stay in their multi-million dollar "spread's"...Until the day he realizes that he really has nothing and must decide between his vapid lifestyle or love/standing on his own two feet. Morality bites!

I never found Ashton Kutcher to be engaging, but he did surprise me here, especially in the last act where he actually had to emote. The only thing that got to me was his voice-over's that at times sounded like Christian Bale's Batman voice. Anne Heche was great and stood out as Nikki's main "sugar mama", Samantha. They have a great chemistry as well as quite a bit of almost soft-core scenes together. Be warned, for good or bad, this movie sure does have a lot of naked people. The movie is labeled as "Drama, Romance, Comedy". I didn't get much in the way of humor unless it went over my head, which I doubt. The romance between Nikki and Heather (Margarita Levieva) creates the movies main conflict. He finds his match and challenge in her as she is living a parallel life. Unfortunately, for the movie, it's a case of too much, too late. It's not until the last 30 minutes that Spread finally begins to open up- when it does it's a decent little movie. I say give it a go when nothing else is pending on your "must see" list.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong sexual content, nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

Spread is presented on Blu-ray disc from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD Audio.

I found the video presentation to look a little soft. Colors looked nice and natural as did flesh-tones, black levels and shadow detail were both solid. I did notice a bit more "dancing" grain in the bright areas then I would like to see- it looked a bit more than a natural film-grain. When showing the lavish Hollywood locations, poolside hills views and the most exclusive nightclubs, I found myself feeling a bit underwhelmed...it needed more pop! I feel like I am splitting hairs at times, even if its not the best Blu-ray video-wise, it still very nice, its just not reference quality.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio track was better than the video but nothing I will remember. The dialogue was clear, it was mixed well but there was really nothing that made it really shine. The LFE was nice when it was used (only in the nightclub scenes with that techno bass "umpf umpf umpf umpf") and the surround ambiance was there but didn't add or subtract to the movie. This was a dialogue driven drama and the track suited it just fine.

CIH guys, the subtitles do not go below the 2.40:1 frame. The Disks main menu is CIH safe.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Ashton Kutcher, Anne Heche and Margarita Levieva

• (PIP) Urban Sprawl: Los Angeles

• (HD)Living the Dream: The Making of 'Spread'

• (HD) Behind the Scenes with Ashton Kutcher

• (HD) Featurette: The World According to Nikki

• (HD) Spread Theatrical Trailer

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

This is definitely not a film for everyone. Its a look into a world that we know exists but (thankfully) don't tread in. Whether its worth a visit is a hard call. If the first hour was less about silly carnal excess and more like the last 30, we would have a winner. To see Ashton Kutcher pull of a good dramatic performance (as well as some of the...*Ahem*... scenery) made worth it for me. I can recommend this as a back-up plan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (5.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Lee,

I guess I'll put this on a backup list from Netflix. They are back to the long wait and very long wait with hot titles. I know OT, but annoying.

Been a tough year finding good films.

Joe
post #3 of 5 Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Thanks Lee,

I guess I'll put this on a backup list from Netflix. They are back to the long wait and very long wait with hot titles. I know OT, but annoying.

Been a tough year finding good films.

Joe

Is this movie actually considered a hot title? I think it only made about 2 or 3 hundred thousand in the states didn't it? I'm surprised it's even out for blu ray.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this in the movie theatres and thought it was a great movie. Kind of gives you an idea of what happens to models when they hit rock bottom.

Collect!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wouldn't call this movie perfect by any stretch...but we did find it more enjoyable than most new rentals this year. Definitely wasn't expecting as much nudity or Anne Heche to look as good as she did.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page